Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Joseph's Lavash/Flatbread as Flour

Hi Folks:

I was in the middle of several experiments when I ran out of the flatbreads, so I won't be able to post exact finished recipes here, but I wanted to throw this out to all of you experimenters/tweakers who don't want to play with all of the usual low carb baking specialty ingredients:

If you grind up your flatbreads (or pitas as well, I assume) in a Magic Bullet or processor, to the consistency of a powder, you can use this as a low(er) carb/calorie flour. I tried a cookie, which had oatmeal cookie consistency with a nice whole-wheaty kind of taste. Tried a 1 minute muffin, with some baking powder, egg beaters, milk, DiabetiSweet, etc which I then toasted and got a pretty nice piece of dense crunchy toast. (Not sure how much this is going to rise on it's own -- may need a touch of some other type of flour to help with a substantial rise). I imagine that combining this flour with some milk, egg white, touch of xanthan and butter etc may yield a nice cream of wheat type of hot cereal.

I've been experimenting lately with oat fiber as well (0 calories, 0 carbs, no aftertaste) and I think when I get some more lavash in I will try to bulk the flour up with some fiber for even less carbs and more volume per serving.

Anyone want to give this a whirl?

-Susan
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Unfortunately those are items I still have to order, however, Ill be looking for them the next time Im in the States as this sounds exactly what Im looking for. Thnaks for posting this..
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Mallory:

I just want to be sure you understand that I don't think this is going to be practical as your solution to high-volume baking -- a cake, for instance, but it might be useful to you as a quick single-serving fix that doesn't have the Carbquick/Carbalose, WPI issues -- if you can afford the lavash carbs.

-Susan
Old 02-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Hi Mallory:

I just want to be sure you understand that I don't think this is going to be practical as your solution to high-volume baking -- a cake, for instance, but it might be useful to you as a quick single-serving fix that doesn't have the Carbquick/Carbalose, WPI issues -- if you can afford the lavash carbs.

-Susan
Yup, I understood! Anything that I can pick up and experiment with (without having to pay shipping) goes on my list to try.
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
I ground up a Joseph's pita bread, which I think has similar ingredients as the Lavash bread, to make breadcrumbs to use in meatballs.

I absolutely love the Lavash bread as crackers! I can find it at Hannaford's.
Cap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap57 View Post
I absolutely love the Lavash bread as crackers! I can find it at Hannaford's.
FYI: Our board sponsor, Netrition, carries these Lavash and Pitas, and ships at an incredibly cheap, flat rate.

I Netrition!!

Susan
Old 02-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
FYI: Our board sponsor, Netrition, carries these Lavash and Pitas, and ships at an incredibly cheap, flat rate.

I Netrition!!

Susan
Thanks, Susan. I have ordered them from Netrition, also, and I agree about the fabulous shipping. My order usually arrives the next day! It's incredible! Netrition rocks!

I'm trying another use for the pita "breadcrumbs" tomorrow. I will mix them with almonds, lemon zest, parsley, and melted butter to use as topping for some baked haddock.
Cap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap57 View Post
I'm trying another use for the pita "breadcrumbs" tomorrow. I will mix them with almonds, lemon zest, parsley, and melted butter to use as topping for some baked haddock.
Oooh! Nice!

-Susan