Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
I can't thank Melle enough for starting this thread. I've made this cake several times. I'm going to make it again for Father's Day, just can't decide which version to do Thanks everyone, for all the variations that make it difficult to choose from They all sound so delicious.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #182
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
How do you guys think rhubarb would work in this?

I have made the version that was posted using yogurt (I used yocheese) and it is really good---will be fantastic with strawberries and whipped cream!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Teresa, if you do try it with rhubarb, please post the resuls and the final recipe. I would be very interested in trying a rhubarb version.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #184
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
We just ate the lemon cake for dessert - I made an icing with softened cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, the leftover bit of pureed lemon (maybe 1/3 of a cup) and sweetener to taste. I split the cake horizontally and filled it with the icing and of course on the top.

That is the BEST cake EVAH! I kid you not. Everyone loves it and my stepmother says, "Boy that cake is GOOD! I suppose you made it with all that weird stuff....?" LOL!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Hey Char, a couple questions if you don't mind. Did you use erythritol in the cake batter, and do you beat the cream cheese WITH the heavy cream for the frosting? TIA. Going to try this again in a bundt pan like you use so it's nice and photogenic.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #186
Gadget Gal

Hi Lauren!

Yes, I used erythritol, the regular granulated kind, not powdered.

We love it because it recrystallizes ever so slightly on the crust when the cake is cooled and gives it this tiny little "crunch" factor!

For the frosting, I nuke about 6 oz. of cream cheese til softened, then beat it with a handheld electric mixer til it's well-blended, then I start pouring heavy cream into it and mixing a bit at a time. I probably used a cup total. I also love to put in some of the lemon puree, it really sets up a great flavor combo with the cake!

Oh, and be sure you BUTTER the bundt pan really well - I just melt 2 tablespoons in a little cup and then brush it on, let it set, brush some more on. I get it in every little nook and cranny! So far so good with cakes not sticking as long as I have it plenty buttered up.

HTH!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 06-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the tips, Char! They totally helped. I ended up using a cream cheese icing recipe and just messing around with amounts of stevia and erythritol.

Made some all natural creamsicle cupcakes today by adding a couple of teaspoons of vanilla and some crease cheese icing. These are too good! I'm surprised at how well the stevia works in some recipes and not others. They are almost too sweet, but definitely not bitter. NuNaturals is awesome stuff if y'all haven't tried this brand yet. Can't say enough good things about it.

More photos at my blog.

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 06-20-2008 at 02:50 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #188
Gadget Gal

Cupcakes - great idea! Is that with the original recipe?
Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah! Just added 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and used one orange per half recipe. Also added some sea salt and used stevia as the high intensity sweetener.

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 06-20-2008 at 03:06 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #190
Gadget Gal

Boy I'm gonna do that! How long did you bake? Regular pan or silicone? Details, woman, I needs DETAILS! ;-)
Old 06-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Haha, okay. I used buttered silicone muffin cups filled almost all the way up. Baked them at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. I also filled a mini bundt (buttered really well) 1/4 full of batter and pulled it out at 43 minutes, but it was really brown on the top (bottom?). I'd say 40 minutes is about right. They are perfectly moist on the inside and perhaps a bit too sweet for my low carb trained palate with the 1/4 teaspoon of pure stevia extract per half recipe. Next time I'll try 1/4 teaspoon per full recipe. The icing tones down the citrus flavor nicely.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #192
Gadget Gal

Thank you m'dear!

One last ?? and then I'll quit pestering you - how many muffins did you get? Do you think a half batch, if making ALL muffins and no mini bundt, would fill 12 cups? More?

Gonna do this during the weekend if it cools down - it's 80* in the house right now (I live at the coast and nobody has AC, it's almost 90* outside! UGH!) so no baking til the fog rolls back in though!
Old 06-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Thank you m'dear!

One last ?? and then I'll quit pestering you - how many muffins did you get? Do you think a half batch, if making ALL muffins and no mini bundt, would fill 12 cups? More?

