Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member
 
wenig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MT
Posts: 968
Gallery: wenig
Stats: 5'8"
Start Date: 1/3/12
Weird how all of the sudden a lot of people do not like it. I used the sf jello and I was very happy of how it turned out. I will reserve it for special occasions. It is not meant to eat everyday!
wenig is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 257
Gallery: Big Red
Stats: 5'8 tall, 47 years young, 174/165/145
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Started Atkins 2003- Re-started induction 01/03/08
I didn't really have a problem with it either. I didn't make the cake but just made the batter with SF Jell-O and dropped them on the pan just like the rolls and they were great. I don't have a sweet tooth though so maybe the tartness is what I liked.
I am going to stick with favorite though. Just the plain rolls, no splenda, because they are so versatile that way. When I want a treat then I take a plain roll and warm it in the toaster, butter it and sprinkle cinnamon and splenda on that. Pretty darn good cinnamon roll if you ask me....
__________________
[COLOR=red]Karin[/COLOR]
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,361
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I just add some splenda (Sweetzfree actually) to the oopsie and jello mix for the cake. It comes out fine by the second day. No off tastes. Not too strong. So far I have made orange and black cherry. Will definitely do again. With whipped cream frosting, it comes out to 2 carbs a piece. I do get the lower calorie gelatins when I can (not Jello Brand) because I figure them to be 1 carb vs 6 carbs per box.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #124
something there
 
cleochatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 14,736
Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
It's not a big deal when some folks don't like something. It's really a YMMV! I know some weeks people will rave about the oopsie rolls! then all of a sudden a bunch of folks will say they're terrible. It can't bug you. It's not personal!

{{{you}}}
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!
 
shadowzip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,809
Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
It's not a big deal when some folks don't like something. It's really a YMMV! I know some weeks people will rave about the oopsie rolls! then all of a sudden a bunch of folks will say they're terrible. It can't bug you. It's not personal!

{{{you}}}

Terrible? Blasphemy, I tell you, Blasphemy!!
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #126
something there
 
cleochatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 14,736
Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Some people enjoy letting me know that oopsies aren't anything special (or that they hate them--granted, this isn't the general person who doesn't like them. I'm talking about people who seem to need to really not like them in a very vocal way like they're trying to send a message). I don't get it, but really-- we all like what we like! I don't mind if folks don't like them. It really is a matter of taste!

I'm pretty laid back.

Last edited by cleochatra; 02-19-2008 at 04:56 PM..
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 257
Gallery: Big Red
Stats: 5'8 tall, 47 years young, 174/165/145
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Started Atkins 2003- Re-started induction 01/03/08
Well Cleo,

I for one love the oopsie roll!!!
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #128
something there
 
cleochatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 14,736
Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I'm glad you like them! I do, too! I can understand folks not liking them, though. I know I OD' on them once. Now they're like a tool.

With great oopsie power comes great oopsie responsibility.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member
 
wenig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MT
Posts: 968
Gallery: wenig
Stats: 5'8"
Start Date: 1/3/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I'm glad you like them! I do, too! I can understand folks not liking them, though. I know I OD' on them once. Now they're like a tool.

With great oopsie power comes great oopsie responsibility.

Sooo true! I love them and got me away from my sandwich addiction. thank you cleo!!
wenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]It shouldn't be surprising that there are some who doesn't like it. People have different tastes. What one person loves another hates. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]With everything some are gonna love it, some hate it, and some are just neutral.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]That's just the way it is. Any time I say that I don't like something it is NEVER to hurt the feelings of the one whose recipe it is. It is just that it isn't to my taste buds. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]As Cleo said it is a YMMV type thing.[/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:11 AM   #131
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Determinedtolose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,132
Gallery: Determinedtolose
But sometimes you never know about how people are saying something. I read posts where some express their hate or dislike for something and they really put out there. They don't even say it in a nice way!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
magnamater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,096
Gallery: magnamater
I and DH LOVE the jello cake. . .and perhaps because I bake it in a lower temp with convection oven, there is no problem with the aspertame. I'd rather not use aspertame, but the cake is really yummy.

I have to hide the cake. . .so I can have some! DH is a cake bandit!

Will make again next week, and I wrap each piece in plastic. (better for portion control) I make a humongous sheet cake (jelly roll pan lined with parchment) and get 18 servings for 14 eggs and 12 oz of cream cheese. I think it is a carb/calorie bargain!

Lemon next week?
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:31 AM   #133
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Determinedtolose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,132
Gallery: Determinedtolose
Janie,
Thanks for the amounts! That would be a good way to make it for a get together! WTG!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,435
Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedtolose View Post
But sometimes you never know about how people are saying something. I read posts where some express their hate or dislike for something and they really put out there. They don't even say it in a nice way!
Some people just have no couth. I've become accustomed to "overlooking" that sort.

