Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Those links do present some scary info (although the Environmental Working Group reminds me of PETA, LOL)! I'm just tired of worrying about stuff and spending all my money without being sure of the payoff to be perfectly honest! Organic food and cosmetics are expensive enough, and fresh or frozen wild caught salmon is out of my price range when you compare the price per ounce to grass-fed beef or organic eggs. The amount of this chemical you would be exposed to just seems so small, especially if you don't use a lot of plastics.
It really isn't that small IMO. It is in consumer electronics, CDs (so is inhaled, etc. from dust/breakdown of those products). It is in canned food linings. It is in baby bottles, Nalgene bottles, etc. It is in dental sealants and white composite fillings (although still preferable to mercury containing amalgams IMO).

EWG certainly is pro-environment, but those studies can be looked up on pubmed and independent sites.

Industry certainly has a strong agenda to protect the reputation of BPA. I'm actually glad there are groups like EWG, which while biased w/ a pro-environment slant, are probably only a fraction as powerful as the money and influence that big business and the chemical industry in general hold.

Congress is opening up investigations into the chemical industry and the corruption within the EPA. The government itself contracted Sciences International initially to do a literature review for them, and they worked for months before someone raised the conflict of interest issue (Sciences International was contracted in the past by numerous chemical companies to do their research, including BASF, Dow, etc). Finally someone excused Sciences International from the government panel, but they still used the report that group generated to make their assessments. Honestly, how hard would it have been to figure out that Sciences International had *major* and extensive ties to industry before the gov't contracted them? It really was quite obvious. Only after a few groups notified some congresspeople did someone realize it didn't pass the smell test, which is really sad. You have people that sit on boards of chemical companies shaping policy at the EPA. That is just inexcusable, IMO. (similar to how the FDA works as well).

sorry for the soapbox. I don't think our exposures are minimal, to be honest

other resources: The Green Guide is part of National Geographic, fwiw
Bisphenol-A, plastic water bottles, cans, leaching chemicals, BPA, Nalgene bottles - The Green Guide
Obesity, overweight, phthalates, low testosterone, abdominal obesity, BPA - The Green Guide

The C&EN News coverage has been interesting, because if anything, that publication should theoretically be biased toward industry. They've been publishing quite a few pieces on the concerns over BPA.

ON a brighter note, an associate let me know that a colleague of her husband's is doing some in vivo research on BPA removal with beneficial bacteria strains (like from yogurt/probiotics)
see this link if you are interested:
SpringerLink - Journal Article

Last edited by brittone2; 04-16-2008 at 11:12 AM..
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I heard it on NPR. I thought it was interesting that the guy who reviewed the study telling us about all the lab rats and the weak hormonal influence and such, when asked if he had a baby, knowing this, would he use glass bottles instead of plastic. He hemmed and hawwed, audibly, and said even he wasn't sure what the implications are, that the amount is so small, and that properly used that the plastics were probably safe.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

I'll toss this thought out there. There are many, many hormone disrupting chemicals. For example, phthalates, which are found in plastics and in things like perfumes, room deodorizers, makeup, etc. Studies have shown that in women with higher levels of phthalates during pregnancy, there are increased risks of genital issues in baby boys, including hypospadia (a penile deformity).

The catch for me is that these chemicals are studied in isolation. So the researchers say, well, a dose of xyz may or may not be safe.

However, that doesn't represent our real life exposure. We're not only being exposed to BPA in isolation, but instead, we are simultaneously getting hit with *multiple* hormone disrupting chemicals. We are getting hit with BPA, phthalates, pesticides (also estrogen mimicking), etc. simultaneously. THere is also some research to support that when you combine these chemicals, the results are far stronger than the exposure to individual chemicals in isolation (so there's a synergistic effect).

That is one of many reasons I don't buy into the "small amounts" theory, personally. We don't fully understand these compounds individually, nor have we really figured out how much is too much, or how little is "safe" enough. But the reality IMO is that we are exposed to multiple estrogen-mimicking compounds simultaneously. We've only scratched the surface of that topic, and it is far more nefarious, IMO.

ttp://www.newsweek.com/id/105588

From that article:
"L. Earl Gray Jr., a research biologist at the EPA, has tested mixtures of two or more phthalates in animals. He deliberately selected doses of each that were too low to cause effects individually—yet found that as many as 50 percent of male rats who were exposed to the combination in utero developed abnormalities in the reproductive tract. In his latest study, he combined three phthalates with four pesticides and found that at the highest doses, the effects equaled those of a sevenfold dose of a single phthalate. "All the males were malformed," he says."

Phthalates abound, and are in our children's toys, lotions, personal care products, etc. as well as an enormous amount of adult consumer products. So what happens when we combine BPA w/ pesticides? BPA and phthalates? BPA, pesticides, and phthalates? Suddenly that amount that might or might not be hormone-disrupting in isolation may be *very* disruptive. The reality is that we are constantly bombarded by these chemicals in combination. I don't think we have any idea what a "safe" dose is when we are talking about how they affect one another synergistically

FWIW, BPA is also in products like food processors, many non-glass blenders, etc. which I know are often used multiple times a day (I have a glass blender but a BPA-laden food processor bowl). Vitamix now has BPA free containers available on one model, but I don't own one. Yet
Old 04-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Balance

You know, I just gotta say this:

I try to find out as much information as I can, so our family can make an informed choice about what to buy, wear, eat etc.

However, we live in a such a world that we CANNOT grow everything we eat and there has to be some balance. We can't stop eating, or breathing, or wearing clothes. We CAN make the best choices of these items if we cannot grow them ourselves.

Personally, for me, I have faith in the L-rd Jesus and I know that balance is essential as well as not going off the deep end.

Anyway, back to canned salmon:
I made more Salmon Salad tonight. YUMMM! I served it with a flax cracker and organic romaine lettuce.

Does anyone have a good recipe for Baked Salmon Cakes using canned salmon?

TIA~!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post

TIA~!
What kind of texture are you looking for in your requested salmon cake recipe?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
What kind of texture are you looking for in your requested salmon cake recipe?
Hey Metqa!!
Firm texture. Maybe crispy on the outside and firm on the inside. Is that possible?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You know, I just gotta say this:

I try to find out as much information as I can, so our family can make an informed choice about what to buy, wear, eat etc.

However, we live in a such a world that we CANNOT grow everything we eat and there has to be some balance. We can't stop eating, or breathing, or wearing clothes. We CAN make the best choices of these items if we cannot grow them ourselves.

Personally, for me, I have faith in the L-rd Jesus and I know that balance is essential as well as not going off the deep end.

Anyway, back to canned salmon:
I made more Salmon Salad tonight. YUMMM! I served it with a flax cracker and organic romaine lettuce.

TIA~!
I agree with you. I don't lose sleep, but try to reduce our cumulative body burden where I can. I don't find canned goods essential to our family's eating (we do use them on occasion though), so for me, that's an easy way to reduce our exposure. I still use my BPA containing food processor. We eat organic and minimize plastics where we can.

I don't want people to think I hide in a closet in fear of BPA nor would I suggest anyone else do that I just thought I'd share why I make the choices I make, and as you said before, information is a good thing. We all do what we can and make the choices that make sense for us. Just sharing my perspective and rationale. I do think our best use of time is to contact companies and lawmakers and tell them to get this stuff out of our food and children's products in particular (because the impact of that for 15-30 mins of time probably far exceeds the real effects of any one individual worrying for hours on end, kwim?).

Sorry for the soapbox.

Back to salmon
Old 04-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
I would also like to know about the baked salmon cake recipe!

Thanks for all of that information, brittone. I am always open to new info, but am currently frustrated because of budgetary constraints. I dropped a bottle of Aloe Vera Gel today and almost cried, LOL. $7, yikes. Being a broke student and trying to live off of low carb organics would be a lot more stressful without all of the ideas and support at places like LCF. Hopefully by cutting out certain harmful chemicals in other areas (cosmetics, storage containers, etc.) it'll counteract the exposure from a daily can of salmon. No more canned tomatoes, though! What about plastic bags that veggies and fruits come in?

As for BPA, you are right about the press it's currently receiving! Just tonight on the local news they were covering it. I only drink out of glass bottles and do not heat or store anything in plastic. What types of plastics contain BPA? You said a food processor container? My magic bullet cups probably contain BPA, but if you don't heat anything in the plastic, it should be safe to use I suppose? Just one more thing to worry about! At the risk of sounding like a birkenstock-wearing hippie, the FDA and USDA have really failed us on the healthcare front.

"I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget. I've got a perfect body 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat."
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Hey Metqa!!
Firm texture. Maybe crispy on the outside and firm on the inside. Is that possible?
Hmm, do you eat pork rinds?

I wonder how my mom made salmon patties, she would use an egg and a can of salmon, and she might have used bread crumbs as a binder. You could probably modify Linda Sue's Tuna muffin recipe, and shape them into patties, bread with pork rind crumbs and lightly pan fry in a bit of oil. I'm stumped though on how to hold it together without bread crumbs. Maybe mashed cauliflower !!??!!??
Old 04-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I wonder how my mom made salmon patties, she would use an egg and a can of salmon, and she might have used bread crumbs as a binder. You could probably modify Linda Sue's Tuna muffin recipe, and shape them into patties, bread with pork rind crumbs and lightly pan fry in a bit of oil. I'm stumped though on how to hold it together without bread crumbs. Maybe mashed cauliflower !!??!!??
Hey Metqa,

Nope, I don't eat pork of any kind. (Keep Biblical Kosher).

Anyway, I was planning on using Almond Meal instead of the bread crumbs. But I'd rather bake them than fry them.

Thanks anyway, I'll search for some and report back.

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 04-16-2008 at 05:39 PM..
Old 04-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Jacksmixedtape-
BPA is usually present in a specific plastic known as polycarbonate (the clear, hard stuff. Think Nalgene bottle types of containers). So yes, there's a very good chance the blender is polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is usually labeled as a plastic #7 recycling code (which also includes some non polycarbonate plastics, because it is a designation for "other"). So plastic bags that food comes in, etc. would not contain polycarbonate. There are concerns about some other plastics, and BPA is only one type of "concerning" plastic. It sounds like you do a lot to minimize your exposure already

The original thought on BPA was that it didn't leech if not heated, but that's been shown to not be entirely true. BPA does tend to leech over time as the plastic gets older, especially if scratched/damaged or if it gets run through the dishwasher. It leeches more when heated though, so at the very least, avoid that when you can (again why baby bottles are a particular concern...many people heat the formula in them, etc.).

HTH!
Old 04-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #42

Quote:
Hey Metqa,

Anyway, I was planning on using Almond Meal instead of the bread crumbs. But I'd rather bake them than fry them.

Wow, You've got it. the almond Flour should do the trick. and Make a nice crust too. You are probably going to have a better time with them not falling apart by baking them also. I always have trouble with baked things being soggy on the bottom. last time I baked breaded fish, I put them on my cookie cooling rack that is just half an inch above the surface. Both sides were crisp and unsoggy. Don't know if you could do that with a mash though.

Go for It!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2003
Quote:

You don't need a binder. Just use egg and mayo to hold it together. If you let the egg set before you try to flip the patty over, it should hold together fine.

You could use Parmesan cheese on the outside to give them a nice crunchy coating.

And for those who don't like skin and bones in your salmon, you can find canned or foil packet salmon without skin and bones. Just check the labels. But if it doesn't specifically say no skin and bones, then expect skin and bones.
Purple Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Crayon View Post
You don't need a binder. Just use egg and mayo to hold it together. If you let the egg set before you try to flip the patty over, it should hold together fine.

You could use Parmesan cheese on the outside to give them a nice crunchy coating.

And for those who don't like skin and bones in your salmon, you can find canned or foil packet salmon without skin and bones. Just check the labels. But if it doesn't specifically say no skin and bones, then expect skin and bones.
Thanks for the tips. I like to mash the bones up into the meat. Extra calcium! seems It'd be a shame not to have them.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Does anyone have any tips for getting the pattie to not stick? I used fresh fennel, egg, and parmesan cheese as binders. Fried it in coconut oil and it stuck badly so the nice crunchy brown coating was left in the pan and the pattie didn't look so hot! Maybe it's just the coconut oil that's the problem...
Old 04-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2003
Quote:
Does anyone have any tips for getting the pattie to not stick? I used fresh fennel, egg, and parmesan cheese as binders. Fried it in coconut oil and it stuck badly so the nice crunchy brown coating was left in the pan and the pattie didn't look so hot! Maybe it's just the coconut oil that's the problem...
Are you using a non-stick pan too?

Maybe try adjusting the heat.
Purple Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #47

I've been using coconut oil with liquid lecithin added to it in my "non" stick skillet and it keeps my sunny side up egg from sticking but not my scrabbled egg.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #48

Gallery: Dreamchaser
bump
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad you bumped this! I think I'll make baked salmon patties for supper!
Thanks!!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Salmon patties, yum! Such a quick and easy meal.

I'm eating it out of the can right now. Gosh, it's just perfectly salted and yummy...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #51

Quote:
I'm glad you bumped this! I think I'll make baked salmon patties for supper!
Thanks!!
Hey MG, How's It goin"?

Quote:
Salmon patties, yum! Such a quick and easy meal.

I'm eating it out of the can right now. Gosh, it's just perfectly salted and yummy...
I made the mistake of giving my cat Qiwi some canned salmon forgetting about the salt . . .she drank the fountain dry that day. She loved it but I wouldn't give her anymore I think it tastes good right out of the can, too which is why we were eating it together
Old 08-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hiya Metqa!

Good to see ya!

I made the baked salmon patties today and they were just awesome!!!!!!!!!!! YUMMM!!

I wish I could eat salmon outta the can like you guys, but I can't stomach it. I DO love canned salmon in things though, just not by itself.

The salmon patties were just delicious!! I also made a baked salmon "meatloaf" for my hubby. Same recipe, just spread out in a pie plate vs patties.

I heart Alaskan wild salmon.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tonight I made 2 salmon loaves, only in pie plates. Deeee-Lish!!

I used:
2 Canned wild Alaskan salmon (drained but retain bones and skin)
1/2 cup organic baby carrots
celery seed
2 TB organic soy okara
1 homegrown baby squash
2 TB dried onion
2 organic eggs
1/2 cup organic golden flax meal
2 TB Horseradish mustard
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup fresh home-grown basil
3 TB minced garlic

Whiz all in food processor until mixed well.
Spread batter into 2 oiled 10-inch pie plates. Bake in 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until top is very brown.

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 08-10-2008 at 10:21 PM..
Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cyberus
WOE: Low carb (Type 2 Diabetic)
I use vital wheat gluten and soy flour with egg as a binder.
cyberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:26 AM   #55

Gallery: NewStartNow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzie View Post
Add another one.

Once or twice a week for me. And salmon isn't my favorite fish by far.
I eat it because it's good for me.

Same here.
NewStartNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Hey Metqa,

I'd be curious how those come out. To me almond flour seems sweet, ok on breaded frying meats but I'm not sure as a filler how it would be.

Lauren, I love canned salmon too, also on a tight food budget here. I eat it on salads mostly. Love those little white bone bits

LOL ok I see you've already made them, REalfood Those sound really good! thx

Last edited by 24Fan; 07-23-2009 at 04:36 AM..
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:06 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Hmm wanderi f there is anything wrong with those bags that now carry tomato sauce and tuna???
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #58

Gallery: NewStartNow
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon View Post
Hmm wanderi f there is anything wrong with those bags that now carry tomato sauce and tuna???

I wonder about the bags too and the cartons for shelved drinks like milks/nut milks (I can't think of what they are called)
NewStartNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
The other day a member on here posted 101 Simple Salads posted in the NY Times.......I think #61 sounds wonderful. Going to make that one real soon -----> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/di...r=2&ref=dining
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Fan View Post
I'd be curious how those come out. To me almond flour seems sweet, ok on breaded frying meats but I'm not sure as a filler how it would be.

Lauren, I love canned salmon too, also on a tight food budget here. I eat it on salads mostly. Love those little white bone bits

LOL ok I see you've already made them, REalfood Those sound really good! thx
just add some savory spices like parmesan, or Old Bay spice, or some dill or lemon pepper.