Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
The cauliflower lasagna was awesome. I think it's company worthy, but I wouldn't call it lasagna. I'd call it Italian casserole or something like that, so they don't spend time looking in vain for the noodles. I made a few slight changes. First I added 3 cooked sliced hot Italian sausages to the layers. Also I used a pizza sauce, which is thicker (and more carbs unfortunately) than the Hunt's No Sugar Spaghetti sauce. In addition, I left out the spices in the cauliflower mixture. The texture was perfect. The taste was wonderful. Will definitely do again Thank you, Cleo.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #62
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Thank you, Christine! I can't wait to hear what you think about the pizza and the lasagna!

Soobee, that sounds wonderful! I love your changes. I am coming over for lunch.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:36 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alison Jean 71
Stats: 159/121/119 5'6" 40yrs
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: January 3, 2004
I made the lasagna and it is definitely a keeper. 10 yr old DD loved it. She is NOT a veggie eater so it was a good way to get her to try something new.
Alison Jean 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I made this this weekend. The husband said it was "fantastic" and that I could serve it to company. I quite liked it too, though I think my cauliflower layers were too thin and did not have quite the right texture. This might be because I used a shredded italian cheese blend instead of straight Mozzarella.

I'll definitely make it again though, because nobody tasted any cauliflower and it was a tasty handy meal to have on hand. I bet it will freeze beautifully, and who doesn't want a nice WOE friendly casserole in their freezer?
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #65
something there

Alison-- I am so glad!! Thank you so much for letting me know!

steph-- I wonder--- I think the Italian cheese blend is perfect for the pizza, but for the lasagna I've had slightly better luck with mozzarella. Still, we could always double or level it up by a third for a more substantial layering. I just wasn't sure about overcheesing!

Do you think that would be an issue?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
steph-- I wonder--- I think the Italian cheese blend is perfect for the pizza, but for the lasagna I've had slightly better luck with mozzarella. Still, we could always double or level it up by a third for a more substantial layering. I just wasn't sure about overcheesing!

Do you think that would be an issue?
You know, I've been thinking about this all day. (Obviously, I don't want to think about the pile of editing work I have to do. As an Italian girl, fantasizing about how to improve my lasagna is more fun.) I think the casserole was quite good the way it was, and it came out in a nice substantial square when I ate the leftovers today. Most impressively, the lasagna was not too wet--which is often a problem with cabbage lasagna.

My feeling was actually that I wanted to increase the proportion of cauliflower rather than cheese, and I was playing in my head with the notion of a stiffer binder than egg. (In my high carb days, I would add the egg to the ricotta to make a firmer ricotta layer, and I may do that again here.)

The best part of this recipe is that it uses ingredients that anyone would have on hand or at the grocery store, so I'd hate to mangle it with a specialty item, but since we're huge fans of the nutritional profile of carbalose flour, I may experiment a little!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alison Jean 71
Stats: 159/121/119 5'6" 40yrs
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: January 3, 2004
Had leftovers for lunch today. Everyone wanted to know what I was eating!! They kept saying , "YOU eat lasagna?" Yep Yep Yep! I then called home and told DH not to touch the rest of it that it was all mine. I am taking it again for lunch tomorrow (I did double the recipe). DD loved it and cannot stop saying she likes cauliflower now! ha ha. She even wants to make something for a cooking contest at school. If I could find a way for her to safely grate the cauliflower I would consider it (with Cleo's permission of course). This as well as the pizza are FANTASTIC recipes. Next on my list are the breadsticks. I cannot say enough about it. Thanks Cleo.
Alison Jean 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:12 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CopperTop
Stats: 178/131.2/130
WOE: Moderate carb/protein/fat
Start Date: January 15, 2006
I made this over the week-end and it's fantastic.
I added italian sausage, peppers and onions and I also added an extra egg and some parmesan to the ricotta.

This is a keeper!!!

Thanks Cleo!!!
CopperTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bwylde
Stats: (405 highest) 385/365/200
WOE: Low Carb, TOPS
Start Date: January 2014
Made this and LOVED IT!! Even DH loved it! It wasn't any harder than making a regular lasagna so I made two, we ate one and I froze the other. I'm going to a dinner this Thursday where they are serving lasagna so I'll bring my low carb one so my friend and I can indulge too
bwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:26 AM   #70
something there

Thanks, guys! I am so glad you like it! It is so nice hearing your thoughts, feedback and kudos!

steph-- I agree. It's an easy recipe to play with due to the easily-available ingredients. I'm too lazy to specialty shop, so if I don't have it on hand, I don't expect anyone else to (generally).
Old 03-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gelleaux
Stats: 215/185/150
Start Date: March 2007
Well, if this just didn't turn my shopping list for tomorrow upside down. This looks amahhhzing, Cleo!

Couple of questions:

What kind of tomato sauce did you use? Regular plain old sauce, or more of a spaghetti type sauce? For whatever reason, my regular grocery store has stopped selling the sugar-free spaghetti sauce, so I need to think of good substitutions.

Also, I would have never thought of using chorizo for the meat component, but my foodie brain totally gets how that would work. How much did you use for your recipe?

We're already locked into steak with mushrooms and salad for dinner tomorrow night, but your lasagna looks like a real winner for Sunday dinner!
Gelleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:39 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I used Hunt's Pizza sauce for my lasagna, because it's really thick. It's 28 carbs per can, however, so I don't know if you think it's worth it. One can made 2 lasagna batches, or a 9 x9 inch square pan full.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:15 AM   #73
something there

I use pizza sauce because it tends to be lower in carbs. That or Newman's Own sauces because they're quality sauces.

Chorizowise, I probably used only about a cup at the most. With all of the other toppings, there was already so much, I didn't want to overmeat the lasagna.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lilymo
Stats: 240/240/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb. 2011/Jan. 2014
Making the lasagna as we speak I can't wait! Thanks cleo!
lilymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbcat01
Stats: 190/170/149 5'9"
WOE: Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: November 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilymo View Post
Making the lasagna as we speak I can't wait! Thanks cleo!
Me too, Lilymo! I just logged in to get the order of the ingredients right in the pan. I can't wait to try this!
Barbcat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lilymo
Stats: 240/240/150
Start Date: Feb. 2011/Jan. 2014
Oh My Gosh is that good! Even better the next day as leftovers! Wow! I can't wait to try the pizza and breadsticks. Wow!
lilymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #77
something there

I'm so glad you guys like them!

I love the lasagna and the pizza. My 7 year old loves the bread sticks. A very picky autistic friend of my son's came to my house and ate two of the bread sticks and loved them. LOL! My son told me, "I never told him what they were made of."

Gee, thanks! :^)
Old 03-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #78
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: greannmhar
The cauli lasagne was terrific.
I cooked the lasagne 'pasta' first in a large rectangular tray and just cut it in half to lay over the other layers in a one-piece effort. Worked a treat and meant it had a firmer texture, held up better and avoided having to work it over the wet sause/ricotta.
I also use 1 heaped T of oat fiber in the dough, both for the lasagne and the pizza. I find it makes a big difference.
Babs
greannmhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lickrish
Start Date: May 12th 07
Made this for dinner and at first I was iffy because I tasted it as soon as it came out of the oven just to try it before feeding it to family at first I wasn't sure I liked it but as it set, it got much better. I made a double batch and still have 1/2 of it left after feeding my family. That's pretty good for us.

Will be eating this for lunch.

I think I like the pizza more but thats because it's just too good! But the lasagna is a keeper to even my 2 year old son ate it!
Lickrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #80
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: RoxanneRoxanne
I made a double batch last night and it is practically GONE! My 16 year old nephew had a double helping and kept telling me how delicious it was. My husband was very complimentary as well. I brought some with me for lunch today. I have a feeling that me and my husband are going to have a struggle over who gets the last little bit of it tonight for dinner!
RoxanneRoxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:02 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made your cauliflower lasagna again this weekend. This time I made the noodles ahead of time, just as you suggested. The lasagna was wonderful. I like it both ways. This way might be easier to palm off on some unsuspecting high carber.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #82
something there

I am so glad you liked the lasagna!

I also have a new recipe where you can make actual noodles ahead of time. This is an easy recipe, and the noodles can also be used for lasagna roll-ups or other strip noodle recipes.

Lasagna with noodles.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stewcarol
How long is the prep time for this? It is sounding delicious, but a little ambitious.
stewcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #84
something there

stewcarol-- To me, the most intensive part of any lasagna is chopping ingredients. The noodles weren;t any more work than when I make noodles from scratch on a high-carb plan.

The original recipe in this thread is even easier, since instead of making the noodles before the fact, one is simply pressing the mixture out between layers.

I have two methods for two types of cooks.