Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sappl38220
Stats: 198/190/140
WOE: general lo carb
Start Date: on & off since Dec '99
Made it a couple of days ago...hubby and teenage dd loved it. Very good recipe, thank you, this will be a life saver. I used the garlic flavored cauliflower in the steam bags, that added a little more flavor, Yum.
sappl38220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LESSOFME
Stats: 20/12/10 5'10"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 1/03/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sappl38220 View Post
Made it a couple of days ago...hubby and teenage dd loved it. Very good recipe, thank you, this will be a life saver. I used the garlic flavored cauliflower in the steam bags, that added a little more flavor, Yum.
Great idea!!
LESSOFME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imjoyful
Stats: 220/ *ugh* /170
WOE: CAD
Start Date: June 2007
dagnabbit...

I decided to make the bread sticks for the first time out.. got it in the oven, baked, took it out... I used a nonstick loaf pan pammed up, and even with loosening the edges, when I flipped it over onto the cookie sheet, the middle stuck to the pan and the ends came out!

Shoot... so much for fooling my kids today... I salvaged what I could and got it in the oven with the mozz on it so we'll see how good it tastes when it comes out!

What did I do wrong, Cleo? Did I not wait long enough for it to cool a little more before I took it out of the loaf pan?

(I have 3 bags of cauliflower so I'll try again!!!)

ETA: I'm not a big fan of cauliflower but this is pretty darn good Cleo! Thanks for sharing! They might not LOOK like breadsticks but they taste great!

Last edited by imjoyful; 03-01-2008 at 12:09 PM..
imjoyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tecnokitty
Stats: 222/125/150 After Baby/Now:241/145/150
WOE: Atkins 72, I'm 5'7", 36 years old
Start Date: Restarted 6/22/07. In a size 4-6 jeans now!
I tried to get away with not enough motz cause I didn;t have enough and I also do not think I baked the breadsticks long enough at 350 before trying to dump them out to cut. Once we do our grocery shopping and I pick up some more motz I'll give them another try. The pizza is DELISH and my whole family loves it. My 22 month old ate 1/4 of the pie himself and that was even after he had eaten 2 other dinners..lol.
Tecnokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lickrish
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 12th 07
I loved the breadsticks too and they looked like breadsticks. I tasted them before adding anything to the tops and they tasted a bit like hashbrown patties so I think I'll use them as that sometimes. Maybe I'll put cheddar in the recipe instead of the motz.
Lickrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #126
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
imjoyful-- I'm sorry they stuck! sometimes I'm wondering if it's possible that the altitude difference means anything?! Mine sometimes stick a little. It's hard knowing why. They don't always turn out pretty, but I'm glad they don't taste like cauliflower! LOL
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #127
something there

By the way, I need a favor. If you wouldn't mind clicking this link to the recipe, it would show my editors at the Denver Post/Rocky Mountain News that there is an interest in low-carb cooking and humor. You don't have to register or leave a comment. Just click the link, nod your head, say, "Hmmm... that chick with the funny look is a familiar one", and I'll be forever thankful. This is the next step towards hopefully finding long-term and gainful employ as a writer in the Denver area!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetAsSplenda
Stats: Size 12/0-1/0
WOE: Healthy low carb
Start Date: March 2, 2007
I'm making this for dinner tomorrow night...finally got all the ingredients (including a grater, we didn't even have one!). As soon as I saw it on your blog Cleo, drool started falling on the keyboard..
hope it's great, I'm making it with just cheese and turkey pepperoni to start.
SweetAsSplenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #129
something there

Sweet-- It is awesome with just cheese and pepperoni~! That is what I used for my first one! Thanks so much for the drool!
Old 03-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
By the way, I need a favor. If you wouldn't mind clicking this link to the recipe, it would show my editors at the Denver Post/Rocky Mountain News that there is an interest in low-carb cooking and humor. You don't have to register or leave a comment. Just click the link, nod your head, say, "Hmmm... that chick with the funny look is a familiar one", and I'll be forever thankful. This is the next step towards hopefully finding long-term and gainful employ as a writer in the Denver area!
I gladly clicked. Just keep those lil wheels turning out some more yummy recipes. jk
Old 03-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChloeKatz
Today was an "all Cleo" day for me. Breakfast was 2 Oopsie's with peanut butter plus bacon on the side. Lunch was your egg drop soup. Dinner was your amazing pizza. I made a triple recipe and used a jelly roll pan. It worked perfectly and made 20 good-sized pieces. My DH loved it! We have about half leftover for tomorrow. I can't wait to try it again with different toppings. We used cheese, pepperoni and mushrooms today. Next time DH wants alfredo, spinach and chicken.
ChloeKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #132
something there

I promise. The wheels are always working. Thank you!

Chloe-- Wow! that sounds really good! I love your toppings!

LOL! An all Cleo day. I was about to say, "What? Bad hair and big hips?"
Old 03-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #133
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
I posted this in the recipe board also.

I'm having trouble with my cauliflower pizza crust.

I just boiled a 16 oz bag of frozen cauliflower. I put it in my 3 cup mini food chopper to try to "rice" it and it turned to mush!

I was afraid this was going to happen. Looks like I'm going to have to get fresh cauliflower and rice it first and then cook it.

Has anyone else had trouble with this?
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

sounds like you over pulsed it. Did you try using it anyways? Just curious of the results. Theres lots of things you can do with mushy cauliflower lol so keep it!

I used my mini food processor/chopper and when I saw some of it was getting done and the rest wasn't I dumped it out into a bowl picked out the chunks and then did those again. Mine is tiny so it takes a few "loads" to get all the cauliflower done. I wouldn't put too much in at once if its a mini.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #135
something there

Dreamchaser-- Give a shot to shredding the 3 cups with a wider-holed cheese grater once the cauliflower is cooked and then cooled slightly. It's really quick, easy and painless.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Dreamchaser-- Give a shot to shredding the 3 cups with a wider-holed cheese grater once the cauliflower is cooked and then cooled slightly. It's really quick, easy and painless.
cheese graters painless? I must be doing it wrong. jk

I can't stand the cheese graters that you have to slide your poor fingers up and down on so I got one of those that you stick the cheese in and it has the the "crank" kinda handle. I'm kinda a hazard around sharp things. lol I cook all the time but I can cut myself with a plastic knife and I have!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #137
something there

I hear you. I have a major cut on my arm and I have no clue how it got there. I am thinking there were Ninjas involved.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #138
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickrish View Post
sounds like you over pulsed it. Did you try using it anyways? Just curious of the results. Theres lots of things you can do with mushy cauliflower lol so keep it!

I used my mini food processor/chopper and when I saw some of it was getting done and the rest wasn't I dumped it out into a bowl picked out the chunks and then did those again. Mine is tiny so it takes a few "loads" to get all the cauliflower done. I wouldn't put too much in at once if its a mini.
No, I didn't use it anyway. I just threw it out. I didn't want any mushy cauliflower. I was bummed because I was in the mood for pizza! I did put a lot of cauliflower in my mini chopper at once, so maybe that was part of the problem.

Quote:
I can try that. Thanks cleo.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #139
ew1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ew1
I've cooked the cauliflower (steamed).
This is on the menu for tonight or tomorrow.
Cleo, thank you for putting the nutritional stats on your blog recipes. I am using TheDailyPlate.com and these allow me to track my foods
ew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Well the crust is in the oven right now. it already smells great! I had to make a double recipe to cover the bottom of the pizza pan I use when I make Linda's deep dish pizza. I just hope it doesn't stick
Old 03-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Cleo --- It was great!! Even my DH loved it. He ate 3 pieces! Thanks!!
Old 03-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #142
something there

Woohoo! I'm so glad!!! Thanks so much for checking in. I was waiting to hear what you thought!

ew1-- I was lucky that someone reminded me that I'd left off some of the nutritional information. I also added information for folks with lactose intolerance. I didn't know that soy cheese was such awesome stuff.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #143
ew1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ew1
I'm sorry that I don't have pix to upload but I made the cauliflower pizza tonight with pepperoni, mushrooms and a little onion as toppings.YUM!!
I ate half of it for dinner (2 slices) and am taking the rest to work tomorrow for lunch.
ew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #144
something there

ew-- I love mushrooms. Yummo! You need to eat lunch with me. My maw always made me tuna fish.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helens
Stats: Biggest/Big/130
WOE: Atkins Induction 1-21-08
You might try shredding the cauliflower with a Salad Shooter using the blade that is for grating cheese. It has large holes in it and works fantastic for shooting cheese onto a pizza, so would probably work just fine for the cauliflower, although I haven't tried it personally for that particular use. It IS on my list of things to try...really it is!

I've made a similar pizza crust, but used grated zucchini. Here's the recipe, found somewhere on the internet, if anyone wants to give it a try. We really liked it. If you have any ideas on what to sub for the flour I'd like to hear them...cream cheese?

Zucchini Pizza

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups grated zucchini
3 eggs, well beaten
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup chopped black olives
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
(or just sprinkle top of pizza with Italian Seasoning)
3 to 4 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
salt and pepper, to taste

PREPARATION:
Generously butter a 9x13-inch baking pan. (I used a round pizza pan, sprayed generously with Pam)
Preheat oven to 450°.
Put grated zucchini in a colander and press out as much excess liquid as possible.
Put zucchini in a mixing bowl. Add well-beaten eggs & flour.