Gonna do this during the weekend if it cools down - it's 80* in the house right now (I live at the coast and nobody has AC, it's almost 90* outside! UGH!) so no baking til the fog rolls back in though!
With 1/2 recipe, I got 6 cupcakes and a teensy bundt cake, which would yield about 4 cupcakes, eyeballing it. So 1/2 recipe made 10 cupcakes. Happy baking!
Old 06-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #194
Gadget Gal

You're a doll, Lauren, thanks so much!
Old 06-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Made me subscribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Thanks for the tips, Char! They totally helped. I ended up using a cream cheese icing recipe and just messing around with amounts of stevia and erythritol.

Made some all natural creamsicle cupcakes today by adding a couple of teaspoons of vanilla and some crease cheese icing. These are too good! I'm surprised at how well the stevia works in some recipes and not others. They are almost too sweet, but definitely not bitter. NuNaturals is awesome stuff if y'all haven't tried this brand yet. Can't say enough good things about it.

More photos at my blog.

jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
I made the sour cream version (no orange or lemon puree) of this cake a couple of weeks ago. I used a lot of vanilla for flavoring plus some "princess cake" flavoring. Still had to add extra dry ingredients (Kevin's flour blend and some oat fiber) or batter would have been way too loose. Baked it in two greased loaf pans. Cakes did not rise much, but they did not fall either. Excellent flavor and good texture. DH loved it - better than the orange/lemon cake, but he is a vanilla freak. With a fluffy white frosting, this resembles a moist yellow cake.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laura in Arizona
WOE: Paleo/Protein Power
Start Date: June 6 2008
Subscribing - awesome recipes guys...
Laura in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #198
Big Yapper!!!!

I also tried the sour cream version with a little vanilla protein powder (about a scoop for 1/2 recipe) and some carbquick (about 1/3 cup) and baked as cupcakes. These were perfect for strawberry shortcake.

Also used the same as above and added a cup of cooked rhubarb (1/2 recipe again) and then made a struesal topping for a delicious rhubarb coffee cake!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #199
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhambabe View Post
Classic Almond Flour Pound Cake

Ingredients:
· 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened at room temperature
· 1/2 cup full fat cream cheese
· 1 cup Splenda
· 5 large eggs, at room temperature
· 2 cups almond flour
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon lemon extract
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream butter, cream cheese and Splenda together, mixing well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. In a separate bowl, mix almond flour with baking powder. Add egg/butter mixture to flour a little at a time while beating. Add lemon and vanilla extracts.

Pour into greased 9"-10" Springform pan, bundt pan, ring pan, (or 9" round cake pan) and bake at 350°F for 50-55 minutes.

You can change flavors for this cake by using different extract flavors and even food color if you like!

I also tweaked the recipe a bit I use 8 eggs a bit more cream cheese and a rounded teas of baking power instead of level and more vanilla and more lemon. You could use orange or banana what ever your fancy .
I made this tonight and substitued flax meal instead of almond flour. I baked it in a 9" round pan and my daughter and I really enjoyed it. Was sort of like a bran muffin. I spread mine with butter but my dd, 13, liked hers plain.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:46 AM   #200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Teresa, could you post your recipe for the rhubarb coffee cake?
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
Start Date: 5/1/2003
RhubaRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I made the cake yesterday with 1 1/4 cup pureed rhubarb in place of lemon/orange. Baked in mini bundt pans. They are beautiful and taste ok, but definately need a flavor boost that streusel topping would give.
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #202
Gadget Gal

I'm missing this cake SO much I decided to make another but didn't want to wait the 2 hours for the lemons - so - decided to do as some of you have done before me and nuke the little suckers!

I put 3 largish, freshly-picked Meyer lemons (well-washed) into a Pyrex microwave-safe container with a lid, filled up to about halfway with filtered water, slapped on the lid and nuked on High 5 minutes - turned the lemons over and nuked 5 more minutes; let stand, covered, on the counter 5 MORE minutes. They have the exact same "texture" (IOW - mushy!) as they do boiled or pressure-cooked. I just put them in the fridge to cool and will make the cake a little later on today. Will let you know if I detect any kind of difference, because if NOT - I WILL be doing it this way from now on!
Old 06-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #203
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Sure! However, I don't do a lot of measuring when I experiment so this is just a rough estimation:

This is for 1/2 recipe--I made in an 8x8 casserole dish

1/2 c almond meal
1/3 c Carbquick
about 3/4 scoop of vanilla protein powder
1/2 c erythritol and diabetesweet combined
3/4 t baking powder
3 eggs
1/3 to 1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup cooked rhubarb
1T cinnamon
(for the rhubarb I cooked down 1 pound package of frozen rhubarb with 1 splenda quick pack--1 cup equiv of sugar--then used about 1/2 of it which I think was about 1 cup)

Mixed all dry together, then added wet (except rhubarb) and blended well. Then added rhubarb, put in pan and crumbled topping on top. Baked 350 for I think 25-30 minutes.

For the topping I really am not sure about measurements--maybe 2-3 T of butter melted, tons of cinnamon, a couple T of erythritol and diabetesweet combined and then enough almond meal to make it "crumbly"--maybe 1/3 to 1/2 cup. I think that hazelnut meal would be even better with this but I didn't have any so I'll have to try that another time.

It is great by itself but for some reason I love it topped with a little plain yocheese. This has become my favorite breakfast!

Enjoy!

Last edited by Teresa123; 06-24-2008 at 06:12 PM..
Old 06-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #204
Big Yapper!!!!

So, has anyone tried this with sugar free canned apples or pumpkin? I think making the apple into a coffee cake would be really good!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Sure! However, I don't do a lot of measuring when I experiment so this is just a rough estimation:

This is for 1/2 recipe--I made in an 8x8 casserole dish

1/2 c almond meal
1/3 c Carbquick
about 3/4 scoop of vanilla protein powder
1/2 c erythritol and diabetesweet combined
3/4 t baking powder
3 eggs
1/3 to 1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup cooked rhubarb
1T cinnamon
(for the rhubarb I cooked down 1 pound package of frozen rhubarb with 1 splenda quick pack--1 cup equiv of sugar--then used about 1/2 of it which I think was about 1 cup)

Mixed all dry together, then added wet (except rhubarb) and blended well. Then added rhubarb, put in pan and crumbled topping on top. Baked 350 for I think 25-30 minutes.

For the topping I really am not sure about measurements--maybe 2-3 T of butter melted, tons of cinnamon, a couple T of erythritol and diabetesweet combined and then enough almond meal to make it "crumbly"--maybe 1/3 to 1/2 cup. I think that hazelnut meal would be even better with this but I didn't have any so I'll have to try that another time.

It is great by itself but for some reason I love it topped with a little plain yocheese. This has become my favorite breakfast!

Enjoy!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sure would love to know the carbs and cals on that breakfast...!

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #206
Gadget Gal

I've got this yummy cake in the oven again - made this time with one orange and one large Meyer lemon. Will post results.

DH and I both LOVE this cake and are sad when we don't have a small slice for dessert! My stepson was here from Denver for a couple weeks and he polished off the last one, so time for a new one today. Can't wait to tuck into a piece later on!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erin.bo.berin
Start Date: 6/4/08
OMG, I can't wait to try this!!
erin.bo.berin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
I can't thank Melle enough for starting this thread. I've made this cake several times. I'm going to make it again for Father's Day, just can't decide which version to do Thanks everyone, for all the variations that make it difficult to choose from They all sound so delicious.
Well, I have been Missing in Action for awhile, due to the demands of a new job. But, I was THRILLED to see that this thread is still active. Now, I've got to read through, and find all of the tweaks everyone's using. ENJOY!
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #209
Gadget Gal

Hi Melle!! Nice to "see" you back!

Now don't you go leavin' us again, y'hear?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Hi Melle!! Nice to "see" you back!

Now don't you go leavin' us again, y'hear?
I won't! At my new job, I am the Manager of the Espresso Cafe inside of a new book store, that just opened 6-weeks ago. First we had to stock the entire store with books. The first day, 4 semi-trailers full of books arrived, and two days later we got two more. Then, I had to stock my cafe and learn how to do everything. It's been almost two months of long, physical work, and I have been pooped when I get home. Now, everything is starting to fall into place, so I can breathe and relax, again.

Last edited by Sugar Free Sweet Pea; 09-21-2008 at 11:00 PM..
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote