Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
canned salmon

Does anyone else rely on this as much as I do to save $$ on this WOE? So cheap and filling for the big cans of it! $1.50 each at Wal-mart.

Anyone great ideas on how to mix things up preparing it? I'm tired of salmon salad and salmon cakes!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
I use it to make salmon patties. Add some ground up pork rinds, any low carb veggies you have leftover--chopped up, some eggs, a little hot sauce and then fry on the griddle. Very delicious. My 2 boys(13 & 9) love these.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
I dont like the bones.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #4

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Didn't Alliecat post about mixing it with Mayo and "Old Bay Seasoning"?

I think I remember reading that WAY BACK and alot of people really loved it. The same thing with tuna. It kinda "kicks it up" a notch.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
The canned salmon is wild Alaskan salmon. Good stuff!

I make a killer Salmon Salad and add *organic* broccoli slaw, celery, baby spinach, onions, apple cider vinegar, mustard, mayo. I dump it all (liquid drained, but I keep the skin and bones) in the food processor and whiz it all together!

I serve it over more organic baby spinach and alongside a lovely, homemade Flax cracker.

I LOVE Alaskan canned salmon!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
At one time we used it quite a bit. I've greatly reduced the amount of canned goods we eat in an attempt to reduce the amount of Bisphenol A (BPA) we consume. It is in the linings of canned goods. DH is a chemist, and I'm fairly convinced there are health concerns surrounding it. BPA also was shown in a recent study to possibly contribute to insulin resistance and central adiposity in men. I have PCOS and am already insulin resistant (although no weight issues....yet), so for me, it makes sense to avoid BPA and hormone disruptors when I can.

It makes me sad that "safe" foods can be difficult to come by. I've started eating more salmon patties from my co-op grocery (in the freezer case). They are wild salmon, and no breadcrumbs (more affordable than salmon filets, but way more expensive than canned).

I've heard Trader Joe's does not use BPA in their can linings, but I'm not 100 percent sure if that's been confirmed independently. I think they have a TJ's house brand of canned wild salmon?
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: amiga74
Stats: 167(1997)/147/
WOE: moderation/good stuff
i love canned salmon, and it is a staple! but i don't have any recipe suggestions for you, as i usually have it on a bed of greens & veggies with tsp or tb of evoo. so far i haven't gotten bored of it...

i like regular grilled/baked/poached salmon in a sauce of 1/4 cup tomato sauce and 1/4 cup coconut milk, added to sauteed garlic and onion...
amiga74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Stats: 150~Maintaining since 2004
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2003
Chowder!

Cook some diced bacon, chopped onion and celery. Add water or broth. Throw in cubed potatoes (in the non-LC days) or turnips, simmer until tender. Flake a jar or can of salmon and heat in the chowder until piping hot. Lastly, stir in a bit of cream.
Island of Bluebells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2003
Salmon-Swiss Quiche

Mix together,
7 to 8-oz canned or foil pouch salmon, drained and flaked. Skin and bones is up to you.
8-oz shredded Swiss cheese (2-cups)
some minced sauteed mushrooms (1/4 to 1/3 cup)
1-T minced sauteed onion
1/3-cup frozen green peas (Optional, if you can afford the carbs. Per 1/6 of the recipe isn't that much. Less than a Tablespoon per serving.)
Put in a greased round casserole dish.

Whisk together,
1 cup half & half or heavy cream or milk
3 eggs
Salt and pepper
Pour evenly over salmon mixture.

Bake in a pre-heated 450F oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350F and continue baking 35 to 45 minutes longer or until the pie is firm. The middle shouldn't be jiggly.

I also know people who mix in a can of salmon while scrambling eggs.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I use canned salmon to make Linda Sue's "Tuna or Salmon Muffins." These are really good!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

^^That quiche looks great, Purple Crayon! I'll probably sub in some spinach 'cause that's what I have, but the Swiss cheese sounds so goood.

Do you cook the broccoli slaw first, Mountain Girl? I'd imagine it'd be pretty crispy raw. ACV must add a nice tang to your salad recipe.

Chowder, yum. Great idea, Island of Bluebells!
Fortunately Target had uncured bacon on sale with their canned salmon! I have some cauliflower that would be good in it.

brittone2, what have you heard about BPA? Interested to know since your DH is a chemist. I don't worry too much about it since the evidence is shaky and I can't afford to NOT eat salmon. It's the cheapest source of fatty protein for this WOE. Grass-fed beef is $5 a lb. 14.75 oz of canned salmon is $1.50. Paraben-free cosmetics spare me enough carcinogens!

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 04-14-2008 at 06:21 PM..
Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #12

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I make salmon soup. Saute onions in butter, add salmon and 1/2 and 1/2, salt and pepper. We love it and had it all the time during Lent even before LC eating.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #13

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I dont like the bones.
Grind them up! They're good for you Captain America!
They give YOU strong bones!
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Give the bones to me! Can't get enough of that extra crunch.

More on BPA! The study basically shows how the levels detected in canned fish aren't anything to worry about.

In all samples BPA concentrations were significantly lower than the Specific Migration Level of 0.6 mg/kg for BPA migration into food established by the EU Commission in 2004.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #15

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I make patties like the linda sue tuna muffins, but instead I use mozzerella cheese and chunks of cream cheese, capers, and a little smoke seasoning. Tastes almost like smoked lox and bagels, sans the bagel.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Carleigh
Good to see some more canned salmon lovers out there!

It was on sale for $1/can so I lugged home a bazillion! I usually just do the patties or serve a hunk on my salads, but nothing remotely special or original.
Carleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 AM   #17
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCola View Post

Good to see some more canned salmon lovers out there!

Add another one.

Once or twice a week for me. And salmon isn't my favorite fish by far.
I eat it because it's good for me.

jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:17 AM   #18

Gallery: flatferenghi
thanks for the info.

I did not know that canned salmon was from Alaska. I am going to add it back into my repertoire (as salmon patties). Also, for those who don't like the bones, they can be mashed up with the salmon. You won't notice any difference in the taste. AND, they are a good source of calcium. I think I will make a batch this weekend. I can't always get wild Alaskan salmon in the supermarket. One day, when they did have it, I asked the Fish man "How can you tell if it is wild? " He said "You should hear the things he was saying about the tilapia." "You're right". I said, "that's really wild!!!". Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI (not QUICK weight loss, but PERMANENT weight loss)
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:36 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Do you cook the broccoli slaw first, Mountain Girl? I'd imagine it'd be pretty crispy raw. ACV must add a nice tang to your salad recipe.
Hey there!
No, I leave it raw. I LOVE the crunch in my salad!
I dump 2 cans of salmon (liquid drained, but keep the bones and skin) into the food processor with the seasonings.
THEN, I mix it in with the raw broccoli slaw. Man is it good! I had it for supper last night over organic baby spinach. I make a batch every week and eat salmon about 5 x per week. It's SO good for us!

When I don't have broccoli slaw, I'll use any crunchies I have - celery, romaine,cut up peppers, cauliflower etc. I makes the salad so much more interesting and fun to eat (plus the extra fiber!)
Old 04-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Jacksmixedtape-
I think weighing evidence as far as BPA is confusing. Some of the studies done that have found it "safe" were done by the industry or subcontracted out by industry to companies like Sciences International (and those studies have found it "safe"). There has also been some evidence of researchers using mice in these studies that are strains that are specifically resistant to the estrogenic effects of BPA and other hormone disruptors (so minimal "effect" from the BPA is demonstrated as a result).

DH gets Chemical and Engineering News weekly and they've been covering the topic for several months. Here's some info from them:
Chemical & Engineering News: Government & Policy - Bisphenol A On Trial

I heard the Duke study mentioned in this article on NPR locally (the BPA caused the coats of mice exposed to it to change color, which demonstrates that it effects their genetics)
Chemical & Engineering News: Latest News - More Concerns Over Bisphenol A

These can be looked up on Pubmed and similar, but this site consolidates a bunch of links into one place, so I'll link to it:
Our Stolen Future: Background on BPA... what is it , how is it used and what does science say about exposure risks

eta: Specifically on Insulin Resistance/Glucose Metabolism:
Exploring the Roots of Diabetes: Bisphenol A May Promote Insulin Resistance

Because I'm a woman with PCOS and have gone through infertility as a result, and because I'm fairly convinced that all women with PCOS are insulin resistant to some degree (I don't technically test positive for IR, but I respond well to Metformin), for me, I choose to avoid BPA. I'm also still nursing my 16 month old DD, and I'd like to minimize her exposure as much as possible.

I think the body of evidence against BPA has grown, and I think a lot of the studies that were done in the past should come under closer scrutiny for their connections to industry, contractors that are known to serve industry like Sciences International, and for lovely little tricks like using strains of mice that are inherently less likely to show effects from their exposure.

ETA: the government panel that was convened several months ago specifically excluded the biggest experts in the field because they wanted "unbiased" researchers. What they got were researchers that were inexperienced in weighing the evidence as far as BPA goes (IMO). Vom Saal is *the* leading expert, and he was not included in the government group that examined BPA safety. He and several other researchers that have devoted a large part of their research to BPA convened at UNC Chapel Hill in a separate conference.

Here is one report these actual BPA experts issued in response to the government report:
(one of the concerns mentioned is again the mouse strains used since some are specifically resistant to the effects of BPA, and also no oral dose studies were admitted for examination in the government report, which many BPA researchers feel is a majorly flawed decision)
EWG Comments to BPA Advisory Panel | Environmental Working Group

EWG Urges Gov't Panel to Embrace Scientific Research Showing BPA’s Potential Impacts on Human Health | Environmental Working Group

From C&EN News:
Chemical & Engineering News: Government & Policy - Bisphenol A Vexations

Last edited by brittone2; 04-15-2008 at 11:18 AM..
Old 04-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Jacksmixedtape-
I'm with you on the paraben free makeup too The insulin disrupting effects of BPA do concern me quite seriously though, especially w/ my genetic makeup. Frankly, I think that human exposure to BPA beginning in utero, through babies that are formula/bottle fed, and through food, etc. is one of the contributors to obesity in this country (among many other things). It is linked to central adiposity and insulin resistance in men. I have a hunch it may be partly to blame for the number of overweight children in this country (again, in conjunction with many other factors).
Old 04-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Also a salmon lover DH and I open a can - drain - and put on Lavash bread crackers. Yummy. DH picks out the bones, but I eat all of them in the can! Great snack.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Wanted to add this recent bit as well:

http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/c...nclick_check=1

ETA: Health Canada officially labels BPA as dangerous:
globeandmail.com: Canada first to label bisphenol A as officially dangerous

current conflicts of interest at EPA (related to flame retardants, but the overall pattern of industry shaping regulation is there IMO)
Chemical and Engineering News: EPA Science Probed | Environmental Working Group

Last edited by brittone2; 04-15-2008 at 12:35 PM..
Old 04-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Bisphenol A

More news out today:
washingtonpost.com
FOXNews.com - Chemical in Plastic Bottles Raises Safety Questions in Government Report - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News
Old 04-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Brittone2:
That is VERY interesting stuff.

We avoid some plastics for that reason. But, I had no idea it was in canned foods.

I suspect the organic companies will make a move to have BPA-free cans.

I honestly cannot see us not eating anything in a can ever again, but it's good to avoid when possible. And I will continue (for the time being) to purchase the canned salmon because the benefits outweigh the risks (for me, at this time.)

Information is power. The power to make personal choices. I thank you for the information.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I agree with you...w/ Salmon it is tricky because there are such great benefits. We still eat canned products, but have really cut back dramatically.

Eden Organics does NOT use BPA in their canned beans (but their canned tomatoes do contain BPA linings). Muir Glen is another company that also uses BPA (as do the vast majority). Trader Joe's has supposedly said they do not use BPA in their linings, but I'm not 100 percent sure I trust that, only because it seems like a lot of their products are made for them by other companies (kwim?).

I think the public really doesn't know much about BPA, and it is important to get out the information, especially for those with young children (They are likely drinking from BPA-laden bottles, and 90% of bottles *do* contain BPA, and formula containers themselves contain BPA as well). Like many things, it was considered ridiculous for years to consider BPA a health risk, and those who voiced concern were labeled as quacks. Now things are coming full circle, and those that first sounded the alarms are being validated, which is good, yet simultaneously very sad.

I hope I wasn't annoying by posting all of those links. It is something DH and I feel very passionately about for our own family and I try to share the information with others so they can at least make an informed decision.

For those concerned about BPA, consider contacting your Congresspeople and your Representatives. It is hard to fight big business, but we are voters, and if enough of us voice our concerns, we may get some traction.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #27

Gallery: fawn
Great information Brit!
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
Jacksmixedtape-
I'm with you on the paraben free makeup too The insulin disrupting effects of BPA do concern me quite seriously though, especially w/ my genetic makeup. Frankly, I think that human exposure to BPA beginning in utero, through babies that are formula/bottle fed, and through food, etc. is one of the contributors to obesity in this country (among many other things). It is linked to central adiposity and insulin resistance in men. I have a hunch it may be partly to blame for the number of overweight children in this country (again, in conjunction with many other factors).
Those links do present some scary info (although the Environmental Working Group reminds me of PETA, LOL)! I'm just tired of worrying about stuff and spending all my money without being sure of the payoff to be perfectly honest! Organic food and cosmetics are expensive enough, and fresh or frozen wild caught salmon is out of my price range when you compare the price per ounce to grass-fed beef or organic eggs. The amount of this chemical you would be exposed to just seems so small, especially if you don't use a lot of plastics.

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 04-16-2008 at 09:05 AM..
Old 04-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
I agree with you...w/ Salmon it is tricky because there are such great benefits. We still eat canned products, but have really cut back dramatically.
I think that's where we are.

Quote:
Eden Organics does NOT use BPA in their canned beans (but their canned tomatoes do contain BPA linings). Muir Glen is another company that also uses BPA (as do the vast majority). Trader Joe's has supposedly said they do not use BPA in their linings, but I'm not 100 percent sure I trust that, only because it seems like a lot of their products are made for them by other companies (kwim?).
How can the CONSUMER find out which companies use BPA? Is this information available to the public?

It may be worth our while to let these companies know that we are not going to pay a premium for organic canned foods only to have BPA! Then, they will stop using it, if the consumers demand that. I personally will write to the companies and tell them I won't buy their products unless they remove the BPA.

What do you suggest about how to find out which companies have BPA in their cans?

Thanks again for the information Brittone. Information is never annoying, it is essential that we make INFORMED choices and we can't do that without information. Not everyone will make the same choice, but we all have the same power if we know the score.

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 04-16-2008 at 09:40 AM..
Old 04-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I know of people that have made inquiries, and honestly, the only companies I know of that do not use it are Eden (in their beans, but that doesn't apply to all of their products) and supposedly Trader Joe's (and I love me some TJs, but I'm not 100 percent sure I trust their response).

The Green Guide suggests buying in aseptic containers (like Rice/Soy/Almond milk comes in). I know my co-op carries tomatoes packed like this now. Of course, those containers supposedly are aluminum with a polyethylene coating (plastic #5, which for now is considered a safer plastic). Other than that, I try to rely on glass (Bionature strained tomatoes and tomato paste).

I definitely think it is good to raise the issue w/ manufacturers. There is new science emerging and hopefully they'll find and move to better alternatives. I think the catch is tomatoes need the lining because of their acidity, which limits the manufacturer's choices. I'm with you though...we eat mostly organic, and I do not want to pay a premium for organic products packed in toxic cans. Several years ago we did a lot of canning of tomatoes, and I stopped when my two kids came along. We're definitely going to pursue canning again this year so that we can have whole, organic tomatoes packed in nice, safe glass containers! I've also moved to buying more organic beans from bulk bins, and then cooking and freezing in Pyrex. Of course, I suspect that bulk bins are probably made of polycarbonate since they are that clear, hard plastic which generally tends to be polycarbonate (and polycarbonate almost always contains BPA). However, the amount of food in the bulk bins is pretty large, so hopefully only a small portion of the food comes into contact w/ the container. Frustrating though! I think this is why we need to pressure our lawmakers to get this stuff out of our food, especially in children's products. It is too difficult in many cases for consumers to figure out what contains BPA, and the best thing for everyone would be to eliminate it, IMO.

I'm glad I didn't offend with my comments. It is hard not to share, but at the same time, I never want to be overly pushy (especially since I'm a newbie to posting here :blush: ). I"m all about the informed consent/informed choices mindset, but I know not everyone shares that mindset. BPA is a particular interest of mine because of the connection to insulin resistance, PCOS, central adiposity, etc. As a woman w/ PCOS, I tend to think there may be a connection.

I'm also with you on avoiding other plastics. We try to minimize phthalates, especially for our kids (we do very few plastic toys, teethers, etc. and minimize buying vinyl). That stuff is hormone disrupting as well.

I think the word is spreading. If this topic concerns you, please consider calling/emailing/writing companies and your representatives and congress people and let them know that you want this stuff *out* of the products we are eating.