Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
frozen celery and bell peppers

If I buy celery and bell peppers they go bad before I can use them up. So now when I buy them I use my vidalia chop wizard that I just love

and chop them and freeze them (separately not together). It is so great to have these on hand when you need them.
Does anyone else have any good hints like this?
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Zer
Stats: 5'10"; 65; 508.7/_320.0_/199
WOE: Atkins: <5%Carb; J-UD/DD(<2798/560cals); 128ozH2O
Start Date: Got scale at 432.4(2/8/08); 376.8(2/8/09)
My celery used to go bad before I finished it, and I'd pitch the last few limp stalks with a sigh, but now I do not separate stalks to break up a bunch of celery - and it lasts, keeps on growing the leafy stalks at the center as I chop from the top, across the bunch, to get what celery I want on a daily basis. No more wasted celery. It's always fresh and crunchy. For me, this is wonderful. Do try it, to see what a miracle it is to have fresh growing celery in the fridge. My heap of greens for a salad is a heap of thin-shaved celery sliced from a crisp bunch of celery with the center leaves growing up beyond the trim of the outer stalks. For me, this is quite a savings! No more wasted celery!
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
If I buy celery and bell peppers they go bad before I can use them up. So now when I buy them I use my vidalia chop wizard that I just love and chop them and freeze them (separately not together). It is so great to have these on hand when you need them.
Does anyone else have any good hints like this?
I have never frozen celery, but that is a good idea. The "Vidalia chop wizard" looks interesting, and since you really like it, I am thinking of getting one. After checking, I see Target has them in stock. Is it possible to cut the veggies in different shapes, or just dice it? Does it work easily?

I also cut the celery without removing the stalks as mentioned, and that really does work well. I have also heard that you can recrisp celery by dipping it into ice water. I haven't tried that myself.
Another freezing tip is to buy a nice clump of Italian flat leaf parsley, wash it, pat it dry, and chop it for recipes. Then spread it on a cookie sheet and freeze the chopped parsley. I then put it in a zip lock bag in the freezer. You remove the amount that is needed for a recipe, and it is not frozen into a big clump. In my opinion, dried parsley is rather tasteless. This frozen parsley remains bright green in color, and tastes like fresh!
creativelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
skg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skg
Stats: 220/169/140
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: March 31, 2008
Do you have to do anything to them before you freeze them, like blanch them or anything? How long do they last in the freezer? Would love to do that since I buy a six pack of peppers at sams and a lot of times mine goes bad before I can use them all up.
skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I always cut up bell peppers and put them in a quart size freezer bag. If you want them to be looser, like individual pieces, you can flash freeze the pieces or slices on a cookie sheet and then put into a freezer bag or container.

I didn't know you could freeze celery. Thanks for the tip, skeeterN. I'll do that as my celery always goes bad before I can use it up.

Also wrapping the celery in aluminum foil when its in the fridge, will really extend the life of the celery...and so does putting it in the handi-vac or vacuum sealed bags.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
, you can flash freeze the pieces or slices on a cookie sheet and then put into a freezer bag or container.
This is what I do for both the celery and bell peppers

Quote:
I didn't know you could freeze celery. Thanks for the tip, skeeterN. I'll do that as my celery always goes bad before I can use it up.
Yes it works. I also do not use celery very often so I must do this or not have it on hand. It lasts a long time
Old 08-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativelc View Post
The "Vidalia chop wizard" looks interesting, and since you really like it, I am thinking of getting one. After checking, I see Target has them in stock. Is it possible to cut the veggies in different shapes, or just dice it? Does it work easily?
It is very easy to use and it just chops in two sizes. Small diced and larger diced. But you just put it on the blade and push down. Can't be easier than that.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
It is very easy to use and it just chops in two sizes. Small diced and larger diced. But you just put it on the blade and push down. Can't be easier than that.
Ok...That works! I think I need another kitchen gadget. LOL
Old 08-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I know this isn't exactly what this thread is about, but, Krogers has bags of chopped onions and green peppers in the freezer section. They are great and no more chopping to do. Cheap too, like 88 cents per bag.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #10

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativelc View Post
Another freezing tip is to buy a nice clump of Italian flat leaf parsley, wash it, pat it dry, and chop it for recipes. Then spread it on a cookie sheet and freeze the chopped parsley. I then put it in a zip lock bag in the freezer. You remove the amount that is needed for a recipe, and it is not frozen into a big clump. In my opinion, dried parsley is rather tasteless. This frozen parsley remains bright green in color, and tastes like fresh!
Yes! I do this with all my fresh herbs. I love cooking with herbs but can never use them fast enough. I got this idea from Rachel Ray!

You can also peel and freeeze chunks of fresh ginger.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
Yes! I do this with all my fresh herbs. I love cooking with herbs but can never use them fast enough. I got this idea from Rachel Ray!
You can also peel and freeeze chunks of fresh ginger.
The frozen ginger is a good one! I used to buy a small piece of ginger, broken off of the source. Now by freezing it, dried up ginger is no longer a problem, it is easy to grate, and always available.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Anyone know what affect freezing would have on radish/turnip/daikon?

I've been making faux stuffed potatoes lately by slicing a large turnip in 1/2" thick slices, then nuking in bowl of water in micro for approximately 8 minutes or until baked potato consistency. These can then be removed to baking sheet and topped with bacon bits, cheese, green onion. Bake until cheese is melty, then top with dollup of sour cream or yogurt.

Frankly, I skip the cheese 'cause I'm limiting calories -- the bacon/onion/sour cream do just fine in evoking the flavor of the real thing for me, and I get to omit the baking part and just top the turnip slabs with a sour cream/onion/bacon bits mixture after being nuked (and paper-towel dried a bit).

Never can work my way thru the turnips before they start to get a bit moldy, tho. . . .
Old 08-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Anyone know what affect freezing would have on radish/turnip/daikon?

I've been making faux stuffed potatoes lately by slicing a large turnip in 1/2" thick slices, then nuking in bowl of water in micro for approximately 8 minutes or until baked potato consistency. These can then be removed to baking sheet and topped with bacon bits, cheese, green onion. Bake until cheese is melty, then top with dollup of sour cream or yogurt.

Frankly, I skip the cheese 'cause I'm limiting calories -- the bacon/onion/sour cream do just fine in evoking the flavor of the real thing for me, and I get to omit the baking part and just top the turnip slabs with a sour cream/onion/bacon bits mixture after being nuked (and paper-towel dried a bit).

Never can work my way thru the turnips before they start to get a bit moldy, tho. . . .

I haven't ever tried it, but this link might help.
How to freeze turnips and parsnips from your garden or the shop* (directions, recipe, and free)
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/127/124? 5'2"
WOE: Low carb, fast 5
Dh loves brown rice. Do you know how long it takes to boil that stuff!! It takes forever!! So I cook about 2 cups worth. Measure 1/2 cup servings, put into sandwich bags, put all into a freezer bag and freeze. Voila rice in no time. Works great.

I also keep the skin, and bones from store bought rotisserie chicken in the freezer and when I have enough, I make a big batch of soup stock. Strain the skin and bones out and add veg.

tea cup
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:28 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsadm
Stats: Way too big/Too big/Much smaller
I buy a bunch of vidalia onions when they are on sale, and saute them in butter. Then I put in small batches in little bags to use for individual recipes, in 1 big freezer bag. Saves that chopping part of an onion for a recipe and then not using the rest of it.
mrsadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Perfect, Nigel, thanks!
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote