Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
Yup, blueberries. I actually ended up using stevia and erythritol, I found a grossly overpriced bag at the supermarket. I ordered a ton from your favorite place so I won't get stuck paying $16 for a 1.5 lb bag again. But I plan to try it with Splenda since it is so much cheaper and easier to procure.

I adore your chocolate recipes most because you've figured out how to make the sweeteners work where Splenda wouldn't. That's where erythritol/stevia really shine.

I have a couple recipe suggestions/requests for you! One is to create something using rhubarb. The season is past now but I have a bunch in my freezer. It is super low carb as well as tasty.

The other - well, we ate out the other night and DH ordered the Kahlua chocolate mousse. He only orders desserts that he thinks will be really special and worth it, otherwise he confines his sweet-eating to the stuff I make at home. Anyway, the mousse was chocolatey and tasty enough, but there was NO Kahlua flavor at all. He was disappointed. I'm sure an LC version wouldn't be too hard to throw together!

My 2010 Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...0-journey.html
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2009, 03:43 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Mandy, have you ever made Dana Carpender's Mochalua? It's a low carb version of Kalhua, and it lasts in the fridge forever. You could also use Davinci's Kahlua sugarfree syrup.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
I have seen the Mockalua recipe, but have never made it because we never drink Kahlua! I could see it working in cooking though. The Davinci's is too weak, it doesn't taste like Kahlua to me.
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Kahlua is pretty simple to make. You could sub out your favorite sweetener for the sugar.

6 cups sugar
6 cups water
20 teaspoons instant coffee
1/2 gallon vodka
12 teaspoons pure vanilla

Directions:

Mix sugar, water, coffee together and bring to slow boil. Turn heat down and simmer 1 hour. Remove from heat, cover liquid with plastic wrap. Let sit for 12 hours, then remove wrap. Add vodka and vanilla, stir well. Bottle in dark bottles.

Drinkable immediately. Recipe may be halved.
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
^^That's really cool, Angie! Have you tried it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeGal View Post
Yup, blueberries. I actually ended up using stevia and erythritol, I found a grossly overpriced bag at the supermarket. I ordered a ton from your favorite place so I won't get stuck paying $16 for a 1.5 lb bag again. But I plan to try it with Splenda since it is so much cheaper and easier to procure.

I adore your chocolate recipes most because you've figured out how to make the sweeteners work where Splenda wouldn't. That's where erythritol/stevia really shine.

I have a couple recipe suggestions/requests for you! One is to create something using rhubarb. The season is past now but I have a bunch in my freezer. It is super low carb as well as tasty.

The other - well, we ate out the other night and DH ordered the Kahlua chocolate mousse. He only orders desserts that he thinks will be really special and worth it, otherwise he confines his sweet-eating to the stuff I make at home. Anyway, the mousse was chocolatey and tasty enough, but there was NO Kahlua flavor at all. He was disappointed. I'm sure an LC version wouldn't be too hard to throw together!
I know what you mean about Splenda being so difficult for chocolate desserts! It just never tastes right without a bit of sugar alcohol. A rhubarb recipe? Hmm, I know they still have rhubard in our local Whole Foods. They also have it frozen, too! I'll work on it.

Have you seen that low carb Davinci's syrup? I think they sell it at Target or Walmart. It looks promising. The Kahlua mousse sounds so good.

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 07-18-2009 at 02:53 PM..
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #36
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: mom2twoboys
Start Date: 10/26/05
These look like a work of art!
mom2twoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/189/135 (11-Jun)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I have to go to a BBQ pot luck today - now I know what I'm making (and I'll proudly put a label indicating that it's sugar-free and low carb) with a couple of cards containing the recipe.

All I need is the sour cream, so can get that at the store as soon as Lindsey wakes up.

Kewl, kewl, kewl.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
^^That's really cool, Angie! Have you tried it?

Sorry for the delayed reply! I did try this when I was younger, we let it sit in a closet for a month before drinking it though. Very good. Wonder if it would work as well with E or X and stevia......hmm....may need to give it a try!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
OMG, this has become my favorite dessert. First time made in 6" sq casserole dish. Now I double the recipe and bake in 11"x7" casserole dish. It fits perfectly in a 13"x9" for the water bath. FYI you can sub whole fat yogurt for part of the sour cream and the taste and texture are still wonderful. Thank you Lauren.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyeDoc
Stats: 122/107-109/108 5'1.5"
WOE: Mindful eating
Start Date: August 31, 2011 third time around
I made this last night and gave a piece to my husband this morning. This is the first dessert that he has given a "thumbs up" for. To quote him, "Good stuff, baby!" I am so pleased. It is going to be on the top of my list....especially for company!! Thank you!

ETA: I used 1/4 splenda and had to use some HWC in place of some of the sour cream...since I ran out...

I'll have to double the recipe next time!

Last edited by EyeDoc; 01-28-2012 at 05:57 PM..
EyeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'll have to try this. Absolutely lovely dessert. I love blueberry ANYTHING! But way too rich for breakfast, EyeDoc.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I made this again last weekend, had forgotten about it. It is so delish! I have made it with and without the crust, either way is
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdcri
Stats: 236/135 (GB in 2009)... now 160.8/152.8/125
WOE: Low carb - nothing specific
Start Date: March 2012
I made this and it was awesome!! i am going to make it again but with some lemon flavoring in place of the berries. So good!! i did find the crust too sweet though - so I would cut it down by half - to me shortbread crust should not be sweet.

I actually did not have any oat flour so I subbed some of Kevinpa's carbalose bake mix. It was fine!!

I do not understand how the amounts of swetener worked out though - both crust and filling state 1/4 c sweetener and then for the filling the stevia is doubled. I kept it at the lower amount.

I did double this recipe and put in a 8x8 pan - could have gone bigger but I like a high fluffy piece!!
jdcri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #44
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Have a crustless one in the oven now!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sofl
Stats: 190/147/?
WOE: Low carb/kinda Atkins
Start Date: June 2007
Can Oat Fiber be substituted for the Oat Flour in the crust recipe? I have oat fiber in the pantry...

Thanks
sofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I don't think oat fiber would be a good substitute for oat flour. I use bake mix instead of oat flour. Almond flour or flax might also work.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Soobee, thanks for the quick response.... I have the oat fiber and I don't remember why I bought it or what it's used for, I think I got it for the english muffin recipe I'll use extra almond flour. thanks again!
Old 07-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
If you have some oats in the house, just grind them up as fine as you can in a blender or food processor. I use it so rarely, that's what I do when I need oat flour and it works just fine in my recipes.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

buttoni, thanks for the suggestion. I only have the steel oats and I've read they are not the same as regular oats. I bought them a long time ago for a recipe and come to find out I read the recipe wrong, it said NOT steel oats. lol. I'm going to pick up some oats to have around for situations like this.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Do you have any coconut flour or flax...that may help...if not you could just use the almond meal and add a lil extra...them bake and cool the crust portion first...let cool then add the cheesecake mixture and re bake...I do this for pumpkin pie all the time.
I use this cheesecake batter recipe doubled for the best creamiest cheescake all the time...I have one in the fridge right now...if you put the pan you are baking the dessert in into another bigger pan with a lil water in it(this is called a water bath) it will keep the cheesecake from cracking when it cools.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

This is FANTASTIC!!! I used all almond flour for the crust and it was fine. I doubled the recipe and substituted splenda for the pure stevia extract. Baked it in a 10 x 10, used the water bath method and everything was perfect. I think this is my new favorite!!