Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: TigerSmoke
Stats: 295/255/215 - 6' Male
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11/29/2003
Homemade Ice Cream -- Post your favorite recipe

We just got a new homemade ice cream maker. What are some good low carb recipes? I tried a vanilla one tonight that was decent:

3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup splenda (I used Sweetzfree)
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 tsp vanilla
dash of salt

Make according to ice cream maker directions.

OK, now give me some good ones!!!
TigerSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: woogers_1
Start Date: April 2003, April2008
I just got a ice cream maker too, it attaches to my kitchenaid. I thought it would be nice for family get togethers this summer, never thought of low carb ice cream for myself...I hope others respond...I better go put the bowl in the freezer!
woogers_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Rather than repost a bunch of stuff that's already here, I'm going to post a great place to start, here's the link to the sticky (it's right at the top of this Recipe Help & Suggestions forum and stays there) of KevinPA's recipes, which include a few excellent ice creams already. His Berry ice cream is right on the first "page".

There are others, but that's a fab place to start, and no searching required (though you might enjoy excercising the search feature).

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ipe-links.html

Enjoy.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I have that link already, but thanks...its just I was hoping for some simpler ideas. I don't have things like isomalt, xanthum gum, etc.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Here are some threads with ice cream recipes:

Ice Cream - Low Carb Friends

Need an ice cream recipe for my new ice cream maker... - Low Carb Friends

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...am-bars-3.html
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
Yum

I home made ICE CREAM! I got myself a cuisanart maker and have been having lots of fun--here's one of my favs---fast and easy...
LOW CARB ICE CREAM
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1 1/2 c low carb "milk" -either Carb Countdown or Homemade
3/8 cup sf DaVinci's syrup- I've used Amaretto, Vanilla, Caramel
dash salt

Make sure everything is cold-I keep a DV syrup in the fridge for emergencies!!
Can add a bit of chopped fruit, nuts, sf chocolate at the very end.....

I've thrown in a bit of a banana, a little crushed pineapple, and a few strawberries--call it banana split!!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I wonder if Almond Breeze could be used? Anyone know? Thanks!!
Old 06-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I make a chocolate soft serve ice cream as a meal replacement. I use coconut milk in lieu of cream because I have lactose issues. The whole recipe is about 8 carbs, 400 calories, and 24 grams of protein. I'd like to say I know how it freezes, but I always eat the whole thing.

Chocolate Soft Serve Ice Cream
1/2 cup water
1 pkg plain gelatin
4 T unsweetened cocoa (I use ghirardelli 1 carb per T)
1/4 t sweetzfree
14 cup erythritol (measure then grind to powder)
1/2 t instant coffee

Nuke 1 and 1/2 minutes. Add
1 1/2 cups cold water
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 t vanilla
1 scoop protein powder ( I use egg whites 1 carb)

Put in blender or use immersion blender. Stick in fridge to cool. Don't worry if it separates into layers. When chilled, put in an ice cream maker.

This makes a quart of soft serve chocolate ice cream My husband and I love it.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Soobee-your recipe sounds good-have you ever made it with just sweetzfree and no erythritol?
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I have tried it as vanilla. I use inulin (Fibersure -2 t instead.) But the texture is not as good. I have been experimenting with glucomannan powder ( Not good). I can't get that smooth texture that I get with the chocolate, and I don't know if it's due to the cocoa or the erythritol, or a combination of both.When I nail down a good vanilla recipe, I will post it.My vanilla was better with cream instead of coconut milk, but still not as good as the chocolate. The egg white power, which I switched to because of sensitivity problems with whey, turned out to help the texture of the ice cream also.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I have found that when making chocolate ice cream (and that's the only real thing that's different) the texture is much thicker and creamier. I do believe the cocoa is acting as a thickener or emulsifier to some extent. It's thicker and "heavier" even before the chillin' and churnin' (this was a classic custard style base with eggs).

I know for a fact that in custards, egg whites make a firmer "set" than egg yolks or whole eggs, too.

Hope that helps.

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerSmoke View Post
We just got a new homemade ice cream maker. What are some good low carb recipes? I tried a vanilla one tonight that was decent:

3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup splenda (I used Sweetzfree)
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 tsp vanilla
dash of salt

Make according to ice cream maker directions.

OK, now give me some good ones!!!
I think I'm going to try your recipe, its along the lines of what I was looking for as far as ingredients on hand, just a more basic recipe. I'm going to try replacing the half and half with unsweetened almond breeze, hope it works!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jeri, I made strawberry soft serve ice cream today successfully. It was the erythritol! I had only added it to my chocolate because sucralose is notoriously bad at sweetening chocolate. But you hit the nail on the head when you asked about the erythritol That's the mystery ingredient. The ice cream came out very smooth, very fluffy, and grew to make 6 cups! I couldn't eat it all, a first in the annals of history.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

erythritol!

That's it- I guess it's time to order some erythritol! I made some strawberry IC myself-last night-with DaVinci's Vanilla syrup and some Capella's Strawberry creme drops. I added my frozen strawberries at the end. We love it, but I've often wondered about erythritol and now I have a good excuse to get some.
jerikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
The best one I made was out of the DANDR 1992 book. The texture was fabulous but we had to eat it up then (which wasn't a problem) since it doesn't "freeze" well.
Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Jeri, I made strawberry soft serve ice cream today successfully. It was the erythritol! I had only added it to my chocolate because sucralose is notoriously bad at sweetening chocolate. But you hit the nail on the head when you asked about the erythritol That's the mystery ingredient. The ice cream came out very smooth, very fluffy, and grew to make 6 cups! I couldn't eat it all, a first in the annals of history.
Soobee:

Couple questions for you if you don't mind:

1. Did you use 1/4 c Erythritiol in the strawberry as well, or did you use more?

2. When you say egg white powder, do you mean egg white PROTEIN powder or simply powdered egg whites (like Just Whites)?

3. Did you use gelatin in your strawberry soft serve?

4. Have you frozen this over night and does it remain scoopable?

Thanks so much!

-Retro
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Hey, Retro, not trying to threadjack here, but I will interject that almost all my icecreams (unless I forget about the gizmo and leave it running too long) start out as soft serve. Right out of the gizmo, that's they way they usually are, any ice cream that is.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Retro, I don't know about freezing the ice cream because my husband was kind enough to finish it off for me. Here is the recipe I used. I also make a coconut and vanilla version. I eat ice cream everyday as a meal replacement--it's a dirty job.The egg white is called egg white protein. I bought it at Netrition. It looks and acts exactly like Just Whites powder, so I believe they wouold be interchangeable.

Strawberry Soft Serve Ice Cream
1 phg strawberry sf gelatin
1/2 cup water
1/4 c erythritol, then ground to powder
1/4 cup Sweetzfree
Nuke 1 minute. Stir. Add
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup coconut milk (I'm sure you could use cream)
2 rounded t inulin (Fibersure)
1/3 c egg white protein.
Blend with immersion blender. Put in fridge until chilled. Don't worry if it separates into layers. Put in your ice cream maker and voila!

Next time I might reduce the water to 1 1/2 cups total rather than 2 cups.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:08 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
Hey, Retro, not trying to threadjack here, but I will interject that almost all my icecreams (unless I forget about the gizmo and leave it running too long) start out as soft serve. Right out of the gizmo, that's they way they usually are, any ice cream that is.
Hi Jude:

Yeah, that's definitely how mine have been, which is great for eating right away, but then all my experiments freeze up overnight rock solid and I just don't like 'em anymore. And I'm too darned lazy to keep making up single batches for just me. I understand that Lecithin may be the answer for me, but the ice creams I've been working on are low fat/low cal as well as low carb and the Lecithin seems to be hugely caloric -- like pouring straight fat into the ice cream (which would work pretty well, wouldn't it!)

I've been experimenting with some NotSugar and it helps a bit but not enough before getting too slimey. So far the only ingredient I've used that seems to ****** the freezing (overnight again, mind you, otherwise, things are pretty edible out of the machine) is Cool Whip and I'm tryin' not to go there. I guess I could try some Maltitol syrup, but my diet is pretty much free of SAs and I'm not sure SA ice cream would really be worth it for me.

I also have a little packet of Frozen Dessert Mix from Expert Foods (which claims to be the ice cream secret) on hand which I will eventually try, but the stuff is SOOOOO expensive that it could never be the permanent solution.

Well, tho you didn't ask, there is my ice cream saga to date. Interject anytime, 'specially if you see me headed in the wrong direction!

-Retro
Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Retro, I don't know about freezing the ice cream because my husband was kind enough to finish it off for me. Here is the recipe I used. I also make a coconut and vanilla version. I eat ice cream everyday as a meal replacement--it's a dirty job.The egg white is called egg white protein. I bought it at Netrition. It looks and acts exactly like Just Whites powder, so I believe they wouold be interchangeable.
Thanks so much for the recipe, Soobee! I believe I have everything I need on hand, and tho I am striving to develop an ice cream treat as a low cal/low carb addition to my day, I'm gonna give this a whirl too and see how ice cream as a meal works for me, satiation-wise.

Couple more questions for you:

1. I have knox unflavored gelatin envelopes here. Anyone know how that compares to the typical Jello? i.e. is a packet of the Knox equal to a packet of the Jello re "jiggle-ability"?

2. What are the modifications you make for the coconut version, which I think I would try first? Unflavored gelatin, I imagine, which is why I ask the above question. I assume I shouldn't add something like DaVinci coconut syrup for flavor because it would form ice crystals and ruin the creaminess, yes? Would the coconut milk you call for already and a few drops of coconut extract do it for flavor, do you think? Or will I have to grind in a significant amount of actual coconut? I have coconut flour on hand, as well, but I've been hesitant to use it in much of anything after seeing Linda Sue's revised carb reports on that. . . .

Thanks!

-Retro
Old 06-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been using a packet of unflavored gelatin and a packet of sf jello interchangeably. You could use Davinvi's syrup, just decrease the water accordingly.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:31 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's what I'm eating today.

Coconut Soft Serve Ice cream
1 pkg gelatin
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup dried coconut
1/4 t Sweetzfree
1/4 c erythritol, then ground

Nuke 1 to 1/2 minutes. Add

1 1/2 c water
1/2 c coconut milk
1/2 t coconut extract
1/3 cup egg white protein

Blend. Chill. Put in ice cream maker.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Here's what I'm eating today.

Coconut Soft Serve Ice cream
1 pkg gelatin
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup dried coconut
1/4 t Sweetzfree
1/4 c erythritol, then ground

Nuke 1 to 1/2 minutes. Add

1 1/2 c water
1/2 c coconut milk
1/2 t coconut extract
1/3 cup egg white protein

Blend. Chill. Put in ice cream maker.
Perfect! Thanks!

And what happens if I don't chill in advance? (Yep, instant gratification is my middle name!) Am I chilling to let the gelatin set a bit? Should I wait until it gets "jiggly?"

Mucho thanks, again!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SteveKITH
Stats: 415/394/240
Start Date: August 2004
I think you really need some specialty ingredients to keep ice cream soft especially low carb varieties.

Some kind of sugar alcohol is kind of a must I think erythritol is the best. must be powdered.

I use xanthan gum, polydextrose, and agar agar for thickening and stabilizing. guar gum and gelatin are out for me but might be alternatives.

Also adding egg yolks (custard) helps alot but adds to difficulty/prep time.

I have been adding glycerin to my ice cream as well but I'm thinking it might not be totally necessary and it seems to make the ice cream melt quickly.

I made a batch of strawberry ice cream a couple of weeks back. I used smuckers sugar free strawberry jam for the strawberry flavoring. Didn't even need a scoop for the stuff. Just a regular table spoon. But it did melt pretty quickly. This wasn't really a problem because I had no desire to eat more than a small scoop of it at a time. I took two scoops the first time I tried it and put one back. It stayed soft for a full two weeks until it was gone. It was creamy, rich, and delicious.

People might not want to bother with specialty ingredients but they make a huge difference in the outcome.
SteveKITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SteveKITH
Stats: 415/394/240
Start Date: August 2004
you need to chill before putting in ice cream maker because otherwise ice cream maker would have to chill before freezing it. Most use ice and salt or a freezer bowl so they have a limited freezing ability.

I made a batch of chocolate ice cream the other night and it was a bit of a disaster because it was so hot in the house that the ice cream wouldn't freeze!
I decided to put it in the freezer anyway and while it ended up a little crunchy because the ice crystals ended up being bigger than I would have liked, they melted down pretty quickly and it has a nice thickness to it and it was still scoopable.
SteveKITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
1. I have knox unflavored gelatin envelopes here. Anyone know how that compares to the typical Jello? i.e. is a packet of the Knox equal to a packet of the Jello re "jiggle-ability"?

2. What are the modifications you make for the coconut version, which I think I would try first? Unflavored gelatin, I imagine, which is why I ask the above question. I assume I shouldn't add something like DaVinci coconut syrup for flavor because it would form ice crystals and ruin the creaminess, yes? Would the coconut milk you call for already and a few drops of coconut extract do it for flavor, do you think? Or will I have to grind in a significant amount of actual coconut? I have coconut flour on hand, as well, but I've been hesitant to use it in much of anything after seeing Linda Sue's revised carb reports on that. . . .
1. One package of either gelatin is designed (says so on the package ) to set 2 C of liquid.
2. Actual coconut doesn't have enough of what most of us are used to as coconut "flavour"; extracts and the coconut milk work best to get it. What Soobee said about the DaVinci's. Coconut flour has very little flavour, lots of fiber and is probably best reserved for baking of some kind, since it would probably end up all gritty and "unthickened" in an ice cream.

Oh, and the lecithin? You don't really need to use that much, the calorie content is minimal spread over the entire batch...and I found, when I tried it with some liquid lecithin from the HFS, that it left a bit of a taste I didn't care for, at least in Vanilla, faintly metallic almost? I would recommend you give it a try if you have some, but in a strongly flavoured ice cream only. And since chocolate seems to provide its own emulsifying, I don't use it anymore !

Quote:
I've been experimenting with some NotSugar and it helps a bit but not enough before getting too slimey. So far the only ingredient I've used that seems to ****** the freezing (overnight again, mind you, otherwise, things are pretty edible out of the machine) is Cool Whip and I'm tryin' not to go there. I guess I could try some Maltitol syrup, but my diet is pretty much free of SAs and I'm not sure SA ice cream would really be worth it for me.
I also have a little packet of Frozen Dessert Mix from Expert Foods (which claims to be the ice cream secret) on hand which I will eventually try, but the stuff is SOOOOO expensive that it could never be the permanent solution.
Erythritol is your best SA and as SteveKith said, a blend of ingredients including an SA (or 2 or 3...) seems to work the best for replacing the sugary texturizing effects -- which ice cream is heavily dependent on, in the "real" world -- of sugars. I use a polydextrose/erythritol (and other intense sweeteners) syrup I keep handy, just a couple of Tbsps, and Glycerin and some veg gums/blends, works for me.

I've gotten lazy, too. I no longer do (or haven't for some time) the cooked custard style of ice cream, but that version with the egg yolks does require less fiddling; the egg yolks provide a titch of lecithin and some thickening just as they are.

The Expert Foods products are different customized blends of 4 vegetable gums (again the synergy) and a little experimentation with the basic natural gums would do no harm, and -- eventually -- cost you less over the long run, but it's a lot of stuff in the kitchen in the short run. I've used them all (and the frozen dessert mix is one of their first and earliest products) but I have pretty much narrowed my product choices from ExpertFoods down to not/Starch, not/Sugar and not/Cereal (which has added dried egg whites). They are excellent products, every one of them, but because of availability (difficult) and cost (difficult!) I make do with those three and they keep me in cooking experiments for a couple of years, at least, having those 3 bags. I can manage, because I experiment, with those 3 and not use the specialty products like the Frozen Fudge Bar or Frozen Mousse or Frozen Dessert or Bake-Ability, etc. Hmmmmm, I'm probably not alone because some of those products are being discontinued... KevinPA pretty much does the same, I think he mostly uses the not/Sugar and the not/Starch as a backup.

I'll shorten it up, Retro (better late than never, eh? ). Use up that Frozen Dessert Mix (cuz you have it), and then try to duplicate it in future with a big ol' bag of not/Sugar (goes a ways further and very close) OR buy up some locally available veg gums (Xanthan, Guar, Arabic, Carrageenan?) and have stock to last you for years and years of experiments...

Last edited by theislandgirl; 06-24-2008 at 11:58 AM..
Old 06-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You chill the mixture also because it makes smaller ice crystals and a better texture in the finished product. I have an ice cream maker with its own freezer, so I don't have to worry about running out of chill.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveKITH View Post

I use xanthan gum, polydextrose, and agar agar for thickening and stabilizing.
"Oh, why o why am I so darned intestinally sensitive to PolyD", she bemoaned. I just know that it would unlock all of my ice cream and baking mysteries
Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
1. One package of either gelatin is designed (says so on the package ) to set 2 C of liquid.
2. Actual coconut doesn't have enough of what most of us are used to as coconut "flavour"; extracts and the coconut milk work best to get it. What Soobee said about the DaVinci's. Coconut flour has very little flavour, lots of fiber and is probably best reserved for baking of some kind, since it would probably end up all gritty and "unthickened" in an ice cream.

Oh, and the lecithin? You don't really need to use that much, the calorie content is minimal spread over the entire batch...and I found, when I tried it with some liquid lecithin from the HFS, that it left a bit of a taste I didn't care for, at least in Vanilla, faintly metallic almost? I would recommend you give it a try if you have some, but in a strongly flavoured ice cream only. And since chocolate seems to provide its own emulsifying, I don't use it anymore !

Erythritol is your best SA and as SteveKith said, a blend of ingredients including an SA (or 2 or 3...) seems to work the best for replacing the sugary texturizing effects -- which ice cream is heavily dependent on, in the "real" world -- of sugars. I use a polydextrose/erythritol (and other intense sweeteners) syrup I keep handy, just a couple of Tbsps, and Glycerin and some veg gums/blends, works for me.

I've gotten lazy, too. I no longer do (or haven't for some time) the cooked custard style of ice cream, but that version with the egg yolks does require less fiddling; the egg yolks provide a titch of lecithin and some thickening just as they are.

The Expert Foods products are different customized blends of 4 vegetable gums (again the synergy) and a little experimentation with the basic natural gums would do no harm, and -- eventually -- cost you less over the long run, but it's a lot of stuff in the kitchen in the short run. I've used them all (and the frozen dessert mix is one of their first and earliest products) but I have pretty much narrowed my product choices from ExpertFoods down to not/Starch, not/Sugar and not/Cereal (which has added dried egg whites). They are excellent products, every one of them, but because of availability (difficult) and cost (difficult!) I make do with those three and they keep me in cooking experiments for a couple of years, at least, having those 3 bags. I can manage, because I experiment, with those 3 and not use the specialty products like the Frozen Fudge Bar or Frozen Mousse or Frozen Dessert or Bake-Ability, etc. Hmmmmm, I'm probably not alone because some of those products are being discontinued... KevinPA pretty much does the same, I think he mostly uses the not/Sugar and the not/Starch as a backup.

I'll shorten it up, Retro (better late than never, eh? ). Use up that Frozen Dessert Mix (cuz you have it), and then try to duplicate it in future with a big ol' bag of not/Sugar (goes a ways further and very close) OR buy up some locally available veg gums (Xanthan, Guar, Arabic, Carrageenan?) and have stock to last you for years and years of experiments...
Jude:

Weird, my Knox gelatin doesn't specify the gelling capacity anywhere on my box and I've been wondering like, forever. It does have a recipe on the back for "Juice Squares" and those are 1 packet to 1 cup liquid ratio. Hmmm. . .

Interesting point about the Coconut flour and fiber -- that explains why it might not dissolve like a protein powder would. Thanks for pointing that out.

I might try a bit of Lecithin then in something like a mint chocolate chip ice cream, to mask the flavor.

I actually do have many of the gums and stuff on hand (Xantham, Guar, NotSugar, NotCereal, NotStarch, Konjac,) as well as the glycerine and lecithin, so the kitchen (or lab!) is pretty well stocked for experimentation. I'll do as you suggest and start with the Expert Foods ice cream stuff (to see if it actually achieves the affect I am looking for) and that will then at least confirm that I am on the right path (with the gums) in my ice cream Quest.

As always, thanks for your guidance,
Old 06-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You chill the mixture also because it makes smaller ice crystals and a better texture in the finished product. I have an ice cream maker with its own freezer, so I don't have to worry about running out of chill.
I have the same kind of unit with its own freezer, Soobee, so I didn't understand the need for pre-chilling. Thanks for explaining the science of it