Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Erythritol vs. Xylitol

I have never used any sweeteners, except saccharin, aspartame, splenda, and of course, sugar. Of course, I'll not use aspartame or sugar, anymore.

I'd like to try Erythritol and Xylitol, but I know nothing about them. I have tried chewing gum with Xylitol, and I like the taste of it, very much...but, that's the only experience I have with it.

In your opinion:
  • Which one tastes better?
  • Can they both be used for cooking/baking?
  • Do they affect your stomach with cramping/diarrhea?
I do know that I cannot eat whatever it is that they use to sweeten sugar-free chocolate candy. Two pieces of Sugar-Free Chocolate candy are better than a laxative, for me...so, whatever that is, is out of the question.
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Well, I think the answers will be very individual so I'll (as usual) use the caveat - this is what *I* do!

I really like erythritol. It causes me no stomach distress nor cravings. It has some of the same characteristics of "real" sugar - it's hygroscopic (retains moisture in finished products) and it has the same bulking ability as sugar. That being said - there are a couple properties which can be NOT so desirable! It can have a definite "cooling effect" (think - menthol cough drop - makes your mouth feel cool) and it's only 80% as sweet as sugar, measure for measure - so you have to either use MORE, or use another sweetener to "round out" the E. I have both the granular and the powdered (which I made by whirring the granular in my blender, but you can buy it powdered) and I also have packets which are handy to carry in your purse if you like to sweeten your iced tea.

I have xylitol too, but I use it FAR less. What I have (which I believe I bought from Netrition ages ago) is much like powdered sugar in consistency. The stuff I have has an even MORE pronounced "cooling effect" than the E does. And I hear that it is more likely to cause stomach distress, although I've never eaten it in quantities great enough to experience that.

I believe it can also be used in cooking/baking but I've not used it enough to give a good opinion on it for that purpose.

What I usually do is combine the E with something else, either stevia or Splenda quickpacks, which both work fine!

HTH!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
speaking of splenda quickpacks--the manufacturer is stopping their production and I bought 20 boxes today at Big Lots for a buck apiece--stock up while you can
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Just an update: I did some googling on Sugar-Free Reese's Cups, which is one of the worst (as far as diarrhea, for me), and it has MALITOL. Oh...that stuff is EVIL!
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Thought this was an interesting study comparing erythritol and xylitol and their "side-effects."

Quote:
When consumed in water, 35 and 50 g xylitol was associated with significant intestinal symptom scores and watery faeces, compared to the sucrose control, whereas at all levels studied erythritol scored significantly less symptoms.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Thought this was an interesting study comparing erythritol and xylitol and their "side-effects."
I totally agree with this report. It has been my experience with these two sweeteners as described in your post.

gs
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: supr pedro
I have used both E. and X.. I personally prefer X., it tastes more like sugar and even though it does have a cooling effect it is not as pronounced as E. It measures just like sugar too which is nice.
Both may give you some digestion problems, X. seemed to me to be a little worse, at least initially, after several days though my body adjusted and I had no real adverse effects.
Another nice thing about xylitol is that it can help reduce cavities and you can make a nasal solution that will help combat allergies, congestion and even colds.
supr pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle View Post
...n your opinion:
  • Which one tastes better?
  • Can they both be used for cooking/baking?
  • Do they affect your stomach with cramping/diarrhea?
I do know that I cannot eat whatever it is that they use to sweeten sugar-free chocolate candy. Two pieces of Sugar-Free Chocolate candy are better than a laxative, for me...so, whatever that is, is out of the question.
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Hi Melle...
We prefer E over X.

Not any discernable difference in 'taste' to me. Erythritol is granular just like sugar, and I prefer that for certain foods (like dipping strawberries and eating them or sprinkling it on cut berries).

Erythritol is less 'sweet' than sugar, so we often use Splenda to pick up the lacking bit of sweetening.
[/COLOR]
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
No question

It's Erythritol hands down.

Practically zero calories and zero carbs, not to mention lack of gastric distress.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote