Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
AnDee, I wanted to tell you how cute your cake looks in that heart shaped pan!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #92

Denise,
I even took a bite of it this morning and it was really good! I have some unflavored gelatin and some davinci, so maybe I'll do some experimenting with that as well. If anyone else gives this a try, lets all compare notes!!

I like what you did Billie with your Oopsie rolls too! They look really good!!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Hey, I like the idea of making my own jello for this cake..that might be a more carbwise solution..
Anyway, I tasted mine yesterday and it was actually really good..but my numbers are very a bit different seeing as tho mine is only a single batch of the oopsie and 1/2 box of jello
For one recipe of the oopsie recipe, made in an 8 x 8 pan with 1/2 pkg of jello..8-9 carbs..
Iced with 1/3 cup cream and 1/2 cup marscarpone cheese thats another 6 carbs..so thats about 15 for the small 8 x 8 piece..divided by 6 small pices and you get 2.5 per slice..
Mine isnt as high as others, I guess cause its a single recipe and i would have liked to have cut it in half and iced in between..but the carbs would have been too high..But the flavour was and next Im thinking that when summer comes, strawberry kiwi jello with toasted coconut on top would be a nice summery dessert.
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swinglow
Stats: 247.6/236.6/195
WOE: Simeon's R1P2 til May 15, 2010
Start Date: March 28, 2010
That sounds lovely, Mallory! What's more, I think you have some carbs to spare, there. I've been informed that Linda Sue's hidden calculator puts a box of sugar free jello at 6 carbs; making your half box 3.
swinglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #95

That sounds really good Mallory! I will probably experiment tomorrow on that Oopsie cake. Anywhere we can save carbs is alright with me!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Hmmm. I made this cake this weekend. The layers came out very flat and thin, but the taste was good. The major nightmare though was that moments after these pictures were taken, I accidentally dumped the whole cake on the floor!

Last edited by stephdray; 02-16-2008 at 03:24 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Whoopsie Oopsie Steph!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Babydoll - your cake looks quite a bit thicker than some of the others, how did you get it to rise that much? It looks like it didn't deflate any as it cooled. Also, it looks very light, like an angel cake, is it? Thanks to all of your for your ideas and pictures. I still haven't tried this yet but I think I'm getting closer.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Subbing to try a Oopsie Chocolate Cake sometime next week!!

HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #100
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: greannmhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[COLOR=red]Babs, As you see in my post above it can be made with unfalvored gelatin & flavoring. I wasn't crazy about the outcome using the kool aid, cause it was too tangy for me. But I think you could use flavoring/extract & sweetener. I can't tell you how much flavoring you would need tho.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]And yes, the packages they are using is the 1 pint size.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]1 package of the unflavored gelatin (1 Tablespoon or abt 15 ML) is what you would use to equal that package of jello.[/COLOR]
Thanks Billie - I will try and experiment soon. I was going to make it tonight for visitors, but did a coconut cream pie instead. As there's still some of that left, I will have to wait before further experimntation
I'm wondering if the gelatin is necessary at all? Apart from flavouring, does the sf jello really do anything for the cake?
Babs
greannmhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Red
Stats: 5'8 tall, 47 years young, 174/165/145
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Started Atkins 2003- Re-started induction 01/03/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar View Post
Thanks Billie - I will try and experiment soon. I was going to make it tonight for visitors, but did a coconut cream pie instead. As there's still some of that left, I will have to wait before further experimntation
I'm wondering if the gelatin is necessary at all? Apart from flavouring, does the sf jello really do anything for the cake?
Babs
Seems to me that you could omit the jello and just use kool-aid or Chrystal lite..hmmmm I see another experiment coming.....
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jakaroo
Stats: 215/182/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2007
Thank you all for the photo's, I think I am going to try this recipe, it looks great.

Last edited by jakaroo; 02-16-2008 at 04:53 PM..
jakaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #103

Ahh Steph! That's too bad! But I'm sorry I had to laugh!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]Unless you like really tart & tangy, I'd find another flavoring for this. I'm not fond of tart & tangy, and that is really all I taste in this. I really don't taste the strawberry flavor at all. IF someone still decides to try the Kool Aid, I'd suggest either doubling the Oopsie batch, or only using half the pkg of Kool Aid.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Since I have never made Oopises before, I really don't know if you need the gelatin. Probably not. From looking at the pics of the regular Oopsies, I can't see that the gelatin added much. Again not having made them I really don't know. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I do like these better today than yesterday, but they are just too tart for me. I'll eat them, but I won't do them again, at least with the Kool Aid. Maybe with flavoring someday. Not sure yet.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]It you like the tart & tangy, as I know many do, you might really like using the Kool Aid. But I do think you need a bit more sweetening than I used. And Oh yes, I don't think I said in my other post, I also put abt 3 drops of Sweetzfree in the whites. So total I had 1/4 tsp + 3 drops Sweetzfree, and they still aren't very sweet. Just TART.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Tonight, I had one with whipped cream, some drizzles of DaVinci Vanilla, and sf chocolate syrup (homemade). But as I said........ too tart for me.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Oh Steph, ,,,,,, So sorry about that beautiful cake!!!!![/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 02-16-2008 at 06:46 PM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #105

The kool aid does not appeal to me at all as far as flavoring the cake. There must be something else that would work or just be satisfied with the jello.