The oopsie cakes look amazing. Who knew? I think its a great invention. I've not had the chance to make any oopsies, but I'm gonna give it a shot pretty soon. I love reading about all of them.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 615
Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I just add some splenda (Sweetzfree actually) to the oopsie and jello mix for the cake. It comes out fine by the second day. No off tastes. Not too strong. So far I have made orange and black cherry. Will definitely do again. With whipped cream frosting, it comes out to 2 carbs a piece. I do get the lower calorie gelatins when I can (not Jello Brand) because I figure them to be 1 carb vs 6 carbs per box.
Lower calorie gelatins? "
Would this be a store brand?? Just curious..And alos, I for one love the oopsies and the oopsie cake..I just dont like how many carbs I have to add for the whip cream..and I love the whip cream, so this is a once-in-a-while thing for me..and will be a great light desert for summer!

Last edited by Mallory; 02-20-2008 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: needed to add more
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member
 
wenig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MT
Posts: 968
Gallery: wenig
Stats: 5'8"
Start Date: 1/3/12
I am confused now.

eggs.............................................. .......almost no carbs( max 3 carbs )
whip cream ....30 carbs for the whole container.....15 carbs
cream of tartar............................................ ....no carbs
3 oz cream cheese............................................6 carbs
sf jello............................................. ................no carbs
vanilla extract. 1 tsp..........................................0.1 carbs

double that......

Thats 48 per cake divided by at least 6 pieces , that will be very big pieces........8 carbs per slice?
add strawberries and I add 1 carb per strawberry.

That is much better then cheating with real cake.

How close I am with these calculations?
wenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 615
Gallery: Mallory
1 package of sf jello has 6 net carbs..eggs count as 2, cream of tartar is actually 1/2 by ******, ..what else??
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member
 
Kissmygrits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 256
Gallery: Kissmygrits
Stats: 5' 10"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb. 2006
Has anyone tried this with Splenda and strawberry extract instead of the Jello powder? Or any flavor extract for that matter...I just wondered if that would taste as good; I might try it. Plus if you used Splenda Quickpack it would really cut down on the carbs.
ETA--Thank you Cristy and Cleo!...It's recipes like these that make LC so much easier to stick to. Unless you're like me and eat 1/2 the cake in one day.

Last edited by Kissmygrits; 02-20-2008 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: I forget stuff.
Kissmygrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!
 
Yummy's_Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,935
Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissmygrits View Post
Has anyone tried this with Splenda and strawberry extract instead of the Jello powder? Or any flavor extract for that matter...I just wondered if that would taste as good; I might try it. Plus if you used Splenda Quickpack it would really cut down on the carbs.
I Haven't tried it, but I suggest trying it with sweetener of your choice and maybe using Lorann Flavor oils, if you have them. THey are much mroe conectrated than extract and so you'd use much less of them. THey are available at Meijers and Walmart where the cake decorating supplies are, and also at craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby, also in the cake decorating section.
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member
 
Kissmygrits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 256
Gallery: Kissmygrits
Stats: 5' 10"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb. 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy's_Girl View Post
I Haven't tried it, but I suggest trying it with sweetener of your choice and maybe using Lorann Flavor oils, if you have them. THey are much mroe conectrated than extract and so you'd use much less of them. THey are available at Meijers and Walmart where the cake decorating supplies are, and also at craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby, also in the cake decorating section.
That is a great idea; I have some actually; orange and peanut butter (2 bottles--that's not a new flavor ) I'm going to try it with the orange and I'll report back.
Kissmygrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 615
Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenig View Post
I am confused now.

eggs.............................................. .......almost no carbs( max 3 carbs )
whip cream ....30 carbs for the whole container.....15 carbs
cream of tartar............................................ ....no carbs
3 oz cream cheese............................................6 carbs
sf jello............................................. ................no carbs
vanilla extract. 1 tsp..........................................0.1 carbs

double that......

Thats 48 per cake divided by at least 6 pieces , that will be very big pieces........8 carbs per slice?
add strawberries and I add 1 carb per strawberry.

That is much better then cheating with real cake.

How close I am with these calculations?
Okay this is what I use for this recipe from ****** and hidden carbs.. this is only for a single batch..

3 eggs xlarge.......2
3 oz cream cheese.....6
cr of tartar and vanilla...both 1/2 so 1
1/2 pkg sf jello....6 hidden carbs..at this point its 15 carbs..and for 1 cup of whip cream..17 carbs..for a total of 32 carbs for a single layer..cut into 6 or 8 tiny pieces..4 or 5 ish..

My cream is 1 carb per T..so I try to use only 1/2 cup and maybe some marscarpone cheese..

If you make the recipe with sf pudding, there is 24 net carbs in the package so you would have to account for that..

Still better than real cake but not as low as some others here have posted..
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #142
something there
 
cleochatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 14,736
Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
A batch of oopsies is less than 540 calories and 6 carbs. (Cream cheese is a carb per ounce, not 2--thankfully!)
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member
 
Big Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 257
Gallery: Big Red
Stats: 5'8 tall, 47 years young, 174/165/145
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Started Atkins 2003- Re-started induction 01/03/08
Philly Full Fat CC is 1 carb. per oz. I use Philly 1/3 less fat CC, it is <1 carb per oz. I have seen other off brands at 2 carbs and I think Philly Fat Free is 2 carbs......
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,361
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Royal gelatin and Walmart brand gelatin are 20 calories per box, rather than 40 per box. They both have 4 grams of protein, hence 16 calories worth are protein. Royal gelatin has maltodextrin, just less I guess than Jelllo brand. Walmart Great Value does not list maltodextrin in the ingredients list. I believe a box must be about 1 carb.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 615
Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
A batch of oopsies is less than 540 calories and 6 carbs. (Cream cheese is a carb per ounce, not 2--thankfully!)
Shucks, PHilly Full fat cream cheese here in Canada is 1 carb per 1T..its the lowest I have been able to find as store brands are more than that..and Ill have to watch for the store brand gelatins next time Im in the states and pick some up..thanks for the info..
Also, the label shows 1 carb for 28g (American) but the hidden carb calculator gives only.5..so thats great news! Ill definitely have to stock up next trip!

P.S. I just rechecked the numbers on my new package of cream cheese and it looks like they may have changed the formulation or something because now 1T for my cream cheese is only 0.125..so Ill have to change the info on my ****** and enjoy my cream cheese alot more!

Last edited by Mallory; 02-20-2008 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Just checked my package..
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:01 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member
 
shecan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Eagle River,Alaska
Posts: 156
Gallery: shecan1
Stats: (160/130/120)
WOE: Atkins
I am confused about how everyone is coming up with the hidden carb count on a box of sugar free jello. I have 2 types:
Safeway brand Raspberry gelatin Dessert has 4 servings per contain - and lists 5 calories per serving with 1 gram of protein. a protein has 4 calories so the extra 1 calorie must be a carb - resulting in 1 carb(4 calories per carb) for the whole container.
The jello brand has 10-calories per serving and has 1 gram of protein - this leaves 6 calories left over (probably Maltodextrim as its the 3rd ingredient). as there are 8 seriving (this is a large box that would make 1.5carbs per serving or 12 for the whole box and match up with the 6 grams in a .3oz box)
Am I doing the math right?
So why is there such a difference in the two type of gelatin?
shecan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:59 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Soobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,361
Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
It's the added maltodextrin. The formulation is slightly different in the different brands. Since the protein stays the same, the lower the calorie count, the lower the carb count. I think your math is right, by the way.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 615
Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by shecan1 View Post
I am confused about how everyone is coming up with the hidden carb count on a box of sugar free jello. I have 2 types:
Safeway brand Raspberry gelatin Dessert has 4 servings per contain - and lists 5 calories per serving with 1 gram of protein. a protein has 4 calories so the extra 1 calorie must be a carb - resulting in 1 carb(4 calories per carb) for the whole container.
The jello brand has 10-calories per serving and has 1 gram of protein - this leaves 6 calories left over (probably Maltodextrim as its the 3rd ingredient). as there are 8 seriving (this is a large box that would make 1.5carbs per serving or 12 for the whole box and match up with the 6 grams in a .3oz box)
Am I doing the math right?
So why is there such a difference in the two type of gelatin?

Plus, if you notice on the nutritional info, it works out to 1.5 grams per serving and the small box has 4 servings per box..for a total of 6 hidden carbs..I guess for people like me, who like to be extremely accurate, I like knowing that when Im trying to lose weight..if I was in maintenance I probably wouldnt worry as much..
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
epix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 3,506
Gallery: epix
Stats: 426/205/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2004
Ok I've read this entire thread but still blah on the actual recipe.. I want to make it and I've already told a friend I'd make one for her so help! I know how to make oopies (took a few tries but I'm getting to be an ace now) What is used for the topping? just regular whip cream?
epix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #150
something there
 
cleochatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 14,736
Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Epix-- It appears that folks are using regular whipping cream, although I'd add Splenda (a packet for every 8 ounces at least!)

I think making one for St Patricks Day would be very cool. I would use mint extract and green food coloring in the whipping cream, and add vanilla to the cake itself.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.