Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gypseemommy
Pizza Sauce

Does anyone have a good pizza sauce recipe or even a suggestion of what they buy use? I'm dying to try one of the pizza crust recipes but the sauce I have on hand has alot of carbs!
gypseemommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bahototh
pizza sauce

I always use tomato paste, to which I add a little water to thin out, + spices tiny bit of salt, herbs...
Bahototh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
I buy Hunts tomato sauce,add italian spices and use it.YUMMY !!!
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
I use Ragu pizza sauce.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, try their Three Cheese Marinara. It's thick and really good for a pizza sauce IMHO. Comes in a glass jar and runs about three bucks for enough sauce to make 2 pizzas.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:04 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Mackenzie
WOE: Lower Carb
Start Date: Restart 9/13/05
I make my own. I saute chopped onions and garlic in some olive oil until soft. Then I add chunky crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt and pepper and simmer uncovered until it gets nice and thick. (probably 1/2 hr)
Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
I'm with Mackenzie on this, but if you're really, really in a hurry, just dilute some tomato paste with water (making as thick or thin as you like) and add garlic and onion POWDER, Italian seasoning, oregano, and pepper, red or black, depending on the "kick" you want. Taste for salt before adding any as sometimes the paste doesn't need any. Better if you have time to let it sit for awhile before using.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpgc View Post
I trust Snow White's humble opinion (Charski), so picked up some Trader Joe's 3-cheese Marinara last weekend. Will have to give it a try! ; )
SmartA$$!!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I use Ragu pizza sauce.
Ditto. The one in my fridge, has 9 net carbs, for 1/2 cup. That's about all you'd use, on an entire pizza.

I used to buy Emeril's Roasted Red Pepper Spaghetti Sauce...it has to be "Roasted Red Pepper", and it only had 5 net carbs, per serving. But, it's so darned expensive...Emeril's really proud of his spaghetti sauce.
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
I want bunnies and birds to follow me around my backyard...
Gary:

My partner and I bought the house we currently live in after the first visit to the property -- there were Bluejays flitting about the bird feeders and bunnies hopping on the green expanse of lawn -- LITERALLY. How could we resist this Disney picture??

'Course if we had known then what we know now about maintaining water wells and septic tanks, we might have been more skeptical of all the bucolic glory.

Sorry to go OT on you all,

-Retro
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Hey, I happen to really dig Snow White, alright? My sister made me watch it with her growing up. I want bunnies and birds to follow me around my backyard...
LOL! I was more into "Fantasia" and "Black Beauty" myself.... Now *I* am Snow White - how the heck did THIS happen?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Gary:

My partner and I bought the house we currently live in after the first visit to the property -- there were Bluejays flitting about the bird feeders and bunnies hopping on the green expanse of lawn -- LITERALLY. How could we resist this Disney picture??

'Course if we had known then what we know now about maintaining water wells and septic tanks, we might have been more skeptical of all the bucolic glory.

Sorry to go OT on you all,

-Retro
Yep, I hear ya on the septic tank fun. At least we're on county water and not our own well!

Our favorite saying is, "That's what you get when you live in the country.... " LOL!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
At least we're on county water and not our own well!
Oh, yeah. A real added treat when the power goes out during a storm is that we have no water as well as no electricity. No power = no well pump. No well pump = NO FLUSHING!!

Who would think you could live like the Clampetts (Beverly Hillbillies) while only 45 minutes from New York City???

Ah, well -- fair exchange for the peacefulness out here and the space. We have 2 gardens (so far) and have planted some tomatoes and other herbs in the veggie garden this year and perhaps we will make our own pizza sauce from scratch. (Okay, no way in hell that's gonna happen, but I thought I'd try to bring this back on topic )

Cheers!

-Retro
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
Gadget Gal

LOL Retro!

Oh, I HAVE lived with wells before, so I feel your "no power" pain! Thankfully not this time. Septic tanks are enough problems all by themselves. But at least they don't count on electricity. They run on gas.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Trader Joe's also has a good marinara with sausage. I've used THAT for pizza sauce too.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
In my regular grocery stores... if I just take the time to read the labels of available brands of pizza and tomato sauce... I can always find 2 or 3 that are no sugar added (just tomatoes, olive oil, and spices) and are therefore low in carbs.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarblulu
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: this time: October 2007
Just made some pizza last night and used Progresso crushed tomatoes in puree. No sugar added, a nice bright taste. You don't need much - remember you don't want your pizza too saucey. I covered the tomatoes with some fresh basil torn into small pieces and whole milk mozzarella. My DH loved it! (made whole wheat crust for him, Cleo's cauli crust for me).
lowcarblulu is offline   Reply With Quote