Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: marymc
The "Original" Ooopsie Roll a/k/a Diet Revolution Rolls

Okay, I'm sure this will need to get moved to the recipe section but I have seen posts all over the place where people are confused about making substitutions to the Oopsie Rolls (such as doing mayo or cottage cheese) so thought I would post this in the main lobby to start.

The ORIGINAL Atkins recipe (for what everybody now calls Oopsie Rolls), is actually called the Diet Revolution Rolls. It originally called for 3 tablespoons of cottage cheese. The oopsies (with the cream cheese) are a variation of that original recipe. So thought I'd post the original BASIC recipe from the book and hopefully that will help clear up the confusion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(The Original) Basic Diet Revolution Rolls
Straight from the 1972 Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution book
Makes 6 rolls

Pam spray
3 eggs separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons cottage cheese
1 package of Sugar Twin*

1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Separate eggs very carefully (make sure that none of the yolk gets into the whites.)
3. Spray Pam on a Teflon cookie sheet.**
4. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until whites are stiff but not dry.
5. Fold in yolks, cottage cheese and Sugar Twin*** (Be extremely careful not to break down the egg whites. Mix for no more than 1 minute.)
6. Place the mixture carefully on the Teflon cookie sheet, gently putting one tablespoon full on top of another until each “roll” is about 2 inches high. Repeat this until you have 6 piles.
7. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for about 1 hour.****

Total carbs 3.1; grams per serving .5
~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTES since its publication:

*can substitute Splenda or your preferred sweetener
**muffin top pan works fantastic for this
***recommend blending these ingredients together first before folding in
****cooking times in variations range from 30 minutes to 1 hour

VARIATIONS TO THE BASIC ROLLS since its publications:

Instead of cottage cheese, replace with:

3 tablespoons mayonnaise, OR
3 tablespoons ricotta cheese, OR
3 ounces of cream cheese

Last edited by marymc; 02-20-2008 at 04:16 PM..
marymc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cleochatra's Best Ever RevolOopsie Rolls

VARIATION

Cleochatra's Best Ever RevolOopsie Rolls

3 large eggs
1 pkg Splenda
dash of salt
pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp!) Do not soften!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Makes 6@ about 85 calories a piece, >1 carb per
Old 02-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alcmene
Stats: 1st:196//125 Now:170/157/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2007
Thanks for that, it's good to see it written down.

I first made a Revolution Roll in 2005, and I used cream cheese. Then I tried them with mayo and cottage cheese and all sorts, the recipe and its many variations has been around quite a few years.
Alcmene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Rory
Stats: 20W/14M/8
Cleo's original name for her variation is Revol-oopsie roll due to it being a mistake while making the Revolution Rolls. I'm just too lazy to spell it out. I think she's been pretty upfront about where the recipe's come from. Her devoted minions however may need a history lesson.
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I LOVE the oopsie rolls, though sometimes I worry about the amount of cheese. Maybe Cleo can invent another one which is somewhere in between!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Rory
Stats: 20W/14M/8
Portion control dahling portion control!
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emitch
Stats: 310/205/145
WOE: RNY June 2009/Moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcmene View Post
I LOVE the oopsie rolls, though sometimes I worry about the amount of cheese. Maybe Cleo can invent another one which is somewhere in between!
Use mayo I use Duke's mayo in mine
emitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Well I like to mix. My fave combo at the moment is half cream cheese and half cottage cheese.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I am an oopsie purist, but I can only eat these a few times per week because they're so rich. Cream cheesewise, the fat is what makes them so supple, and three ounces of C is less calorie-wise, than three ounces of mayo. But you could try a 50/50 and see what happens!

There is a wonderful Chipotle mayonnaise out now that I'm going to try with cream cheese in the oopsies.

Thanks, Rory! I have been very upfront that the recipe is an extreme error. But shucks-- it's so good! Until then, I'd never been able to have a proper burger. Revolution Rolls are terrible (I've been eating them off and on since '84--I'm a second generation Atkineer), and when I biffed these, initially, my first reaction was, "HOLY CRAP! These taste better than I remember."

That's when I realized I screwed up the recipe.

I went back and made the original recipe, and it was crap. We threw them away, and I've been making oopsies ever since.

Now, with the intelligence, charm and good cooking skills of folks here, these have been used in so many ways (I think in part due to their savory and pliable nature) that I'm just really surprised and impressed!

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I also prefer them with mayo and I use Duke's also since it is the only sugar free mayo I have found here locally. The mayo makes a pretty substantial bun that holds up well but doesn't have the carbs that are in cottage cheese or cream cheese. I had not tried the cream cheese because I haven't been doing cream cheese, however... I had some leftover cream cheese from my "sick" week last week that I allowed myself so thought I'd give them a try. They just came out the oven.

Alcmene, I just watched your video doing the rolls and you are just adorable! The camera definitely loves you and you should consider doing some low carb recipes. That would be awesome.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cleo, I agree you were up front about how you discovered the Oopsie but I keep seeing people posting "I wonder if I could substitute cottage cheese (or fill in the blank) in the oopsies" and it was driving me crazy, so that is why I thought I would post the original Revolution Roll recipe that had cottage cheese.

That said, I just had a couple of slices of turkey on an oopsie from my first batch of cream cheese oopsie rolls and it was pretty good. You are right, with cream cheese they are a bit more dry and "bready." I still think I prefer the mayo ones because the mayo seems to moisten and flavor them more to me and I'm not worried about calories really - mostly the carbs. Course I also happen to be one of the wierdos that likes the original recipe with cottage cheese too!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
something there

It's definitely YMMV, isn't it?! lol

Thanks for helping to clear the air between oopsies and the original RR's.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah... it was driving me crazy... I can definitely see how the Oopsie using cream cheese would hold up as a pizza crust like on that recent thread. I don't think any of the other variations would be able to stand up as a pizza crust. I love thin crust pizza so one day I am gonna try that Oopsie pizza by spreading the batch out super thin over two pizza pans and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
It's definitely YMMV, isn't it?! lol

Thanks for helping to clear the air between oopsies and the original RR's.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

bump
Old 02-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ShadyLola
mann
ShadyLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hey Mary,

May I ask some questions?

My Ooooopsies come out so airy and meringue-y inside that I can't see how they can hold up as people describe. Mine are golden rather than browned and I bake them 30-40 minutes.

I was wondering if you used 3 TBS of mayo or 3 OUNCES?
And how long do you bake yours? Which texture do you prefer and which holds up better, the 3 ozs of cream cheese or the mayo?

Thank you!
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MountainGirl, I'm no expert, believe me! And I don't usually do the Oopsies with cream cheese because of the higher carbs and the fact that cream cheese stalls me. I generally use that original Revolution Roll recipe above with cottage cheese.

The last few times I did them with 3 tablespoons of Duke's sugar free mayo instead. I still cook them at the 300 degrees but for longer than Oopsies, shorter than the original recipe. It's going to depend on your oven but I'd say let them go at least 45 to 50 minutes. I have an oven thermometer inside my oven now and I found out using that thermometer that it sometimes takes my oven longer to come up to temperature than I thought it did.

After trying the Oopsie version tonight with the cream cheese they definitely are more dry and with a texture most like bread to me. It sounds like your egg whites were really fluffy because mine were definitely not airy and meringue-y inside. Were the whites still "wet" when you finished beating them, or were they dry? I cooked the Oopsies with cream cheese exactly 30 minutes tonight.

Personally, I like all of these versions! I think each version has its place and it's really something that you'll have to experiment with I guess. I found the mayo ones much sturdier than the original cottage cheese, but less dry than the cream cheese. I think the key with the mayo ones is that since the mayo is a bit oily, you have to cook them longer than the Oopsies, like at least 45/50 minutes, maybe even up to an hour. The Oopsies seem to cook very fast. Hope this helps!

Last edited by marymc; 02-20-2008 at 06:44 PM..
Old 02-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I wanted to add but forgot...

With the original cottage cheese recipe, I DO find that to be the version I would most describe as "airy and meringue-y inside." I like those the most slathered with butter as a side to eggs at breakfast. It's interesting that your cream cheese version turned out that way. I wonder if maybe your oven wasn't hot enough and they ended up a little undercooked maybe?? I think the cream cheese ones should have been much more sturdy and dry, like bread, which is perfect for a sandwich or crust. The mayo ones are kind of in between that dry and mushy texture and work great with cold cuts for a sandwich or for an egg sandwich.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Mary, I appreciate the feedback. I just can't get a consistently good roll like everyone raves about. I think I need to work on them some more. Thank you for the tips. I'd also rather use mayo than cream cheese.

My egg whites were very fluffy at not at all wet. I let them go in the KA with a beater. I'll check my oven temp. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 02-20-2008 at 06:56 PM..
Old 02-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You know, I just thought of something...

Are you going on the texture when they are cooled?
'Cuz I ate one right from the oven and it was mushy inside, but I let the others sit and cool for about an hour and they have settled and become more sturdy. Is this the correct texture?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #21
something there

I never eat mine right from the oven. I think they're too mushy. I prefer mine after they air out (the oopsies, that is)...
Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I never eat mine right from the oven. I think they're too mushy. I prefer mine after they air out (the oopsies, that is)...
Cleochatra,
I think that's my answer! Thank you! I appreciate the help.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #23
something there

Mountain-- one day I made the unfortunate attempt at grabbing oopsies fresh from the oven and running to Wendy's for a Baconator. It was pretty gross because the buns hadn't 'set up' yet. I really think the cooling process--for me--is as important as the baking process. I have to have dry, cooled oopsies or I'm not a happy girl.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, I think they all firm up a bit once they cool. Now, if you happen to refrigerate them and then try to warm them to take the chill off, they all seem to get a bit spongy textured to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
You know, I just thought of something...

Are you going on the texture when they are cooled?
'Cuz I ate one right from the oven and it was mushy inside, but I let the others sit and cool for about an hour and they have settled and become more sturdy. Is this the correct texture?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bethanyblondie
Stats: 255/173/140
WOE: I have the Lap Band/Atkin's
Start Date: Restarted 1/28/2013
My husband and I have both made the Oopsie rolls and our batter was always really runny and would just spread out on the cookie sheet. They definitely must take some practice to perfect them! I haven't made any since my first attempt...I need to try again!
Bethanyblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah Bethany... being a baker, if Atkins had written in the original recipe to whip the egg whites until you have a nice stiff meringue like for a pie, I would've gotten it right the first time for pete's sake!! The directions weren't clear and with no pictures I had no idea where I was going with this! My first batch was well, also quite a mess and pretty hilarious now that I think about it! If you can take your bowl of whipped whites and turn it completely upside down with nothing falling out, you're in business! Just fold in the other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanyblondie View Post
My husband and I have both made the Oopsie rolls and our batter was always really runny and would just spread out on the cookie sheet. They definitely must take some practice to perfect them! I haven't made any since my first attempt...I need to try again!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: luckiangel
Stats: 316/293/150
WOE: Atkins/Lower Carb
Start Date: 2003-ongoing
i made oopsie's the first time and they did great! i think climate and humidity has a lot to do with how they come out. the kitchen got hot one day and it was harder to get the whites to stiffen. I've also started a thread in the recipe forum.....hoping to be able to get people to share their recipes and what they used to make the rolls. Hasn't started out too good but i will maybe continue to post my own......cleo maybe you can put your recipe there too? i think it is important that others know how certain things are being made so that there isn't that much confusion about it. anyway..here's the link.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ml#post9963582
Old 02-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: luckiangel
Stats: 316/293/150
WOE: Atkins/Lower Carb
Start Date: 2003-ongoing
nevermind about the thread...it's not there anymore...i got discouraged earlier and asked cheri to delete it.
luckiangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:07 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: camcam
Stats: 230/190/180
WOE: Atkins / Low Sugar
Start Date: January 9, 2008
Thanks for this thread - I have been searching (not too hard though) for the oopsie receipe. I have been making revolution rolls and I love them - I can't wait to try batches with cc and mayo.

I made a batch of revolution rolls two nights ago and found, with me, if I doubled my receipe - my egg whites firmed up so much quicker and didn't break down as much. My only problem is that they don't last long...my batch made 6 rolls and I ate them for breakfast lunch and dinner!
camcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #30
something there

H2O Goddess just posted an oopsie pizza recipe. (<---other oopsie recipes are here as well)

The cream cheese does net such a different result than RR's!