Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #61
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Viola!!!!!!! Thank you for the wonderful gift!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheeto's are my FAVORITE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle View Post
The recipe is posted, as "Melle's Low Carb Cheatos Cheese Puffs". Pictures are waiting approval...don't know how long that takes, but they're the same pictures I posted, here.

LowCarbFriends Recipes - Melle's Low Carb Cheatos Cheese Puffs - Powered by ReviewPost
hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
And gave up in defeat. You'll need to use sugar alcohols to get anything close to real meringues.
LindaSue, I was looking at the Splenda website and they have a recipe for meringue cookies. Just wanted to tell you not to worry about how your's looked because theirs came out exactly like yours did. Same color and texture too!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #63

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedtolose View Post
LindaSue, I was looking at the Splenda website and they have a recipe for meringue cookies. Just wanted to tell you not to worry about how your's looked because theirs came out exactly like yours did. Same color and texture too!
What did they call them? I'm trying to find the recipe on their site and it's not listed as meringue cookies. I found a recipe called Meringue Bites with Strawberries and Cream but they're white and made with Splenda/sugar blend.

It doesn't bother me so much that mine came out yellow and ugly. I just don't like them and I love real sugar meringues. There's no comparison.

Last edited by LindaSue; 05-27-2008 at 03:08 PM..
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #64

Gallery: Determinedtolose
Quote:
What did they call them? I'm trying to find the recipe on their site and it's not listed as meringue cookies. I found a recipe called Meringue Bites with Strawberries and Cream but they're white and made with Splenda/sugar blend.

It doesn't bother me so much that mine came out yellow and ugly. I just don't like them and I love real sugar meringues. There's no comparison.
My mistake LindaSue! I saw in a Splenda recipe book that I bought at the grocery store, because they had a picture of it.
Sorry!! I think it also had some chocolate chips in it too.

I don't know what a meringue made with real sugar tastes like so I can't say either way. I know that I do not like the kind made! LOL
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Quote:

I'd like to know, too. Cheatos I can take or leave, but cookies...I am a cookie monster.
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kissmygrits
Stats: 5' 10"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb. 2006
Melle, those look great! Just out of curiosity, what do you all think of deep frying these? I personally haven't deep fryed anything since my week old Big Daddy fryer exploded all over my kitchen in 1992, but do you think that would work? I was thinking you could drop little bits of the "dough" in the fryer (or force them out through the pastry bag), take them out to drain, and then shake them in a bag of cheese powder. Any thoughts?
Kissmygrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #67
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Zer
Stats: 5'10"; 65; 508.7/_320.0_/199
WOE: Atkins: <5%Carb; J-UD/DD(<2798/560cals); 128ozH2O
Start Date: Got scale at 432.4(2/8/08); 376.8(2/8/09)
Eggwhites and hot fat? A recipe for leather or Naugahyde, I think. But try it. Might work. Oops, just googled and got this:
Quote:
i tried to make these chinese dessert...and failed on first attempt mainly because i dont have a mixer, just did it by hand

basically you have to:

1. beat 3 egg whites until its all creamy and it wont drop on ur head if u turned the bowl upside down

2. add 1.5 table spoon of starch
add 1.5 table spoon of flour

3. mix again until its ...well....all mixed up Rolling Eyes

4. peel a banana and cut it something like..3cm long and cover it all up with the mixture, make it completely covered and a thick layer too

5. deep fry it until its a yellow colour outside

it tasted good when i made it the second time and well the cleaning all the oil up afterwards is hell
Not just eggwhite, but flour and starch (cornstarch?) added to make a batter. I'm just thinking how eggwhites get hard when an egg is fried in fat that is too hot. Leathery!

Last edited by Zer; 05-27-2008 at 04:52 PM..
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

I thought of that, last night. I asked DH if I could deep fry them, and he said he's afraid they'd blow-up. He doesn't know for sure, though...I think it would be like deep frying egg whites...but, try it and see. Next time I make them, I may save enough batter, to try frying one.

Oh, last night I turned on the oven and let it get to 300, then turned it off. I put the cheatos in the oven, and left them overnight. This morning, they were as crispy as they could be. I put them in a ziplock bag, and made sure all the air was out, and sealed it. They are still super crunchy.

Last edited by Sugar Free Sweet Pea; 05-27-2008 at 09:14 PM..
Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 AM   #69
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Yep, letting the meringues sit overnight in a turned-off, cooling oven, with pilot light generating some heat - that's how my sister does her meringues at Xmas.

Will you add this cooking method to the recipe you've set up?

I'm thinking that you now have created the crunchy Cheatos, while the other method of cooking is a softer Cheato - both of which are interesting LC options. You are changing LC eating!

Last edited by Zer; 05-28-2008 at 12:34 AM..
Old 05-28-2008, 05:33 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Low carb cheetos, wow! These sounds so good right now. Thanks for this, Melle! Adding cheese powder to my grocery list.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Low carb cheetos, wow! These sounds so good right now. Thanks for this, Melle! Adding cheese powder to my grocery list.
Be sure to note that in my final recipe, I DID NOT use Cheese Powder...I used chopped-shredded cheddar. The powdered cheese was WAY too salty, for my taste. However, you may be able to find a powder that's not as salty. JUST DON'T BEAT THE POWDER INTO THE WHITES...fold them in, very slowly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer View Post
Yep, letting the meringues sit overnight in a turned-off, cooling oven, with pilot light generating some heat - that's how my sister does her meringues at Xmas.

I'm thinking that you now have created the crunchy Cheatos, while the other method of cooking is a softer Cheato - both of which are interesting LC options. You are changing LC eating!
Yes, I will add that! I just tasted a couple of those, that I put in the ziplock, yesterday. They are still crunchy.

We're going camping this weekend, beginning Saturday. I'm planning lettuce-wrap sandwiches and bunless hamburgers/hotdogs, for lunches. I'm going to make a double batch of these on Friday, and leave them in the oven all night. I have some of those ceramic canisters (the kind with the
air-tight, hinged locking tabs on the lids). I'm going to fill the largest one with Cheatos, so I can have "chips" with my sandwiches and burgers/hotdogs.

Last edited by Sugar Free Sweet Pea; 05-28-2008 at 12:50 PM..
Old 05-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
DONE!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #73
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Talk about a happy camper....

Melle, as you plan your camping menu, I can see you as the happiest camper in LC compliance as you pop the top on your Cheatos and enjoy protein-fat snax in a way that others will gaze at in wonder. What a fantastic recipe this is!!!

I'm thinking to try bleu cheese when I finally get around to whipping up my own meringues. Seems to me that I saw bleu cheese on a Cheetos ingredient list, if you can believe that. Just seems to me that taste will be a good one. Yum!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Melle, as you plan your camping menu, I can see you as the happiest camper in LC compliance as you pop the top on your Cheatos and enjoy protein-fat snax in a way that others will gaze at in wonder. What a fantastic recipe this is!!!

I'm thinking to try bleu cheese when I finally get around to whipping up my own meringues. Seems to me that I saw bleu cheese on a Cheetos ingredient list, if you can believe that. Just seems to me that taste will be a good one. Yum!
Oh yes! Please let me know how that tastes. You just never know what they put in those originals. I need to go to the store, and take a picture of the ingredients, on my cell phone.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #75
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

hmmm...Cheetos is gluten free...

Quote:
I need to go to the store, and take a picture of the ingredients, on my cell phone.
Interesting factoid: Cheetos is gluten free.
Quote:
Cheetos Ingredients: Enriched cornmeal (cornmeal, iron, niacin, thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid) Vegetable oil. Seasoning (Whey, cheddar cheese, sour cream, artificial flavour, MSG, Lactic acid, colour, citric acid) salt.
Curious, isn't it, that cheese is listed as a seasoning. Sour cream too. Reading the ingredient list sure makes this stuff a lot less enticing. Urk!

Golly, Melle's Cheatos is so much healthier than the commercial product!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Ingredients for Cheetos

Cheetos Product Nutrition Facts

Last edited by jlatislaw; 05-28-2008 at 08:05 PM..
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw View Post
Ingredients for Cheetos

Cheetos Product Nutrition Facts
Quote:
Interesting factoid: Cheetos is gluten free.
That is interesting. Especially since I have a friend who does Dr. Gott's No Flour/No Sugar. She can eat anything, as long as it doesn't have added sugar (of any kind) and cannot have anything with the word "flour". For example, she can have "ground corn" tortillas, but not tortillas with "corn flour". So, she can have fritos and triscuits, and I guess, from looking at the cheetos ingredients, she could have cheetos, too. Very interesting!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:06 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Melle:

If you could get the administrators to change the title of this thread to "Low Carb Cheatos" or something, I'd bet you'd get more hits and suggestions
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Melle:

If you could get the administrators to change the title of this thread to "Low Carb Cheatos" or something, I'd bet you'd get more hits and suggestions
How do I do that?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #80
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Asking mods to change a title of a thread...

Might be as simple as hitting that little triangle dodad at the bottom of each post and just saying what you want and why you want a more pertinent title. I bet it can be done. Give it a shot. This is such a radical wonderful protein-fat idea that it deserves a STICKY to keep it up top on the message listing.

Do keep your name as part of the title. You deserve credit for one of the best ideas to come out of LC creative cookery!

You can always start a new thread and reference this thread.

Talk to Cheri about how to handle what is a HOT TOPIC!

Last edited by Zer; 05-29-2008 at 08:48 AM..
Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Mght be as simple as hitting that little triangle dodad at the bottom of each post and just saying what you want and why you want a more pertinent title. I bet it can be done. Give it a shot. This is such a radical wonderful protein-fat idea!
I'm thinking that the little triangle is only for obscene or insulting posts. I'll look and see if I can find a way to pm a mod.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #82
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I'm thinking that the little triangle is only for obscene or insulting posts. I'll look and see if I can find a way to pm a mod.
The little triangle gets immediate moderator attention and allows you to explain your reason for flagging a thread or a post. I've used it to ask if a post can be set up as a remarkable post worthy of being put into a place that some great posts are available for easy access. It's not just a complaining triangle. It's a fast way to get to a moderator who is scanning for alerts.

You might also PM Cheri, but I bet she is afloat in PMs. Busy lady. Cute too!

Do, please, keep your name on this product! Melle's LC Cheatos - or some such title. You deserve the credit for this!

Last edited by Zer; 05-29-2008 at 08:55 AM..
Old 05-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Final recipe (barring any further experimentation).

3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
A pinch of salt
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (frozen)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Put the frozen cheese in a food processor/blender and chop, until it's in tiny little pieces.

In a mixing bowl, blend first three ingredients, at high speed, until whites form stiff peaks. Sprinkle the chopped cheese, on top of the egg whites. Then, with a teaspoon or a rubber spatula, fold the cheese into the egg whites, VERY CAREFULLY, being careful not to disturb the fluffy whites, but thoroughly spread the cheese, throughout.

Then, using the tip of a teaspoon handle (not the spoon part), dip tiny little clouds of the mixture, and place on a cookie sheet. I would suggest using a sheet of parchment or a silicon baking sheet, but if you don't...spray the sheet, very well.

Then, lightly spray the tops of the puffs, with butter flavored cooking spray. Then, sprinkle grated parmesan cheese, on top of each puff. Then, put another coat of buttery spray, on top of that.

Bake at 300 degrees, for about 20-minutes. For crispier puffs, turn off the oven, and leave them in the oven for at least 30-minutes

The finished product:

In the pan, before they go in the oven:
Quote:
The recipe is posted, as "Melle's Low Carb Cheatos Cheese Puffs". Pictures are waiting approval...don't know how long that takes, but they're the same pictures I posted, here.

LowCarbFriends Recipes - Melle's Low Carb Cheatos Cheese Puffs - Powered by ReviewPost
Quote:
The little triangle gets immediate moderator attention and allows you to explain your reason for flagging a thread or a post. I've used it to ask if a post can be set up as a remarkable post worthy of being put into a place that some great posts are available for easy access. It's not just a complaining triangle. It's a fast way to get to a moderator who is scanning for alerts.

You might also PM Cheri, but I bet she is afloat in PMs. Busy lady. Cute too!

Do, please, keep your name on this product! Melle's LC Cheatos - or some such title. You deserve the credit for this!
Well, before I read your response, I just "multi-quoted" some of the quotes from this thread, and started a new one: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post10378179
Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #84
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

New thread? I'm signing up NOW!

I'm signing up now, as I'm sure you will be developing new LC ideas. Yummers!
Quote:
Well, before I read your response, I just "multi-quoted" some of the quotes from this thread, and started a new one: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post10378179
Old 06-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #85
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

D-psicose sweetener, works with foamy eggwhites!

Melle, there's a new rare sugar sweetener that MIGHT work for meringues: D-psicose.
Quote:
Japanese researchers investigated the effects of D-psicose on the foaming properties of egg white protein and the quality of butter cookies. According to the results, the foaming of the egg white protein was improved by the addition of D-psicose at a 15 per cent of sugar content. Under a longer whipping time, the researchers report that the D-psicose-egg white solution was "better in foaming capacity compared to sucrose- and fructose-egg white solutions."
Maybe we can get the crusty meringue cookies after all, using D-psicose as part of the sweetener.

Last edited by Zer; 06-14-2008 at 05:34 PM..
Old 06-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Melle, there's a new rare sugar sweetener that MIGHT work for meringues: D-psicose. Maybe we can get the crusty meringue cookies after all, using D-psicose as part of the sweetener.
AWESOME! I'll do some searching for it...Thanks!