Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Chocolate Chip Cookies made w/ Almond Flour? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/565082-chocolate-chip-cookies-made-w-almond-flour.html)

ljh150 07-09-2008 08:18 PM

Chocolate Chip Cookies made w/ Almond Flour?

I thought I saw a recipe for CCC made w/ almond flour on here a while back, now I can't seem to find it. Anyone remember it?

retroworx 07-09-2008 08:39 PM

Could this be the one??

Dana Carpender's Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
A classic chocolate chip cookie, just like Mom used to make - only a lot better for you!

* 1 cup almond meal
* 1 cup vanilla whey protein powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup butter -- softened (2 sticks)
* 1/2 cup Splenda granular
* 3/4 cup Steel's Gourmet Sugar Substitute (Maltitol)*
* 2 eggs
* 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 cups Sugar Free Chocolate Chips
* 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

*NOTE FROM DANA:
This recipe calls for maltitol. You can substitute 3/4 cup extra Splenda plus a teaspoon of molasses if you want a polyol-free cookie - the cookies will be a little crumblier, but will taste fine.

Measure the almond meal, vanilla whey protein, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and stir together. Set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat the butter till creamy and fluffy. Add the Splenda and maltitol, and beat till very well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat well.

Now add the dry ingredients, in three additions, beating each addition till well incorporated before adding the next.

Beat in the chocolate chips and pecans, and mix just until well-distributed.

Turn off mixer, and scrape the dough off the beaters back into the bowl.

Preheat oven to 375.

Scoop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets you've sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, or covered with pan liners or baking parchment.

Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Yeild: 44 cookies, each with: 125 Calories, 9g Fat, 6g Protein, 6g Total Carbohydrates*, 3g Dietary Fiber*. *Net Carbs per cookie 3 grams.

ljh150 07-09-2008 08:56 PM

Thanks! Darn, I still need vanilla protein powder. That looks like a yummy recipe, though.

ljh150 08-09-2008 02:24 PM

OK, I finally got around to making these, and while they have a nice taste, they are spongy like muffins! The only thing I changed was I subbed the splenda and maltitol for xylitol, brown diabetisweet(isomalt), and vanilla creme stevia. Very weird!

Barbo 08-09-2008 02:39 PM

Here's one I liked. Didn't like Dana's

Personally I would try to use the ingredients listed before I make changes
in a recipe for the first time around. Now you've got me hungry for choco
chippers :kicking:

Low Carb Choco Chip Cookies

Dry Ingredients:
1 c. Carbquick, kinda rounded a bit.
1/2 c. almond flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder (next batch I will include this)
1/2 c. polydextrose
1/4 c. level brown Diabetisweet
2 tbs. erythritol
1 Splenda Quick Pack:
1/4 c. vanilla Designer Protein Powder (Trader Joe's)
Place the dry ingredients in a large baking dish and mix with whisk until
well blended.

Wet Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 c. sugar-free chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped pecans.

Preheat oven to 350-360

Cream butter and vanilla until very creamy, then add dry ingredients,
stir and then add chips and nuts. Get everything well incorporated.

Place bowl in freezer and get the cookie dough nice and cold.

Drop by small scoops onto parchment paper leaving some room in between
each cookie. This made two large cookie sheets but I bake them separately.

Bake about 8-10 minutes watching that they don't get too brown.
Transfer to cooling rack.

Sorry I have no nutritionals for these delicious cookies.

Barbo 08-09-2008 02:42 PM

Here's one that Charski gave to me

Low Carb Char’s Choc Chippers
Boy, I really had to scratch through to find this - I don't make them often although my notes (from July 05! LOL!) say that I liked them! HAR HAR! Well, I just don't MISS CC cookies that much. But here ya go:

Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Makes 50 cookies)

3C Carbquik
1tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1 C polydextrose
1 C (2 sticks, ½ pound) butter, softened
½ C erythritol (I used brown Diabetisweet)
½ C Vanilla Designer Whey Powder
1TB vegetable glycerine
1TB molasses (I omitted)
½ tsp. liquid Splenda
1tsp. vanilla extract
2 C (12-ounce package) MiniCarb Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels (I used 8 ounces plus a cup of walnut pieces)

-Combine Carbquik and baking soda in small bowl, set aside.
-Beat eggs and polydextrose until smooth with no large lumps. Next add butter, beating well. Add sweeteners, molasses, and vanilla until creamed. (I cream the PolyD with the butter, THEN add the rest. I've not had good luck combining it with eggs first!)
-Gradually beat in Carbquik mixture. Stir in morsels.
-Drop by heaping tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets covered with parchment/baking paper.
-Bake in preheated 375° oven for 10 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 3-5 minutes; remove to wire racks or newspaper to cool completely.

Nutrition info for entire recipe:
Calories: 4231
Fat: 339
Carbs: 463 Fiber: 378 (net carbs: 85)
Protein: 137

Per cookie:
Cal: 86
Fat: 7
Net Carb: 1.4
Prot: 2.5

Now, ya COULD just add those chips TO the PB cookie recipe - THAT I would go for!
Char

ljh150 08-09-2008 08:48 PM

Thanks, but unfortunatly I can't do Carbquick, (sensitivity). I wish I could! I like my chocolate chip 'muffins' though, they're not too bad!

jacksmixedtape 08-09-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljh150 (Post 10703448)
Thanks, but unfortunatly I can't do Carbquick, (sensitivity). I wish I could! I like my chocolate chip 'muffins' though, they're not too bad!

Dana Carpender's chocolate chip cookies are much better straight from the freezer. :)

I'm working on a recipe using a bit of oat flour. Using 100% almond flour doesn't yield very convincing chocolate chip cookies, unfortunately. The texture is always off. :annoyed:

Soobee 08-10-2008 05:41 AM

Maybe a mix of coconut flour and almond flour would work.

mrs_munro 08-10-2008 11:31 PM

Could the chocolate chip cookie bars posted by CarolynF be the ones you were thinking of?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...okie-bars.html

ljh150 08-11-2008 10:08 AM

No, but those look great and I have all the ingrediants except the nuts, (if I sub almond flour). I almost always use xylitol/stevia for a sweetener, I'll see how these turn out!

oliveoyl 08-11-2008 12:41 PM

These are not traditional Toll-house style cookies, but they're quick and easy to make and taste great. I like to add a drop of orange extract to them. The recipe can be easily doubled -- it makes 24 small cookies as written.
1 1/4 cups almond meal
equivalent of 1 cup sweetener
2 tablespoons erithrytol (you can just use more splenda instead)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/4 cup chocolate chips (or more if you like)
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix everything together well and drop by the teaspoonsful onto an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 24 cookies. Using carb-free or liquid splenda, they have 1.5 carbs and 53 calories each (depending on chocolate chips used). With bulk splenda, they have 2.5 carbs each.

pommie2 08-12-2008 12:15 PM

I just used the recipe on the back of the bag of Nestle's chocolate chips and substituted almond flour for the flour, splenda for the sugar and used sugar free chocolate chips. They came out great.

royjohnson 11-11-2011 11:19 AM

Way to go Pommie.
Always best to make simple substitutions rather than re-engineer the whole thing with the dubious manufactured low carb substitutes.

misslatte 11-11-2011 02:37 PM

Buttoni has a version that I want to try - not sure if I can link the blog for you. Google buttoni's low carb recipes and you'll find the blog that has the recipe.

buttoni 11-11-2011 04:31 PM

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Here's that recipe of mine. They're not bad. Haven't made a batch in quite awhile however:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...onbutt/212.jpg
I took a chocolate chip recipe I found on the net at on a blog called lowcarbist and modified it to come up with the cookie pictured above. These are cakey in texture, but they sure are tasty! My picky husband ate several and said “Not bad”. These are not Induction friendly due to the almond flour and nuts. Sometimes I leave out the chopped nuts to lower calorie/carb count even more.

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. almond flour
¼ c. + 2T. unsweetened, plain whey protein isolate
1 tsp. baking soda
½ c. chopped nuts
½ c. sugar-free chocolate chips
¼ c. granular Splenda
4 T. erythritol sweetener
3 T. melted, unsalted butter
1 egg, beaten
¼ c. vanilla sugar-free syrup
1 T. water

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350º. Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl. Add all wet ingredients. Blend well and let batter set for a couple minutes to firm up. Spoon onto greased or non-stick baking sheet in 1″ globs. They don’t spread out much when cooking, so I slightly flattened with my fingers, but not too much. Bake for about 12 minutes at 350º. Cool on cloth or racks. I got exactly 26 cookies.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 26 cookies, each cookie contains:
55.85 calories
4.79 g fat
2.04 g carbs
.84 g fiber
1.2 g NET CARBS
1.8 g protein
54 mg. sodium

misslatte 11-11-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 15168496)
Here's that recipe of mine. They're not bad.

I was hoping you would make an appearance!;)

I need to find a version that is as close as humanly possible to the toll house recipe. How does this measure up? Trying to convince my dad that these foods are yummy!

buttoni 11-11-2011 08:38 PM

Well, I used Sensato S/F choco chips and I'm not so fond of them. I think these would have been better with Hershey's S/F chips. But that aside, I think these are a bit cakier than Toll House. Many years ago, I baked so many Toll House when I was in high school, my Mom made me use shortening with butter extract to not use so much margarine/butter. That cauases Toll House to come out cakier. So my LC recipe is actually pretty close to what I cooked, but these are not as crisp (if that's what you're wanting) as the Toll House recipe "as written".

CreekWatcher 11-17-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslatte (Post 15168769)
I was hoping you would make an appearance!;)

I need to find a version that is as close as humanly possible to the toll house recipe. How does this measure up? Trying to convince my dad that these foods are yummy!

I don't have the kind of recipe you're looking for (I hope someone else chimes in who does), but I can tell you one thing: the use of polydextrose for most of the textural sugar sub will result in a chewier cookie, which is one of the characteristics of the toll house type.

One thing I wonder (going back to the first of this thread), if the resulting texture at best wasn't great, why the heck did Dana Carpender choose maltitol, nutritionally the worst of the sugar alcohols?

CreekWatcher 11-17-2011 09:37 PM

Wait a minute--it's been many years since I've had toll house cookies...maybe I'm not remembering them right. I was thinking that they are both flat and chewy, but is this correct?

(I may be thinking instead of the old Pillsbury fridge choc chip cookie dough rolls, and the type of cookie they produced.)

RVcook 11-17-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreekWatcher (Post 15185438)
Wait a minute--it's been many years since I've had toll house cookies...maybe I'm not remembering them right. I was thinking that they are both flat and chewy, but is this correct?

(I may be thinking instead of the old Pillsbury fridge choc chip cookie dough rolls, and the type of cookie they produced.)

My daughter says I have THE best recipe for choc chip cookies (yes, the REAL ones with regular flour and sugar) and they are INDEED flat, crispy on the edges and crewy/gooey in the center. You are correct. :-)

CreekWatcher 11-17-2011 11:57 PM

Thanks, Donna. Now, intelligent and industrious lc experimenters (that leaves me out) might want to look at Alton Brown's Good Eats episode where he does choc chip cookies 3 different ways: thin, chewy, and puffy--and goes over the baking principles that make each cookie different. You can look at it on youtube here, assuming you can endure sister Marsha's hilarious antics (the cookie monster's brother, on the other hand, expresses himself with admirable concision):

(This is part one; after it plays, a grid of different photos will appear on the tv screen, one of which is part two--it will have "the chewy" printed on it. At the end of part two there's a summing up.)

For the even geekier, here's a link to a pdf someone made out to chart the three different recipes together:

http://assets.simplifried.com/wp-con...ie-science.pdf

drjlocarb 11-18-2011 08:13 AM

Great information, Creek. Thanks.

RVcook 11-18-2011 08:43 AM

I adore all that geeky stuff! After all...while "cooking" may be an art, "baking" is really a science.

I have to admit that for the most part, creating identical (or somewhat identical) LC choc chip cookies must be truly difficult or else someone would have 'perfected' the recipe by now. I have been cooking and baking for my family since the 70's and when I began LCing in 2003, I tried to create a reasonable clone of most of the higher carbed baked goods I enjoyed prior. I had success with quick breads, yeast breads, main dishes, appetizers and most desserts, but that darned choc chip cookie recipe was the biggest stumbling block.

As you confirmed, my recipe has every asset I enjoy in a cookie - thin, crispy and chewy. But, I quickly discovered that I just couldn't substitute one ingredient for another because of the scientific synergy between the "players" in the recipe. In my experiments, I have subbed various flours (and combinations therein), subbed sweeteners (and combinations therein) AND, I also added polyD which 'helped' the texture, but I paid a steep price by spending most of the day...let's just say, indisposed... ;)

To date, I have just not been happy enough with my LC results to post anything worth looking at. I may have to try again though...you have reminded me how much I am "missing" those cookies...ughh!

CreekWatcher 11-18-2011 08:50 AM

Sorry about that, Donna; I know what you're talking about (except that I don't have a problem with poly d).

CarolynF 11-18-2011 09:54 AM

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ip-cookie.html

CarolynF 11-18-2011 09:57 AM

These are my very favorites..

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...on-marias.html

sacmom3 02-03-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pommie2 (Post 10714988)
I just used the recipe on the back of the bag of Nestle's chocolate chips and substituted almond flour for the flour, splenda for the sugar and used sugar free chocolate chips. They came out great.

Lol. That's what I was thinking of doing. Glad to know yours came out good.