Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
believe it or not i found a grocer near me that still has them on their shelf for full retail.

Personally I still have about 700 quick pack envelopes left from all the big lot raids I made

i am figuring 700 cups of sweetener should last me for a while yet.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 11-10-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
LOL Kevin, I dunno you DO cook a lot. Tweak, other than being out of SQP, i'm good thanks.

I keep my eye out in case any random stores have it on shelves. Of course, even if I found it on regular grocery store shelves, there's no way I'd pay full price for them I did check big lots again but no luck.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: anipomoni
Stats: 315+/183/155
WOE: LC. It's working!!!
Start Date: 03/05/09 for 25th time at 298
What are you people using instead of the quick packs? I'm seriously depressed. I had ONE box of the quickpacks that I never used for years until a few months ago. Now, I am totally in LOVE and find out it's been discontinued for so long. The davincis give me the lower carbs but a nasty taste in baking (I think mine are old though).
anipomoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anipomoni View Post
What are you people using instead of the quick packs? I'm seriously depressed. I had ONE box of the quickpacks that I never used for years until a few months ago. Now, I am totally in LOVE and find out it's been discontinued for so long. The davincis give me the lower carbs but a nasty taste in baking (I think mine are old though).
Once mine are all gone I will be going back to using some form of liquid splenda.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
Once mine are all gone I will be going back to using some form of liquid splenda.
me too....
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: locarbman
Stats: 289/180/185
WOE: Atkins/Maintenance
Start Date: September 1998
Quote:
Hi Eve ;-)

If you would really enjoy making your own "Quick Pack" equivalents, you may find post #98, page 4 helpful...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...splenda-4.html

Here is a copy...with some additions... ;-)

Formula #2 - 1 teaspoon Sucralose Powder + 12.5 Tablespoons of FoodScience of Vermont's "Clearly Fiber" (Digestive Resistant Maltodextrin) Powder = 12.5 Tablespoons "LCF Splenda Packet Dry Mix ;-)” where 1/16th teaspoon = 1 teaspoon sugar equivalence, 1/8th teaspoon = 2 teaspoons sugar equivalence (= 1 Splenda Packet) and 1 tablespoon = 48 teaspoons sugar equivalence (= 1 Splenda Quick Pack Packet ;-)

I have use this mixture in my coffee (1/8th teaspoon) and find that it works very well for a zero carb alternative. With an additional 7.5 grams soluble fiber per tablespoon...I'm going to try 1 tablespoon of this mixture with a packet of sugar free Black Cherry Kool-Aid...will compare it to 1 Splenda Quick Pack Packet with sugar free Black Cherry Kool-Aid and let you know how it turns out...tomorrow... ;-)

PS: On the label "Clearly Fiber is a sugar free low calorie, all natural fiber product from digestion-resistant Maltodextrin"

PPS: On the label, Splenda no calorie sweetener Quick Pack "Not intended for cooking and baking". You may find Stevia a better choice...it's probably the Sucralose and not the age of your syrups causing your 'bad taste' problem... Hope this helps ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 11-20-2009 at 07:52 PM..
locarbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Oh cool lowcarbman. Thanks. I'll look into that.

And how funny about the "not inteded for baking." Never noticed that, and that's all I used it for! I have to assume it's only bc the the packet is such a small amount that it wouldn't physically compare to a cup of sugar.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I recently used the last of my SQP...I had so many boxes that I thought it would last for years....NOT! So, I just got my first bottle of SweetzFree the other day. $18 for one ounce. That really bothered me. I only used it once and that was to make dressing for coleslaw. So it was 6 drops to equal 1/4 cup. It worked great...think I'm going to like it!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I use the EZ -Sweetz is it the same as the SweetzFree?
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I looked up EZ-Sweetz on Netrition and I see where it is less expensive than SweetzFree...5 oz. for $6.99. It is made from sucralose just like SweetzFree is, but SweetzFree is not available from Netrition. So I'm really glad you mentioned this...next time I'll order from here.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: orthorn
I order my EZ-Sweet from Netrition. I love the stuff, only need a drop or two. I have a bottle in my purse, at home, at work, so I am never without it. I have found it to last and last to the last little drop so I think it is quite economical than using powdered Splenda. I use it in all my baked goods, low carb cooking, and I haven't found it to change anything in the quality of the food.
orthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Actually the price would be about the same if the SweetzFree is $18 for 1 ounce shipped... EZ-Sweetz is $6.99 for 1/2 ounce so 1 ounce would be $18.93 with shipping. That is assuming that the strength is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
I looked up EZ-Sweetz on Netrition and I see where it is less expensive than SweetzFree...5 oz. for $6.99. It is made from sucralose just like SweetzFree is, but SweetzFree is not available from Netrition. So I'm really glad you mentioned this...next time I'll order from here.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #43
Rdm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rdm
Stats: 202150/145
WOE: Moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
Actually the price would be about the same if the SweetzFree is $18 for 1 ounce shipped... EZ-Sweetz is $6.99 for 1/2 ounce so 1 ounce would be $18.93 with shipping. That is assuming that the strength is the same.
The EZ-Sweetz is not as concentrated as the Sweetzfree. I much prefer the Sweetzfree.
Rdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

LOL! If you're really interested in the relative composition, strength and price of the currently available liquid Sucralose products, you may find my Splenda/Sucralose Refractometer Testing Results helpful...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/bl...g-results.html

You may also find this thread interesting...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...enda-best.html

Happy Low Carbing... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 11-21-2009 at 12:53 PM..
Old 11-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbman View Post
LOL! If you're really interested in the relative composition, strength and price of the currently available liquid Sucralose products, you may find my Splenda/Sucralose Refractometer Testing Results helpful...

You may also find this thread interesting...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...enda-best.html

Happy Low Carbing... ;-)
Interesting read....thanks!
Old 11-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

The Clearly Fiber/Sucralose Powder / Kool-Aid experiment ;-)

I prepared a full bottle of Clearly Fiber/Sucralose Powder mixture as follows:

I measured 1 Bottle of Clearly Fiber (Net Wt. 176 grams (5.82oz.)) at 20 Tablespoons. Using my Sucralose Measuring Spoon Chart (Post #142, Page 5 of the above thread), I added 1 and 5/8 teaspoons (~20 cups sugar equivalence) Sucralose powder to the Clearly Fiber and mixed with a whisk in a 4 cup measuring cup for about 2 minutes.

Next, I mixed 1 Tablespoon of the mixture with 1 packet of unsweetened Kool-Aid in 2 quarts of cold water and 1 Splenda Quick Pack pouch with 1 packet of unsweetened Kool-Aid in 2 quarts of cold water…I, honestly, could tell no difference in sweetness…however, cold Black Cherry Kool-Aid has a pretty strong taste… ;-)

My (2) 5.82oz bottles of Clearly Fiber cost $18.09 (with s/h) and 2oz (~1/2 cup) Quick Sweet Pure Sucralose Powder cost $43.10 (with s/h)…my estimated cost for 1 bottle of this mixture is ~$11.75, 1 – 5 pouch box ~$2.94, or ~$0.59 per pouch (Tablespoon)…

Now, what do I do with a gallon of Black Cherry Kool-Aid in winter...lol!

PS: Just re-tasted the Kool-Aid's after warming a while in cups and decided that the Quick Pack version was a bit sweeter...will probably add more Sucralose powder to the Clearly Fiber mixture (~3/8t) for further use... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 11-21-2009 at 03:13 PM..
Old 11-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoniBGoode
Stats: 21 lbs gone forever!
WOE: Almost Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 21, 2008
Quote:
Hi Eve ;-)

If you would really enjoy making your own "Quick Pack" equivalents, you may find post #98, page 4 helpful...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...splenda-4.html

Here is a copy...with some additions... ;-)

Formula #2 - 1 teaspoon Sucralose Powder + 12.5 Tablespoons of FoodScience of Vermont's "Clearly Fiber" (Digestive Resistant Maltodextrin) Powder = 12.5 Tablespoons "LCF Splenda Packet Dry Mix ;-)” where 1/16th teaspoon = 1 teaspoon sugar equivalence, 1/8th teaspoon = 2 teaspoons sugar equivalence (= 1 Splenda Packet) and 1 tablespoon = 48 teaspoons sugar equivalence (= 1 Splenda Quick Pack Packet ;-)

Hope this helps ;-)
Very interesting, lowcarbman. Where do you buy Sucralose Powder?
JoniBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoniBGoode
Stats: 21 lbs gone forever!
WOE: Almost Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 21, 2008
Quote:
Eve, it's probably not the Davinci's, they are supposed to keep a really long time. Splenda gets bitter if you use too much of it. The work around is to combine 2 or 3 sweeteners, like Splenda (or Davinci's) plus a little Erythritol and Stevia. They are sweeter when mixed, and you don't get the aftertaste that you would if you used any one in larger quantities.
JoniBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniBGoode View Post
Very interesting, lowcarbman. Where do you buy Sucralose Powder?
Hi Joni,

I use bobo36us source...from post #57 page 2:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...splenda-2.html

"healthymom................my seller was ahfni2005. It looks like
their 2oz and 4oz containers might be a better value than the
guy selling the 20 gram container."

You will find a link on my BLOG:

Have fun... ;-)

Last edited by locarbman; 11-21-2009 at 06:01 PM..
Old 11-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniBGoode View Post
Eve, it's probably not the Davinci's, they are supposed to keep a really long time. Splenda gets bitter if you use too much of it. The work around is to combine 2 or 3 sweeteners, like Splenda (or Davinci's) plus a little Erythritol and Stevia. They are sweeter when mixed, and you don't get the aftertaste that you would if you used any one in larger quantities.
Well, I've had them for like 4 or 5 years and never use them (I should toss them actually) but this odd flavor I got was very unusual. I doubt it was too much splenda, b/c I tend to make things way less sweet than others, but who knows. I do always add a little stevia but I'm unsure about using ONLY stevia.

I've never used erythritol and i'm considering getting some. I'm between that and the white Diabetisweet. I'm less concerned with taste, more with not stalling/gaining and not eating something horribly unhealthy.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
me too. Still have that in cupboard
Old 11-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I prepared a full bottle of Clearly Fiber/Sucralose Powder mixture as follows:

I measured 1 Bottle of Clearly Fiber (Net Wt. 176 grams (5.82oz.)) at 20 Tablespoons. Using my Sucralose Measuring Spoon Chart (Post #142, Page 5 of the above thread), I added 1 and 5/8 teaspoons (~20 cups sugar equivalence) Sucralose powder to the Clearly Fiber and mixed with a whisk in a 4 cup measuring cup for about 2 minutes.

Next, I mixed 1 Tablespoon of the mixture with 1 packet of unsweetened Kool-Aid in 2 quarts of cold water and 1 Splenda Quick Pack pouch with 1 packet of unsweetened Kool-Aid in 2 quarts of cold water…I, honestly, could tell no difference in sweetness…however, cold Black Cherry Kool-Aid has a pretty strong taste… ;-)

My (2) 5.82oz bottles of Clearly Fiber cost $18.09 (with s/h) and 2oz (~1/2 cup) Quick Sweet Pure Sucralose Powder cost $43.10 (with s/h)…my estimated cost for 1 bottle of this mixture is ~$11.75, 1 – 5 pouch box ~$2.94, or ~$0.59 per pouch (Tablespoon)…

Now, what do I do with a gallon of Black Cherry Kool-Aid in winter...lol!

PS: Just re-tasted the Kool-Aid's after warming a while in cups and decided that the Quick Pack version was a bit sweeter...will probably add more Sucralose powder to the Clearly Fiber mixture (~3/8t) for further use... ;-)
No one told me there'd be math
Old 11-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Fan View Post
No one told me there'd be math

Your ninth grade math teacher did.