Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Caramel Dip Recipe? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/541008-caramel-dip-recipe.html)

cenicienta 02-08-2008 06:57 PM

Caramel Dip Recipe?

Hi All!

I was wondering if any of you have a recipe for a LC caramel dip - like something to dip fruit in?

lisabinil 02-08-2008 07:06 PM

I don't have a recipe but use the Walden Farms SF Caramel Dip myself.

jlatislaw 02-08-2008 07:06 PM

This is what we like:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened in micro
1/2 C. Diabetisweet brown
1/2 C. Splenda
1 t. vanilla

Mix well and dip away! We dip apple slices and strawberries.

sungoddess 02-09-2008 09:05 AM

I think this one is really tasty!!

Rich Caramel Sauce by Josie

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons DiabetiSweet
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 ounces cream cheese - softened

Melt butter over medium heat.
Add DiabetiSweet and dissolve.
Add cream and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Boil approximately 6 minutes, or until sauce thickens and starts to turn a light caramel color. Stir constantly.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and softened cream cheese.
Makes 1 cup. Stores in refrigerator well. Reheat as needed.

Also, I used to make a wonderful dip with Steel's caramel sauce mixed into cream cheese. I know some people don't like it, but I thought it was delicious.
I loved it over ice cream. The ingredients in it aren't bad and it has Splenda in it.

Steel's Sugar Free Caramel Sauce
Serving Size 2 Tbsp (28g)
Calories 90
Total Fat 8g
Saturated Fat .5g
Cholesterol 15g
Sodium 15mg
Total Carbohydrates 3g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars 2g
Protein 1g
Ingredients cream, butter, inulin, natural flavoring,
xanthan gum, sucralose
(Splenda brand sweetener)

rexsreine 02-09-2008 12:38 PM

Sungoddess, I tried this one and it didn't taste like caramel at all to me, just sweet. I must have done something wrong. Plus, I had to use my stick blender to get it to smooth out. Have any tricks with this you'd care to pass along?

Thanks, Ginny

sungoddess 02-09-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexsreine (Post 9920414)
Sungoddess, I tried this one and it didn't taste like caramel at all to me, just sweet. I must have done something wrong. Plus, I had to use my stick blender to get it to smooth out. Have any tricks with this you'd care to pass along?

Thanks, Ginny

Oh Ginny, that is too bad!! I didn't actually make the recipe myself, so I am not sure of what problems there were in making it. My boss made the dip for our potluck and it tasted yummy so she gave me this recipe. She may have tweaked the recipe. I'll ask her. I do know she used brown diabetisweet, so maybe that made more of a caramel flavor to it.

I go the path of least resistance sometimes, so opening a jar of the Steel's caramel sauces was easier to me than mixing up the recipe she gave me. I think the Steels tastes very much like caramel so maybe I will just stick with that.

Someone else mentioned that Smucker's now makes a SF caramel sauce, but I would imagine it has sugar alcohols in it. I also made a recipe for caramel sauce that Scott 123 developed. It was really good. But it had polyd in it and I can't handle the stuff.

jacksmixedtape 02-10-2008 12:10 AM

I tried a praline recipe once that failed, but made the yummiest gooey caramel. You could just cook some erythritol in a pan and add cream and butter once it starts to get nice and brown.

rexsreine 02-10-2008 03:39 PM

Think I'll try the erythritol caramelized with butter and cream added. Thanks, jacks.

Kevinpa 02-10-2008 04:47 PM

I put this on my list to try this week sometime with a isomalt / erythritol combination.

cenicienta 02-10-2008 05:08 PM

Thanks for all of your replies!

I was experimenting today and this is what I came up with:

2 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. maple syrup flavoring
1 tsp Spenda

I think this is what my measurements were when I made my dip.
This made a really small amount of dip. I don't really want to have a lot of it sitting around. This is just enough for a snack/craving. All I can say is that it tasted really, really good. I even had my non low carbing husband try it and he thought it was good. I was dipping raw jicama into it (to get the same sensation as having an apple dipped into it) and it was just outstanding.

kristinalyn2001 02-10-2008 06:09 PM

I have the Walden Farms one but it has to be cold or else yech........

jacksmixedtape 02-10-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexsreine (Post 9924543)
Think I'll try the erythritol caramelized with butter and cream added. Thanks, jacks.

Here is the thread with the precise recipe. It yielded a very thick, gooey caramel. I guess you'd have to add more butter and cream for a dip. This recipe looks good. Now I'm craving some caramel! :) Good luck!