Mix well and spread in buttered pan.
Bake in a 450° oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove pan and reduce oven temperature to 350°.
Cover the zucchini base with cheese.
Combine ripe olives, onion, and chopped pickled peppers.
Spread over cheese.
Sprinkle with fresh or dried herbs.
Arrange tomatoes on top.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake at 350°, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Serves 3 or 4.
helens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: charmcitygirl
Stats: 247.2/240.2/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-start 1/9/2012
hi cleo...i finally made the cauliflower crust tonight...had it topped simply with cheese & pepperoni...it was delicious...and my picky 12 y/o son loved it!
he doesn't like many vegetables...and this is a great way to sneak his veggies in

i used my mini food processor with the shred blade...got a great consistency on the cauliflower.

after reading the posts about the crust sticking to the baking sheet...i decided to line my pizza pan with easy-release foil...the crust came out perfectly and didn't stick...and i didn't have to use any cooking spray on it.

thanks again for your wonderful recipe!!!
charmcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alison Jean 71
Stats: 159/121/119 5'6" 40yrs
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: January 3, 2004
Here is a compliment Cleo- I came home today and 10yr old DD wants to enter a cooking contest at school and she wants to make cauliflower pizza! I don't think I will let her due to having to shred the cauliflower but that is just how good this recipe is!!
Alison Jean 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: marymc
I'm in this pizza experiment too. I used fresh cauliflower and shredded the whole head in the food processor before I cooked it. Then I stuck the bowl in the microwave covered for about 6 minutes with no liquid and let it cool down a bit. I don't think you should mix it with the egg and cheese while its too hot. I was in a hurry and did, mine created some liquid and I think that's why. So I did let it sit and drain in a colander for a bit. Made 6 mini pizzas out of half of the "dough" the first time, but I had it too thick. Wrapped the other half in paper towels and plastic wrap and stored in the fridge. It sat in there a few hours before I decided to give this another try. I just made a full pizza on a smaller 12" pizza pan and spread it out much thinner this time. I did not turn the pizza over. The pizza edges turned out nice and crispy but it's got a soft hand to it overall. I think it was much crisper before I topped it and put it under the broiler, so I'm wondering if just high oven temp might do better. I do have some pics and will try to post them soon. My second attempt was much better, but I can taste the cauliflower so definitely need some seasonings in the cauli to mask that. I did not use any in this batch of "dough." Well, hope this helps!

ETA: I used a whole head of cauliflower, shredded raw, 1 cup of pre-shredded mozzarella, a handful of parmesean and 2 eggs in the dough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
No, I didn't use it anyway. I just threw it out. I didn't want any mushy cauliflower. I was bummed because I was in the mood for pizza! I did put a lot of cauliflower in my mini chopper at once, so maybe that was part of the problem.

I can try that. Thanks cleo.

Last edited by marymc; 03-03-2008 at 09:26 PM..
marymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:54 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: marymc
[COLOR="Indigo"]As promised here are the pictures of my pizza experiments and opinion/review!

I used a whole head of fresh cauliflower, no seasonings, 1 cup of mozzarella and two eggs, which I split into two batches.

First pic is of the raw cauliflower before cooking after being shredded in the food processor. I then cooked it covered for 6 minutes in the microwave. The next picture is of the cooked cauliflower with the cheese and egg mixed in. Looks kinda like scrambled eggs. Then the mini pizza crust cooked and the mini topped and cooked the second time. The minis were too thick, so if I do those again they will be MUCH thinner. Side Note: I did discover that I would really like these minis cooked this way just plain by themselves as a side dish however!

Next is a larger pizza made on a small 12" teflon pizza pan sprayed with EVOO cooking spray. First picture is the rest of the microwave steamed cauliflower "dough" spread very thinly. I formed sort of an edge to it. Next is the oven baked, undressed dough which I did not turn over - after about 40-45 minutes in a 450 degree oven. I made up my own pizza sauce with a can of tomato sauce, a tablespoon of tomato paste, garlic powder, a heaping teaspoon of Sugar Twin and italian seasoning, simmered for 15 minutes. The last two are of the finished pizza after being topped and returned to the oven under the broiler. It did not stick at all and lifted easily from the pan when I transferred it over to the cutting board.

Now me, I could still taste the cauliflower. But I didn't use any seasonings in or on the "dough" to mask the flavor, because I first wanted to try it plain. And I happen to like cauliflower anyway. And while the edges of the pizza were nice and crispy as you see it's overall soft to the hand but no problem to hold.

I think rather than putting it under the broiler for the second cooking, that next time I'll try it back into a very hot oven after adding the toppings. The broiler seemed to me to soften it and didn't give the crust enough time to warm back up either after being out of the oven long enough for me to top it. Just a thought for next time.

I definitely liked the larger pizza much better than the minis I made but I will give it another go with seasonings in or on the crust dough. I will tell you though, DH is not a veggie eater and there is no way that I would "trick" him with this one. For me however, this is an acceptable substitute and while not really like real pizza to me (purist that I am and all) the second experiment was pretty tasty and is a keeper! Hope this helps somebody... but remember. It is only my opinion. YMMV[/COLOR]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1454.jpg (36.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg img_1458.jpg (33.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg img_1471.jpg (55.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg img_1473.jpg (55.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg img_1476.jpg (31.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg img_1482.jpg (42.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg img_1486.jpg (61.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg img_1488.jpg (42.2 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by marymc; 03-04-2008 at 05:06 AM..
marymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:58 AM   #150
something there

Thank you guys so much for the positive comments and the kind words.

I'm having pizza for breakfast and it is so delicious, even cold! I am constantly amazed at how well this recipe continues to perform.