Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: twinsplusone
Stats: 170/138/132
Start Date: 7/1/2009
How do you store coconut oil?

I bought Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from Walmart. When I first opened it, it was a solid. I stored it in a cabinet without any trouble. I didn't use it for about a week and took it out today and it was a liquid. Is this normal? Did it go "bad"? should I store it in the refrigerator?
twinsplusone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kona sunset
Stats: 199/174/120
WOE: Protein Power, sort of
Start Date: Started over for the last time Aug., 2010
Perfectly normal. Coconut oil will last for at least 2 years at room temp without becoming rancid. It does not need to be refrigerated. It becomes liquid at around 75 degrees and solid below that. The lower the temp, the harder it becomes. It can also withstand some pretty high temps (450, if I remember right) so it is a very good oil to cook with.

HTH
Kona sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ixtapacheryl
Stats: 183/173/130 - 5'7.5"
WOE: '72 Atkins
Start Date: 8/4/2012
I use the cold pressed because I take it by the spoonfuls - plus I oil pull with it. Mine is also solid - but in the summer it will turn into a liquid. Perfectly normal. I just keep mine in the pantry.

If you want to cook with it don't buy the cold pressed - can't withstand high heat.
ixtapacheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsplusone View Post
I bought Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from Walmart. When I first opened it, it was a solid. I stored it in a cabinet without any trouble. I didn't use it for about a week and took it out today and it was a liquid. Is this normal? Did it go "bad"? should I store it in the refrigerator?
This is because it is a healthy fat and has not been hydrogenized or turned into a transfat to stay solid. You don't have to but if it bothers you, you can refrigerate it.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustDoYou
Stats: 232.5/patiently waiting/165ish
WOE: LC and eating in moderation
Yea today it was pretty funny because it got up to 70 here, where as it's normally pretty cool out. I left the heater on when I left for work, not thinking it was going to get that warm. When it was time to cook dinner all 3 of my jars were liquified, guess next time I might need to turn the heat off when I leave for work...LOL!! I ended up drizzling my meat with it, rather than plopping a spoonful in the pan.
JustDoYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #6

Gallery: Rory
Stats: 20W/14M/8
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinkswan
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsplusone View Post
It is normal. I just keep mine on the kitchen counter and it is a liquid all the time because I have a very warm kitchen.
pinkswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
One consideration if you buy the big tubs is to move it to glass containers ( such as canning jars). There is evidence that ALL plastic leaches compounds that are harmful to our bodies and fat acts like a solvent to make it even worse.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
One consideration if you buy the big tubs is to move it to glass containers ( such as canning jars). There is evidence that ALL plastic leaches compounds that are harmful to our bodies and fat acts like a solvent to make it even worse.

This is such a good point - I hadn't considered that. (even though I always try to use glass containers for everything else!) I have a new gallon coming and I'm going to do exactly as you suggested.

Thanks!

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #10

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Normal
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #11

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I actually prefer that my coconut oil be a liquid. That way I can scoop out a spoonful easier than when it is rock solid as it gets to be in the winter time. I love summer!!!! But then again I prefer when I use it on my skin as an oil that it be a bit more solid. Picky, picky I know I cannot have it both ways LOL.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
When I store mine on the countertop, it's solid. When I put it into a cabinet that has a light underneath it (making the cabinet warmer than the countertop), it turns liquid. It also is liquid on the countertop during the hot days of summer when the kitchen is warmer. It totally depends on the temperature it's being stored at, and there's nothing wrong with it being liquid. I prefer it that way.

The new Trader Joe's coconut oil comes in glass jars - guess that's a good thing!
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote