Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
OK. We made the crust, exactly as you specified, except we substituted dried Cilantro for the Basil, since it's Mexican (not Italian).

It's in the oven, now. I've cooked ground beef in a skillet, and added a package of Taco Seasoning, and it's simmering. I decided on Ortega Taco Sauce, as the "pizza sauce". It's about 28 carbs FOR THE ENTIRE BOTTLE, and we'll use about half of that...so, it'll be around 14 carbs for the whole pizza sauce.

After the crust comes out of the oven, we'll spread on the Taco Sauce and the taco meat and top with shredded cheddar cheese, and cook again, until it's bubbly. I have a gas oven, and the broiler is on the bottom, and it's a pain in the butt to use, so last time I just put it back in the oven on 450, until it was bubbly...it worked well, that way.

Then, after it comes out of the oven, we'll top it with chopped tomatoes, chopped red onions, shredded lettuce, and probably a little more shredded cheddar cheese. And, of course we'll add Picante Sauce and Sour Cream (I forgot the guacamole, even though it was on my list).

So there you have it...TACOS ON THE HALF SHELL. I can't imagine it not being fabulous, but I'll let you know, in about an hour.

Last edited by Sugar Free Sweet Pea; 05-19-2008 at 08:36 PM..
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

I put it back in the oven, for about 5-minutes (with the taco meat and cheese and taco sauce), and the cheese melted, beautifully. I decided to let it cool for a few minutes, so it will firm-up. It is beautiful, even without all of the lettuce and tomatoes and stuff, on the top. We'll definitely have to eat it with a fork, but that's the way we like it.

SIDE NOTE: Has anyone else noticed that packaged foods taste saltier, since they started low-carb? I always keep about ten packages of taco seasoning in the cabinet, because I love it. But, it tastes very salty, this time. I did not salt the meat, or anything. I fried some spam, today and noticed it tasted very salty.

DH said Alton Brown has a very good recipe for making your own taco seasoning, on his website. I'll look it up and post it. I'd rather make my own, than to use frankenfoods, anyway. See there? I've been paying attention!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Well, this is most certainly "a keeper". I'm sure this will be a weekly dinner. DH loved it, as much as I did. I'll just keep calling it "Tacos on the Half Shell"...that way, I won't be having Pizza, twice a week. I can have pizza one night and tacos another night.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyElle
Stats: Fit 5'9 ~ Exercise is the Fountain of Youth~
WOE: Low Carb/Working Out~Power walking~Running
Start Date: everyday~all the time~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle View Post
Well, this is most certainly "a keeper". I'm sure this will be a weekly dinner. DH loved it, as much as I did. I'll just keep calling it "Tacos on the Half Shell"...that way, I won't be having Pizza, twice a week. I can have pizza one night and tacos another night.

YAY! Your "tacos" sounded uber good, my dear!
NancyElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gnossienne
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2008
I'm sitting here eating my first piece of pizza using this crust recipe. I love cheese, but let's just say I "made peace" with the idea that the crust was going to taste eggy.

IT DID NOT.

Once finished, I couldn't tell the difference! I can't believe it!

I tweaked the recipe myself, using 3 different cheeses:
Swiss (or emmantaler)
Havarti
Fresh Mozzerella

The Swiss and Havarti were completely carb free, and I chose the Swiss for its firmness and not-so-salty flavour. Same for the havarti and mozerella. The mozerella "ball" I used had a total of one carb. So - 1 carb for the entire crust!

For the sauce I used Walden Farms Ketchup, with about 4 cooked-down cherry tomatoes which I cut a slit in and squeezed the seeds and juice from. I pureed all that with some olive oil, sea salt, dash of dried basil, and a clove of garlic. I simmered it down and there was just enough to lightly cover the crust. Bacon and some shredded cheddar on top - and voila! So amazingly good!

And now for an important question:

Has anyone tried freezing a finished crust? I'd love to be able to cut the recipe and make some single-serving sized crusts and then freeze them. I can't imagine there'd be any problem but I'm wondering if anyone has tried that yet?

I love. Love. Love. this recipe!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnossienne View Post

And now for an important question:

Has anyone tried freezing a finished crust? I'd love to be able to cut the recipe and make some single-serving sized crusts and then freeze them. I can't imagine there'd be any problem but I'm wondering if anyone has tried that yet?

I love. Love. Love. this recipe!
What a great idea! I'll call my chef hubby, and ask him about this. Believe me, if anything can be frozen, he'll know it.

OK...I called him. He said as far as it being "safe", there would be no problem. He said the only problem is that eggs and cheese have a tendancy to "weep", when they're frozen, and then thawed. Were you planning on baking it, before freezing? I think that's what I'd do. I may have to try it, and experiment. That would be SOOOOO handy, to just thaw-out a crust.

Last edited by Sugar Free Sweet Pea; 05-21-2008 at 10:07 AM..
Old 05-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What a great idea! I'll call my chef hubby, and ask him about this. Believe me, if anything can be frozen, he'll know it.

OK...I called him. He said as far as it being "safe", there would be no problem. He said the only problem is that eggs and cheese have a tendancy to "weep", when they're frozen, and then thawed. Were you planning on baking it, before freezing? I think that's what I'd do. I may have to try it, and experiment. That would be SOOOOO handy, to just thaw-out a crust.
Oh, what a luxury to have a chef hubby. Know where I can get one?

And yes, they'd be baked. I can't fathom how they'd freeze when they're raw because they're sorta goopy! I was thinking about making baked mini crusts and freezing them individually. I work a very hard job on my feet all day (full-time cardio!) and just love the idea of pulling out a pizza crust to thaw and not having anything more to think about than sprinkling with cheese and dealing out some pepperoni slices on top. I think just the crust itself sliced in wedges would be great to eat alongside a salad! Oooh, if I baked in a square pan and cut them into fingers, it'd be like bread-stick dippers from Pizza Hut.
Gnossienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, what a luxury to have a chef hubby. Know where I can get one?

And yes, they'd be baked. I can't fathom how they'd freeze when they're raw because they're sorta goopy! I was thinking about making baked mini crusts and freezing them individually. I work a very hard job on my feet all day (full-time cardio!) and just love the idea of pulling out a pizza crust to thaw and not having anything more to think about than sprinkling with cheese and dealing out some pepperoni slices on top. I think just the crust itself sliced in wedges would be great to eat alongside a salad! Oooh, if I baked in a square pan and cut them into fingers, it'd be like bread-stick dippers from Pizza Hut.
Just go hang around the back door of a restaurant kitchen...you'll find lots of chefs...many of them single, because they work horrendous hours.

I'll try this, if you will...we'll get it figured out, one way or another. You work a very hard job, on your feet all day...you aren't a restaurant server, are you?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just go hang around the back door of a restaurant kitchen...you'll find lots of chefs...many of them single, because they work horrendous hours.

I'll try this, if you will...we'll get it figured out, one way or another. You work a very hard job, on your feet all day...you aren't a restaurant server, are you?
Thanks for the tip!

And no, not a server. When I learned that I had PCOS and that losing weight was the only thing that could make it better, I quit my job and decided to find a full-time job working out. The easiest thing to get was a cleaning job, and it keeps me in a constant sheen of sweat for most of the day (8 to 10 hours sometimes! ) Now I don't need to come up with any excuses to work out, I just show up and start working and my motivation is the paycheck. Can't be lazy when you've got bills to pay! $25 an hour after taxes is not so bad for a menial job. And, I really enjoy it! I plan to keep it up as long as I can.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip!

And no, not a server. When I learned that I had PCOS and that losing weight was the only thing that could make it better, I quit my job and decided to find a full-time job working out. The easiest thing to get was a cleaning job, and it keeps me in a constant sheen of sweat for most of the day (8 to 10 hours sometimes! ) Now I don't need to come up with any excuses to work out, I just show up and start working and my motivation is the paycheck. Can't be lazy when you've got bills to pay! $25 an hour after taxes is not so bad for a menial job. And, I really enjoy it! I plan to keep it up as long as I can.
Well, I am a restaurant server, but I helped a friend of mine with her cleaning business, for a few days and believe me...you do work out!

I just remembered that I bought a 3-pack of those disposable pie tins, last week. They are 8" diameter. I think I will make crusts in those, tonight (as many as I can fill, with that recipe). Then, I'll slide them into ziplock bags and freeze. I'm thinking that once they're frozen, they'll stack, nicely in the freezer.

I was thinking of trying to freeze one of the [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Spinach Pies[/COLOR], too. Maybe I'll try them both, tonight.

I want to be able to do most of my weekly cooking, in one day...and freeze it. That would be SOOOOOOOO nice.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Oh, great idea! I am so excited to hear about how they turn out! I meant to do some experimenting myself, this weekend, but I just agreed to work instead. Who needs days off? It's been 16 days straight so far, and I am burnin' burnin' burning' calories. And with recipes like these, I'm laughing all the way.

I will be tuned in to this thread!
Old 05-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Dear Nancy Elle--

Just one more note to let you know how your recipe has revitalized cooking at home.

Here's a weird tweak that I came up with-- adding a tablespoon of Kraft (or Kroger) Parmesan cheese to the basic recipe. It adds a certain "breadiness" -- to the mouth feel.

So far, I've made a Pesto/spinach/Asiago/mozzarella/mushroom/sausage combo, a Mexican Chorizo/mushroom/red and orange bell pepper combo, a couple of Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian Pizzas for my Vegetarian roommate.

I have 10 roomates, and this is one of the few things that I can make that pleases *everyone*.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful recipe!

Re-starting Meat and Egg Fast :1/13/14

Size:18/20* 14/16* 10/ 11/12 * 9/10 * 8/9* 7/8
I have no idea what I weigh.

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try."
Alexander the Great
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Dear Nancy Elle--

Just one more note to let you know how your recipe has revitalized cooking at home.

Here's a weird tweak that I came up with-- adding a tablespoon of Kraft (or Kroger) Parmesan cheese to the basic recipe. It adds a certain "breadiness" -- to the mouth feel.

So far, I've made a Pesto/spinach/Asiago/mozzarella/mushroom/sausage combo, a Mexican Chorizo/mushroom/red and orange bell pepper combo, a couple of Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian Pizzas for my Vegetarian roommate.

I have 10 roomates, and this is one of the few things that I can make that pleases *everyone*.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful recipe!
Hey girl! I've added a touch of the Parm to mine as well, to change the texture of the crust a bit! So happy the whole house is enjoying the variety!
Old 05-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyElle View Post
Hey girl! I've added a touch of the Parm to mine as well, to change the texture of the crust a bit! So happy the whole house is enjoying the variety!
It's a life saver!

It worked really well, using the Mexi-Blend cheese with Mozzarella in reverse proportions, too. I did this the other day-- we were running out of Mozzarella, so I saved most of it for the topping. I ended up with a wonderful, golden crust-- and everyone loved it. Got us through 'till the next Costco trip.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:36 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
It's a life saver!

It worked really well, using the Mexi-Blend cheese with Mozzarella in reverse proportions, too. I did this the other day-- we were running out of Mozzarella, so I saved most of it for the topping. I ended up with a wonderful, golden crust-- and everyone loved it. Got us through 'till the next Costco trip.

Oh WOW! I saw you posted the pizza recipes on your blog! Glad I could help further your low carb lifestyle success!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

NancyElle, or anyone else...I have an idea, and was wondering if you think it would work. We are going camping, starting this Saturday evening.

Well, one of our "camping traditions", is nachos for one dinner. We make "Nachos Supreme", with meat and cheese, lettuce, onions, and tomatoes. I was thinking about using this crust, as a substitute for the nacho chips. My idea, is to bake the crust, at home. Then, I would cut it into little triangles, and put in a ziplock bag. Then, I would keep it in the cooler, until we're ready to use it.

So, here's the question. If I cut this crust into little "tortilla chip sizes", and I put a little oil in a cast iron pan, and "sauteed" this over the fire, would it "crisp up" enough to be substituted for nacho chips? I know that leftover pizza, is great when heated-up in the frying pan...wonder if this would work, too.

I'm also considering just making the crust at the campsite, and trying to "bake it" in a dutch oven, on the fire. I don't know how that would work, though...haven't done much campfire dutch oven cooking. I'd probably need to take an oven thermometer with me, to test the temperature. I'm REALLY tempted to try it this way. If I can really bake it at the campground, this could become a staple of camping dinners, for years to come. I can think of TONS of uses for this, at the campsite. All I'd have to pack, for it, is eggs and cheese, which I usually take, anyway...and some spices.

Last edited by Sugar Free Sweet Pea; 05-27-2008 at 11:54 PM..
Old 05-28-2008, 09:11 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
NancyElle, or anyone else...I have an idea, and was wondering if you think it would work. We are going camping, starting this Saturday evening.

Well, one of our "camping traditions", is nachos for one dinner. We make "Nachos Supreme", with meat and cheese, lettuce, onions, and tomatoes. I was thinking about using this crust, as a substitute for the nacho chips. My idea, is to bake the crust, at home. Then, I would cut it into little triangles, and put in a ziplock bag. Then, I would keep it in the cooler, until we're ready to use it.

So, here's the question. If I cut this crust into little "tortilla chip sizes", and I put a little oil in a cast iron pan, and "sauteed" this over the fire, would it "crisp up" enough to be substituted for nacho chips? I know that leftover pizza, is great when heated-up in the frying pan...wonder if this would work, too.

I'm also considering just making the crust at the campsite, and trying to "bake it" in a dutch oven, on the fire. I don't know how that would work, though...haven't done much campfire dutch oven cooking. I'd probably need to take an oven thermometer with me, to test the temperature. I'm REALLY tempted to try it this way. If I can really bake it at the campground, this could become a staple of camping dinners, for years to come. I can think of TONS of uses for this, at the campsite. All I'd have to pack, for it, is eggs and cheese, which I usually take, anyway...and some spices.
I talked to DH, and he said he thinks it would be better, to make the crust and bake it, at home. So, I'm going to make it Saturday morning, and then cut it into "tortilla chip" sized squares or triangles. I'll put them in a ziplock bag, and keep it in the cooler. Then, when we get ready to prepare nachos, I'll just sautee them, for a few minutes...to heat/crisp them up.

I'll let you know how it turns out!
Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gungadinn1997
WOE: atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Melle....use more cheddar in your recipe. I find that the more cheddar less mozza I use the crisper the crust gets!
gungadinn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadinn1997 View Post
Melle....use more cheddar in your recipe. I find that the more cheddar less mozza I use the crisper the crust gets!
Absolutely right. I made something akin to a Taco Bell Cheesy Gordito Crunch using a cheddar/jack mix and no mozzerella. Made them in little tortilla sized rounds, then topped with mexi toppings. Very good!

Melle~let us know how it all turns out and have fun!

Last edited by NancyElle; 05-28-2008 at 10:20 AM..
Old 05-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh WOW! I saw you posted the pizza recipes on your blog! Glad I could help further your low carb lifestyle success!
Actually-- that recipe has served as a springboard for so many ideas, I can't write them all down quickly enough! I'm trying to use the crust (smaller versions) for Calzones this week. I'll let you know how they work out.

A good freind of mine emailed me, saying she was having a bit of difficulty staying on Atkins. She tried my tweak of the your recipe (Mexican Chorizo Pizza) and said it was a life saver.

So, thanks, again!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadinn1997 View Post
Quote:
Absolutely right. I made something akin to a Taco Bell Cheesy Gordito Crunch using a cheddar/jack mix and no mozzerella. Made them in little tortilla sized rounds, then topped with mexi toppings. Very good!

Melle~let us know how it all turns out and have fun!
Good idea. I can use ALL cheddar/jack mix...no problem.

This makes me so happy. Originally, I told DH that I'd splurge and have a few tortilla chips, as long as he got the kind with ground corn...NO FLOUR. Then, I happened to think of this pizza crust (was eating some leftover pizza), and got the idea to use a crust for chips. DH loves this crust (even though he's not low carbing), so he's all for it.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kansas Deb
Stats: 159/128/115
Start Date: 6/9/03
Thank you soooo much! I made this tonight and DH and I loved it! Thanks again NancyElle.
Kansas Deb is offline   Reply With Quote