Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DaMomma
Stats: 190/179/165 5'9'' 42 years
WOE: Atkins/LC/NO WHEAT
Start Date: June 12, 2008
Egg Cream/ Germ-a-phob Question

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"]Okay, I've read all these amazing Egg Cream recipes and can't wait to try them. I love eggs, yet the thought of drinking raw eggs freaks me out. Do ya'll really put them in your drinks. I know not all of the recipes call for eggs, I just think the idea is a great one for the added protein.

I need some moral support here if I'm going to try this...:[/COLOR]
DaMomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
I use two raw eggs in my egg cream each morning. It's good and creamy and no hint of the taste of eggs raw or otherwise.
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
You can buy sterilized egg yolks and eggs whites. They're packaged separately, though, not as "whole eggs." The store where I shop stocks them right along with the EggBeaters. I believe it says on the cartons how much to use to equal one whole egg.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kirax2
I have read on this board that the chances of getting sick - not dying, just getting sick - from eating a raw egg are about one in thirty thousand. If this is true, I take a much greater risk getting in my car to go to work every day than I do by drinking my morning shake. Should I stop driving?

Tips:
1. Buy organic, cage free eggs if at all possible. Even better is if you can find a local person that raises chickens and sells the eggs. I live in Southern California, and was recently lucky enough to find just such a person down the street from me. I know his eggs are very fresh and feel very secure eating raw eggs I purchase from him. But even if you have to buy the ones you find at the grocery store, you should be fine if you go with organic ones. I can't afford to buy everything organic, but eggs are one thing I'm willing to pay a little extra for - it's worth it for the peace of mind IMO. Besides, I can really taste the difference (when I cook them - raw they don't have much of a taste).
2. Buy the freshest eggs you can, but don't stress too hard if you've had them in the fridge for a week. I buy 2 dozen at a time from my egg guy, and it takes me anywhere from 1-3 weeks to use them up, depending on what I'm making.
3. Properly refrigerate your eggs after buying them. Don't leave them in a hot car for a long time, or out on the counter.
4. Never eat raw an egg with a crack in the shell, even a hairline crack.
5. The salmonella will be on the *outside* of the egg, if it is there. Wash your eggs before use with warm water and a little anti-bacterial soap, and you will be fine. Even if you only do these last two things, your chances of getting sick will be virtually zero.

Finally, don't overthink it! Don't hyptonize yourself into feeling sick. Lots and lots and lots of people eat raw eggs every day. I'm fairly new to the egg cream shake myself, but I love it. I'm sure you will too.

-kirax2

Last edited by kirax2; 07-14-2008 at 10:23 PM..
kirax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Lot of thread on this forum on this.

And Yes, I do drink raw eggs in drinks, and eat them in ice cream. Have all my life. As did my folks, and theirs, and my in-laws.

And no, I don't buy organic eggs. I just buy eggs.

The study I read (wish I had saved it, but didn't) said one in 80,000 eggs.

As kirax2 said, don't phych yourself into getting sick.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMomma View Post
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"]Okay, I've read all these amazing Egg Cream recipes and can't wait to try them. I love eggs, yet the thought of drinking raw eggs freaks me out. Do ya'll really put them in your drinks. I know not all of the recipes call for eggs, I just think the idea is a great one for the added protein.

I need some moral support here if I'm going to try this...:[/COLOR]
I’m curious…how do you make your egg cream?

In my day you got an egg cream at the soda fountain in the drug store and it was chocolate milk with seltzer water. It didn’t have any eggs or cream in it.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
I’m curious…how do you make your egg cream?

In my day you got an egg cream at the soda fountain in the drug store and it was chocolate milk with seltzer water. It didn’t have any eggs or cream in it.
I looked up "egg cream" awhile back, and a "true" egg cream, as you said contains/contained NO eggs, nor usually cream.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 07-15-2008 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: left word/words out
Old 07-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I just want you to know you're not alone. I read all those posts on egg creams and while I was intrigued and WANTED to try them, it took many weeks before I got up the nerve. I was so afraid of the taste and texture (more the texture) of eating two raw eggs, but the shakes taste great and the texture is that of a regular shake. No one would ever guess it has raw eggs in it. I started with a pumpkin one and am now hooked on the ones made with coffee. I have them for breakfast now almost every morning and barely give the eggs a thought.