I'm sure we can think of something!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
I might be way off base here, but for those of you who have made this...

Do you think the Lorann oils would work in this for flavoring? I have a whole bag of them in like 12 different flavors
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=red]I would think so Yummy's Girl. (That's what I've been thinking.) I just have no idea how much to use. I have a few flavors too, but never have any idea how much to use, unless I'm following someone else's recipe that uses them.... HMMMMMM..... Come to think of it, I can't remember if I've done a recipe that uses them..... Kevin has several recipes, but I don't think I have the flavors he has used in them. [/COLOR]
Old 02-16-2008, 10:59 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[COLOR=red]I would think so Yummy's Girl. (That's what I've been thinking.) I just have no idea how much to use. I have a few flavors too, but never have any idea how much to use, unless I'm following someone else's recipe that uses them.... HMMMMMM..... Come to think of it, I can't remember if I've done a recipe that uses them..... Kevin has several recipes, but I don't think I have the flavors he has used in them. [/COLOR]
It sounds like the Lorann oils would definitely be worth experimenting with on this!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:05 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Babydoll - your cake looks quite a bit thicker than some of the others, how did you get it to rise that much? It looks like it didn't deflate any as it cooled. Also, it looks very light, like an angel cake, is it? Thanks to all of your for your ideas and pictures. I still haven't tried this yet but I think I'm getting closer.
Hi Tweaker Geek!

I made it with the whole 4oz. Jell-O and I added 1 tbsp thick n Thin/Not Sugar to the egg yolks. I add the yolks to the egg whites instead of the other way around. That way it dosen't get as runny. This may be the reason the cake is higher!
babydollsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 AM   #110

I had just bought some Nestle pre-melted unsweetenend chocolate. I'm thinking that could be incorporated into the yolks with quick pack splenda or liquid splenda for a more decadent cake.

I may try that.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedtolose View Post
I had just bought some Nestle pre-melted unsweetenend chocolate. I'm thinking that could be incorporated into the yolks with quick pack splenda or liquid splenda for a more decadent cake.

I may try that.
I have some of that as well....I may try it too! Let me know what you think!!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #112

Babydollsea, I will! As soon as I finish eating the strawberry cake.

It's funny because I don't find myself going for the cake as much as I thought I would. Maybe with the chocolate it might be different. Who knows!
Old 02-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you babydollsea. When I do make it I'll try it your way.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:04 AM   #114
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
You guys are so clever!!! I love seeing what you're making!

I am so sorry your cake fell on the floor. That's the type of thing that happens to me! Or it falls in my mouth and I eat it.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:21 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Do you think it is the gelatin or the flavoring that makes the cake work?

Because I would love to use Crystal Light and Wally world clone. . .in lemonade, apple, orange, etc. flavor. . .yes, I could use the jello for all but the apple. Just don't know if I should add the gelatin too.

I have some Mexican Crystal Light (they call it Clight) in pina colada flavor. . .oh, yummo! But pineapple plus coconut flavoring or syrup. . .I think would be yummy too.

Love this recipe!!!!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #116
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I just wanted to say something about baking with aspartame. Aspartame doesn't tend to do well in the oven, and could account for the acidic taste some are noticing. Splenda does well in the oven, but aspartame isn't really meant for baking.

So definitely keep that in mind as you try things!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I just wanted to say something about baking with aspartame. Aspartame doesn't tend to do well in the oven, and could account for the acidic taste some are noticing. Splenda does well in the oven, but aspartame isn't really meant for baking.

Good point, Cleo! I am going to stick to your basic recipe and just have the rolls. I waste the cake because I don't want to eat the extra calories and end up just throwing it away. Total waste of money (and time).

Keep in mind I will definitely make the cakes again BUT on special occasions...
Old 02-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
I wont make the Oopsie cake again either right now. I use Orange Jello in mine and I got that bitter taste. Thanks for reminding me of that Cleo.:blush: I will use them for rolls and make me some sweet ones with Cocoa again like I did a couple of weeks ago when I want something sweet and since I am the only one eating LC in the house that way I wont waste any of them.

HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post

[COLOR=red]That's right!!! Even Dow (the makers) says it turns to poison when heated at a high temp!!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]That's not why mine was acetic, cause I didn't use the jello. I stayed clear of it because of the aspartame in it. But the Kool Aid that I did use is very acetic. So it was VERY tart & tangy. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]But aspartame heated to high will certainly give off an off taste![/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I just am not pleased with the whole thing as a cake tho, and won't make them as cake again.[/COLOR]
Old 02-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: H20Goddess
Stats: 181/140/140, 5'9
WOE: LC / Whole Foods
Start Date: Jan 10, 2005
That looks delicious indeed!
H20Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote