Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ragtopwife
Stats: 198/189/145
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by feather319 View Post
Can this really work? This makes me question whether HOOD milk really has 3 carbs because milk lives off of the sugar in the milk. Is there really enough sugar in HOOD to keep the bacteria alive or do you think that there are really more carbs in hood milk than it says?
Yes it definately works with the Hood Milk. We are eating the 2nd batch of yogurt now and it is thick, rich, creamy and hands down the best yogurt I have ever eaten. No graininess at all in this batch. I hope to goodness the Carb count in Hood is not off! I don't eat a lot of yogurt for during OWL, but kids consume it every day. They have made me promise to not to buy store yogurt anymore.

I did not use gelatin this time either and yogurt was great so have concluded it is completely unnecessary in this recipe. I do toss each pint in a coffee filter lined strainer for 1/2 hour or so for maximum thickness... probably if I used cream I wouldn't have to do that. It decreases my total volume of yogurt by 1/4 to 1/3 but totally worth it. Then I flavor with pack of stevia and splash of Davinci's. Current faves being rasberry and chocolate. I find when I have a craving a Tblspn or two is enough as it is so rich and good.

I'm never sure about the true carb count in yogurt, I know it is debated.... 1 cup Hood is 3.... so I figured 1 cup yogurt at 3... then with excess whey drained it became 3/4 cup so I figured it then at 1 cup equals 4 carbs. Dunno if that is high, low or in the ball park....

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
Full cream has no carbs so I would say it has no sugar but makes fabulous yogurt so there must be something else at work here. All I know is that without gelatin it would remain liquid if the magic yogurt thing didn't happen and it sets up with Hood's Carb Countdown milk with or without gelatin.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Full cream has no carbs so I would say it has no sugar but makes fabulous yogurt so there must be something else at work here. All I know is that without gelatin it would remain liquid if the magic yogurt thing didn't happen and it sets up with Hood's Carb Countdown milk with or without gelatin.
Yep.. I guess what sugar Hood's has is enough to make the yummy magic!!

Do keep in mind too that heavy cream has 6.6 or so carbs in a cup.....
ragtopwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kazakiwi
My cream says 4 carbs per 100ml, so I only allow myself a 100g serving. It is definately teaching me portion control.
Kazakiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
I just bought a yogurt maker at my neighbors yard sale. I can not wait to try this. I am going to use the Hoods milk to save carbs. I have heard of a yogurt maker before but have never seen one. It has seven little glass jars that hold 6 oz each and comes with lids that you screw on after it is finished. My neighbor said she never used it after recieving it for Christmas as a gift. She says she goes through alot of yogurt and makes it in quart jars. I hope I get alot of use out of it.
kathy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

You will you will. I love those. My mum had one 30 years ago, and when I left home, I raided her kitchen cupboards for aplliances she no longer used and found it right at the back. She said I could have it!!!! Yeah. All the lids were lost, but, cling film and rubber bands worked. I love the size of the little pots, perfect for one.

Now I use an Easyyo yoghurt marker which makes jars of 1 litre, but I have just used glass mayo jars on top of radiators in winter etc.. I find yoghurt VERY easy to make and that it is really forgiving. I.e. I never use thermometers. i just check the cooled milk (now cream) with the outside of my pinky to see if it is a comfortable warm. Sometimes it is cooler than other times.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Ooooh..... I wanted a yogurt maker! I too remember my mom having one when I was a kid. Right now I am using the cooler/hot water method but I'm stepping up to a hot pad!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

I have my Hood Milk and Heavy Cream cooling right now, I hope this turns out!! I watched a guy making Greek Yogurt on a video and he uses whole milk and half and half. He took a pint of half and half and poured it in a pot, then refilled it with whole milk (out of a freshly opened half gallon). He then took the refilled pint and put it in the fridge for a later use. He took the remaining half gallon of milk and added it to the half and half in the pan. He says he likes the extra fat of the half and half. He was making the yogurt because he likes homemade, not trying to lower carbs..... He went on to strain it, put frozen blueberries in individual containers, top the blueberries with honey or agave nectar, add the strained yogurt, and top with walnut halves. (ALL ingredients were organic) He eats this every day for lunch. It looked very YUMMY!!

SO I thought I could do the same with Hood 2% and added 1 Cup of Heavy Cream. I am going to add 1 small container of Fage full fat as my starter. The instruction book that came with the maker says you can use your yogurt as a starter (1) time and should use a fresh starter every other time.
My yogurt maker takes 5 cups of liquid. I used 4 cups of Hood and 1 cup of Heavy Cream. I will see how it turns out. Hopefully I will like it as is and not need to strain it.
I like the little individual 6 oz cups that my maker has, and if I strained it, they would not be all nice and flat.

Off to check my temp. Wish me luck!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Oh how exciting! Let us know how it turns out!

I used a small carton of Fage the 1st time too. I've just saved back a couple of Tbsp from each batch and used it in the next batch without buying any new yet. So far so good. On my 4th batch.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

I don't strain it. The whey is very good for you. I mix it through.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:46 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

WELL.... the yogurt tastes good But, I wish it was thicker. I think I might try the knox gelatin next time and see if it helps. I know I could always strain it but, I like actually knowing exactly how many carbs are in my yogurt. I also think I might buy some yogurt starter in the packets I saw it at the CO-OP market. The guy in the video I watched used the packets of starter BUT he also strained it.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:56 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

You could try leaving it for longer next time. I leave mine at least 9 hrs, today it was about 18hrs, and it is almost as solid as cream cheese.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:58 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Good Idea, kiwikid I think I might try leaving it in longer next time. This time I took some out at different stages 8, 9, 10, 11 and 11 1/2 hours really not that much different. It still tastes good but I would like it thicker, especially if I want to flavor it with davinci syrup that would really make it thinner!

I am also thinking of just trying it with the carb countdown milk and not adding the heavy cream. I am at a point in my weightloss that I REALLY need to pay attention to calories I also am not eating the yogurt as a meal replacement, I use it for a snack so there is no need for it to be super filling. I think I might let my children help me eat the yogurt up so I can experiment with a new batch.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

I have good results with the Calorie Countdown alone and last time let it sit and work longer and it did make a thicker yogurt. The first few batches only sat for 6 hrs because by then the kids were circling the cooler like sharks with chum in the water! The last batch sat for 10 hours and was definately thicker. I'm making another batch this morning with CC milk. I think I will give it even more time and see how it does...
Old 08-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

I just made a batch of yogurt with whole milk for the family. I can't keep DS4 away when I am eating mine.

I did drain one of my 7 oz jars today, I have some of the cone shaped coffee filters in the cupboard so I put one of those inside a glass and folded it over the top and put a rubberband around it to hold it in place. Then I added one of the jars of yogurt and put a piece of plastic wrap over it. I put it in the fridge for about 3 hours and then added some davinci vanilla syrup to it and tossed about a tbs of blueberries in it YUMMY!!! From the 7 oz jar about 5-6TBS of whey drained off of it. It was very thick and creamy. I think if I drain it in small portions I will be able to practice better portion control. HOPEFULLY!!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

I have only just made my second batch of Full cream yoghurt. I won't eat it every day, but every second or third and I only allow myself to have 100g, so it lasts a good 2 weeks or more. On the weekend I am going to have some SF Jello and add the FC yoghurt to it.