Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cheesebread Rounds - takeoff on NancyElle's crispy pizza crust - with pics! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/552023-cheesebread-rounds-takeoff-nancyelles-crispy-pizza-crust-pics.html)

Charski 04-19-2008 01:36 PM

Cheesebread Rounds - takeoff on NancyElle's crispy pizza crust - with pics!

4 Attachment(s)
DH and I really loved NancyElle's crispy pizza crust. I got to thinking about it and figured, why not make a BREAD out of it? So this is the result!

Cheesy Bread Rounds

3 extra-large or jumbo eggs
1 scoop Designer Whey unflavored protein powder
1 tablespoon raw wheat bran
1 tablespoon flax meal
6 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
6 oz. shredded Mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375* - lightly grease nonstick muffin top pans to make 12 rounds.

In a blender or food processor, place ingredients in order listed. Process til smooth. (I used my VitaMix but will probably try the food processor next time - easier to get the stuff out! ;) )

Portion equally into muffin top pans. An ice cream scooper makes this very easy. I used one that holds just under 1/4 cup. Smooth evenly into cups.

Bake at 375* approx. 10 minutes, or til just starting to brown on top. They will puff a bit and then flatten again with cooling.

Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely. Store in a ziploc in the fridge.

EASY, fast, delicious! I figured these to be about 1 carb each but may vary with the protein powder you use. Fiber is a trace.

Thanks, NancyElle, for that wonderful pizza dough recipe! :cool:

Oh, the pic on the rack is half bottom up, half topside up!

jigglenomore 04-19-2008 03:06 PM

Ohhhhh, Charski! Those look beautiful!!! And so easy, too! Thanks for sharing this with us! :clap: What's the texture like, if I might ask?

NancyElle 04-19-2008 03:08 PM

WOW! Great JOB!!!!!!!!!:clap::high5:

Charski 04-19-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglenomore (Post 10209871)
Ohhhhh, Charski! Those look beautiful!!! And so easy, too! Thanks for sharing this with us! :clap: What's the texture like, if I might ask?

It's "bread-like" - not as airy as the Ooopsie rolls (which I also made more bread-like with the additions I included in this recipe!) and it doesn't come off on your fingers like the top of an Ooopsie roll will fresh out of the fridge. They're fairly firm, unless you reheat them in the nuker, which DH found out! :laugh: He wanted one with butter on top to try it out - it got too soft to pick up. But it will firm right back up as it cools.

Charski 04-19-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyElle (Post 10209876)
WOW! Great JOB!!!!!!!!!:clap::high5:

THANKS!! I bow to your original recipe! :notwrthy:

Nigel 04-19-2008 03:36 PM

Those look great!! Thanks for the recipe. :clap:

jenna... 04-19-2008 06:00 PM

Those look FANTASTIC!!! Good Job :cool:

Barbo 04-20-2008 03:12 PM

Char

YUMMO Will be making these soon. Just about out of oopsies

Tecnokitty 04-20-2008 05:10 PM

wow, they look great! I wish I had some wheat bran but I don't and just did our shopping trips today. Will have to try and remember to get some next Sunday.

metqa 04-21-2008 02:43 PM

This recipe makes 12? I only have one muffin top pan so I might half it. I guess I would just use one egg then?

Nigel 04-21-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 10217769)
This recipe makes 12? I only have one muffin top pan so I might half it. I guess I would just use one egg then?

I'd say use 1 egg and 1 egg yolk.

Charski 04-21-2008 03:37 PM

Or they cook quickly, so make the full batch, bake half, then bake the other half after - there isn't any baking powder that will lose its "oomph" so letting the "batter" rest while the first batch bakes shouldn't have any ill effects!

Otherwise I'd do what Nigel suggests for half a batch though.

metqa 04-21-2008 07:04 PM

thanks Nigel and Charski, I think I will make the full batch as I have no idea what I'd do with the extra white, and don't want to throw it out.

Nigel 04-21-2008 11:56 PM

I would make a full batch just cause they look so darn good in the pics. LOL
You can always use an extra egg yolk or egg white in scrambled eggs or any type of quiche or frittata.
I hope you can post pics of the ones you make. I wish I had more time this week, but hopefully next week, I'll be able to try them out. So many goodies, so little time. *grin*

lisabinil 04-22-2008 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 10218860)
thanks Nigel and Charski, I think I will make the full batch as I have no idea what I'd do with the extra white, and don't want to throw it out.

Freeze it for when you have a need for it. Many use ice cube trays to freeze them in a convenient shape. :)

theislandgirl 04-22-2008 09:30 PM

Or, since the original recipe uses extra large/jumbo eggs, just use 2 medium eggs (if you use them) for half the recipe.

:hiya:

metqa 04-23-2008 12:55 PM

I can't cook today, but I will post pics as soon as I can. Thanks for the suggs for the extra white. Ive never made a fritta or frozen eggs before. You all are giving me lots of fun ideas!

lcmiller461 04-23-2008 07:24 PM

I really want to try these...but how much is one scoop of protein powder? My scoop looks to be about 1/3 cup...is that the same for everyone else?

theislandgirl 04-23-2008 10:24 PM

Each scoop has its volume size printed in tiny little letters (and the words National Measures) on the underside of the cup part (at least all mine have). I've had them in sizes ranging from 50cc, 60cc and 70cc (cc=cubic centimeter or the volume of water in a milliliter; remember there are ~15ml in a Tbsp). I saved one of each for my kitchen drawer ;)

My spiffy little desktop converter says:
50cc ~= 3.5 Tbsp (easier to understand than .21 of a Cup ;) )
60cc ~= 4.0 Tbsp (~ 0.25 or 1/4 C)
70cc ~= 4.75 Tbsp (close enough to 4 Tbsp + 2 Tsp or 0.3 Cup, a little short)

The one that I have recycled the most of? The middle one, at 60cc or about 1/4 C.

Hope that helps.

:hiya:

Charski 04-24-2008 08:47 AM

Wow, Jude, that's cool conversion info! Thanks!!

And to add to it - my container of Designer Whey says 1 scoop = 24 grams by weight - and you're right - if I hold the cup JUST SO I can see that inside it says "70 cc" - so now I'm gonna run to the kitchen and see what it equates to if I dump it into a dry measure - BRB....

And yeppers again - it measures to a scant 1/3 cup! So that's what I'd use in a different product.

Mada 04-24-2008 12:25 PM

Is there anything I can sub for the whey protein powder? I only have vanilla flavored and I don't really want to buy another can of pp...

I have soy protein isolate - would that work?

Indigo-65 04-24-2008 01:16 PM

These look great I must try them!

Soobee 04-24-2008 01:24 PM

I think soy protein would work. Try it and see.

Charski 04-24-2008 02:11 PM

I've only made them with what I posted so have no idea what substitutions will or will not work - but I always go by the old "try it and see!" solution which is how I come up with most of my good stuff anyway! ;)

Personally I don't think the vanilla-flavored whey would impart anything bad to the "breads" - since I didn't add any competing flavors (like onion or garlic powders - although you certainly COULD use those for a more savory result) intentionally so that I could use these for stuff like PB & (SF)J or whatever - I don't use soy products so I would probably just go ahead with the vanilla whey if I found myself without the unflavored - that's just me though!

Tecnokitty 04-25-2008 09:39 AM

I always have large eggs instead of XL. I just stuck them in the oven. I used soy protein powder cause that is what I have in the house. I prob should have added an extra egg to make up for using large instead of XL but didn't think about it till just now. Do you think 4 large eggs is equal to 3 XL? I'm looking forward to trying these. Is the pizza recipe the same? I've never seen it.

Charski 04-25-2008 10:32 AM

T.Kitty, this is the link to the original post:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-included.html

Nancy just used "3 eggs" so you're probably fine with the large ones. I posted XL or jumbo because that's what I always buy and use! ;)

I imagine your soy protein will be just fine too. I don't eat soy products any more so switched to whey.

Let us know how they come out!

Tecnokitty 04-25-2008 10:43 AM

Thanks Charski! During my first batch my power went out so I think I baked them a little too long. I only have one muffin top pan so had to do in 2 batches which is good cause the second batch, without the power outage) is PERFECT! Even the 1st batch is good. Although, I only got 8 instead of 12 out of my batch. Maybe cause of the smaller eggs? I made myself a PB & homemade SF srawberry jam sammy with these and WOW! I am excited to use these as burger buns as they are much better then all of the other "bread" type recipes I have tried! Thanks Charski!!!!!!

Mada 04-25-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 10232505)
I've only made them with what I posted so have no idea what substitutions will or will not work - but I always go by the old "try it and see!" solution which is how I come up with most of my good stuff anyway! ;)

Personally I don't think the vanilla-flavored whey would impart anything bad to the "breads" - since I didn't add any competing flavors (like onion or garlic powders - although you certainly COULD use those for a more savory result) intentionally so that I could use these for stuff like PB & (SF)J or whatever - I don't use soy products so I would probably just go ahead with the vanilla whey if I found myself without the unflavored - that's just me though!

I'll try some experimenting this weekend. I also have milk & egg protein, so may try that too, and I'll update on my results after I do. Thanks!

fashay 04-25-2008 09:48 PM

Can wheat bran be bought out of a grocery store?

rowdy1 04-26-2008 03:41 PM

Hey Char....gotta calorie count on these great puppies you developed? I just was at our local health food store last week and got some wheat bran but, I don't have the muffin top pans....:(

I just have the Designer Whey vanilla powder and I think you can most definately offset the flavor by adding some savory spices. I've done it with some oopsies that Char has tweaked with the unflavored powder. They were fine. But that's just my opinion. Our taste buds are all certainly different.