Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
Linda Sue's Thai-style Beef Curry!

SO YUMMY! Thanks for another great recipe. I don't think I have ever been let down when making one of your recipes.

That being said..... it was almost too hot for me (probably used half the jar of red curry paste) and I love hot food! Next time I will use less curry paste.
So I decided to add a few more flavors to the sauce so my tastebuds could detect more than just a "hot" taste. This is what I added :

approx 1 Tbsp lime juice
5 pieces of fresh lemon grass (each segment approx 1 inch in length, bruised lightly to release the oil)
a few Kaffir lime leafs (torn to release oil)
2 drops liquid splenda

These additional ingredients made the sauce taste almost identical to the Ka Gai soup in the Thai restaurants!

Last edited by Motts Landing; 05-24-2008 at 01:44 PM..
Motts Landing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Glad you liked it. It does call for about half a jar of curry paste. I'm pretty sure that's how much Fran called for.

FRAN'S THAI-STYLE BEEF CURRY
2 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste *
2 1/2 cups coconut milk, 20 ounces (see my comments below)
2 1/2 pounds chuck roast, cut in 1" cubes
Salt, to taste
1/4-1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over low heat. Add the curry paste. Cook and stir 5 minutes; add the coconut milk. Cook 3 minutes longer. Add the beef cubes; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Cook until the beef is very tender. Don't add any salt at this point because the sauce will be reduced later and may end up too salty.

With a slotted spoon, remove the chunks of meat to a serving bowl. Pour the liquid into a fat separator and let stand about 10 minutes or until most of the grease has risen to the top. Return the meat to the cooking pot and pour the liquid back in keeping the grease out. You can also just skim the grease out of the pot, if you choose. Bring back to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, another 30 minutes to thicken the sauce. If the sauce isn't as thick as you'd like it, add the xanthan gum. Adjust the seasoning with salt and add the cilantro.

Makes 4-6 servings

* You'll need about half of a 4 ounce jar.

Per 1/4 Recipe: 934 Calories; 79g Fat; 47g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 6.5g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 623 Calories; 52g Fat; 31g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

This is from Fran McCullough's "The Low-Carb Cookbook". I had to use two cans of coconut milk to get 2 1/2 cups, but I think that one can would have been sufficient. There was too much liquid for the amount of meat and I'd rather not waste part of a can of coconut milk if I don't have to. Fran didn't say to skim off the fat but there was so much of it that I hated to leave it in. The flavor of this is very similar to my Rendang Pedang recipe, but you're saved the trouble of buying all the spices. I see that the Rendang calls for only one can of coconut milk, so I will definitely use that amount in this recipe next time. I've adjusted Fran's cooking time a bit. My meat wasn't quite tender enough even after adding an extra 20 minutes to Fran's time. I added some xanthan gum to mine. I found that it helped blend the remaining oils into the sauce and made it creamier. This is a spicy dish so you may want to cut back on the curry paste if you don't like your food too hot.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: threegirls
Stats: 244all time high/201/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 2007
Add me to the list. This is one of my favorite recipes that I make at least once a week. I go slow with the curry....usually only add about a quarter of the jar. I also add lemongrass, cilantro, and at the very end of cooking, broccolli. This is a really good recipe!!!!
threegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
OMG! Curry is one of my favorite things, EVER! I've never been able to find a good recipe, low carb or otherwise. I will definitely try this. THANK YOU!
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

oooohhh do tell your "coconut thai pork"!! Sounds wonderful!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpgc View Post
Linda Sue, are those Shitaki noodles or cabbage?
They're actually yellow squash "noodles". Here's a photo from the other side of the plate:

LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpgc View Post
Hi Motts:

I posted it last year (w/out pics) and will do so again in a new thread? I have question though, I picked up some dried lemon grass stalks at the grocery. I wonder how many of them I can use in the Thai Beef Curry dish? I think your addition of lime would be great, too! Can't wait to try this, my mouth is watering! : )

When you say dried... you mean fresh stalks? I use the fresh stalks. You peel off an outer leaf or so and use only the paler, portion (maybe the bottom 3 -4 inches) of the stalk. Throw the rest away. I cut my lemongrass "bulb" into approx 1 inch segments & for Linda's recipe...I wound up using about 4 or 5 "segments". I guess you will need maybe 2- 3 at the most stalks of lemongrass to wind up with 4 or 5 "pieces". Hope that makes sense. I don't eat it after it is cooked (suppose you could if it was cut up really small). I give each piece a good whack to slightly bruise it to release the yummy fragrant oils! After the recipe is finished, I remove all the stalks, leaves etc. If you buy the Kaffie Lime leafs...tear each leaf a bit to release the oils also.

When I make Tom Ka Gi soup (chicken with coconut milk) I use the galanga, lime, lemongrass etc in that as well. If you like lemongrass to cook with...buy several clusters and freeze the unused (cut up) portion so you have it on hand.