Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Melle's Low Carb "Cheatos Cheese Puffs"

I had another thread, entitled "[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Anyone make Meringues[/COLOR]". With the help of Zer, that thread quickly evolved into this "Cheatos Cheese Puffs" recipe. It was suggested that I have the title of the thread changed, but I wasn't sure how to do that, so I just took the pertinent quotes from that thread, and started another one. I hope it's okay, to do it this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle View Post
Final recipe (barring any further experimentation).

3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
A pinch of salt
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (frozen)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Put the frozen cheese in a food processor/blender and chop, until it's in tiny little pieces.

In a mixing bowl, blend first three ingredients, at high speed, until whites form stiff peaks. Sprinkle the chopped cheese, on top of the egg whites. Then, with a teaspoon or a rubber spatula, fold the cheese into the egg whites, VERY CAREFULLY, being careful not to disturb the fluffy whites, but thoroughly spread the cheese, throughout.

Then, using the tip of a teaspoon handle (not the spoon part), dip tiny little clouds of the mixture, and place on a cookie sheet. I would suggest using a sheet of parchment or a silicon baking sheet, but if you don't...spray the sheet, very well.

Then, lightly spray the tops of the puffs, with butter flavored cooking spray. Then, sprinkle grated parmesan cheese, on top of each puff. Then, put another coat of buttery spray, on top of that.

Bake at 300 degrees, for about 20-minutes. For crispier puffs, turn off the oven, and leave them in the oven for at least an hour. I have a gas oven, and left my last batch in the oven, overnight. The pilot light in the oven, kept it warm enough, that the "Cheatos" were VERY crispy. I then put them in an air-tight ziplock, and two days later, they were still crispy.

The finished product:

In the pan, before they go in the oven:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle View Post
The recipe is posted, as "Melle's Low Carb Cheatos Cheese Puffs". Pictures are waiting approval...don't know how long that takes, but they're the same pictures I posted, here.

LowCarbFriends Recipes - Melle's Low Carb Cheatos Cheese Puffs - Powered by ReviewPost
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Melle:

If you could get the administrators to change the title of this thread to "Low Carb Cheatos" or something, I'd bet you'd get more hits and suggestions

Last edited by Sugar Free Sweet Pea; 05-29-2008 at 09:04 AM..
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Zer
Stats: 5'10"; 65; 508.7/_320.0_/199
WOE: Atkins: <5%Carb; J-UD/DD(<2798/560cals); 128ozH2O
Start Date: Got scale at 432.4(2/8/08); 376.8(2/8/09)
One ready and willing "taster" standing by...drooling slightly...

I'm here. Just in case you need a taster. *me...me...ME!...waving madly*
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
I want some!
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Those sound really good till ya get to the part about sprinkling on the parm cheesh. Yuck sputter sputter! But I will probably just have to try them one of these days sans the Parm cheese. Seems I used to have some pwd cheddar cheese. Bet that would be good sprinkled on it (tho I can't remember the ingredients and don't know the carb count, so providing it is "legal").
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 195
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: October 1, 2014
These sound yummy. I remember the cheddar shake on stuff; believe it was for popcorn. Will look at market and see what the carbs are.
Cats for Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Those sound really good till ya get to the part about sprinkling on the parm cheesh. Yuck sputter sputter! But I will probably just have to try them one of these days sans the Parm cheese. Seems I used to have some pwd cheddar cheese. Bet that would be good sprinkled on it (tho I can't remember the ingredients and don't know the carb count, so providing it is "legal").
Originally, I tried the powdered cheddar. It was so salty, I couldn't eat them, BUT I put the powder in the egg whites AND sprinkled it on top. So, if you use the shredded cheddar in the egg whites, and then sprinkled the powdered cheddar on top, it would probably not be as salty. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:57 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ollamo
WOE: :::moderation:::
Start Date: may 13, 2008
Thanks for posting this. Looks really satisfying!!!
ollamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

New variation:

I am making my "Cheatos" for our camping trip...and I am out of cheddar and jack blend.

I don't feel like running to the store, right now. So, I decided to use Pepper Jack Cheese. Actually, I love Pepper Jack...much more than cheddar. Also, when I was putting the Pepper Jack in the little bag (to freeze it), I ground some McCormick Grinders "Italian Seasoning" (just a tad). So, I'm thinking this batch will be more of a spicy, Italian flavor. We'll see!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cocapelle
WOE: Atkins
I haven't made these, yet, but, posted the recipe, with Melle's name, twice, on the camping recipe question, in this section, and the main low carb section. Hope ya don't mind, Melle.
Cocapelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I looked & I don't have any of the cheddar pwd now. Don't remember having seen any of it in a long time either. So probably won't have any of that to put on top (which is what I was thinking of - cheddar/jack in the puffs, and cheddar pwd on top). So if/when I make them, I guess I won't have anything on top unless I get a box of mac & cheese, and just use the cheese pwd from that. As I said, I DON'T DO Parm cheese!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
why does the cheese have to be frozen I love the grated cheese in the bags?
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara690
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct,2003 this time around
I made these the other night and while they were good they tasted a lot like cheezits crackers and nothing like cheetos.So I get to thinking that it needed some cheddar powder on top(which I had) and that really gave them a cheeto flavor.
Another tip,I put the mix in a quart size baggie and sniped the corner.I then could squeeze it out to make them look more like the real thing.
Barbara690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
why does the cheese have to be frozen I love the grated cheese in the bags?
Since fat tends to make whipped egg whites collapse, I have a feeling the frozen cheese is to keep the fat frozen and not let it cause the egg whites to get runny. But it might work ok with just refrigerated cold cheese. Souffles generally work ok with cheese like this as long as you just barely mix the cheese with the egg whites.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

The reason we decided to freeze the cheese, is because I wanted the shreds of cheese to be smaller. I was afraid if I put it in the food processor, it would be so soft, it would just "mash it up", instead of chopping it. So, I froze it, making it harder...so the blades of the food processor would chop it...not mash it up.

You could use the shredded cheese, right out of the bag. I like it just like that, too. It's just that I was making tiny little cheatos, and wanted tiny little shredded cheese, too.

BTW, I did NOT like the cheatos I made this afternoon, with the pepper jack. They just didn't have as much taste, as the ones with cheddar. So, I'm getting up early in the morning, and making some cheddar ones, to take camping with us. I just got home from work, and am too tired to start them, tonight.

COCAPELLE, I do not mind at all. Share the recipe with everyone!

Last edited by Sugar Free Sweet Pea; 05-30-2008 at 10:11 PM..
Old 05-31-2008, 12:19 AM   #15
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Eggwhites...

Wonderfully informative post on beating eggwhites stiff, folding in eggwhites for anyone who thinks there's nothing to making meringue or working with eggwhites.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
another ? please. Can I buy powdered cheese with out buying macaroni and cheese???? no kids at home no one to eat it.
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:02 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I found mine at a health food store, except they are not carrying the bright orance colored cheddar powder, just a pale yellow one. [/COLOR]
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bella9
Stats: Size 22 down to 6 ~
WOE: Low Carb ~ my way
Start Date: February 14, 2008
I made these today and they came out great! For the powdered cheese, I used MollyMcButter, natural cheese flavor sprinkles.
Bella9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #19
skg
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skg
Stats: 220/169/140
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: March 31, 2008
I made these yesterday with the parm cheese I wanted the orange color ones . I found 2 different season's, Popcorn seasoning White Cheddar found it with the popcorn and Molly McButter Natural Cheese Flavor Sprinkles with the spices. I can't wait to try them with these.
skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #20
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
I made these yesterday with the parm cheese I wanted the orange color ones . I found 2 different season's, Popcorn seasoning White Cheddar found it with the popcorn and Molly McButter Natural Cheese Flavor Sprinkles with the spices. I can't wait to try them with these.
See carbs/calories for Molly McButter and in one brand (not sure of what brand skg is using) of White Cheddar seasoning. Some of the ingredient lists are really off-putting, as good as the cheesy taste might be. Amazing, what stuff is listed as edible.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #21
skg
Senior LCF Member

The white cheddar is made by Kernel Season's, says it is all natural and no MSG and made with real cheese, the calories is 2 and the carbs are 0 for 1/4 tsp. the sodium is 125. The Molly McButter Natural Cheese flavor is 5 calories and 1 carb for a tsp. Sodium is 75. Won't use a lot or eat it all the time will just be for a treat every now and then. Off to the kitchen to make my week worth of foods that can be made ahead of time.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #22
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
The white cheddar is made by Kernel Season's, says it is all natural and no MSG and made with real cheese, the calories is 2 and the carbs are 0 for 1/4 tsp. the sodium is 125. The Molly McButter Natural Cheese flavor is 5 calories and 1 carb for a tsp. Sodium is 75. Won't use a lot or eat it all the time will just be for a treat every now and then. Off to the kitchen to make my week worth of foods that can be made ahead of time.
Oh, the "no MSG" label can be misleading:
Quote:
If you want to find out if there is processed free glutamic acid (MSG) in a product, you must ask the manufacturer for information about "free glutamic acid." Don't ask about "MSG." Manufacturers find it convenient, when speaking to consumers, to tell them that there is no "MSG" in their product, meaning that there is no ingredient called "monosodium glutamate." Even if a manufacturer tells you there is no MSG in a product, there may be autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed pea protein, carrageenan, sodium caseinate, enzymes, and a whole slew of other ingredients that contain or create processed free glutamic acid (MSG) during manufacture.
I've read that the ingredient "natural flavors" is a way of hiding MSG in a product. Scary? I'll say.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Melle---I'm cracking up at how much these do taste like cheetos! Not the fried kind, but the puffy baked kind. I used sharp cheddar cheese and sprinkled with the Molly McButter cheese sprinkles and they are really good! Thanks for sharing these with us!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Melle---I'm cracking up at how much these do taste like cheetos! Not the fried kind, but the puffy baked kind. I used sharp cheddar cheese and sprinkled with the Molly McButter cheese sprinkles and they are really good! Thanks for sharing these with us!
They really do taste like them, don't they? I was getting too "wrapped-up" in trying to make them LOOK like Cheetos, when WHO CARES? As long as they taste like them, and crunch like them, who cares what they look like. We'll just close our eyes, when we eat them. I am really going to have to try some of those cheese toppings. They would be so good.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Quote:
Did you use Molly McButter (butter) or (cheese) flavor?
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #26
skg
Senior LCF Member

Molly McButter makes a cheese flavor
Old 06-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna... View Post
Did you use Molly McButter (butter) or (cheese) flavor?
I used the cheese sprinkles and just a little bit was perfect!

Another idea for these--maybe some kind of herb or italian seasoning and then use them for croutons--yum!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Another idea for these--maybe some kind of herb or italian seasoning and then use them for croutons--yum!
OH WOW! What a great idea!
Old 06-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wifezilla
Stats: 250/207/190
WOE: Read em all. Doing it my way.
Start Date: May 2007
ZOMG!!!! You invented low carb CHEESY POOFS!!!

wifezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #30
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifezilla View Post
ZOMG!!!! You invented low carb CHEESY POOFS!!!

bwahahahahahahaha! no kitty! that's MAH pot pie!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote