Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Great Product Find: Non-Dairy Cream!

Hi Folks:

I found a great product in a local health food store. I searched the forums to see if there had been much conversation about it but didn't see much so I thought I would share:

Unsweetened MimicCreme

This is a fluid (non-powder) cream that is made primarily from nuts -- much thicker than Almond Milk and can be used measure-for-measure in place of real cream. (Don't think it would whip up, though.) Has a rich flavor with a touch of nutty undertone -- not overpowering but not exactly like cream, either. Perfect for the lactose intolerant, less than .5 carb per TBSP, but even better, from my point of view, are the calories: 10 cals per TBSP, compared to 50 cals for the real stuff! Great for cream soups, faux mashed potatoes, etc. and home made ICE CREAM!!

Comes in those non-fridge packs. I don't think this has wide distribution yet, so I don't think you are likely to bump across it at Whole Foods or the like any time soon.

Let me know if you try it,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
Hey retro--How does this taste?(sorry-I reread your post and see you like it) How much of it have you used? I'm interested in trying it-especially for LC ice cream--would have to order it online
thanks,
jeri

Last edited by jerikay; 07-07-2008 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: livesimply
Stats: 162/158.4/130
WOE: Gluten Free Atkins
Start Date: restarted 3/5/11
hey retroworx, thanks for this post! I am contacting them tomorrow and will ask:
can it be whipped?
how long does in keep in fridge when opened?

will post their response!
livesimply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Hey, this IS cool. And if those nutritional numbers are dead-on on the webpage, it's 1g per 3.5 fl oz (7 Tbsp) and 10 cals, for the Unsweetened. That makes it highly do-able, for me. But I have to point out that the total cals and the fat cals are the same number, and that's a little wonky. So confirmation on the Nutrition Facts would be a fine thing...just to be safe. I've sent an email, I'll let you know if and when I get a response.

Note, folks, that the Sweetened Sugarfree, though it does have Erythritol, also has Maltodextrin, which may account for the 9g carb per 3.5 fl oz (7 Tbsp) or 1.3g per Tbsp and about >20g per Cup...out of my league so I'll gladly add my own sweetener, assuming I can ever get any up here in the wilds...sigh.

Reading the Ingredients List is interesting, noting that cashews are right up front and center...I have a cookbook for Vegan Ice Cream around here somewhere, and it uses Cashews pretty much exclusively! Apparently they process up all nice and creamy textured. I'd have tried some of those recipes before now except that it also uses dates heavily for sweetening and bulking, and it was all a bit too much

Thanks for this info about a way cool product I can't get, Retro!

Actually, I'm wondering if it will whip up...just maybe, though you'd think if so, they would have said. Love to take a crack at it, though!

My vote for Netrition, too (sometimes I manage to get a shipment). I wonder if Tom wants to know about this? I bet that new company would get a huge boost if the LC Community and Netrition got behind it...

Last edited by theislandgirl; 07-07-2008 at 11:32 PM..
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:32 AM   #5

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I noticed that it is about $1 more than almond milk per quart. I imagine that is their free shipping factored into their price.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Well, if it IS the texture and thickness of cream, any cream, I'm definitely thinking it might be worth more ... especially since I'm not particularly fond of the Almond Milk (once I finally got to try some). Odd, but it reminded me of soy milk (ugh!).

Silk soy "cream" isn't bad, but still, I can taste it...

I'd love to compare it to the (non-existent to my knowledge) Almond Cream...

Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerikay View Post
Hey retro--How does this taste?(sorry-I reread your post and see you like it) How much of it have you used? I'm interested in trying it-especially for LC ice cream--would have to order it online
thanks,
jeri
Hi Jeri:

Still experimenting with it but am now going to use it in place of lite coconut milk in my ice cream recipes from now on -- I believe it yields a bit more creamy texture.

Straight up it's not completely neutral -- it has a buttery, nutty essence, which I like. When used in recipes, however, the flavor does not overwhelm in any way, imo. I think it would be perfect in things like creamed soups, cream sauces. Ooh, added to faux oatmeal would be divine too.

The stuff is very thick once fridged -- thicker than any regular cream I am familiar with, so it holds up well and packs a pretty creamy punch for just a small amount.

HTH,
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
But I have to point out that the total cals and the fat cals are the same number, and that's a little wonky. So confirmation on the Nutrition Facts would be a fine thing...just to be safe. I've sent an email, I'll let you know if and when I get a response.
Ooh, you bad thing! You would come in and burst my bubble. Let me know what you find out. . . .

Quote:
Serves ya' right for going all science and logic on me

Quote:
My vote for Netrition, too (sometimes I manage to get a shipment). I wonder if Tom wants to know about this? I bet that new company would get a huge boost if the LC Community and Netrition got behind it...
How do we let him know about this?

See ya' round the water (I mean ice cream) cooler,
Old 07-08-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I noticed that it is about $1 more than almond milk per quart. I imagine that is their free shipping factored into their price.
I think they figure their market, which I suspect is primarily the dairy/soy-free folks, will pay a premium for a cream solution.

I know I'll pay for the lower calorie solution. (Until gas prices, rising food prices, etc slap me in the face even more than they already have )
Old 07-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: livesimply
Stats: 162/158.4/130
WOE: Gluten Free Atkins
Start Date: restarted 3/5/11
well, I spoke to customer service yesterday AND got this email:
Deborah,
Thank you for your inquiry. MimicCreme cannot be whipped yet. We are set to introduce MimicCreme Whipping Creme in September or early fall. Once opened, MimicCreme should be used within seven (7) to ten (10) days.
Thank you for your support.
Nick Colavito
Customer Care

He also told me to keep checking back as they are revamping their website and will continually be adding more recipes. The one for chocolate ice cream looks wonderful. I told him we'll start a drive for Netrition to carry it!! He was very enthusiastic and helpful.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesimply View Post
well, I spoke to customer service yesterday AND got this email:
Deborah,
Thank you for your inquiry. MimicCreme cannot be whipped yet. We are set to introduce MimicCreme Whipping Creme in September or early fall. Once opened, MimicCreme should be used within seven (7) to ten (10) days.
Thank you for your support.
Nick Colavito
Customer Care

He also told me to keep checking back as they are revamping their website and will continually be adding more recipes. The one for chocolate ice cream looks wonderful. I told him we'll start a drive for Netrition to carry it!! He was very enthusiastic and helpful.
Thanks for the report, Debbie!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miss eleni
I've used the unsweetened Mimicreme to make ice cream before. It was really good! This was pre-LC, so I don't know how well it would work with artificial sweetener or stevia.

I buy unsweetened almond milk to use in coffee. Only 1 carb for 1/4 cup, and I prefer the taste over dairy half & half.
miss eleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Quote:
But I have to point out that the total cals and the fat cals are the same number, and that's a little wonky. So confirmation on the Nutrition Facts would be a fine thing...just to be safe. I've sent an email, I'll let you know if and when I get a response
Ooh, you bad thing! You would come in and burst my bubble. Let me know what you find out. . . .
Quote:
Serves ya' right for going all science and logic on me
Quote:
How do we let him know about this?

See ya' round the water (I mean ice cream) cooler,
Well, I got an answer on the nutrition stuff (and I see someone else has beat me to the question about the whipping/version, great!)...all I need now is to be able to actually GET some...maybe I have to start yet another business or webpage up here in the distant north, border/security/labelling issues notwithstanding! Aarrrggh...

As for Tom, either a PM or there's possibly a web administrator contact around here somewhere, almost all web pages have them; or we could just wait until he actually gets to read a thread, busy as he is... you KNOW how much we love you, Tom, don't you?!

ANYWAYS, here's the email, pretty much, clarifying the nutrition numbers though there's still more rounding than I like and I guess there's no getting away from THAT though I'd prefer the LAB numbers for the larger serving size to actually match the serving sizes for the others (and it's GOOD news, Retro my dear!):

Quote:
Hi Jude,
Actually, for the website, for comparison purposes we had to use a “multiplier” to bring the Unsweetened serving size in-line with the Sweetened and the Sugar-free Sweetened. In reality, the nutritional information for our Unsweetened is as follows:

For a serving size of 1 Tbsp the number of calories is 10 and the number of fat calorie is still 10 but the breakdown of fat is a little more defined.

Total fat (1g)
Saturated (0g)
Polyunsaturated (0g)
Monounsaturated(0.5g)
Trans Fat (0g)
Sodium 5mg
Potassium 15mg
Total Carbs (less than 1g)
Phosphorus 2%
Copper 2%
Magnesium 2%
Manganese 2%
All other values are 0

The information was provided to us by a reputable lab.
Anyone pass this website and thread link on to the enthusiastic Mr. Colavito? That kind of involvement and information was pretty helpful back in the early Carbquik days, IIRC.

Guess I'll do that.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, I got an answer on the nutrition stuff (and I see someone else has beat me to the question about the whipping/version, great!)...all I need now is to be able to actually GET some...maybe I have to start yet another business or webpage up here in the distant north, border/security/labelling issues notwithstanding! Aarrrggh...

As for Tom, either a PM or there's possibly a web administrator contact around here somewhere, almost all web pages have them; or we could just wait until he actually gets to read a thread, busy as he is... you KNOW how much we love you, Tom, don't you?!

ANYWAYS, here's the email, pretty much, clarifying the nutrition numbers though there's still more rounding than I like and I guess there's no getting away from THAT though I'd prefer the LAB numbers for the larger serving size to actually match the serving sizes for the others (and it's GOOD news, Retro my dear!):

Anyone pass this website and thread link on to the enthusiastic Mr. Colavito? That kind of involvement and information was pretty helpful back in the early Carbquik days, IIRC.

Guess I'll do that.

Ooh, GOOD news on a nutrition label -- I can live with that!

Even better to hear that the company is actually responsive to customer (or potential customer, in your case, you poor distant Canadian ) queries -- so many online companies just completely ignore customer service.

Thanks for letting Tom know about the product -- it's shelf-stable for quite a while and does come in those easy to ship tetra packs like the Almond Breeze which he sells, so hopefully he'll take this on board.

In the meantime, if you're really desperate to get experimenting, I'd be happy to send you a pack myself. (Self-interest here, not just altruism -- I'd love to see what you "whip" up. ) PM me with your address and I'll be happy to forward some your way.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Has anyone tried this in coffee? How does it compare to half and half or real cream? I adore rich, creamy coffee and almond milk just doesn't cut it for me but, this sound promising.
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:16 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildflowerMama View Post
Has anyone tried this in coffee? How does it compare to half and half or real cream? I adore rich, creamy coffee and almond milk just doesn't cut it for me but, this sound promising.
Well, I don't do coffee, but I'm having some Chai tea with Mimic Creme right now. 24 oz mug with 2 tbsp of the creme and I'm pretty satisfied. I usually use Almond Milk, but the MC is MUCH less watery. I am able to use less of the MC and it's more filling, I've noticed.

The MC is significantly thicker than both Almond Milk and cream, btw.

HTH!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I sent an email to Hy-Vee to inquire about stocking MC (there is a Hy-Vee store in Columbia, MO that does). I got an email answer back saying that someone from the local Hy-Vee would call me back and someone did! He asked me all about the product (although it was evident he had checked it out on the web himself) and said he would look into it and that he would get back to me.
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
I sent an email to Hy-Vee to inquire about stocking MC (there is a Hy-Vee store in Columbia, MO that does). I got an email answer back saying that someone from the local Hy-Vee would call me back and someone did! He asked me all about the product (although it was evident he had checked it out on the web himself) and said he would look into it and that he would get back to me.
Cool!

I wonder if Jude has had a chance to ask Tom here at Netrition about carrying this stuff. . . .
Old 07-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Cool!

I wonder if Jude has had a chance to ask Tom here at Netrition about carrying this stuff. . . .
I was wondering about that, too!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

I PM'd him the same day I posted about it, and sent him the link to this thread. So he knows and he's doing whatever it is he does.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So he knows and he's doing whatever it is he does.

Thanks, Jude. Hopefully with the new warehouse space they'll be able to squeeze some MC in.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #22
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
MimicCreme Cream Substitute is available at Netrition.com now in unsweetened and erythritol-sweetened versions. Thanks for the suggestion.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to try it. Thanks!!!!
SmileySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
MimicCreme Cream Substitute is available at Netrition.com now in unsweetened and erythritol-sweetened versions. Thanks for the suggestion.
Since I first mentioned MC on LCF I've used it successfully in:

Chai Tea
Mock Pototo Soup
Fauxtatos
Mushroom Soup
Mushroom Sauce
ICE CREAM!!
Berry Topping

Thanks so much for getting this for us, Tom!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Sigh. I wish I could benefit from the PM, but I'm happy you'all can....

Old 09-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Since I first mentioned MC on LCF I've used it successfully in:

Chai Tea
Mock Pototo Soup
Fauxtatos
Mushroom Soup
Mushroom Sauce
ICE CREAM!!
Berry Topping

Thanks so much for getting this for us, Tom!
Would you mind sharing your ice cream recipe? I just opened the MC that I bought today and after reading this thread, am realizing I need to use it up in 7-10 days. I sure didn't care for it in my coffee. I used some in an egg cream, though, and it was really good!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
I bet with a vitamix you could make this out of blanched slivered almonds, cashews, and xanthan gum. Looks like a lighter alternative to cream!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
Would you mind sharing your ice cream recipe? I just opened the MC that I bought today and after reading this thread, am realizing I need to use it up in 7-10 days. I sure didn't care for it in my coffee. I used some in an egg cream, though, and it was really good!
Shirlc:

You can use the Mimic Cream in any ice cream recipe that calls for milk or cream and just substitute measure for measure.

I know the carton says to use within that 7-10 day time frame but mine has certainly lasted longer.

Sorry you didn't care for it in your coffee -- I LOVE it in my chai tea.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Shirlc:

This link has Mimic Creme recipes, including several ice creams.

Recipes
Old 09-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
I took a stab at a non dairy cream sub with soaked roasted skinned almonds and lite coconut milk. Added a pinch of sea salt as well. It came out very thick and creamy--not pourable, more like heavy cream whipped to soft peaks. I could add more water but it's too yummy like this! It has a texture in between sour cream and ricotta cheese. Tastes nutty with a hint of natural sweetness. Not coconutty at all. It'd be great with vanilla added, or in a savory sauce. I used it to make "milk" chocolate cups as well. They look grainy because I got lazy and didn't powder the xylitol.

Sorry for the crappy photos. I don't have anything to take pretty pictures with at my school residence.

Sweetened with stevia, over frozen blueberries... wish I kept fresh fruit around!

Plain, nothing added

In milk chocolate cups. I got lazy and didn't powder the xylitol, hence the crystals you see.

Going to try it in coffee tomorrow, and see if it doesn't break up and float to the top in weird chunks like plain coconut milk does.

Sorry for the thread jack! It was just kind of a random experiment.

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote