Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Lighten up your week. . .Prepare on the weekend!

There have been a couple of threads recently where people are trying to get organized with their meal-planning along with other activities. I have a couple of files on cooking ideas for once a week or once a month. Just thought I'd share. Here's one I've had in my files for a long time. . .I use some of the ideas in it, but it's a place to start if you're struggling. Feel free to add what you've got.

One Weekend's Work:

Grocery List (this will cover more than just one week):
10 pounds of chicken thighs or breasts, cook ½ on shopping day, freeze the rest in dinner size portions
2 dozen eggs
6 cans of tuna
10 pounds of ground beef, cook ½ on shopping day, freeze the rest in dinner size portions
5 pound beef roast
2 boxes Lipton onion soup mix
6 cans chicken broth
6 can beef broth
large tub of yogurt
2 bricks of cream cheese, tub of sour cream
zucchini or yellow squash
red or yellow pepper
green onions, tomatoes, yellow onion, celery
6 cans French cut green beans
2 cans mushrooms
jarred alfredo sauces, 2 plain, 2 with cheese & garlic or whatever. . .

What to do with what you’ve bought (on shopping day):
*Take the 10 pounds of beef and divide in 2 parts. Take one part and place in a large Dutch oven and add 2 cans of beef broth and one envelope soup mix. Add 2 cans of water to that and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to break up the beef into smaller pieces. Reduce to simmer and continue cooking until all the moisture is gone. Cool the beef and then put into Ziploc bags in 2-cup portions. Freeze. Now you always have something ready to heat and eat! I add this to alfredo sauce and serve over French cut green beans. Very tasty and lowcarb.
*Now with the chicken, take half and boil it in chicken broth until the meat falls from the bone, remove bones and skin (if using boneless, cook until the chicken looks like shreds) return chicken to Dutch oven, and continue cooking until moisture is absorbed, add some red pepper and chopped onion for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove from heat. Divide into 2-cup portions and put in Ziploc bags. Now you have chicken for chicken taco salads, or Chinese chicken soup.
*Put yogurt in a mesh strainer over a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in fridge overnight to drain for Greek -style yogurt.

Cooking Day (do in this order for efficiency):
*Put beef roast in 325 oven in covered roaster with ½ cup water. Sprinkle 1 Tbls salt or seasoned salt and/or other seasonings all over surface of roast before putting it in the roaster. Add the water and one large yellow onion, sliced. Cook for 2 hours or until tender
*After you put the roast in, put six split chicken breasts in a baking dish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste and add ½ cup of water. Cover and bake along with roast. Chicken should be tender in 45 minutes or less.
*On the stove in a large saucepan, add the liquid from 2 cans French style green beans. Simmer uncovered until the liquid is almost gone, add a ¼ cup meat stock, 1 Tbls olive oil and beans. Simmer until liquid is almost gone, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate.
*Cut up a pound of yellow squash. Melt ¼ stick of butter in a pan and add squash. Cook over medium heat until most of the liquid is gone, stirring occasionally. Cut 2 large tomatoes in half. Scoop out pulp and seeds and add to squash. Wrap tomato shells tightly in plastic and refrigerate.
*Remove the thick yogurt from the strainer, discard liquid whey, and sweeten yogurt to taste.
*When chicken is done, wrap each piece and refrigerate. Add ½ cup of water to the pan and deglaze (wash off the brown stuff) with the liquids in the pan and a fork. Pour into a glass and refrigerate. Repeat the process for the pan with the beef roast.
*Cut the roast into three pieces. Slice one piece into 2 steaks. Dice one into large chunks. Shred or chop finely the third piece.
*Boil 6-12 eggs.
*Wash and refrigerate salad greens and veggies. Chop a sweet pepper and reserve some for salads, the rest in the squash.
*Make some devilled eggs.
*When fat is solid on top of stocks, remove it and discard. Reduce chicken stock (simmer uncovered until it reduces in volume) until it’s very strong. Melt 8 oz cream cheese in it. There’s chicken gravy.
*De-fat and reduce beef stock. Add a quarter of it to the green beans. Melt 8 oz of cream cheese and 8 oz sour cream into remaining beef stock. There’s beef gravy.
*Make meat salad with one chicken breast and some roast chunks. Add mayo and chopped celery, sweet peppers, pickles or whatever you think you will like. Also make up a few cans of tuna salad since you have the fixings for it already out. Stuff tomato halves with this for lunches and/or snacks.

This should all take less than 6 hours including cleaning as you go, or you can break it up over the day or 2 days. The point is that you can prep an entire week’s fast meals and snacks in a single cooking spree that will take far less time than cooking the same menu daily would. From Monday until the next weekend, you’ll do a lot less dishwashing and kitchen cleaning. A few hours on the weekend and you have fast food all week long. Since you have so much food prepped and will no doubt do something fresh as well from time to time, there will be plenty of stuff for snacking on as well.

Repeat weekly with different meats and veggies.

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy

Last edited by Mommie22boys; 07-23-2008 at 10:03 PM..
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
Kris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Mrs. Robbie Williams

Gallery: hippiegirl
Wow, what a fabulous post! This is what I've always wished for - the grocery list and everything! Did you make this up, or is it something you found somewhere?
hippiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

The bulk of this I found somewhere online ages ago. I only had a hard copy. I tweaked it slightly when I typed it out for myself. . .I've never followed all of this as written, but it has some good stuff in there. I've got other files on this topic I'll see if I can find and post them, too.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: whatjelly
Stats: 225/188/140
WOE: ZC
Start Date: back at it: July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie22boys View Post
it has some good stuff in there.
indeed it does!
whatjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
I've been doing prep on the weekend for a few months now and I love it. There's only me in my my house, so it only takes a couple of hours on a Sunday, and maybe some time on a Saturday, if I do something in the slow cooker both days. It's great not only for time saving, but also for just generally staying on plan, with a good balance of foods, and great for portion control. Saves money too, since the meal plan comes first, then the shopping list, meaning I buy only what I need and there's no wasteage.

Notes to self
  • You are not a special little snowflake.
  • When you mess up - forgive yourself, learn from it and move on.
junkfoodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Carol21950
WOE: Atkins
I think I'd want to find a low-carb or low-sodium version of the onion soup mix. That stuff is LOADED with sodium. Boiling it down will only concentrate the salt.

Otherwise, that's a bunch of great ideas. I totally agree that prep work just makes the week so much easier. No running around at the last minute and succumbing to takeout or the drive-through! Cheaper, too.
Carol21950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
I prefer to spend my weekends at the water park or beach (and that wipes me out when i get home) so I tend to pick Wed or Thurs afternoon/evening and pre-cook for the next week or so.
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dointhis4me
Stats: 258.8/249.4/165
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 3/17/14
Heres a great thread that can help as well....simple, easy recipes

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...t-recipes.html
dointhis4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laura in Arizona
WOE: Paleo/Protein Power
Start Date: June 6 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie22boys View Post
The bulk of this I found somewhere online ages ago. I only had a hard copy. I tweaked it slightly when I typed it out for myself. . .I've never followed all of this as written, but it has some good stuff in there. I've got other files on this topic I'll see if I can find and post them, too.
Wow, thanks so much!!!! Lots of good ideas. Just my husband and myself but I work full time and have lots of interests other than being in the kitchen. This will be a real help. Any other files you have on this topic would be awesome. The real key to success is being prepared so there is always plenty of good food ready to go.

One of the things I do is prepare plastic ziplock bags of fresh veggies. Cucumber, celery, 3-4 baby carrots, radishes etc. - one for me and one for my husband. When I get hungry I know I can always grab a bag for a snack or grab one to go with a protein for lunch.

Lets keep the make ahead ideas coming!

34 pounds gone, 28.5 to go
Laura in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Here's another file I found that tells you what you can do with all those cheap chicken parts you got on sale and then don't know what to do with. . .

Prepping Chicken for Batch Cooking

Prepping Chicken for a Session

When I get home from grocery shopping the night before a cooking day, I start my chicken. I always buy one or two 10 lb. bags of chicken quarters. I put it in my big stock pot along with celery tops, onion peelings and tops and bottoms, a bit of garlic and maybe a carrot if it strikes my fancy. Cover with water and heat to a simmer. Cover if you like and head to bed (about midnight or later for me). I get up in about 4 hours and turn it off. By morning it is cool enough to pick from the bone.

When I have finished picking the chicken, I put the skin and bones back in the pot and cook it for my broth. It simmers, with plenty of water, most of the day while I cook. This way I have lots of broth for my cooking and can make my chicken noodles that night for supper. When it has cooked for several hours I strain it and put it in the fridge so I can take the fat off of the top.

Yield: I consistently get 10 cups of nice chicken meat from a 10 lb bag.

Safety Note: Remember that a general rule is that food shouldn't be between 45 degrees and 140 degrees for more than two hours so if you are cooking a smaller amount than I do, you might not want to leave it sitting. Please as in all things use common sense.

All Purpose Chicken & Broth from the Crockpot
I like to use those big oven roasters here -- but make sure it will fit in your crockpot. Also Chicken backs or 29cent chicken quarters work great..
1 Onion, sliced
1 Carrot, sliced
1 Celery rib, sliced
1 large Chicken, 5 lbs or more
1/2 c Chicken broth or water

Place sliced vegetables in the bottom of the crockpot. Sit cleaned chicken on top, neck up. If you wish you may season with herbs, pepper, etc, but this is not necessary. Pour broth over, cover and cook on low 8 or 9 hours.
Remove chicken from pot and let cool until easy to handle. Meanwhile, strain stock and defat. This stock is double strength, so mix with equal parts water for use. Remove chicken from bones and cut into pieces sized appropriately for your recipe.

Yield: about 4 - 6 cups of chicken and 3+ cups double strength chicken stock.

Note : This is a painless way to obtain cooked chicken for salads, casseroles, chicken tacos, chicken salad, etc. An added bonus is the several cups of double strength chicken broth. Juicy, tender, flavorful chicken and a very rich broth for very little of your time.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, here's another batch cooking session. But this one is from my pre-LC days. Some recipes will need to be tweaked. Like, there's a meatloaf recipe that calls for bread crumbs, etc. . .You really could use your own (or perhaps LindaSue's) recipes for the meatloaf or lasagne ones here, but this gives you a good jumping off place. Also, there's a recipe for hash brown casserole listed, obviously NOT on-plan for us, but maybe Cleo or LindaSue can come up with a good substitute, like with shredded cauliflower, perhaps.

Once a Month Cooking

Beef Menu
Menu

Cooked Items:
Ground Beef Mix
Taco Meat
Spaghetti Sauce with Meat
Lazy Lasagna
Hash Brown Casserole
Freezer Stash Meatballs

Uncooked Items:
Bacon, Swiss and Mushroom Meatloaf

Shopping List

20# 92% Lean Ground Beef
4 Green Peppers
4 Medium Onions
1 2# bag frozen hash browns *or* equivalent amount homemade uncooked hash browns, rinsed well and blanched for 1-2 minutes (*Maybe use shredded cauliflower?)
6 bottles of your favorite store bought Spaghetti Sauce *or* equivalent amount of homemade spaghetti sauce
6 envelopes of taco seasoning *or* homemade equivalent
4 boxes lasagna noodles (not the NO-COOK variety) (*Maybe zucchini noodles or skip the noodles and use a layer of spinach instead?)
1 2# bag of frozen mixed vegetables
2# cheddar cheese
2# mozzerella cheese
1 can bread crumbs
3 cans cream of mushroom soup *or* homemade equivalent
2 cups sour cream
1# bacon
3/4# Swiss Cheese
1/2# fresh mushrooms
2 env. Dried Onion Soup Mix *or* homemade equivalent
3 Garlic Cloves
6 Eggs
Corn Flake Crumbs (*How about pork rinds)
1 pint Evaporated milk or half and half

Preparation

1) Use food processor to chop mushrooms, onions and green peppers.
2) Use food processor to shred all three cheeses.
3) Dice and cook bacon until golden brown and crisp, but not burnt.
4) If you want to cook the lasagna noodles half way, do so now.

Assembly

A. Ground Beef Mix
1) Saute onions and green peppers in 2 Tbsp. oil.
2) Add and brown 10# of ground beef (may have to do this in two pans).
3) When cooked thoroughly, set aside half of the mixture to cool while preparing spaghetti sauce. Take half of the remaining meat mix to use in the Spaghetti Sauce.
4) Label and date freezer containers/bags.
5) When the mixture is cool place meat into freezer containers or bags in 2-cup measurements.
6) Place in fridge to cool completely then freeze.

B. Spaghetti Sauce
1) Add all the bottles of spaghetti sauce into the half of the meat mixture.
2) Mix thoroughly.
3) Allow to cool slightly while assembling Lazy Lasagna.
4) Label and date freezer containers or bags and place 2-4cups of sauce in each while ensuring room for expansion during freezing. Use half of the spaghetti sauce this way and the other half for lasagna.

C. Lazy Lasagna
1) If not freezing in the cooking container, line the pan to be used with heavy-duty foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
2) Take a large spoonful of spaghetti sauce and spread it on the bottom of the pan.
3) Place a single layer of lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.
4) Add a generous amount of sauce on top (be sure all the noodles are covered completely.)
5) Add a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese. If you wish to add ricotta, feta or cottage cheese to so now.
6) Repeat layering process again this time leaving out ricotta, feta or cottage cheese.
7) Add grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
8) Cover and freeze. Once completely frozen, place in labeled ziplock bag and remove all visible air, seal and return to freezer.

D. Taco Meat
1) Take half of remaining meat mix and add taco seasoning mix (I like mine strong, so this may need to be adjusted for your family).
2) Add water according to directions.
3) Simmer at least 15 minutes or until reduced by half.
4) Allow to cool.
5) Label and date containers.
6) Measure 2 cups of mixture into each container, place in fridge to cool completely then freeze.

E. Hash Brown Casserole
1) Add frozen veggies and dry soup mix to remaining meat mix and stir together.
2) If not freezing in baking pans, line pan to be used with foil, lightly spray with cooking spray.
3) Divide meat/veggie mix into three pans.
4) Top with hash browns.
5) Cover and label.
6) Mix cream of mushroom soup and sour cream together. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
7) Divide soup/cream mixture into three one pint or quart sized ziplock bags.
8) Label, date and place cooking directions on three gallon sized Ziplock bags (or large enough to fit casserole).
9) Place covered casserole and one bag of sauce into each bag, remove all visible air and freeze.
10) To prepare: Thaw in fridge 12-24 hours, pour soup/sour cream mixture over the top (you may need to stir it up since it seperates a little) and bake at 350ºF for 30-60 minutes (depends on how thawed it is) or until
top is golden and bubbly.

F. Freezer Stash Meatballs
1) Divide remaining meat in approximately half.
2) Follow the recipe below:

Freezer Stash Meatballs

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 lbs. lean ground beef
1 1/2 c soft bread crumbs
3 eggs
6 Tbsp minced onion
3 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl mix all ingredients together.
Shape into 1 1/2 inch meatballs.(A miniature ice cream scoop makes fast
work of shaping). Arrange in two 10x15 jelly roll pans. Bake in preheated oven until
meat is browned, with no trace of pink and juices run clear, 10 to 13 minutes. Drain; let cool to room temperature, divide into thirds and freeze each portion in vapor moisture roof containers.
Kelly's Notes: I plan on trying a cookie scoop to form these and flash freeze and bag in a freezer ziploc.

Makes 48 meatballs; 8 servings

G. Bacon, Swiss and Mushroom Meatloaf
1) Follow the recipe below:

Bacon Mushroom Swiss Meatloaf

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 ounces bacon -- diced
4 medium white mushrooms -- chopped
1 small onion -- finely chopped
1 1/2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
1 egg
1/4 cup evaporated milk or half & half
6 ounces shredded swiss cheese
1/2 cup corn flake crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp but not burned.
Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and
cool. Remove all but a tablespoon of the bacon fat from the
skillet and saute the mushrooms and onions until tender.
Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, mix the beef, egg, and milk. Add the
mushroom/onion mixture, all but a few spoonfuls of the
swiss cheese and all but one tablespoons of the bacon
bits. Add the corn flake crumbs and mix well until blended.
Shape into a loaf and place in a large loaf pan.

Bake at 350 for about an hour, or until cooked through.
Drain fat from the pan and sprinkle the reserved cheese
and bacon on top. Bake an additional 5 minutes, or until
cheese is bubbly.

Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4 to 6
servings.

*This is something that I found online a while back. . .it's not my original stuff.

Last edited by Mommie22boys; 07-24-2008 at 12:43 PM..
Old 07-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
Naz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naz
Stats: 255/164.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2008
OMG! This is what I have been looking for! I am "absent-minded professor" type and need step by step for EVERYTHING! Thank you so very much, and I hope others who do similar stuff will share! Please, please, pretty please!!!
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Mommie22boys
This is great! do you have more.This is very helpful to many people Thank You.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Well, here's a few recipes that use your crockpot. You can make these ahead of time. . .included at the end of each recipe is how you can freeze and later thaw it out. If you're going to spend the whole day cooking in the kitchen, it's great to be able to get another meal all cooked in the crockpot. You could even borrow another crockpot from a friend for the weekend and get TWO crockpot meals cooked and stashed in the freezer! These are not my originals recipes, though, and may need a little tweaking to get them to be a better LC fit.

CROCK POT FREEZER RECIPES

Cream Cheese Chicken
from Suzanne Brenchley

1 frying chicken -- cut up (or use 3 pounds of boneless skinless breasts)
2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
salt & pepper -- to taste
2 tablespoons dry Italian salad dressing (1 pkg.)
1 can condensed chicken soup
8 ounces cream cheese -- cut in 1" cubes
1 tablespoon onion – minced (optional)

Brush chicken with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in a crockpot and sprinkle dry mix over all. Cover and cook on low for 6 – 7 hours. About 45 minutes before done, mix soup, cream cheese, and onion in a small saucepan. Cook until smooth. Pour over the chicken. Cover and cook another 45 minutes.

To freeze: Cool and place in 1 gallon Ziploc bag. Lay flat to freeze.
To Serve: Reheat and serve over rice, pasta or potatoes (or smashed cauliflower!).

BAKED CHICKEN BREASTS
2 - 3 whole chicken breasts, halved (boneless, skinless)
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 can (10 1/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. orange or apple juice
1 tsp. leaf tarragon or rosemary
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 can (4 oz.) sliced mushrooms, drained

Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry; place in crockpot. In saucepan, combine remaining ingredients and heat until smooth and hot. Pour over chicken breasts. Cover and cook on low setting for 8-10 hours.

Cool, bag, lay flat to freeze.
To serve: Thaw chicken and reheat. Serve as half-breasts with sides, or shredded on rice, or shredded on sandwich rolls (or Oopsies!).

Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore
This was adapted from “The Unwatched Pot”. It freezes very well. You can add mushrooms when you reheat it. It makes lots of sauce, so it is nice over rice or noodles (or Oopsies!). If you use chicken with bones in it, cool and de-bone the chicken after cooking and then return to the stew.

