Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   My Cauliflower Lasagna (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/543888-my-cauliflower-lasagna.html)

cleochatra 02-26-2008 04:51 PM

My Cauliflower Lasagna

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...g?t=1204063581

My Cauliflower Lasagna

1 cup (about 5 ounces) cooked cauliflower, grated, riced or shredded
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
1 egg
* cup ricotta cheese (3.5 ounces)
3/4 cup tomato sauce or alfredo (6-7 ounces)
Toppings (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray the inside of a glass bread pan (9X3) with non-stick spray.

Mix prepared, riced cauliflower with one cup of the mozzarella and the egg in a bowl.

To arrange:

1. Layer the bottom with cup sauce. Distribute gently with a spoon. Do not add toppings yet.

2. Layer with 1/2 of the cauliflower mix. Press down very gently with fingers after distributing evenly.

3. Layer with 1/2 of the ricotta by dotting it on in small piles and then spreading slightly.

4. Add 1/2 of the remaining sauce. With a spoon, spread and slightly mix the two layers (ricotta and sauce) for better coverage.

5. Add half of the toppings you’ve prepared. (If there are none, proceed to the next step.)

6. Layer with of the mozzarella cheese.

7. Add the rest of the cauliflower mix and spread and press down gently. (I use my hands)

8. Add the rest of the sauce.

9. Add the rest of the toppings. (If there are none, proceed to the next step)

10. Add the rest of the ricotta and spread with a spoon as possible. It will be a little more bumpy, so no worries if the uniformity isn't there.

11. Add the rest of the mozzarella cheese.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, or until bubbly and the cheese is golden/brown. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.

Can be stored in the refrigerator or frozen and reheated.

*If you have no ricotta, you substitute cup cottage cheese (4 ounces), mixed with 2 tsp parsley and cup Parmesan cheese (2 ounces).

Serves 6-8. Can be doubled.

Nutritional Information for the base lasagna (toppings will change numbers).
With ricotta:

Nuritional information for each of 6 servings:
Calories: 166
Net Carbohydrates: 5
(Total Carbohydrates: 6
Fiber: 1g)
Protein: 15 g
Fat: 9 g

Nutritional Information for each of 8 servings:

Calories: 128
Net Carbohydrates: 3.5
(Total Carbohydrates: 4.5
Protein: 11 g
Fat: 7g

*With cottage cheese/parmesan blend:

Nutritional information for each of 6 servings:

Calories: 165
Net Carbohydrates: 5
(Total Carbohydrates: 6
Protein: 15 g
Fat: 9 g

Nutritional Information for each of 8 servings:

Calories: 123
Net Carbohydrates: 3.5
(Total Carbohydrates: 4.5
Protein: 11 g
Fat: 7g

Click here for more pictures and here for more recipes

babydollsea 02-26-2008 04:52 PM

I am making this tomorrow...Thank you sooooo much! You are so creative...Your pizza was fabulous, BTW! I made it for lunch!:clap:

cleochatra 02-26-2008 04:56 PM

I am so glad you like the pizza! Thank you! I hope you'll like the lasagna too!

AnitaLCing 02-26-2008 05:15 PM

Cleo...Please explain exactly what this tastes like. Doe it taste like high carb lasagna??
Can you taste the cauliflower? Not that I mind, but I would love to trick the kids!!

AnitaLCing 02-26-2008 05:16 PM

Oh what type of toppings did you use? It looks like olives and some meat?!? Green peppers?

tom_912 02-26-2008 05:30 PM

Cleo, i have a 9x13" lasagna in the oven, quadrupled your receipe like you suggested. It weighed 6lb 6oz :eek: I took pics and it should be done in a hour. I post em when I am able to cut it... me and Trish are both working till 3-6 nonstop so we'll have plenty of leftovers :D. I shredded 2 bags of cauli and have enough to make bread sticks if I have the energy later!

Thanks for the recipe!!!!!!!!!!! :hugs:

anniemo 02-26-2008 05:33 PM

looks great cleo! think i might make this tomorrow and see if the non-lc dp can taste the difference. he's a big italian fan. the pizza was delicious. there wasn't any left for him to try.

Wendy T 02-26-2008 05:48 PM

Wow, that lloks really good!

cleochatra 02-26-2008 05:52 PM

Anita-- My kids TOTALLY had no idea. I made a regular cauliflower lasagna with no toppings, and they were like, "YUM!" and then I told them what it was and they were like, "are you serious?" And then they ate more.

Toppings I used are as follows:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...g?t=1204073458

I made a rainbow (lol)

L-R: Chorizo, artichoke hearts, tomato, mushrooms, green peppers, red peppers, purple onion, black olives

cleochatra 02-26-2008 05:53 PM

tom-- a good lasagna always weighs a ton! Now let's hope it bakes all the way through! You might have to turn the temp down to 325...

CarolynF 02-26-2008 05:53 PM

http://i31.tinypic.com/353ctas.jpg

Do you ever use fresh cauliflower? or just frozen?

cleochatra 02-26-2008 05:57 PM

annie-- thank you so much! I am so glad you like this!

Thank you, oly! I made so much of it, LOL Want some?

cleochatra 02-26-2008 05:58 PM

LOL! Carolyn!!! I am positive you can use fresh. Just steam or boil until it's cooked and then shred or process. That cauliflower picture is hilarious!

Barbo 02-26-2008 06:34 PM

Fresh Cauliflower

Carolyn,

I made it with fresh and it turned out perfect. We could not taste any
cauliflower in the pizza. I'm sure you won't in the lasagne.

mac24312 02-26-2008 06:50 PM

I made it with Fresh for the pizza crust also..grated in my mini food processor then microwaved it for 5 min..perfect and no cauliflower taste! Taste like a regular crust to me..so it wont in the Lazagna also.

HUGS
Christina

tom_912 02-26-2008 07:15 PM

Super sized Lasagna

3 Attachment(s)
I made cleo's lasagna in a 9x13 pan, quadrupleing the receipe. The only change i made was to add 2 eggs to the ricotta cheese and season it (my mom made it that way). It weighed 6lb 6oz :eek:

I cooked at 325 for an hour and half putting a foil tent on it the last half.

It turned out perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG this is a winner.

Here are pics!

babydollsea 02-26-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom_912 (Post 9993180)
I made cleo's lasagna in a 9x13 pan, quadrupleing the receipe. The only change i made was to add 2 eggs to the ricotta cheese and season it (my mom made it that way). It weighed 6lb 6oz :eek:

I cooked at 325 for an hour and half putting a foil tent on it the last half.

It turned out perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG this is a winner.

Here are pics!

All I can say is WOW! I may quadruple too!

babydollsea 02-26-2008 07:40 PM

CLEO, Your blog "May the Oopsies Be With You" is so great...You are a howl!!!!:rofl:

Dedicated 02-26-2008 08:27 PM

All I can say is OOOOOmazing!:clap:

can't wait to have time to try it! Or someone can just bring me some:aprayer:

Purrgirl 02-26-2008 08:56 PM

This looks delicious. Great idea!

Yummy's_Girl 02-26-2008 09:06 PM

Hmm I wonder if I'd like this. I've only had cauliflower raw or cooked and mashed and I didn't like it either way.

H20Goddess 02-27-2008 07:10 AM

That looks lovely!

KellBell1234 02-27-2008 07:29 AM

man does this look good! I am going to make it this weekend for sure!

cleochatra 02-27-2008 08:15 AM

TOM! You have made me so happy! I was worried that the lasagna wouldn't cook, and that you had a disaster dinner and that it was all my fault (I was raised by a Jewish father-- the guilt was tremendous). :D

That looks fantastic! I like your adding the egg to the Ricotta. That would make it go farther and spread better, too!

I'm glad 325 worked. That's the time of the old Betty Crocker recipe I have, and I think it's probably better than the 350.

Sleepy 02-27-2008 08:49 AM

im definately making this this weekend :up:

babydollsea 02-27-2008 09:12 AM

Hi Cleo and everyone..

I just made the lasagna and it is in the oven. I also add egg to my Ricotta along with parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper. Growing up Italian...This is how we made our ravioli! I made marinara sauce with crushed tomates, garlic, fennel, basil, salt and pepper. I did add 2 splenda packets to fix the acitity of the tomatoes. I will show pics as soon as it comes out of the oven...
Can't wait!

Big Red 02-27-2008 09:27 AM

I am just drooling!!!!! :p

I have been on the M/E food plan for a little over a week because of a nasty stall,(yes it did break my stall) but as soon as I come off M/E I am going to try all these GREAT looking, WONDERFULLY presented, BEAUTIFULLY designed meals that Cleo comes up with!!!!!!

babydollsea 02-27-2008 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by babydollsea (Post 9995197)
Hi Cleo and everyone..

I just made the lasagna and it is in the oven. I also add egg to my Ricotta along with parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper. Growing up Italian...This is how we made our ravioli! I made marinara sauce with crushed tomates, garlic, fennel, basil, salt and pepper. I did add 2 splenda packets to fix the acitity of the tomatoes. I will show pics as soon as it comes out of the oven...
Can't wait!

Mmmmmmmm......:p

babydollsea 02-27-2008 04:10 PM

It was excellent!!!! Thanks Cleo!

Brendajm 02-27-2008 05:01 PM

Ok, I just can't stand it. I am going to the store in the morning and they better have some cauliflower. I got to have this lazagna. I have been on induction for a while now and have indulged too much and now i got to start getting back on track.. This looks great..I made the oopsie rolls a few weeks ago and I loved eating sandwiches again.. thanks