Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Baking with Erythritol and Stevia...Help!

I know that some people bake with Erythritol and Stevia. I have never used Erythritol and would like to know how to start.

The Ratio of Erythritol and Stevia for starters. How do you figure that out?

Can you share your experiences with me?

Thank you.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,451
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Hi Tooter!

I think it takes some experimenting. What I've decided to do that works pretty well, is use the equivalent amount of erythritol in volume to sugar - IOW, if the recipe calls for a cup of sugar, I use a cup of erythritol. However, because it's only 70 to 80% as sweet as sugar, I add some Stevia to get the synergistic effect of combining sweeteners.

Unfortunately there's not a hard-and-fast rule IMHO because stevias differ greatly in taste and strength depending on brand.

I like the SweetLeaf Stevia Plus in packets - I will usually add 4 or so packets per cup of erythritol. Then I taste before baking (raw eggs don't skeer me none! ) and add more if needed.

Adding the stevia also seems to help negate the "cooling effect" that erythritol on its own can have, although often baking the product seems to help with that, due to dissolving the crystals. Some fudge I made one time though, didn't cook long enough for that to happen but it made the BEST "minty fresh fudge!" LOL!

I hope this helps you somewhat - it does take some figuring out!

That being said - I really like baking with erythritol - it mimics sugar's properties fairly well (hygroscopic, bulk) and I've had pretty decent results with it in the things I've used it for.
__________________
It's easy to be miserable. Being happy takes more work. ~~from Ondine, the movie~~

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Charski, Thank you, so much!!

I'll just have to JUMP IN and do some experimenting. Oh, I'm not scared of raw eggs either...and I am a Taster as I cook, anyways. lol
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,451
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Well let me know how your experiments go! It's fun.

That flourless lemon or orange cake is a good place to start, IMHO - one of the things we also love about THAT cake made with erythritol (and maybe this holds true on others as well) is that when the cake is fully cooled, the erythritol makes this dandy little satisfying "crunch factor" in just the crust - not something you'd really say was CRUNCHY but just gives a little bite to it - not sure how else to explain it but we love it that way!

Kinda like if it had sugar crystals in the crust, KWIM?
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Well let me know how your experiments go! It's fun.

That flourless lemon or orange cake is a good place to start, IMHO - one of the things we also love about THAT cake made with erythritol (and maybe this holds true on others as well) is that when the cake is fully cooled, the erythritol makes this dandy little satisfying "crunch factor" in just the crust - not something you'd really say was CRUNCHY but just gives a little bite to it - not sure how else to explain it but we love it that way!

Kinda like if it had sugar crystals in the crust, KWIM?
Yes, I understand what you mean. It sounds yummy.

I'll have to wait until next week, when I can go to the Health food Store to pick up Erythritol.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,451
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I ordered mine through Honeyville Grain - less than twenny bux for 4 pounds...flat rate shipping is $4.95. I get my blanched almond meal from them too! AND flax seeds....
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
jacksmixedtape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: going to school in NC
Posts: 3,511
Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Hi Tooter!

I have been baking a lot with the combo of erythritol and stevia in the past months because I don't do artificial sweeteners any more. When I approach a new recipe, I do 1/4 to 1/3 of the amount of erythritol called for along with 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon blackstrap (4-12g carbs) molasses and enough stevia to make the batter TOO sweet. Making the batter too sweet is key for working with stevia! That way, the finished product comes out with the perfect amount of sweetness because stevia breaks down somewhat under heat (contrary to what some sources will say... you learned after enough unsweetened batches of baked goods!). When you first start out using the erythritol/stevia combo, you might want to make very small test batches so you don't waste these precious ingredients!

In certain "moist" applications, you can sub erythritol one for one. Cheesecakes, cupcakes/muffins, and water-based frostings do not have a pronounced cooling effect when you use a lot of erythritol, but anything "dry" like cookies and brownies or consisting of mostly fat like buttercream frosting will have a very noticeable off-putting menthol mouthfeel with more than small amounts of erythritol.

I believe you can make over 99% of your old high carb favorites with that combo. Made some brownies the other day that were indistinguishable from their carby counterparts! They were even tastier because they were completely natural. Hope that helps.
__________________
~Lauren

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 06-26-2008 at 07:27 PM..
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:00 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Thank you, Lauren!
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:09 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Anyone else with advice or experience with it to share?
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:45 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,355
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Always grind your erytritol. I'm sure you already figured that one out. Sometimes you can get away without grinding it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also I gor my erythritol from a place with no shipping charges if you order $20 worth. Price is $5 a pound. Even less if you buy a lot. (I bought 50 pounds-came out to $3.50 a pound). Google Emerald and Forest together.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Always grind your erytritol. I'm sure you already figured that one out. Sometimes you can get away without grinding it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also I gor my erythritol from a place with no shipping charges if you order $20 worth. Price is $5 a pound. Even less if you buy a lot. (I bought 50 pounds-came out to $3.50 a pound). Google Emerald and Forest together.
Thanks, Soobee. I haven't figured it out yet, because I haven't used erytritol yet. I need to grind it up first? Are the crystals too big? Could you explain this to me?
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,355
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Erythritol has a fierce desire to recrystalize after being dissolved. It will make your cookies crunchy with a minty kind of flavor. It will recrystallize in truffles so you get little crystals that are hard when you bite into them, as well as having that "cooling effect" erythritol is famous for. If you grind erythritol before you use it, the recipes come out just fine. I've never had a problem with any recipe if I grind the erythritol first. I do not use as high a percentage as Charski. I use mostly liquid sucralose and some stevia. I use just enough erythritol to give the recipe a sugar-like feel, usually 1/2 cup.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 615
Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Erythritol has a fierce desire to recrystalize after being dissolved. It will make your cookies crunchy with a minty kind of flavor. It will recrystallize in truffles so you get little crystals that are hard when you bite into them, as well as having that "cooling effect" erythritol is famous for. If you grind erythritol before you use it, the recipes come out just fine. I've never had a problem with any recipe if I grind the erythritol first. I do not use as high a percentage as Charski. I use mostly liquid sucralose and some stevia. I use just enough erythritol to give the recipe a sugar-like feel, usually 1/2 cup.
ITA! Having wasted a perfectly good recipe of peanut butter cups (crunchy bits in it, blech!) I have now ingrained in my head to pulverize this stuff! It turns out just like icing sugar
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,451
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I've ground some for use in icing and stuff - I can see where it would be better to do that for cookies or candies which do not have a high enough liquid content/cook at heat long enough to inhibit the recrystallization - in cakes I've not had a problem though and we actually PREFER that little teeny tiny crunchy thing which is only noticeable in the crusty parts and then only barely, and not under the iced parts!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
I'm learning alot!! Thank you, all!!!
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Shimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,488
Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/1/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
I have never used Erythritol and would like to know how to start.
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I've never used it either. Netrition lists both powdered & granular...which is used most?[/COLOR]
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
jacksmixedtape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: going to school in NC
Posts: 3,511
Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I've ground some for use in icing and stuff - I can see where it would be better to do that for cookies or candies which do not have a high enough liquid content/cook at heat long enough to inhibit the recrystallization - in cakes I've not had a problem though and we actually PREFER that little teeny tiny crunchy thing which is only noticeable in the crusty parts and then only barely, and not under the iced parts!
To elaborate on Char's great advice--don't always powder the erythritol, because you want to aerate the fat with it in recipes where a less fine texture is desired (like cakes). You cream butter with sugar in order to whip air pockets into with the granulated sugar crystals.

As for as cookies and brownies go, I haven't had much success with more than small amounts of E even with powdering it because the sugar, like Soobee said, recrystallizes as the finished product cools. The cookies are great out of the oven, but awful 30 minutes later! I fed some friends chocolate chip cookies made with too much E and they asked if they contained alcohol!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #18
Guest
 
Kevinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,578
Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
, like Soobee said, recrystallizes as the finished product cools. The cookies are great out of the oven, but awful 30 minutes later!
Products like not/Sugar, not/Starch, and other gums as well as polyD (if you can tolerate it), aid greatly at retarding the recrystallization thus eliminating the cooling effect of the erythritol.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:40 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,355
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I buy the regular erythritol and powder it as needed.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!
 
retroworx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,173
Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Products like not/Sugar, not/Starch, and other gums as well as polyD (if you can tolerate it), aid greatly at retarding the recrystallization thus eliminating the cooling effect of the erythritol.
Hi Kevin:

Any suggested ratio of NotSugar to E? Or will that depend on application?

Thanks!
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #21
Guest
 
Kevinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,578
Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Any suggested ratio of NotSugar to E? Or will that depend on application?
As with many things lc amounts will change with application due to combination of ingredients which may aid the not/sugar in retarding the cooling effect of the erythritol.

As a rule of thumb though, my starting ratio's are:

1:8 (2 T. per cup) powdered erythritol

1:4 (4 T. per cup) granular erythritol
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!
 
retroworx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,173
Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
As with many things lc amounts will change with application due to combination of ingredients which may aid the not/sugar in retarding the cooling effect of the erythritol.

As a rule of thumb though, my starting ratio's are:

1:8 (2 T. per cup) powdered erythritol

1:4 (4 T. per cup) granular erythritol
Thanks for taking the time from your mending to respond, my friend.

P.S. I look forward (well, I'm not sure that's the right phrasing for someone else's troubles, but you get my drift) to reading about your travails on your site -- let us all know when you post.

Last edited by retroworx; 06-30-2008 at 09:00 AM..
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.