3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
3 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/3 cup bell peppers, minced
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 pinch cayenne
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup dry red wine

1. Makes 6 servings.
2. Place chicken in the slow cooker.
3. Cover with the onions, then add all of the other ingredients.
4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

I'll keep looking around for more. . .
Old 07-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #16
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
ok im drooling on myself now lol..
question though.. the top menu andrea, how many people is that for? like what size family??
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #17
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

ok and i just wanted to save this, because in a few weeks my work schedule is changing so I will not have as much time at home, so I must use it wisely!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurLuvsFromAbove View Post
ok im drooling on myself now lol..
question though.. the top menu andrea, how many people is that for? like what size family??
Well, that can be totally up to you. You're going to be the one putting things into freezer bags. . .you can decide if you want 1 or 2 cups of meat in a bag. The more bags you end up with, the more stocked your freezer is with more meals. . .you can do as much or as little of the list as you want.

I will say, though, that this list is really big. . .there's A LOT of meat here. I've never prepped this entire list all at the same time. I've always just picked what I wanted to do from this list, along with tossing in some of my own family's favorites, and done that in one day of cooking. I think the most meals I put away in one day was something like 27.

For reference, I have a family of four, me, DH, and 2 DS's (ages 4 and 6).
Old 07-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #19
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

I will deff favorite this post Andrea, thanks so much for this..
This will really help my family!
I might actually one up this, and make single servings of things for lunches so we can just grab and go..
I think this could save us alot of money too!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

That's awesome!
Old 11-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

I found another cooking list that looks both time- AND money-saving. Might work with a smaller turkey, now that turkeys are usually on sale this time of year!

Now, I didn't get this from a lc site, so you'll obviously want to serve these dishes up with your own sides. Or, when it says to serve it over noodles, just sub your own version of noodles (like spaghetti squash, zucchini ribbons, Dreamfield's. . .). Plus, the Chicken Pot Pie recipe will need a different topping. . .maybe just a crushed pork rind topping?

[COLOR="Sienna"]Crockpot Chicken: Three Nights of Meals[/COLOR]

From one day in the crockpot to three nights of meals:
1. Cream of Chicken Soup (with green peppers, served with bread or garlic bread).
2. Chicken Pot Pie (served with rice)
3. Cheesy Chicken Casserole (with cream cheese and red peppers served over egg noodles).

The first day you cook chicken and vegetables in the crockpot. That evening you take out two thirds of the chicken/vegetable mix and with what's remaining you add a couple of ingredients to the crockpot to make cream of chicken soup. Another night that week you can take another third of the crockpot chicken/vegetable mix and make chicken pot pie. The third night you can add a couple ingredients to what's left make a cheesy chicken casserole.
Once cooked, use it all within the five days -- you can freeze some, if you know you won't get to using it all that week.
6 onions
6 celery stalks
2 cups carrots chopped
2 cups frozen peas
3 cups frozen beans
chicken bouillon cube
2 cups water
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablesppon butter
6 chicken breasts
9 chicken thighs
salt, pepper
extra spices (celery leaves, thyme, parsley) or a vegetable bouillon cube, if to your family's taste.

cream
green pepper
cream cheese
bottled red pepper

Slow Cooker Preparation
heat onions and celery in butter until clear.
add carrots, peas, beans.
add boiling water and bouillon cube
simmer 5 min

lightly brown chicken pieces (optional step)

(can do those steps night before and store ingredients in fridge until morning -- don't put crockpot ceramic in fridge though,).

in the morning:
put chicken in bottom of slow cooker
put vegetable mixture on top
let cook 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.

1st night:
Ladle out two thirds of vegetable/chicken and set aside for next two nights. Store in fridge in plastic storage containers or directly into casseroles you will be using for other two nights.
(Note: Chicken pieces should just fall apart. If need be, can take out big pieces of chicken with a fork and cut into smaller pieces with scissors directly over crockpot.)

1st night: [COLOR="sienna"]Chicken Cream of Chicken Soup. [/COLOR]
To remaining third of vegetable/chicken mix in crockpot,
add 1 cup cream and 1 green pepper.
Heat on high for 20 min. (doesn't work on low - cream might curdle.)
Serve with bread, toasted baguette, or garlic bread

2nd night: [COLOR="sienna"]Chicken Pot Pie[/COLOR]
that morning: take out puff pastry to thaw.
that night: put vegetable mixture / chicken into casserole dish.
add a bit of milk or cream, if you prefer it creamy
cover with puff pastry.
cook 20-30 minutes at 350 until heated through and pastry browned.
serve with rice.

3rd night: [COLOR="sienna"]Cheesy Chicken Casserole[/COLOR]
With remaining 1/3 of vegetable/chicken mixture
add 1 pkg cream cheese, cubed
add roasted red pepper, diced (a couple peppers, about 1/2 the peppers in the bottle)
cook in oven at 350 for 20-30 min in casserole dish. OR put in saucepan and heat on stove top until cooked through
serve with egg noodles or rice
Old 11-15-2008, 06:53 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

And one other list I found about "pre-cooking". With pre-cooking, you're not cooking up a bunch of meals all at once, rather, you're prepping up food in quantity so that when it's time to make dinner you can get it together in a flash!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]"Pre-cooking"[/COLOR]

This is a great time saver and a fantastic way to get started filling your freezer. Have a lazy afternoon? Boil up some chicken. Having ground beef for supper? Fry up 5 pounds instead of 1. Fantastic sale on ground beef? Make up a big batch of meatballs. Having a few things started in the freezer will save you a TON of time in the kitchen.

[COLOR="darkgreen"]Examples of things that can be "pre-cooked": [/COLOR]
Ground beef - seasoned with garlic and onion - package in 2 cup portions
Chicken - shredded - package in 2 cup portions
Meatballs – find a recipe you love, make ‘em & freeze ‘em up
Chicken Broth - for quick soups
Sautéed Onions or mushrooms - make a quick onion soup, over steaks or burgers etc.
Diced Ham - for omelets, baked potato nights, pizza toppings etc.
Cooked and crumbled Bacon - same as above...

[COLOR="darkgreen"]Things not cooked but handy to have on hand: [/COLOR]
Cheese - shredded - package in 1-2 cup portions
diced onions - package in small sandwich bags then toss in a freezer bag
diced or sliced bell peppers - package in small sandwich bags then toss in a freezer bag
Old 11-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
great post marking my spot
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: O2BME
Stats: In Progress
WOE: My Way On HCG & It's Working
Start Date: RESTART 06/25/2009
Agree great post with some great recipes.
O2BME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Happycat21
Stats: Ugh. Can't use the "new baby" excuse anymore!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: every day
great ideas, marking my spot as well. Thanks!
Happycat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: JuliaL
Stats: 190/143/140 16/6/6, height 5'8", age 49
WOE: Atkins/BFFM
Start Date: 4/22/03
This is a great thread! Planning and preparing my food ahead of time has been my "secret weapon" for losing weight and keeping it off since I started Atkins. No more getting hungry at lunch time with no idea what I'm going to eat and too many junk food choices around. Now I know exactly what and when I'm going to eat every day, and it really helps me stay on track.
JuliaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
awesome!!!
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

bumping

It's that time of year when I don't want to rush home and cook. PLUS, I'm just finding my way back to LC and need to be able to cook on the weekend so I'm armed for the week with ready-made choices. Even the non-LC stuff is good, since I can get that prepped ahead for my family, then NOT have to stand at the stove cooking carbs every night of the week. I can just whip up somehting for myself while theirs is warming. =)
Old 02-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy2aCutie
marking my spot! Amazing post!
Mommy2aCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fawnmarie
Start Date: October 2008
I've just started OAMC cooking for the fam and saving lots - need to find a way to do OAMC low carb for me and teh hubs.
Marking my spot!
fawnmarie is offline   Reply With Quote