Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: amiga74
Stats: 167(1997)/147/
WOE: moderation/good stuff
sea vegetables, seaweed, arame, kombu, etc Recipe help

hello!
seaweeds are high in minerals and fiber, their carb count is nil & they are very good for you. in the early stricter stages of dieting i really need them!

does anyone have experience using them and could you suggest some recipes?

usually, i add some kombu to soups, removing it before we eat.

with arame, i usually toss in a stir-fry or sometimes a soup as well.

how do you use and prepare these and other sea vegetables i have yet to try?

tia!
amiga74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
We make sushi at home with the toasted nori - not sure if that's what you're looking for?

No rice of course, but usually we use sashimi grade tuna, cream cheese, radish sprouts, tobiko, or some farm-raised salmon, cream cheese, avocado, tobiko.

You can roll up lots of stuff in the toasted nori sheets - tuna or egg salad, hot dogs, whatever you like!

We also love seaweed salad at sushi bars but I've never made it at home. I bet you could find a recipe by searching on Google though!!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Karen Barnaby has a recipe for nori crisps. You cut 2 sheets of nori into squares. She does 4 squares per sheet, but I do more like 16 pieces per sheet. (Think Wheat Thins) Brush the pieces of nori with egg white and dip in toasted sesame seeds.Sprinkle on a little salt. Bake in a 350 oven until crisp, about 10 minutes.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: amiga74
Stats: 167(1997)/147/
WOE: moderation/good stuff
dear Charski & Soobee,
thanks for these tips! i do have some nori-i didn't even think about making rolls-duh!
and the nori crisps look like a nice snack, too!

So anyone else? arame and dulse advice?

amiga
amiga74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
BTW:

You can purchase pre-roasted seaweed (also called "nori" or "laver", if you google it) in little snack packs -- roasted with olive or sesame oils and dashed with salt. Very crunchy -- like a very thin, fragile potato chip. Asian groceries sell it, and Amazon has some, I believe. Each little lunch pack has about 20 calories and very few carbs.

Here's a reliable online source:

AsianFoodGrocer.com - Asian Food and Recipes Online - Product Search - Showing All

-Retroworx

Last edited by retroworx; 02-28-2008 at 08:49 PM..
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Zer
Stats: 5'10"; 65; 508.7/_320.0_/199
WOE: Atkins: <5%Carb; J-UD/DD(<2798/560cals); 128ozH2O
Start Date: Got scale at 432.4(2/8/08); 376.8(2/8/09)
Got nori? It's a yummy LC sea vegie!

I have some nori - seaweed - that I snip into strips that get soft in a moist mixture. It's like having noodles. Green noodles. It is an interesting vegie, nori. The seaweed is flat and perforated to use as wrap for sushi. So I can cut it with scissors. It is flat, thin as paper, cuts easily. Anyone else using nori for a fast and easy vegie?

I wonder if Netrition ever carries nori, a sea vegetable from China.

I've got two brands that are dated 2003 (I kind of lose track of what I have on hand, but this stuff lasts forever, apparently!): Mine are from Eden Foods and MaineCoast. Both are dated 7/28/03 and show my name and a customer number. I'll have to look back to see what source I got them from, as I intend to bring a lot more of this into my daily menu. Would love to add nori to my Netrition orders, if I can find nori at Netrition (hint hint). What say?

A 2.5gram sheet of nori delivers 1g carb and 1g fiber with 1g protein, 8mg potassium, 10mg sodium - all for 8 calories.

What's 2.5g? Uh... Eden's bag says 25g = 0.8oz; MaineCoast's bag says 130g = 4.6oz. A sheet snips into LOTS of slivers, papery slivers that soften up as green noodles in a moist mixture of tuna in olive oil. It's a tasty addition to any dish.

Ah, food diary for 2003 shows purchase from Tucson Co Warehouse for this nori. Yeah, I do too have a food diary from that far back. Comes in handy now and then!

Last edited by Zer; 01-05-2009 at 07:43 AM..
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 AM   #7
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Zer
Stats: 5'10"; 65; 508.7/_320.0_/199
WOE: Atkins: <5%Carb; J-UD/DD(<2798/560cals); 128ozH2O
Start Date: Got scale at 432.4(2/8/08); 376.8(2/8/09)
I keep forgetting to add a handful of nori noodles to my menu. Got to store the packets of nori where I see them. Out of sight is out of mind, I'm sorry to say.
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote