Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Coconut flour carb count has changed

I just found out that Aloha Nu has increased the carb count for their coconut flour by a HUGE amount. The label used to say that 28 grams had the following counts:

52 Calories; 3g Fat; 4g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 18g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

Now the label says:

124 Calories; 4.2g Fat; 4.9g Protein; 16.6g Carbohydrate; 10.5g Dietary Fiber; 6 Net Carbs

Had anyone else noticed this? That change will make a big difference in how we've been counting it in our recipes. I'm not even sure how suitable it is for low carb with that many carbs. I'm very disappointed because I just ordered another bag of it. What's really strange is that both the old and the new counts both come out right in the Hidden Carb Calculator. So, which numbers are the real ones???
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
I was very intersted in making your coconut bread, and based on the nutritional information shown on Netrition, I was wondering how your count was so low! I guess I'm not glad my Whole Foods doesn't carry coconut flour, and I probably will not order it from Netrition either. I'm thinking an e-mail to the company is in order!
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #3

Actually, the news isn't quite as bad as I'd feared. Once you divide a recipe into servings, the difference between the old and new counts doesn't make a very big difference. Here are some numbers for comparison based on a serving of each:

Coconut Bread (old counts):
116 Calories; 11g Fat; 4g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

Coconut Bread (new counts):
133 Calories; 11g Fat; 4g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

Cheddar Biscuits (old counts):
203 Calories; 18g Fat; 10g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

Cheddar Biscuits (new counts):
218 Calories; 18g Fat; 10g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

Also, I did some Googling and found that the net carbs are even higher for the same amount of both Tropical Traditions and Bob's Red Mill brands of coconut flour. Tropical Traditions has about 7.5 net carbs per 28 grams and Bob's Red Mill has 8 net carbs per 29 grams. Of course that implies that the new Aloha Nu numbers may still be too low. That may not be the case though because Aloha Nu's is a bit higher in fat than either of those other two which would lower the carbs.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
LindaSue, I hadn't noticed that their info had changed, but I had looked at some on another site, and compared it to the baf of Aloha Nu & noticed that the carb count on the other brand was higher... I don't have that info right now, but I'm thinking they are more along the same line now.
So I'm wondering if Aloha Nu realized theirs was low?

OK, I didn't finish reading your last post before I started posting, but I stopped, went down, & was reading it again. Yes, the TT was what I was looking at.

I tried finding it on USDA, and they didn't have coconut flour listed.

It's a little disconcerning that it is higher than we/I thought.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #5

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
What is the approx. volume measure of 28 grams?
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I wasn't sure. I went & weighed my Aloha Nu. I was actually surpirsed. For some reason I thought it was abt 1/4 cup or just over. It is actually 1/3c.
I don't know if the TT is the same or not.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
What is the approx. volume measure of 28 grams?
The label claims that 28 grams measures out to 2 tablespoons but my entry in MasterCook says 14 grams equals 2 tablespoons so maybe I came up with a different amount than they did. I'll go weigh some and see what I get... Yep, I still get 13-14 grams for 2 tablespoons. I used an 1/8 cup measure instead of two individual spoonfuls because I thought it would be more accurate. I didn't pack it down tightly. If I really pack it down, I can get it up to 15-16 grams which is still nowhere near 28 grams. I always measure it by weight when I use it in my recipes.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]That's what I got when I measured it too. I also used a 1/8 cup measure. I didn't pack it down tightly. Then I tried a 1/4 c measure, which came to no where near the 28 g, so I used a 1/3 c. I got 28 g in the 1/3 c. [/COLOR]
Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #9

I know there used to be big differences in the nutritional numbers between the the kind that was defatted and the one that was not. I wonder if that has come into play here somehow.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #10

I think they're all de-fatted, it's just a matter of how much. There's a big difference between the fat content of coconut flour and regular unsweetened coconut:

28 grams coconut flour (new counts): 4g Fat (30.5% calories from fat)

28 grams coconut flour (old counts): 3g Fat (22.0% calories from fat)

28 grams unsweetened coconut: 26g Fat (86.3% calories from fat)
Old 03-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #11

I'm not sure what happened but the counts for the coconut bread that I posted above are not correct. Sometimes MasterCook doesn't refresh the data right away when changes are made to a recipe. Here are the correct numbers (made with liquid Splenda):

Coconut Bread (new counts):
Per Serving: 133 Calories; 11g Fat; 4g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

When I change an ingredient in Master Cook, I always click on another "tab", and then back to the Nutritional tab, to make sure I have the "new" nutritional info. Cause if it is on the nutritional tab when I make the changes, it rarely changes the info till you leave it (tab) & then go back.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Bob's Red Mill has always had a higher carb count compared to other brands. The ccount on coconut products has always been confusing!

Oh well, doesn't stall me so I'll keep using it for sauces and smoothies.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Oh well, doesn't stall me so I'll keep using it for sauces and smoothies.
Sometimes that is the problem with putting too much stock in what the numbers say as opposed to how our bodies react to certain foods. We get carbaphobic. I guess thats the old good carb bad carb story.....
Old 03-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
When I change an ingredient in Master Cook, I always click on another "tab", and then back to the Nutritional tab, to make sure I have the "new" nutritional info. Cause if it is on the nutritional tab when I make the changes, it rarely changes the info till you leave it (tab) & then go back.
I usually do something like that too and I thought I did this time as well. At least I caught the error before I uploaded the changes to the recipes on my site.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Your coconut breaded chicken looks wonderful...Do you taste the "coconut flavor" when breading or does the flour take on a new flavor it is mixed with?
babydollsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

OK, So I was able to do some weighing of the TT flour.

100 grams = approx 3/4 cup - lightly packed
40g = 1/3 c
28g = 1/4 c
18g = 1/8 c
These numbers don't all exactly jive, but is probably due to slight differences in the cups. And perhaps the difference in the "pack". That's a lot of difference between the 1/8 cup (x2) & the 1/4c.
But I measured & weighed several times.

That is sure a LOT different tho than the Aloha Nu.
No matter how I measured or weighed it tho, it didn't come close to the weights & meaures I got with the Aloha Nu.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydollsea View Post
Your coconut breaded chicken looks wonderful...Do you taste the "coconut flavor" when breading or does the flour take on a new flavor it is mixed with?
I don't recall tasting the coconut flavor on the chicken. It was pretty neutral, probably due to the seasonings and the fact that it was only a thin coating of coconut flour.

crazywoman, I only ever go by the weight listed on food packages because that's always going to be more accurate than the cup measurement. Aloha Nu's counts by weight jive with the other brands pretty closely so I just ignore the 2 tablespoon serving size. That's nonsense anyway because no one is going to only use 2 tablespoons. They only choose such a small amount to make the carb count look lower. One thing I did like about their new label was that they didn't seem to round their counts. They included the decimal points.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Is it possible to just put coconut in my coffee grinder and make my own coconut flour? It would presumably have more fat thus lower carbs. Right?
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw View Post
Is it possible to just put coconut in my coffee grinder and make my own coconut flour? It would presumably have more fat thus lower carbs. Right?
I'm just guessing but I bet with the fat content of coconut you would end up with a paste before a flour.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:51 AM   #21

I've ground small amounts in my mini food processor to use for coating crab cakes and it works great for that. It wouldn't work well as a sub for coconut flour due to the high fat content like Kevin said. A coffee grinder may grind it too well and make coconut paste but a food processor worked just fine.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I just found out that Aloha Nu has increased the carb count for their coconut flour by a HUGE amount. The label used to say that 28 grams had the following counts:

52 Calories; 3g Fat; 4g Protein; [COLOR=red]20g Carbohydrate[/COLOR]; 18g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

[COLOR=red]Now the label says:[/COLOR]

124 Calories; 4.2g Fat; 4.9g Protein; [COLOR=red]16.6g Carbohydrate[/COLOR]; 10.5g Dietary Fiber; 6 Net Carbs

Had anyone else noticed this? That change will make a big difference in how we've been counting it in our recipes. I'm not even sure how suitable it is for low carb with that many carbs. I'm very disappointed because I just ordered another bag of it. What's really strange is that both the old and the new counts both come out right in the Hidden Carb Calculator. So, which numbers are the real ones???
Am I reading this right? It looks like the new label has less carbs for the count.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Am I reading this right? It looks like the new label has less carbs for the count.
That's what it looks like at first glance, but there is much less fiber in the new counts. In the end there are three times as many net carbs with the new counts. What is really wacky is the calorie count. How could it change from 52 to 124 yet all of the other number didn't change that drastically? The old calorie count was just flat out wrong. The carbs, protein and fat add up to 123 calories, not 52. The new counts do add up to 124 calories.

So, I guess if you don't do net carbs, the carbs are actually lower. If you do net carbs then the carbs are higher. Makes all kind of sense, no, LOL?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Phooey! Thanks Kevin and LindaSue. Guess I'll scrap that idea.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
It's possible that the first label was wrong all along. In the U.S., companies are allowed to use up "misprinted" labels, and just make corrections when they have more labels printed.

If you add up the numbers (4 cals/gram for protein and carbs, and 9 cals/gram for fat), those on the old label don't add up to the number of calories shown, but those on the new label do.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post
It's possible that the first label was wrong all along. In the U.S., companies are allowed to use up "misprinted" labels, and just make corrections when they have more labels printed.

If you add up the numbers (4 cals/gram for protein and carbs, and 9 cals/gram for fat), those on the old label don't add up to the number of calories shown, but those on the new label do.
Plus they're now a lot closer to the counts for those other two brands which makes sense.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
That's what it looks like at first glance, but there is much less fiber in the new counts. In the end there are three times as many net carbs with the new counts. What is really wacky is the calorie count. How could it change from 52 to 124 yet all of the other number didn't change that drastically? The old calorie count was just flat out wrong. The carbs, protein and fat add up to 123 calories, not 52. The new counts do add up to 124 calories.

So, I guess if you don't do net carbs, the carbs are actually lower. If you do net carbs then the carbs are higher. Makes all kind of sense, no, LOL?

Okay, thanks for explaining--I always forget about the net carbs.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #28
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
Well here's something funny - I was in Whole Foods Market today and saw they carry Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour. But the thing is, it looks NOTHING like the Aloha Nu Coconut Flour I've ordered from Netrition. The Aloha Nu really looks like finely ground coconut and is more of a meal-type texture and is white, but the Bob's truly looks like flour. It has the consistency of white flour, that's how fine and soft it is, and it also has a yellowish cast. What gives? Very interesting.

Oh well, either way, I do enjoy coconut flour and the few extra grams of carbs don't bother me.
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shecan1
Stats: (160/130/120)
WOE: Atkins
coconut bisquits - revised

Wow, I made the coconut bisquits per Linda Sue's original recipe - I thought they were good but I definetly like the carbquick bisquits better.
However I decided to tweak the recipe and I came up with something quite different
I substituted American cheese for the chedar cheese. Added 2 tablespoons of artificial sweetener, a dash of fiber fit (omited the garlic) and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. I cooked the bisquits for 18 minutes.
I put a cinnamon/butter/diabeta sweet brown/erythritol mix on top of one bisquit then put another bisquit on top - put more cinnamon mix and then topped with a cream cheese frosting.it was awesome. Tasted like a real cinnamon roll - and was incredible easy and quick to make.
It would also work well for a strawberry shortcake recipe.
shecan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joycelyn View Post
Well here's something funny - I was in Whole Foods Market today and saw they carry Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour. But the thing is, it looks NOTHING like the Aloha Nu Coconut Flour I've ordered from Netrition. The Aloha Nu really looks like finely ground coconut and is more of a meal-type texture and is white, but the Bob's truly looks like flour. It has the consistency of white flour, that's how fine and soft it is, and it also has a yellowish cast. What gives? Very interesting.

Oh well, either way, I do enjoy coconut flour and the few extra grams of carbs don't bother me.
[COLOR=black]That is odd, because my Aloha Nu Coconut flour looks & feels much like flour. It doesn't have a texture of finley ground coconut or mealy.[/COLOR]
It is off white, not really white, but not yellow either.I wouldn't say it is quite as fine & soft as white flour necessarily, tho almost, but it isn't mealy either. It's feel is a lot closer to flour than meal. I've only had one bag.