Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
If you miss cereal...Joseph's Lavash Bread as Cereal

I tried making this yesterday and the results were quite amazing. I cut up a sheet of Joseph's Lavash Bread into 64 squares (about 1" X1"), soaked the squares in Toasted Marshmallow Davinci SF Syrup, (vanilla would work) for about 15 minutes. I baked them on parchment (don't try it without parchment or a silicon baking mat), at 325 for 15 minutes. They weren't quite crisp enough for me, so I turned the oven off and left them in until the oven cooled, to remove all the moisture. The result was a delicious cereal, similar to Cinnamon Toast squares (without the cinnamon, but you could sprinkle it on before baking, if you like that type of cereal). This makes about 1 1/2 cups of cereal for 8 net carbs. I ate half this morning with Hood's calorie countdown milk. It tasted just like Lucky Charms.

If you miss cereal, this will definitely do the trick.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
I'm his Princess

Gallery: Dedicated
Stats: Goal is a Healthy Weight!
WOE: Clean Eating!
Start Date: Everyday!
This sounds good...might have to try this
Dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Princess

Gallery: JillyBug
OMG - thank you!!

It DOES taste like Cinnamon Toast Crunch!
JillyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: laceylady
Stats: 16w(210)/size 14(175)/size 12
WOE: LC -- again
Start Date: Jan 2012/restart May 2013/restart again Oct 2014
... but I can't find Joseph's Lavash Bread... I keep checking at WalMart but haven't seen it. Anywhere else I can find it? The cereal sounds wonderful... how clever of you!!
laceylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:05 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post
... but I can't find Joseph's Lavash Bread... I keep checking at WalMart but haven't seen it. Anywhere else I can find it? The cereal sounds wonderful... how clever of you!!
Netrition sells it
babydollsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:35 AM   #6
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I've done this with Joseph's pita bread to make garlic and parmesan chips. Ate with hummus. Yummy!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack1 View Post
I tried making this yesterday and the results were quite amazing. I cut up a sheet of Joseph's Lavash Bread into 64 squares (about 1" X1"), soaked the squares in Toasted Marshmallow Davinci SF Syrup, (vanilla would work) for about 15 minutes. I baked them on parchment (don't try it without parchment or a silicon baking mat), at 325 for 15 minutes. They weren't quite crisp enough for me, so I turned the oven off and left them in until the oven cooled, to remove all the moisture. The result was a delicious cereal, similar to Cinnamon Toast squares (without the cinnamon, but you could sprinkle it on before baking, if you like that type of cereal). This makes about 1 1/2 cups of cereal for 8 net carbs. I ate half this morning with Hood's calorie countdown milk. It tasted just like Lucky Charms.

If I crisp this up ahead of time and store them in a ziploc baggie witll they hold thier crispness a few days in the baggie? Or do I need to use it right after I make it and cool it?
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wall
wow, you really miss cereal. haha

very creative!!
wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
Yummy's girl... As long as it stays really dry, it should be Ok in a zip-lock bag. Don't put it in there if it is steamy, though.

Wall... actually, I don't really miss cereal that much, but I do get sick of eggs, etc. I started experimenting with the lavash bread because it was getting stale before I could use it for its intended purpose, i.e. wraps. Also, I have a large bottle of Toasted Marshmallow Davinci's that I have no idea what to do with. The cereal and the cracker recipe work even better if it is stale and having them occasionally adds variety.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: lippi
Added some lavash bread to my Netrition order, and went and got some Carb Countdown milk on my way home from work. Have about 15 bottles of various Davinci in the cupboard so I'm looking forward to trying some different flavors with this.

Thanks for the recipe!
lippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy's_Girl View Post
If I crisp this up ahead of time and store them in a ziploc baggie witll they hold thier crispness a few days in the baggie? Or do I need to use it right after I make it and cool it?

Just came back from a trip where I had crisped Joaseph's chips in ziplock baggies with me. Stayed crisp for more than a week!

-Retroworx
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Just came back from a trip where I had crisped Joaseph's chips in ziplock baggies with me. Stayed crisp for more than a week!

-Retroworx
Thanks for the info! This is great news!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: uhhuhher
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 28, 2011
I know this is an old thread, but I tried this today! YUM. I only had SF Torani's Almond Rocca syrup so that is what I used. I cut the lavash into little squares and soaked them in the syrup. Then layed them on the parchment and baked 15 minutes. Some needed a smidge more time in the oven to crisp. Then I made a dip with warmed SF Pilsbury vanilla frosting with a little lemon extract mixed in. Ohhhh so good. Next time I am going to soak in SF cinnamon syrup and make a cream cheese frosting dip- maybe it will taste like a Cinnabon??
Old 02-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post
The WM I shop in, I find that bread over near where they bake and decorate cakes, along with the Joseph's brand of LC pita bread. If it is not there, then maybe you can call the store to see if they would stock it.

I have cut these up with a pizza cutter, just zips along quickly.

Last edited by Tilly; 02-19-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
What a nifty idea!
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack1 View Post

Thank you so much for this idea. It's delicious. I used cookie dough, strawberry, banana, and blueberry. I cut each sheet in four and soak. Use Pam sprayed pan and also sprayed them. Bake at 300 about 15-20 minutes flipping and spraying. I break them up when they r cool and place in serving size ziplocks. We use as crackers, cereal, chips. Our favorite is cookie dough. Blueberry and strawberry are good but hard to crisp without burning. Have also added Jen's wonderful nutty cereal to them.

Thanks again for the idea.
Barb
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
My thanks for bumping thi older thread up. This actually sounds good! I don't do milk (not since I was in diapers) but I can really see these as a "snack cracker" cut perhaps a bit larger. Can't wait to try these.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote