Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NurseMama
Stats: 262/237/160
WOE: Idiot-Proof Diet
Start Date: May 2008
LC Sausage Gravy?

My hubby wants biscuits and gravy tomorrow for father's day and I would like to be able to eat some too! I am making oopsies and scrambled eggs for me instead of biscuits, but I am trying to figure out how to make the gravy LC. does soy flour thicken like white flour? Should I use some heavy cream and water instead of the milk that I normally use?

Anyone have a recipie?

Thanks!
NurseMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheDogAteMyName
Stats: 198/158.5/135
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: April 13, 2008
I cannot wait to see the responses to this thread. I have two dozen oopsies in the freezer and would love to have sausage gravy over them. I'm drooling just thinking of it.

Here's to Father's Day!
TheDogAteMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: g8rchic
Stats: 259(highest ever)/215.6/175 by Oct!
WOE: Atkins
I would love to make this for DH. Anyone??
g8rchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
I make brown gravy for a roast w/ xanthan gum, I suppose it could be used for sausage gravy also, but it won't be like it's thickened w/ flour. Maybe try some carbquick for thickener? All I would do is add some low carb milk to the skillet, add the xanthan and hope for the best. You might try just a little bit to see how it goes. I'm not known as the sharpest knife in the drawer
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: marymc
This is from another forum but I can't personally attest to it. If you don't want to use xantham gum as a thickening agent, you can use the old fashioned reduction method, which just means you need time to just let it cook down until it reduces by half.

Sausage Gravy for Biscuits

Sausage Gravy: -
1/2 roll sausage meat
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup water -- -if needed
salt and pepper -- to taste

Crumble sausage into a saucepan and brown/cook all the way through. Add seasonings and cream. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until reduced and thickened.

4 carbs per serving.
marymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another from another forum

Here is a great Carbquik recipe from their website. It was very very yummy and filling:

Carbquik Recipe: Sausage Gravy

Servings: 4
Net Carbs: 3g

Ingredients:

1 pound breakfast sausage
4 tablespoons Carbquik®
1 1/2 cups half & half
Salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions:

-In large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble sausage to lightly brown, removing fat from pan as it accumulates.
-Sprinkle Carbquik® over sausage in skillet, stir to blend, add half & half to pan all at once. Cook, stirring constantly over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
-Season to taste with salt and pepper.
-Serve over hot baked Carbquik® biscuits.

This recipe contributed by: Chef Gregory Pryor

Last edited by marymc; 06-14-2008 at 06:07 PM..
Old 06-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I found an old thread that may help:

"CatDogsKids’ Sausage Gravy

I have made sausage gravy & it tastes WONDERFUL! Use a pound roll of sausage & cook it all in a skillet until done (crumbled). Leave all grease in the pan! In a bowl, stir one egg into 2 cups of cream. When this is all combined, pour the cream/egg mixture into the sausage & grease. Stir, stir, stir. Because of the grease, it may come out looking kind of orange, but I guarantee you it tastes like sausage gravy we used to have!! Yum!

Now for my tweaks;
I've used hamburger, poultry and even made creamed eggs from the basic idea. I do prefer a thicker "gravy" so I use 1 whole large egg to 1 cup heavy cream. You can double or triple this recipe if needed.

For the poultry, if I'm using a roasted bird, I use the pan drippings (maybe a couple of Tbsp. to 1/4 cup per 2 cups cream and 2 eggs) or if it's not browned drippings, like from the slow cooker, I will put some poultry meat and the drippings in a skillet, boil off the broth and brown them up before adding the cream/egg mix on low-very low heat. After you add the cream/egg you must start stirring immediately or you will end with scrambled egg pieces in the gravy (lumps, I use a silicone spatula or whisk to stir). Stir constantly until desired thickness is reached then remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste before adding to pan or after, it really doen't matter when. This usually doesn't take more than 5 minutes or so to become thick.

For creamed eggs, I just make the gravy without pan drippings (you could use browned butter or bacon drippings if you wanted) in a Pamed skillet and then add sliced hard boiled eggs until they warm. (I also add a touch of garlic powder to the cream and love it. You could use nutmeg if you like.) Pour over any toasted LC bread. Yummy! "

I am going to try this!
695 to go!
[COLOR="darkorange"]10 hours of 10/10 Callanetics by July 1st[/COLOR]
1 down, 9 to go!
Old 06-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's Linda Sue's

CHEF GREG'S SAUSAGE GRAVY
1 pound pork sausage
1/4 cup Carbquik, 1 ounce
1 1/2 cups Carb Countdown whole milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, optional
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional

Brown the sausage in a large pot; do not drain the fat. Sprinkle the Carbquik over the sausage; stir to blend until no dry bits of Carbquik remain. Add the milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until the sauce is thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the parsley, if desired. Serve over hot Country-Style Baking Powder Biscuits (not included in carb counts - see recipe below).

Makes 4-6 servings or about 2 1/2 cups
Do not freeze

Per 1/4 Recipe: 437 Calories; 35g Fat; 28g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 291 Calories; 23g Fat; 19g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

I had to add xanthan gum to the gravy because the Carbquik didn't thicken it at all. I added a little too much xanthan gum, 3/4 teaspoons, and had to thin it down with a little water. I seasoned mine with a little Spicy Seasoning Salt. This tasted ok, but not quite like I remember that regular sausage gravy tasted. That was partly due to the strong sour taste of the biscuits. Parsley wasn't called for in Chef Greg's original recipe, but I always added that to mine to give it a little color.

SAUSAGE GRAVY AND BISCUITS
Per serving:
1 Country-Style Baking Powder Biscuit
1/4 cup Chef Greg's Sausage Gravy

Split the biscuit in half and top with the hot gravy.

Makes 1 serving

Per Serving: 374 Calories; 30g Fat; 22g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

Last edited by marymc; 06-14-2008 at 06:08 PM..
Old 06-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And another one from a blog. I did a google search & there are quite a few that pop up.

LC Sausage Gravy

1 pound Sausage - Jimmy Dean
2 cups 2% Calorie Countdown Milk
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons carbalose Flour

Crumble sausage and cook in large skillet over a medium heat, until browned. Mix in the flour until completely dissolved. Slowly, stir in milk then cook the gravy until it thickens and starts to bubble. Add some season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top biscuits with the hot gravy and serve. Place the leftovers in the refrigerator.

My husband who is a HUGE HUGE HUGE biscuit and gravy fan found this quite appetizing. OK, he liked it. He really did, I promise and I LOVED it!!! OMG, to eat a biscuit with jelly. I was in HEAVEN!!! Oh and the sausage gravy was delicious too!

1/2 cup serving:
Calories: 257
Fat: 23
Sat. Fat: 8
Carbs: 3
Fiber: 1
Protein: 10

CARBQUIK BISCUITS

2 cups carbquik - LC Baking Mix
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

Preheat oven to 350. Place dry mix in mixer bowl. On low speed, slowly add liquid until dough forms. Do not overwork the dough (mine was rather crumbly so I squeezed it a bit).

Place on counter covered with light layer of Carbquik. Roll into a 1/2" thick sheet. But with 1/2" circles ( a glass worked fine for me). Place on a greased cookie sheet. Brush with butter.

Bake for 15 minutes and check or until golden (watch them, they'll be golden inside and out if you cook too long). Brush with butter when done.

Yields 9 biscuits - 1 biscuit was:

Calories: 152
Fat: 11
Sat. Fat: 5
Carbs: 18
Fiber: 14 (wow what a fiber PUNCH)
Protein: 7
Old 06-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I would do the egg/cream recipe for a more authentic taste. Soy flour is icky tasting..
Let us know what you do.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

I wish I had some carbquick! Has anyone found it in a grocery store or is only online?
Old 06-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: luckiangel
Stats: 316/293/150
WOE: Atkins/Lower Carb
Start Date: 2003-ongoing
here's my recipe....

ground turkey sausage
green onions
cream cheese
heavy cream
half/half
pepper

i brown my sausage with the green onion till the meat is cooked.
then i add 8 oz of cream cheese and combine the heavy cream and half and half together. (1 cup each). i let it boil first and keep stirring. Reduce the heat and let thicken. Sometimes I add a little bit of thickener such as soy flour, oat flour or more cream cheese. I make this similar to making creamed spinach. When i get the thickness I want I add black pepper to taste.
My family loves it!! carb count = 4.9 for 7 servings.

Last edited by luckiangel; 06-14-2008 at 06:25 PM..
luckiangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have found LC baking mix at health food stores only in my area. Not necessarily any specific brand. Here's KevinPA's basic mix.

Basic Low Carb Baking Mix

3 cups soy protein isolate
2 cups soy flour
2 cups oat flour
2 cups almond flour
½ cup vital wheat gluten
¼ cup flax seed meal
4 tsp baking soda
5 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp salt

Sift together and store in refrigerator.
Source:"low-carb-recipe-exchange@yahoogroups.com2002"

Per Serving: 778 Calories; 35g Fat (36.9% calories from fat); 59g Protein; 76g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 16634mg Sodium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseMama View Post
I wish I had some carbquick! Has anyone found it in a grocery store or is only online?
Old 06-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Carbquik is only found online for the most part, though on occasion you will find a health food store or low carb store that sells it.

Bob's Red Mill makes a low carb flour, though nto as low in carbs as carbquik. Some grocery stores carry the bob's red mill products in thier healthy foods section.

hope that helps

Last edited by Yummy's_Girl; 06-14-2008 at 07:00 PM..
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
I just brown the sausage, crumble it, pour off the excess grease and pour in about a cup of heavy cream. Simmer it for a few minutes and it will naturally get thick. This is rich, but it tastes just like regular sausage gravy with no hard to find ingredients, and no funny after taste.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MyJourney
WOE: IF 23/1 - Atkinsish - BFL (parts)
Start Date: Long ago
I agree with the cream idea and cooking down. If you want it thicker you can always add an egg yolk.
MyJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

So how did you end up making it for your hubby today????
Old 06-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

I made the cream/egg gravy and it was pretty good! I actually made both my traditional southern sausage gravy and this one side by side on the stove because my hubby is picky and I didn't want to ruin the father's day meal that he asked for. We did a side by side taste test and the flavors were remarkably similar, but the cream gravy did not manage the thickness that the flour gravy had. I was perfectly happy with my version over some oopsies and some scrambled eggs while he had his version with biscuits.

Here is the basic recipe that I followed:

1lb sausage browned
I mixed a 2 cups of cream with 2 eggs because I like thick gravy
A LOT of whisking to keep the eggs from scrambling (medium low heat here)
spices (sage, cayenne, black pepper, salt)
I think that it would have thickened up more if I had turned the heat up a bit. The cream cooked down so fast that I was afraid that it would burn. I think the next time that I make it I will combine half and half with cream to reduce the risk of burning it.

Overall, it was really good and had the basic flavor if not the texture of my flour sausage gravy. Next time I will probably try some carbquick or the basic low carb baking mix!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

i'm gonna give this a try sometime. it sounds very good.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
here's mine!

Sweeteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction