Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   My Super Little Splenda Spritzer! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/559543-my-super-little-splenda-spritzer.html)

kirax2 06-06-2008 06:35 PM

My Super Little Splenda Spritzer!

So, I've been reading a lot about liquid splenda on the boards, and thought I might pick some up. I also grabbed some boxes of the splenda Quick Packs on sale at Big Lots for a buck apiece - thanks to a thread on this board that gave me the tip!

Then it hit me: maybe I could make my own "liquid splenda"! I went to a couple of stores looking for little dropper bottles, and you know, NO ONE had any that would work! But Michael's had 2 oz. spray bottles, so I got two of them and started experimenting.

First I squirted one bottle into the other. After 50 sprays I measured the quantity of liquid: 1.25 teaspoons; not really enough to dissolve a teaspoon of powder effectively. So I gave it another 50 sprays, and it was the expected 2.5 teaspoons. Then I sprayed the liquid back into the first bottle (to test whether the bottles sprayed the same amount) and it took just 100 sprays.

Okay, now for the real test. I put 2.5 teaspoons of purified water in a clean bottle, and a packet of splenda quick pack. Screwed on the top tightly and shook well. It was cloudy at first, but after about a minute the water was clear. I sprayed it on the back of my hand and tasted. It was sweet!

The way I figure it, each spray is about 1/2 teaspoon. There are 48 teaspoons in a cup, and each quick pack is supposed to be the sweetness of one cup of sugar. Divide it by 100, and you have almost exactly 1/2 teaspoon per spray (I gave a little extra leeway for evaporation, etc.) Four sprays should be equal to one packet of splenda, since each packet is supposed to be 2 teaspoons of sweetness.

I've now used my spritzer in Coconut oil bark (it mixes MUCH better, and comes out way less grainy!), to give my daughter's plain yogurt a touch of sweetness, to spray on some turnips I was cooking a la mojo potatoes, in mini cream cheese muffins...the uses are endless. I like it a lot because it's a mist, not drops, which makes it easier to control and blend. I also like that it gives only a small amount at a time. If I want more sweetness I can use the packet, but often I only want to add a touch of sweetness to something (like the mojos) and even a packet is too much.

If you want to make your own, the bottles I bought were the 2oz. "Spray-Splatter Applicator" bottles at Michael's, item # GS-402, made by Mark Enterprises. After testing two of them, I can say that these two, at least, were pretty consistent in how much they sprayed at a time. They come with a clear little plastic cap over the top and were, I think, $1.39 each. The ratio is 2.5 teaspoons for each packet of splenda quickpack, or 5 teaspoons purified water for 2 packs. 5 teaspoons will be 200 sprays or so, about 1/2 teaspoon of "sugar" per spray. The carb count is pretty negligible, 8 at most for each packet, which means that 12 sprays is equivalent to about 1 carb.

But what about the cost? Well, at one dollar a box, the packets come out to 20 cents a packet. 1 oz of Sweetzfree, about 24 cups of sugar equivalent, is $18.00. Each Quick Pack packet is about 1 cup of sugar, so 24 packets x .20 = $4.80. Add the 1 time cost of the reusable bottle, $1.39, and you're still doing well: $6.19 for everything! Assuming that you can find the $1.00 boxes of splenda quick packs, of course. I bought 30 boxes, the equivalent of 150 cups of sugar...I think that should last me awhile! :rofl:

This does have some carbs of course, and if you end up using it a lot, you'll want to be careful! Sweetzfree and other types of liquid splenda contain 0 carbs, so in the end, they are overall a better deal in terms of health, if not necessarily in price or convenience, IMO. ^_~

-Janice

P.S. I imagine you could do this with any form of sweetner that dissolved well in water. You would just have to know how much of the stuff was equal to a cup of sugar in sweetness (and it would have to be a small amount). It would have to be fairly fine so that it wouldn't clog the sprayer, too. I always give mine a shake before using it, even though it doesn't seem necessary, because it dissolves so well.

jlatislaw 06-06-2008 08:54 PM

kirax2: Sounds like a good idea. If you want to get more quick packs go to the Splenda site. If you order two cases you get the third free. I've just ordered my third case - but you have to wait a while between orders. Some people couldn't get another order right after the first one. Maybe another company will take up the QP's and market them differently than Splenda did.

kirax2 06-06-2008 09:48 PM

Thanks for the tip! I checked out the site; it is a great deal, but the $1.00 per box at Big Lots is still a little bit cheaper! At the Splenda site you get 3 cases (including the free case) for $31.90 before shipping. There are 6 boxes in a case, so that's approximately $1.75 per box before shipping. But if I were planning on ordering something else from the site, or if I didn't have a Big Lots locally, I would totally go for that deal! Thanks for mentioning it, I hope it helps others on here that are interested. ^_^ With the high cost of food these days, we all have to cut back where we can!

-Janice

skg 06-07-2008 04:21 AM

I went to my Big Lots on Friday they didn't have them, I couldn't even find regular sugar. Thanks for the heads up on th website I placed an order also got the raspberry flavor packet to try.

A New Day 06-07-2008 04:55 AM

I have thought about doing that with a quickpack several times but I never actually got around to doing it. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it.

helper 06-07-2008 07:46 AM

Hello Janice, Thanks so very much for all your hard figurin'. This is so helpful. I'm wondering how it would work with the tabs I and others get from the U.K.?
helper

kirax2 06-07-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helper (Post 10419039)
Hello Janice, Thanks so very much for all your hard figurin'. This is so helpful. I'm wondering how it would work with the tabs I and others get from the U.K.?
helper

Do you mean the little splenda tablets? These?

I don't see why tablets wouldn't work, but I'd have to make a few caveats:
1. I've used tablets once or twice before, and found that they don't seem to dissolve nearly as well as regular splenda, especially in cold liquid. So I'd make sure the water you used was a little on the warm side, and maybe pound or grind up the tablets first, to make sure that they'll really dissolve.

2. When I used them, I didn't find the flavor to be quite the same as regular splenda, for me, they seemed to have an edge of bitterness, though I'm not sure why. I think there actually might be ingredients in the tablet that aren't in the regular packets, maybe to hold it together?

3. One tablet is 1 teaspoon of sweetness, which means you would need a LOT of tablets to make a cup of sweetness: 48 tablets! At that point, you might almost just use packets. But you could certainly take 48 tablets, grind them up, and mix them with water, and see if it works. Just make sure you know how much water you have in drops or sprays, so you know how much sweetness you're getting each time you use it. Test your applicator and see how much water 48 (or 96) drops/sprays/whatever comes out to, and you'll know the ratio of water to sweetener you'll need.

Overall, I don't think it would work as well, to be honest. But if you've got some extra tablets around, I don't see why you shouldn't try it! I'd love to be proven wrong!

-Janice

P.S. For those looking at Big Lots, look for the Kool-Aid and other drink mixes. It took me awhile to find the splenda qp boxes; they were smaller than I'd expected! Which is nice, because they're easy to store. ^^

theislandgirl 06-07-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirax2
...If you want to make your own, the bottles I bought were the 2oz. "Spray-Splatter Applicator" bottles at Michael's, item # GS-402, made by Mark Enterprises. After testing two of them, I can say that these two, at least, were pretty consistent in how much they sprayed at a time. They come with a clear little plastic cap over the top and were, I think, $1.39 each. The ratio is 2.5 teaspoons for each packet of splenda quickpack, or 5 teaspoons purified water for 2 packs. 5 teaspoons will be 200 sprays or so, about 1/2 teaspoon of "sugar" per spray. The carb count is pretty negligible, 8 at most for each packet, which means that 12 sprays is equivalent to about 1 carb....

I've been doing this with pure stevia for years, with dropper bottles, but sadly the stevia isn't nearly as consistent in sweetness as the Splenda!

By the way, I'm pretty sure that 1 QP packet is precisely 3g of carbs, not 8g per packet -- or did I misunderstand your post?

Anyway, that would certainly lower the carb count, 6g for 2 packets divided by 200 sprays == 0.03 per spray so 6 sprays is 0.5 Tsp sweetness times 6 = 1 Tbsp sweetness for 0.18g which would then be a fraction less than 3g carb per Cup of sweetness, full circle and it balances. 12 sprays would be 0.36g carb for 2 Tbsp sweetness, and so on.

This is definitely a much better carb bargain than just about anything else in the liquid sucralose line, except for the Sweetzfree and SweetWater and the other 24C for 0g carb products.

:hiya:

helper 06-07-2008 11:44 AM

Hmm-

Thanks, Janice. In teresting stuff. The ones on the link are the "minis". Have never tried them for anything. I ones I refer to are prob about the same. Their pkg. has a site in the U.K. Don't know how to make that link thingy you did, but it's the usual and .splenda.co.uk. I'd like to try it but. 48 tabs are a lot to waste. Ya might take a look. Thanks again, helper

kirax2 06-07-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theislandgirl (Post 10419881)
I've been doing this with pure stevia for years, with dropper bottles, but sadly the stevia isn't nearly as consistent in sweetness as the Splenda!

By the way, I'm pretty sure that 1 QP packet is precisely 3g of carbs, not 8g per packet -- or did I misunderstand your post?

Anyway, that would certainly lower the carb count, 6g for 2 packets divided by 200 sprays == 0.03 per spray so 6 sprays is 0.5 Tsp sweetness times 6 = 1 Tbsp sweetness for 0.18g which would then be a fraction less than 3g carb per Cup of sweetness, full circle and it balances. 12 sprays would be 0.36g carb for 2 Tbsp sweetness, and so on.

This is definitely a much better carb bargain than just about anything else in the liquid sucralose line, except for the Sweetzfree and SweetWater and the other 24C for 0g carb products.

Ah, thanks for the info! I couldn't find any "official" carb counts for the Quick Packs, some places said 4, some said 8, and some said 3, but none seemed to be from an official source, so I went with the highest number to be on the safe side. It certainly does cut down on the carb count if it's only 3 per packet! Do you happen to have a source for that number? That really makes my day!

I'm really finding the spritzer to be tremendously convenient! It's nice to have a quantity of sweetness smaller than a packet to work with - I find I can use less sweetness overall without messing with half packets.

helper - The ones on that site look like the same "mini" tablets of which I was speaking. 48 tablets are a lot; I don't know how much they cost there but you'll definitely want to do a price comparison between that and just buying some form of liquid splenda (i.e. off ebay). Also, I'm not sure of what the carb count is per tablet, but I'll bet with 48 of them it could add up! So please be aware of that as well.

-kirax2

P.S. To do a link, click the little "World and paperclip" icon at the top of the message box when you're typing a message, then paste the link address into the box that pops up.

helper 06-07-2008 12:14 PM

On the pkg, it says--carbs=trace. I do get liquid sucralose from a person in Australia. I know some folks on here may get from there (Dale). What is your opinion of that product?
helper

Kirax2--thanks for the link info.

Barbo 06-07-2008 12:21 PM

Kirax

You may be a junior low carb member but you got big time thinking.

Thanks for this. I'm on the way to the kitchen to mix me up some liquid
QP's.

theislandgirl 06-07-2008 12:29 PM

KevinPA did some research and is pretty clear on the QPs; 3g per pouch (1C sugar equivalent) and 1 Tsp in quantity of powder inside the pouch, while we are on the subject). Actually, I'd say 4g to be on the safe side...well, see below for why.

(LindaSue's site has the Splenda comparison information on it, I'll put a bet on that she's got that page up to date with the QPs, as well)

The package Nutrition Facts information (like almost any other product) uses the smallest serving size so they can be vague about true carb counts. 1/8th package, = <1g indeed...

Here's an interesting mind excercise, though. On the front of the box of 5-packs, it says Net Wt 0.7 oz (20g). Since the entire measurable weight of the contents of the pouches is the filler (we couldn't actually SEE the amount of pure sucralose for 1 C equivalency, never mind weigh it) of Dextrose and Maltodextrin sugars, that makes 4g of pure sugars (and carbs) per pouch. Hence, 4g carbs per 1 Cup sweetness equivalent pouch.

Works for me.

mac24312 06-07-2008 02:17 PM

Subbing to remember to try this!

kirax2 06-07-2008 03:54 PM

Barbo: Thanks so much! I hope it helps people. ^_^ I've been amazed by this site so far; so many articulate, interesting people...it's a little dangerous for me, because I've been getting caught up in it a little TOO much! *laughs*

theislandgirl: That's brilliant! I didn't even think about looking at the net weight. ^^ That makes the carb count just half of what I posted before; .5 gram for 12 sprays or 1 gram per 24 sprays - not bad at all!

helper: I haven't actually tried liquid sucralose yet; I was waiting to order it because of the cost, and then I found this instead. I know a lot of people swear by it, though! It has even fewer carbs than my homemade mix, which can only be a good thing, but the carbs in my mix are negligible enough that I'm not worrying about it too much. One thing you might do is order some pure sucralose powder, I know some highly reviewed sellers on ebay carry it. Then you could mix that with purified water in the same way that you would use a quick pack, you'd just have to know how much = 1 cup of sweetness. It *might* be cheaper than buying the liquid, especially if you made a more diluted mix that would last longer. That stuff is so concentrated, though, that you'd want to be REALLY careful measuring it out (I'd use a scale) so that you made sure you got an exact ratio between the powder and the water. The nice thing is you could adjust the ratio to get whatever concentration of sweetness you wanted, i.e. 1 teaspoon per, .5 teaspoon per, 2 teaspoons per, etc.

Good luck!
-Janice
aka kirax2

retroworx 06-07-2008 05:45 PM

For those not needing the liquid route but don't need a whole QP pack at a time, you can transfer several QPs to a used spice jar with a removable shaker top (I knew I was hoarding those for a reason!) and sprinkle to taste when that is convenient (iced tea, for instance), or open top and use measuring spoons when more effective (for measured amounts in baking, etc)

New spice jars can also be purchased online. . . .