I got through the first one by giving myself permission to throw it out if I didn't like the way it looked. Then I gave myself permission to throw it out if I didn't like the very first small taste. For me, that helped.
sligh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sligh View Post
I just want you to know you're not alone. I read all those posts on egg creams and while I was intrigued and WANTED to try them, it took many weeks before I got up the nerve. I was so afraid of the taste and texture (more the texture) of eating two raw eggs, but the shakes taste great and the texture is that of a regular shake. No one would ever guess it has raw eggs in it. I started with a pumpkin one and am now hooked on the ones made with coffee. I have them for breakfast now almost every morning and barely give the eggs a thought.

I got through the first one by giving myself permission to throw it out if I didn't like the way it looked. Then I gave myself permission to throw it out if I didn't like the very first small taste. For me, that helped.
Would you mind posting your recipe for the coffee egg cream?

I’m a coffee freak and I have all these farm fresh eggs right off the presses; I would love to be able to make myself a breakfast frappuccino with them.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

[COLOR="Purple"]Excellent information and help. Kirax2, you offered wonderful insight. Thank you! This coffee version is the one I'm anxious to try. Will try tonight and let ya'll know the results.

Egg Cream Frappuccino

3 organic free-range/cage-free eggs (fresh!)
8 oz coffee (brewed strong & chilled overnight - or you can make & use coffee ice cubes!)
1 scoop Jay Robb's whey protein powder (chocolate or vanilla or strawberry)
splash of Torani or DaVinci SF syrup (french vanilla or chocolate or any flavor you like!)
2 Tbsp organic heavy cream
2 Tbsp organic extra virgin coconut oil (melted)

blend/froth eggs first; add cream and blend/froth again
(makes it fluffy!)
add the rest of the ingredients in the order above; add melted CO last[/COLOR]
Old 07-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
The recipe for Egg Cream Frappuccino in the previous post is the one I use too, although I only use 2 eggs and don't use the coconut oil.

I also meant to thank kirax2 for the excellent advice. Once I understood that I could avoid salmonella by washing the egg first, I felt more comfortable. I get the cage-free organic eggs and wash them and no longer worry about eating raw eggs.
sligh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I have no problem eating raw eggs. I've been eating them all my life -- 63 years. I've gotten sick one time, from an undercooked omelet.

I think that back in the old days, an egg cream might have actually contained a raw egg. I know Orange Juilius' did. The recipe changed when the government started their alert to the "dangers" of eating raw eggs. IMO, though, those dangers are very minimal.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

[COLOR="Purple"]I did it!! I just drank the Egg Cream Frap and LOVED it. No weird texture or taste, just YUMMY.

Thanks for all your help. I've found a new breakfast option.[/COLOR]
Old 07-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #14

Gallery: Houston Heather
Stats: 228/166/160 Waist: 42/31/31
WOE: Atkins 2002 Ongoing Weight Loss/pre maintenance
Start Date: Feb 26, 2008 (second and last time)
I guess I'm the one in 30,000.

I'm never playing those odds again and my eggs weren't even raw.
Houston Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

The original "egg cream" was long before Orange Julius or the egg scrare. And it contained no eggs.
There were however a LOT of drinks which did contain raw eggs.

When I was growing up, we drank what we just called "milkshake", which was milk, egg, sugar, and vanilla (basically uncooke eggnog WITHOUT nutmeg). Now alot of people would probably call it an egg cream.

Egg cream
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The essential components of an Egg Cream: Fox's U-Bet, Seltzer and Whole Milk.

An egg cream is a classic beverage consisting of chocolate syrup, milk, and seltzer (soda water), probably dating from the late 19th century, and is especially associated with Brooklyn, home of its alleged inventor, candy store owner Louis Auster.[1][2] [3]It contains neither eggs nor cream.
The egg cream is almost exclusively a fountain drink; although there have been several attempts to bottle it, none have been wholly successful, as its fresh taste and characteristic head requires mixing of the ingredients just before drinking. The drink could be described as a "poor man's ice cream soda," as it has a similar overall flavor, but traditionally sold for only a slight premium over an ordinary fountain soda. Egg creams are sometimes made with other flavors, especially vanilla or strawberry.

Name
The origin of the name "egg cream" is constantly debated. Stanley Auster, the grandson of the inventor, has been quoted as saying that the origins of the name are lost in time.[4] One commonly accepted origin is that Egg is a corruption of the Yiddish word echt ("genuine" or "real") and this was a "good cream". It may also have been called an "Egg Cream" because in the late 1800s, there were already many chocolate fountain/dessert drinks using actual eggs (e.g. 'Egg Brin'), and Auster wanted to capitalize on the name.
Another explanation comes from reports that it grew out of a request for "chocolat et crčme" from someone who had experienced a similar drink in Paris, which name morphed phonetically into the current version. Yet another plausible answer is that the first version did, in fact, use egg and cream, but due to the food limitations in WWII they were dropped from the recipe. One work from 1859, Domestic and rural affairs.: The family, farm and gardens, and the domestic animals, does include a recipe that consists of barely more than these two ingredients:
"Egg-Cream.-To the yolks of three eggs, and a dessertspoonful of good new milk or cream, add two drops of oil of cinnamon. This is a very good nourishing mixture. The oil of cinnamon is cordial and tonic, and the above has been recommended in lung complaints..."[5]
A similar recipe still was cited at the beginning of the 20th century, but had already dropped the cream:
"EGG CREAM.
The yolks of 6 eggs, 1/2 pint of water, juice of 1 lemon, 2 oz. of sifted sugar, a little cinnamon. Beat up all the ingredients, put the mixture into a saucepan over a sharp fire, and whisk it till quite frothy, taking care not to let it boil; fill into glasses and serve at once."[6]
Another from the same year (1915) uses both ingredients, though the intent here seems to be to reinforce whipped egg whites:
"3. EGG CREAM.
2 tablespoons fresh cream, the white of 1 egg.
Put the white of egg on to a plate and beat to a stiff froth with the flat of a knife. (A palette knife is the best.) Then beat the cream into it. This makes a nourishing dressing for either vegetable salad or fruitsalad. Especially suitable for invalids and persons of weak digestion."[7]
This supports another likely explanation for the name, which relates to the fact that the term "egg cream" was a very common term in the past (especially in the United States) for beaten egg whites, and the foam on the top of the beverage resembles these.

A New York Egg Cream.

In popular culture

In popular culture, the egg cream is often used to evoke a New York atmosphere, as something New Yorkers would typically drink, as something expatriate New Yorkers would particularly miss, or as something completely alien to people not from New York.
In the movie Kramer vs Kramer, Ted Kramer said to his son, that in his day "we had egg cremes which is a little bit of chocolate syrup, a little bit of seltzer water, and a little milk it tates delicous!"
In the children's book Harriet the Spy, set in New York, Harriet orders a chocolate egg cream at a luncheonette. In Spike Lee's film Jungle Fever, egg creams are ordered frequently at Paulie Carbone's candy store in Bensonhurst. In an episode of Who's the Boss, Tony Micelli, an Italian-American from Brooklyn, makes egg creams. In an episode of Hey Arnold! a millionaire loves egg cream so much that he has an egg cream dispensing robot named Mr. Egg Cream. On the long-running children's television program Sesame Street, which is set in New York, Hooper's Store offers egg creams for 25˘.
Jimmy Luxury's I Love Life features a woman reminiscing about the good old days when they used to "..drink egg creams and look at the boom boxes." In William Goldman's novel Marathon Man, Babe longs for an egg cream so much that he leaves his flat, where he is supposed to be hiding from potential attackers. In the film Squirm, a New Yorker has difficulty ordering an egg cream in a small town in Georgia.
On the television show The West Wing, in a scene that highlights a culture clash between the President's New Hampshire and Toby's Brooklyn, the President drinks an egg cream for the first time: "I know it sounds terrible, but trust me, I don't know where this has been all my life." "It's called an egg cream, Mr. President. We invented it in Brooklyn."
On the television show Homicide: Life on the Street, in season 4, episode 9 Detective Frank Pembleton orders an egg cream and becomes upset when he receives what he dubs "not an egg cream."
After the comic book supervillain Black Adam was captured by Captain Marvel, the magic word that gave him his powers was changed from "Shazam!" to "Chocolate egg cream", a phrase he was considered unlikely ever to utter.
Lou Reed, a New Yorker, wrote a song "Egg Cream" for the album Set the Twilight Reeling.
"When I was a young man, no bigger than this A chocolate egg cream was not to be missed Some U-Bet's Chocolate Syrup, seltzer water mixed with milk Stir it up into a heady fro', tasted just like silk You scream, I scream, We all want Egg Cream"

If you are interested you can do a "google" search for "egg cream", and come up with several "articles" about egg creams and their probable origins.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 07-15-2008 at 03:53 PM..
Old 07-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirax2 View Post
I have read on this board that the chances of getting sick - not dying, just getting sick - from eating a raw egg are about one in thirty thousand. If this is true, I take a much greater risk getting in my car to go to work every day than I do by drinking my morning shake. Should I stop driving?

Tips:
1. Buy organic, cage free eggs if at all possible. Even better is if you can find a local person that raises chickens and sells the eggs. I live in Southern California, and was recently lucky enough to find just such a person down the street from me. I know his eggs are very fresh and feel very secure eating raw eggs I purchase from him. But even if you have to buy the ones you find at the grocery store, you should be fine if you go with organic ones. I can't afford to buy everything organic, but eggs are one thing I'm willing to pay a little extra for - it's worth it for the peace of mind IMO. Besides, I can really taste the difference (when I cook them - raw they don't have much of a taste).
2. Buy the freshest eggs you can, but don't stress too hard if you've had them in the fridge for a week. I buy 2 dozen at a time from my egg guy, and it takes me anywhere from 1-3 weeks to use them up, depending on what I'm making.
3. Properly refrigerate your eggs after buying them. Don't leave them in a hot car for a long time, or out on the counter.
4. Never eat raw an egg with a crack in the shell, even a hairline crack.
5. The salmonella will be on the *outside* of the egg, if it is there. Wash your eggs before use with warm water and a little anti-bacterial soap, and you will be fine. Even if you only do these last two things, your chances of getting sick will be virtually zero.

Finally, don't overthink it! Don't hyptonize yourself into feeling sick. Lots and lots and lots of people eat raw eggs every day. I'm fairly new to the egg cream shake myself, but I love it. I'm sure you will too.

-kirax2
I'll just add to this one (my pet rule for eggs and other animal products):
6. Get a veggie fed (as in no ground up animal "byproducts" used for protein) egg with no hormones or antibiotics in the feed...who knows where the next "mad critter" disease will come from.

If I can't afford organic (which is ALL of the above, pretty much), I ensure to get cage free and veggie fed.

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
[COLOR="Purple"]Excellent information and help. Kirax2, you offered wonderful insight. Thank you! This coffee version is the one I'm anxious to try. Will try tonight and let ya'll know the results.

Egg Cream Frappuccino

3 organic free-range/cage-free eggs (fresh!)
8 oz coffee (brewed strong & chilled overnight - or you can make & use coffee ice cubes!)
1 scoop Jay Robb's whey protein powder (chocolate or vanilla or strawberry)
splash of Torani or DaVinci SF syrup (french vanilla or chocolate or any flavor you like!)
2 Tbsp organic heavy cream
2 Tbsp organic extra virgin coconut oil (melted) blend/froth eggs first; add cream and blend/froth again
(makes it fluffy!)
add the rest of the ingredients in the order above; add melted CO last[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sligh View Post
The recipe for Egg Cream Frappuccino in the previous post is the one I use too, although I only use 2 eggs and don't use the coconut oil.

I also meant to thank kirax2 for the excellent advice. Once I understood that I could avoid salmonella by washing the egg first, I felt more comfortable. I get the cage-free organic eggs and wash them and no longer worry about eating raw eggs.
Thanks !!!!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:31 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Heather View Post
I guess I'm the one in 30,000.

I'm never playing those odds again and my eggs weren't even raw.
My poor son-in-law has gotten sick twice since the salmonella outbreak from eating fresh stir-fried vegetables from the grocery store. I eat salad all the time and “Knock on Wood” I haven’t gotten sick yet.

They get their eggs from me so they don’t worry that but my daughter has said this is the last straw!!! She’s planting a fall garden and they are going to eat out of their garden and put up their own stuff. In the mean time they buy only frozen vegetables. So far he hasn’t gotten sick on the frozen stuff.

Last edited by The Chicken Lady; 07-15-2008 at 04:32 PM..
Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kirax2
Quote:
[COLOR="Purple"]I did it!! I just drank the Egg Cream Frap and LOVED it. No weird texture or taste, just YUMMY.

Thanks for all your help. I've found a new breakfast option.[/COLOR]
Congratulations! I was never very big on "breakfast shakes" before, but having tried it, I'm a new convert! I love how full I stay throughout the day after drinking my shake in the morning. I'm so glad I was able to help you overcome your fear!

Kisal, I think the reason that the government started regulating the use of raw eggs is because they can't guarantee that restaurants will follow the precautions I mentioned. Improperly stored eggs (i.e. not refrigerated) or cracked eggs are more likely to put you at risk, and I doubt that restaurants wash their eggs before use - so while I think it's too bad that restaurants can't use raw eggs in Caesar salad dressing, at the same time, I'm kind of glad of it. Even if I could, I doubt I would ever buy an egg cream at a restaurant...there's just no guarantee that the eggs would have been properly stored/washed/handled.

Houston Heather, I understand your concern. My husband got really sick after eating some bad eggs in a restaurant several years ago. He didn't get salmonella, thankfully, just some nasty food poisoning that made him utterly miserable for about 24 hours. In no way do I want to belittle your experience, but I want to mention in this thread (for those that might not know this) that you got salmonella after "eating out", not after eating a raw egg at home. (I searched through your old posts to figure this out, so please correct me if I'm wrong about this.) You were in a situation where you were not in control of the preparation of the food; someone else was. I feel very secure eating egg creams because I know that the eggs have been properly refrigerated, that they have no cracks, and that they have been thoroughly washed before being cracked open. I know these things because I make them myself, with my own hands. And even my husband drinks them...and loves them. ^_~

-Janice
aka kirax2
kirax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: billgirl
Stats: 193/151/125
WOE: SSing
Start Date: July 28, 2008
I didn't know that!!!

I have always been careful about not using cracked eggs, but never knew that the Salmonella was on the outside...I guess it makes sense, it's not from the chicken. I will wash my eggs from now on! Thanks
I was just here checking out the info on egg creams that everyone is raving about...
Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirax2 View Post
Congratulations! I was never very big on "breakfast shakes" before, but having tried it, I'm a new convert! I love how full I stay throughout the day after drinking my shake in the morning. I'm so glad I was able to help you overcome your fear!

Kisal, I think the reason that the government started regulating the use of raw eggs is because they can't guarantee that restaurants will follow the precautions I mentioned. Improperly stored eggs (i.e. not refrigerated) or cracked eggs are more likely to put you at risk, and I doubt that restaurants wash their eggs before use - so while I think it's too bad that restaurants can't use raw eggs in Caesar salad dressing, at the same time, I'm kind of glad of it. Even if I could, I doubt I would ever buy an egg cream at a restaurant...there's just no guarantee that the eggs would have been properly stored/washed/handled.

Houston Heather, I understand your concern. My husband got really sick after eating some bad eggs in a restaurant several years ago. He didn't get salmonella, thankfully, just some nasty food poisoning that made him utterly miserable for about 24 hours. In no way do I want to belittle your experience, but I want to mention in this thread (for those that might not know this) that you got salmonella after "eating out", not after eating a raw egg at home. (I searched through your old posts to figure this out, so please correct me if I'm wrong about this.) You were in a situation where you were not in control of the preparation of the food; someone else was. I feel very secure eating egg creams because I know that the eggs have been properly refrigerated, that they have no cracks, and that they have been thoroughly washed before being cracked open. I know these things because I make them myself, with my own hands. And even my husband drinks them...and loves them. ^_~

-Janice
aka kirax2
billgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: woogers_1
Start Date: April 2003, April2008
What are you all washing your eggs with that will kill salmonilla or any other bacteria?
woogers_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgirl View Post
I have always been careful about not using cracked eggs, but never knew that the Salmonella was on the outside...I guess it makes sense, it's not from the chicken. I will wash my eggs from now on! Thanks
I was just here checking out the info on egg creams that everyone is raving about...
Thanks again
Actually, if you investigate this, the salmonella is from the chicken, and as a result, can be inside the egg as well as on the outside.

"How eggs become contaminated

Unlike eggborne salmonellosis of past decades, the current epidemic is due to intact and disinfected grade A eggs. Salmonella enteritidis silently infects the ovaries of healthy appearing hens and contaminates the eggs before the shells are formed.

Most types of Salmonella live in the intestinal tracts of animals and birds and are transmitted to humans by contaminated foods of animal origin. Stringent procedures for cleaning and inspecting eggs were implemented in the 1970s and have made salmonellosis caused by external fecal contamination of egg shells extremely rare. However, unlike eggborne salmonellosis of past decades, the current epidemic is due to intact and disinfected grade A eggs. The reason for this is that Salmonella enteritidis silently infects the ovaries of healthy appearing hens and contaminates the eggs before the shells are formed.

Although most infected hens have been found in the northeastern United States, the infection also occurs in hens in other areas of the country. In the Northeast, approximately one in 10,000 eggs may be internally contaminated. In other parts of the United States, contaminated eggs appear less common. Only a small number of hens seem to be infected at any given time, and an infected hen can lay many normal eggs while only occasionally laying an egg contaminated with the Salmonella bacterium."

(From Disease Listing, Salmonella enteritidis, Generall Information | CDC Bacterial, Mycotic Diseases)
Old 09-15-2008, 05:41 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tuscanytrace
Stats: 208.8/172.6/113 5'1.5"
WOE: Atkins 1972,VCO, WAPF/whole foods,
Start Date: Oct 15, 06/restart 5/07/ restart 3/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
I looked up "egg cream" awhile back, and a "true" egg cream, as you said contains/contained NO eggs, nor usually cream.
Yep, that's true of the classic NY variety. What we're talking about here is what has evolved as a shorthand way of saying "like a Starbuck's Frappucino, only it's a filling meal" but LASFOIAFM is way too confusing and not very appetizing. I don't even know at this point who the original poster was, but that person was the one who dubbed her concoction as an "egg cream", probably because it contained eggs and cream.

At this point I've tried many recipes with lots of different mixes of ingredients, but the two things that stay stable are eggs and cream.

Last edited by Tuscanytrace; 09-15-2008 at 05:42 AM..
Tuscanytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

OK....... I'll concede to the "new" egg cream.

When I was a kid, we used to drink what we (my family) just called milk shake. It was just milk, eggs, sugar, & vanilla. We didn't do much with pure cream back then other than whipped cream & butter. (And of course back then we used sugar. )

So I guess if we could call that milk shake, then we can now call the egg/cream concoctions egg cream.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
OK....... I'll concede to the "new" egg cream.

When I was a kid, we used to drink what we (my family) just called milk shake. It was just milk, eggs, sugar, & vanilla. We didn't do much with pure cream back then other than whipped cream & butter. (And of course back then we used sugar. )

So I guess if we could call that milk shake, then we can now call the egg/cream concoctions egg cream.
That's the same "recipe" my family used for milk shakes when I was a kid!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:48 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: berries&cream
Start Date: October 13, 2011
If you do get sick from the Salmonella, which is unlikely, you'll be fine unless you are very immunocomprimised. So if you are already sick, this might be something to NOT add to your diet. I think the odds of getting sick from it are about the same as eating a rare steak.

That said, NEVER give raw eggs, or rare steak, to a child under the age of 7. Their organs are not fully developed yet and they can't fight off the infection. What to us would be a tummy ache is fatal to them.

So for adults raw eggs are fine, but not to children under 7 or anyone who is immunocomprimised.
berries&cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:21 AM   #27
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
I'd also add that you don't want to risk the health of anyone elderly (I'm probably talking over 75 here, depending upon their general health) due to immune compromise issues.

I'll probably not be doing any raw egg creams once my father starts living with me because he's had some illness this past year and I just don't see the risk as viable. If he got ANYTHING he'd probably have to be in the hospital, which would then expose him to more potential problems.

So, as good as it might be for him (and I agree with that), it just isn't worth it.

By the way, I did get real food posioning earlier this year... from bad cod liver oil. I knew as soon as I had a swallow it had gone bad, but just that much lead to much misery, including all the double vision and everything. At the time, I hadn't had an egg cream in two months (lots of travel), so the CLO did me in I certainly don't think my father should or could go through something like that.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." (Mae West)
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)
Su11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCfan03
WOE: Atkins or just low carb in general
Start Date: June 2003
I don't know about anyone else, but in my grocery they sell whole eggs (in the shell) that have been pastuerized for safety. They are more expensive than other eggs but that is what I use in these drinks and also in any baking I do with my daughter in case she wants to taste the batter.

The carton is clear (instead of foam) plastic. The brand is Davidsons. Their website is Safeeggs The container says "Pasteurized to Eliminate Salmonella" right on top.

Look for it if you are really concerned.

Regarding the controversy.... one of our best friends had their 12 year old daughter hospitalized for 2 weeks for salmonella just from eating raw cookie dough. So, it CAN affect children over 7 and she was a perfectly healthy child in every other way.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:43 AM   #29
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaS View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but in my grocery they sell whole eggs (in the shell) that have been pastuerized for safety. They are more expensive than other eggs but that is what I use in these drinks and also in any baking I do with my daughter in case she wants to taste the batter.

The carton is clear (instead of foam) plastic. The brand is Davidsons. Their website is Safeeggs The container says "Pasteurized to Eliminate Salmonella" right on top.

Look for it if you are really concerned.
I have access to that, but it treats just the shell, so I'd still be concerned for anyone with true immunecompromised function.

It isn't by any means a huge risk and there are a lot of other things out there that have much higher risks, but I can see why for some any risk is too great.
Su11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gumdrops
Stats: 178/162/130 less than 20% BF
WOE: low, low carb Diabetic
Start Date: Feb 29 2003 restart 08-01-08
Quote:
Lot of thread on this forum on this.

And Yes, I do drink raw eggs in drinks, and eat them in ice cream. Have all my life. As did my folks, and theirs, and my in-laws.

And no, I don't buy organic eggs. I just buy eggs.

The study I read (wish I had saved it, but didn't) said one in 80,000 eggs.

As kirax2 said, don't phych yourself into getting sick.

Yeah, what she said!!!
gumdrops is offline   Reply With Quote