Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Best ever Roast beef (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/552238-best-ever-roast-beef.html)

chewiegand 04-21-2008 07:07 AM

Best ever Roast beef

I never really liked roast beef before but my husband and I found a perfect way to cook it and we've done this way with all different cuts of beef, from small 3 pound eye of rounds(very lean) to a 9.5 pound sirloin roast and it always comes out perfect. Just season the meat real well with whatever spices you like, let the meat come to room temperature for at least an hour or so. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Then put the roast in a shallow pan, turn down the oven to 475 and roast for 5 minutes per pound. Turn off the oven. DO NOT OPEN. Let the roast stay in the oven for 2-3 hours and then reheat and serve. It comes out perfectly medium rare and delicious every time. I use the leftovers for my son's lunch sandwiches during the week--beats paying $8 a pound for processed rb lunch meat.

NGJ26 04-21-2008 08:54 AM

Excellent thanks for the cooking tip !

Stacy O 04-21-2008 09:59 AM

Do you by chance have any suggestions to get it to medium? My family prefers "light pink" versus medium rare. Maybe an additional minute or 2 per pound??

Dixie Barkley 04-21-2008 10:12 AM

How long to you reheat? Do you turn the oven back on or do you reheat by a different method?

CarolynF 04-21-2008 11:02 AM

I love eye of the round..This sounds like a great way to cook it. I love using my Ron Rotisserie, too..;)

magnamater 04-22-2008 03:41 AM

How do you reheat the roast beef? I do love roast beef. Thinking of doing this ASAP!!

TXLoser 04-22-2008 05:55 AM

What do you seaon the beef with?

TIA

chewiegand 04-22-2008 08:03 AM

I season the beef with a salt, pepper, hot pepper, cumin and garlic mixture. I reheat it in the same oven for about 20 minutes at 350. For pink roast, more done, I would just add more 2 minutes per pound. You can always cook more but can't take it away if overcooked. It really is the best way to cook any roast beef I've ever tried.

rowdy1 04-22-2008 04:49 PM

Hey thanks...I happen to have a roast I'm making on Saturday. Woot!!

YoYo Girl 04-22-2008 05:55 PM

This is how I always do my Prime Rib Roasts, perfect everytime.

rowdy1 04-26-2008 03:06 PM

I made my chuck roast today per chewiegand's directions. It is FANTASTIC!! Our 8 year old doesn't like really pink meat, so, I cooked it an additional 2 minutes per pound at the beginning.....yummo!

My DH could not stop raving about how good this was. He said it tasted just like prime rib.

Not too bad for a $1.99 per pound chuck roast...:D

BTW, the roast was about 3.5 pounds before cooking.

Jean@125 04-26-2008 03:18 PM

I wonder what I did wrong. I did a 3 pound eye of round and it did not come out very tender. I realize this is a leaner cut but I think next time I'll go for a fattier cut.

rowdy1 04-26-2008 03:22 PM

I do have a question like Jean. If you use a leaner cut, should you cover the meat with foil while baking? Or cover it after the initial high heat cooking?

Seems like the leaner the cut, the tougher it would be due to the open exposure of the oven and moisture evaporation.

Just curious.

chewiegand 04-29-2008 08:06 AM

I do eye of round all the time and just use this recipe like posted. I don't know why yours came out dry. A real important thing to note is NOT TO OPEN THE DOOR while it's just sitting in the oven. I think the juices go back into the meat at that point. I have never had a dry roast with this recipe and won't make roast any other way--we just love it. I just made my boys their lunch sandwiches with thin sliced rb today that I freeze in wax paper in portions for them. :)

CopperAnnette 04-29-2008 02:26 PM

I tried this on Sunday morning with bottom round roast. OMG!! It is wonderful! Thank you SO much for the recipe (or whatever you want to call it). Bob usually isn't a fan of cheap cuts of beef (he wrinkles his nose and calls it "stew meat"), but he really enjoyed it this time.

chewiegand 04-30-2008 06:16 AM

I'm so glad it worked for you. It is so easy yet not many people know about cooking rb this way. :) We have rb much more often now just because of this method of cooking.

rowdy1 05-01-2008 09:23 AM

chewie...I know I will have rb more often! What a keeper!

TXLoser 05-01-2008 09:37 AM

I have tried this and it was GREAT..thank you:notwrthy:

Will this method work for pork or will it dry out?

chewiegand 05-01-2008 11:35 AM

I haven't tried it with pork yet but I'm thinking it would work and also lamb. I just love leg of lamb and dh just bought 4 boneless legs at Sam's on clearance today. WOOHOO!!! I know what he's cooking me for mother's day! That plus his bbq shrimp--yummo.

gallard 05-01-2008 12:35 PM

I am very interested in this method of cooking roast beef.

But should I cover the pan with a lid during the initial cooking phase at 475 degrees. If so or not, should I use the lid when I turn off the oven and keep the roast in the oven for a couple of hours.

chewiegand 05-01-2008 12:49 PM

No cover, not during or after. Also, note that you don't want to open the oven at all at the end of cooking--that's when the meat finishes cooking and the juices go back into the meat to make it juicy(I think).

gallard 05-01-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewiegand (Post 10262233)
No cover, not during or after. Also, note that you don't want to open the oven at all at the end of cooking--that's when the meat finishes cooking and the juices go back into the meat to make it juicy(I think).

Thank you very much.

Motts Landing 05-03-2008 09:40 AM

here's hoping to a fast response cos my roast is sitting out and almost ready to go in the oven.

Do you add ANY liquid (water/broth etc) to your pan while roasting?

TIA
Julie

Do you add veggies in your pot as well?

rowdy1 05-04-2008 05:21 AM

When I did my roast...I followed the directions, no extra liquids. I think veggies would dry out and not get cooked properly. But, dunno that would be for da cookin' experts! :hyst:

Motts Landing 05-04-2008 05:35 AM

hey thanks for the reply but too late now...I cooked my pot roast yesterday (it was 3 3/4 lb. chuck underblade roast). DH always wants cooked veggies in it like potatoes & carrots:annoyed: so I just plopped them in with the raw meat & followed the 5 min per pound instructions & never opened the door. At the end... veggies were almost cooked (needed another 20 minutes with heat or so) but they were pretty dry like you said. Meat was sooooo pink I thot I heard a moo moo once or twice:rofl: with lots of blood still (not just pink juices). So I had to reheat the oven & put it in for an additional 45 minutes (added some water for the veggies also). Meat was so tough...like shoe leather unfortunately.:eek: I would like to try this method again but add in the extra 2 or 3 minutes per pound & maybe try a different cut of beef. You know... sometimes the cow is just plain ole tough to start with unfortunately so it is hard to say whether it was the cut of meat or the method, but I am willing to try again:)

CopperAnnette 05-04-2008 06:57 AM

7 minutes per pound came out pretty pink, but not mooing. If you want medium, I'd do 8. I don't know how long you could push it before it becomes tough. I did 7, and we loved it! I would def call it medium-rare, though.

rowdy1 05-04-2008 05:52 PM

motts...I'm sorry your roast didn't work out. I mentioned above that I did cook mine like 7 or 8 minutes per pound also...'cause we don't like the cow to moo back to us...LOL! I just used a cheapo chuck roast for mine. Try, try again as they say!

gallard 05-04-2008 09:01 PM

Today, I used this method for cooking a 4.17 pound eye of the round. It was great. But I did cook it a bit more longer. I cooked it at 8 minutes per pound.

This is the method I will use from now on in making roast beef.

Thank you.

CopperAnnette 05-10-2008 10:05 AM

I did a chuck roast this morning....8 minutes per pound, left in the oven for three hours. It is AMAZING. Absolutely, perfectly medium. This is THE best cooking method I've used. Thank you again!

Dixie Barkley 05-10-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperAnnette (Post 10299403)
I did a chuck roast this morning....8 minutes per pound, left in the oven for three hours. It is AMAZING. Absolutely, perfectly medium. This is THE best cooking method I've used. Thank you again!

What did you do at the end of the three hours? Did you cook it a while longer and, if so, for how long and at what temperature? I have yet to try this method but I will next week and just wanted to get all the input I could.