Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Char's Ovenroasted Beef Shortribs (by request) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/558431-chars-ovenroasted-beef-shortribs-request.html)

Charski 05-31-2008 02:02 PM

Char's Ovenroasted Beef Shortribs (by request)

Char's Ovenroasted Beef Shortribs

4 pounds bone-in OR 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs
Bacon fat or olive oil
Adobo seasoning powder and chile powder OR salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2 medium onions, sliced somewhat thickly
8 oz. brown mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. beef stock paste
2 cups dry red wine
2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
Herb bundle (sprigs of rosemary, oregano, and parsley, tied together with kitchen twine)

Preheat oven to 325*.

Sprinkle ribs liberally on all sides with adobo/chile powder (I like chipotle or pasilla) or salt & pepper. Brown ribs on all sides in a little bacon fat or olive oil. Put in a foil-lined roasting pan that fits the meat with some room. Brown the onion in the same pan; spread over meat. Brown the mushrooms, adding more fat if needed; spread those over the meat/onions.

Add the beef stock paste, balsamic vinegar and red wine to the skillet, and heat, stirring, until the beef stock paste is dissolved and the wine is simmering. Add the garlic cloves, stir, and pour over meat. Add the herb bundle to the roasting pan, pushing it down into the juices. Cover with heavy-duty foil and roast 3 hours.

Increase heat to 375* and remove foil; roast another 30 minutes or until the meat is getting a good brown on it and the tops are getting a bit of crispy on them.

Serve with Dreamfields pasta or roasted, mashed root veggies.

I have also made this using rehydrated dried porcini mushrooms, using some of the strained soaking liquid in place of the red wine. You could use LC beer instead of wine too, or just beef broth if you're not into alcoholic cooking! :D

StacyW 05-31-2008 02:04 PM

I am drooling....

Charski 05-31-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswalker1992 (Post 10387370)
I am drooling....

And they ARE droolworthy if I DO say so myself! LOL!

Very easy to throw together, cooks unattended, feeds a crowd or gives you reheatable leftovers - we love them with mashed rutabaga/parsnip/turnips or mashed cauliflower.

I buy the boneless shortribs at Costco most of the time, unless I find a really good buy on bone-in someplace.

SaltyDog 05-31-2008 03:32 PM

I just dug some ribs out of the freezer and will be trying this recipe tomorrow. Thanks!!! They sound yummy!!!

Barbo 05-31-2008 05:50 PM

Only One Word X3

WOW WOW WOW

soon 05-31-2008 06:01 PM

oh my this sounds sooo good thanks for posting cant wait.

SSin-Deb 05-31-2008 09:13 PM

Hi Charski ~ I haven't heard of beef stock paste. Can you post where you buy this and the brand? Thanks so much! This recipe sounds delicious! **

Charski 05-31-2008 10:20 PM

I can get it at Smart & Final and Costco. It comes in a plastic "tub" or a glass jar - you can also get chicken, turkey, ham, veggie - but if you can't find it, just use a bouillon cube. You might want to cut back a bit on the salt on the meat though as I find bouillon cubes (or even those bouillon crystals or packets) saltier than the paste version.

I believe I also saw it in the Penzey's Spices catalog - you can google them online too!

I really love it, I can use as much or as little as I need and it dissolves quickly in warm liquids. I also use it as a gravy base.

SSin-Deb 05-31-2008 11:14 PM

Thanks Charski ~ We've got both Costco and Cash & Carry (owned by S&F), so I should be able to find this. I'm thinking it might be by the spices at Costco? **

Charski 06-01-2008 08:53 AM

Yes - it should be in the spice section - they have both beef and chicken flavors. S & F (C & C) carries more flavors of it, in a plastic jar with a screw-top lid.

I always refrigerate it after opening, FYI!

See, you could get your beef stock paste AND your boneless shortribs at Costco - AND get some of those good brown mushrooms they have too, and the sweet onions - dang, one trip to Costco and you'll be makin' shortribs! ;)

SSin-Deb 06-01-2008 09:00 AM

LOL ~ I tell ya Charski, I don't know what we'd do without our Costco! We go every 2 weeks for our main shopping and then in between for a produce run!

I will look for those containers, I'm pretty sure I know what you're posting about as I've seen them before. And thanks for mentioning the short ribs as I've never bought/prepared them before. **

Charski 06-01-2008 09:59 AM

I love it too - it's mostly just DH and me, although I do some shopping for my Mom too - but I find myself in there fairly often!

You just can't beat their prices on some stuff - like half a gallon of heavy cream for what, about five/six bucks...I pour half of that into a quart glass canning jar and vacuum-seal it with the FoodSaver and it stays fresh for a couple weeks!

I hope you like the shortribs and I hope "your" Costco has them.

They are also terrific with Scorpgc's Scalloped Turnips recipe!

Charski 06-01-2008 10:03 AM

Let's see if this works:

http://www.soupbase.com/images/basecup1.jpg

This is what Costco carries! Just the chicken and beef though.

rexsreine 06-01-2008 10:05 AM

For what it's worth, if you have an upscale gourmet grocery in your area, see if they have (or can get) a brand of stock paste called Minor's. It's not particularly cheap but it is - hands down - the best I've ever tried and I've tried them all. DH and I have done blind taste tests and Minor's comes out on top. It has flavor, not just salt! I always keep both their beef and chicken in the fridge. I've even bought the stuff as a gift for my cooking friends and family. Minor's does have a web site and you can order from them but you'll have the added cost of shipping.

Ginny

Charski 06-01-2008 10:23 AM

Yep, Ginny, that's the one in the link!

I like it best also.

rexsreine 06-01-2008 03:40 PM

Well, dang it, Charski. The Costco here doesn't carry Minor's, just some over-salted stuff with a phony flavor. For Minor's I have to go to a lovely, upscale, ridiculously priced store where I am always tempted to buy many other goodies...

Charski 06-01-2008 04:20 PM

Well that's a big ugly bummer, Ginny!! LOL!

Last time I GOT some it was at Costco - it lasts for quite a while - will have to look next time and see if they still carry it. You know Costco - you get used to something great (like Tillamook Reserve Extra-Sharp White Cheddar) and then they quit carrying it! GRRR!

CreekWatcher 06-02-2008 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexsreine (Post 10389856)
For what it's worth, if you have an upscale gourmet grocery in your area, see if they have (or can get) a brand of stock paste called Minor's. It's not particularly cheap but it is - hands down - the best I've ever tried and I've tried them all. DH and I have done blind taste tests and Minor's comes out on top. It has flavor, not just salt! I always keep both their beef and chicken in the fridge. I've even bought the stuff as a gift for my cooking friends and family. Minor's does have a web site and you can order from them but you'll have the added cost of shipping.

Ginny

This is probably a stupid question, but does the Minor's have a bone, as well as a meat, component? (Like a concentrated version of traditional bone broth?)

Charski 06-02-2008 08:46 AM

Here is the ingredients listing for the beef flavor:

Ingredients: Roasted beef and natural beef juices, salt, hydrolyzed (corn gluten, soy and wheat) protein, monosodium glutamate, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, yeast extract, caramel color, natural flavoring, sugar and potato starch.

Geez, now that I read that - I may go on the hunt for something with less crap in it! UGH!

They DO offer some without MSG and/or low sodium but they still have some stuff I'd rather not eat in them - although it only takes a teaspoon or less per cup of liquid, so maybe it's not THAT big a deal - still....

Soobee 06-02-2008 11:39 AM

Around here you can get the Minor base at BJ's but not at Costco.

decodiana 06-02-2008 05:05 PM

Charski,

Do you trim most of the surface fat off or leave it on?

TIA

Charski 06-02-2008 06:19 PM

Nope. I never trim fat unless it's excessive. It renders out and gives the meat awesome flavor!

shadowzip 06-10-2008 06:41 AM

Charski I put this together last ight and put it in the crockpot,then in the fridge. With my work schedule I couldn't do it in the oven today but i will put it on at lunch time for a great supper tonight. Looks Yummy.:notwrthy:

Determinedtolose 06-10-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexsreine (Post 10390947)
Well, dang it, Charski. The Costco here doesn't carry Minor's, just some over-salted stuff with a phony flavor. For Minor's I have to go to a lovely, upscale, ridiculously priced store where I am always tempted to buy many other goodies...

I may check out AJ's, I love that store!

Determinedtolose 06-10-2008 09:19 AM

Hi Charski!

I'm going to try that this weekend!! DH has been wanting to buy short ribs, but I didn't know what to do with them! This will be awesome for a first time short rib maker!!

Thanks for posting this again!!

Charski 06-10-2008 11:33 AM

Glad you guys are gonna try it - Gary made it in the crockpot so I'm sure that will work just fine.

I'm gonna make it this weekend too for Father's Day dinner for my Dad. Which reminds me - guess I'd better call him and invite him! ;)

shadowzip 06-10-2008 05:20 PM

It was wonderful Charski, I fixed rice with it for DH and DS, cauli-rice for me, the juices were very good over the "rice". It was so tender and yummy. I never fixed short ribs before. Mine were boneless as I could not find bone in. Thanks for the recipe.

NGJ26 02-24-2009 07:52 AM

In the crock as I type... can't wait for dinner