Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lori121
Stats: Jan 232.5/203/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 6, 2014
Now I know what I'll make for my dessert for V-day...
lori121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 5'5" 173/148/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/28/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinglow View Post
Well, I'll share a tip with you that I read in another oopsie thread: Throw everything that's gonna touch the whites into the freezer; the bowl (stainless is best, plastic is worst), the beaters, the rubber spatula. I just throw the utensils into the bowl and pop everything in. Let the eggs sit out til room temp. Once separated (make sure you don't get any yolk in the whites) add your dash of cream of tartar in the whites and begin beating. Once it gets frothy and stiff peaks start to form add a tsp of xanthum to the whites. Continue to beat on high.

My whites get so stiff that they begin to climb up the beaters when I do it this way. I can then fold with the spatula and don't have to worry about any break down from the whites. My oopsies come out super thick, too. I can halve them and use one per sandwhich this way.

Will this still work without the xanthum?
TropicalSummerNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:19 AM   #63
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
sabal-- yes. Xanthum isn't a necessary ingredient of oopsies. I'm a purist. Some folks like xanthum, but I've been successful every time without it.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swinglow
Stats: 247.6/236.6/195
WOE: Simeon's R1P2 til May 15, 2010
Start Date: March 28, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabal5 View Post
Will this still work without the xanthum?
Absolutely! Only reason I like the xanthum is because I don't have to be nearly as gentle with the whites during folding. I fold with a spatula and experience no break down and no watery substance in the base of the bowl.
swinglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CaPagrl
Stats: 185/163/125
Start Date: Jan 14, 2008
Hmmm, this might give me the perfect excuse for finally upgrading my mixing bowls to stainless steel... LOL

Thanks for all the tips - I am going to attempt a SF Raspberry jell-o Oopsie cake right now. Wish me luck! If it turns out pretty, I may snap a quick pic w/ my cell phone (my 1 year old threw away my less than year old digital camera on Christmas day...)
CaPagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LaRae
Stats: 270/252.5/I'll know
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 11/19/12
Does anyone know if Guar Gum would work instead of Xanthum and would it be the same measurement? Thanks!
LaRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Hi all!

I just made the strawberry gelatin cake today. I iced with ricotta mixure (1 cup ricotta, 2 oz. cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tbsp thick n Thin not sugar and splenda to taste).

The stats I got for 10 servings:

Cal: 143
Fat: 10g
Fiber: 1g
Protein: 9g
Carb: 3g

Net carb: 2g per slice

I will post pics and let you know if the icing tastes good with it. I would like it to sit "cold" in the fridge for awhile.

THanks again to Cleo and critter34 for the recipe and creativity!!!!
babydollsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

I don't see why not, LaRae. The same measurement should work fine. Just remember to add gradually after whites have foamed up. Also, there are plenty of folks that don't use any gum or thickener and have had beautiful results.

Good luck, Capagrl! Not that I think you'll need it. I'm sure your dessert will be divine!

Those stats are almost as beautiful as that cake sounds, Babydollsea! Great job. Looks like I'm gonna have to try another of your creations. :P Thanks!

Last edited by swinglow; 02-15-2008 at 08:43 AM..
Old 02-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wenig
Stats: 5'8"
Start Date: 1/3/12
We had the strawberry oopsie cake last night for V-day and when we ate it I felt like cheating. I am glad I made it or I would have never taken another bite. It tasted like a heavy angel food cake...yummy. Usually I do not like sweet things but that cake was soooo good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 753.jpg (43.1 KB, 125 views)
wenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #70
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
wenig, what size cake pan did you use? Just a regular round pan or a cheesecake pan?

Thanks!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CaPagrl
Stats: 185/163/125
Start Date: Jan 14, 2008
My Raspberry cake

Well, it wasn't perfect (I used Pam in the pan, but really, really should have used parchment paper b/c the cake stuck pretty badly), but OMG is it deliscious!!! I've already had two slices

This is the cake fresh out of the oven (I baked at 300 for about 40-45 minutes):

And here it is all frosted (I'd cooled it on a cooling rack after about 10 minutes in the pan and frosted with about 1 C. heavy whipping cream mixed with 1/2 - 3/4's C. splenda and a couple TBSPs of cool whip just b/c I don't really like whipped heavy whipping cream's taste):

And the piece de resistance (said in my best phony French accent):

I couldn't convince my baby (20 mos. old) to take a bite b/c he wasn't hungry, but I've had to practically beat my ever-starving 8 year old off of it As I said, I've already had 2 slices - it is INCREDIBLE!!!

Oh, and for the record, I almost forgot the jello, so I added it as I was folding the yolks into the whites. And I only used about 1/2 of a small package b/c I didn't want the raspberry taste to be overwhelming. Also, I used about 1/4 - 1/2 of a cup of splenda in the egg whites when I was beating them b/c I wanted it to really be cake-like in sweetness. I'm just a junk food junkie that way

On a scale of 1-10, I'd definitely give it a 25!!
CaPagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Okay, thats it! Im off to check out my jello supply and make some flavour of cake..I hope my turns out like everyone elses..
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wenig
Stats: 5'8"
Start Date: 1/3/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedtolose View Post
wenig, what size cake pan did you use? Just a regular round pan or a cheesecake pan?

Thanks!
I used the 9 inch cake size spring form, sprayed it with Pam and nothing stuck. It shrunk a little in the pan and it came right off.
wenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: critter34
WOE: low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenig View Post
We had the strawberry oopsie cake last night for V-day and when we ate it I felt like cheating. I am glad I made it or I would have never taken another bite. It tasted like a heavy angel food cake...yummy. Usually I do not like sweet things but that cake was soooo good.
OMGosh that looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
critter34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenig View Post
I used the 9 inch cake size spring form, sprayed it with Pam and nothing stuck. It shrunk a little in the pan and it came right off.
Spring form! That's what I meant to say. Okay great, Thank You!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Well, because Im trying to stay around 20 carbs for the day, I calculated the carbs for this cake and I think its a bit higher than I initially thought..
I made the oopsie recipe but had to use ricotta cheese instead of cream cheese and added with 1/2 pk jello (3 carbs according to LindaSue) so the carbs for the cake alone are now around 8-9. I was going to ice with 1/2 cup whip cream and splenda..another 8.4 carbs, and for 6 ounces of strawberries, thats another 7 ish carbs..so at least 24 carbs for the iced cake and with 8 VERY small servings comes up at 3..I would probably want at least 2 slices to feel satisfied and for 6 carbs..I dont know..but it smells so good!

Do any of you feel that this is an okay amount of carbs to have for this dessert?
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Hi all!

I just made the strawberry gelatin cake today. I iced with ricotta mixure (1 cup ricotta, 2 oz. cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tbsp thick n Thin not sugar and splenda to taste).

The stats I got for 10 servings:

Cal: 143
Fat: 10g
Fiber: 1g
Protein: 9g
Carb: 3g

Net carb: 2g per slice

I will post pics and let you know if the icing tastes good with it. I would like it to sit "cold" in the fridge for awhile.

THanks again to Cleo and critter34 for the recipe and creativity!!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #78

Babydollsea, your cake looks so pretty!

I've got mine in the oven now. I hope it turns out as good as everyones!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Oh my, Babydollsea, that is beautiful! How does it taste? Do tell!

I dunno, Mallory, it's really up to you as to how much you can spare. Having had the boston eclair cake, I think you'll be satisfied with a smaller serving than 2. Also, 8 slices are some pretty large slices for a two layer cake. If you want to shave down the carb count even further, you could leave off the strawberries, maybe?

Carbwise, I think it's a bargain. And filling because of the protein content in the oopsies.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Hey girls...

The cake was moist! The icing was okay...I may just do the whipping cream thing instead of the ricotta blend I used. My daughter loved it. Does anyone have other icing recipes I could try?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #81

The only kind I use is whipped cream.
I frosted mine alreay, I hope it taste good. I did see some egg whites on the bottom of my cake.
I'm scared to try it! LOL

I made small one to try. I don't think I put enough jello in it. It's not too pink.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
You could use a cream cheese frosting, a sweetened mixtrue of cream cheese, heavy cream, sweetener, and vanilla.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #83

I finally tasted my cake and it wasn't too bad. I think mine was a little too soft. I mean it had a good flavor, I should have put the whole box of jello in it.
I will def make it again.
But I loves them Oopsie rolls for sure!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: greannmhar
Would plain gelatin and extra sweetener/flavouring work with this cake? I can only get aspartame sweetened jello here in Ireland and I'm trying to stay away from that. How much gelatin should I use? Does your box of jello make a pint? A sachet here of SF jello is made up to 1 pint of liquid.
Thanks for any help.
Babs
greannmhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Hey Determined, pop it in the fridge and feel much better about it tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: AnDee
Stats: 218/183..up 199.6...now 182.2..on the way down!
WOE: Uncomplicated LC - No Flour or Grains
Start Date: Oct. 18, 2004
[COLOR="Navy"]My first attempt looks pretty, but I'm not sure how it will taste. The pudding thickened the yokes too much, so it was hard to fold. I only added 1/2 the packet of pudding and added two packets of splenda, so it might not be sweet enough. Here's what it looks like straight out of the oven.
Tomorrow I'm going to make another one with the jello and add 2 tbs of the pudding. I love experimenting like this!

Anne

[/COLOR]

Last edited by AnDee; 02-15-2008 at 08:31 PM..
AnDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]I don't use SF Jello cause all I can get contains Aspartame, which I stay away from. I've made jello before using unsweetened gelatin & Kool Aid.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]So I decided to try the strawberry oopsie cake using that.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I actually added part of the Kool Aid to the whites, and the rest to the egg yolk/cream cheese mixtrue. I also added a tiny bit of the gelatin to the whites, the rest to the yolk mixture.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I added 1/4 tsp Sweetzfree.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I baked this in 4 mini bunt pans & 1 mini cake pan (both about 4"). So I had 5 little strawberry oopsie cakes.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I cooled one in the fridge for a little while, then topped with some whipped cream I had in the fridge. Oh, and I had tasted some of the crumbs, and saw that it was going to be really tangy, so before topping with the whipped cream, I drizzled some vanilla DaVinci over the "cake". [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Well, it is still too tangy for me, and not sweet enough. It's ok, but not great, In my opinion. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I'm not sure if I'd be crazy about it even if it weren't so tangy, and was sweeter tho. Pretty! Maybe it will taste a little better tomorrow. Some of this stuff does.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I had fogotten that the batch in the original strawberry cake recipe was doubled. I didn't want to double it anyway, but I should have only used half the kool aid I think. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Unless they taste a LOT better tomorrow, I'll not make them again. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]But others may really like this, if they only use half the kool aid, or double the oopsie batch, and add more sweetener.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Here's what they look like. Oh, and that's the cake made in the mini cake pan, not the bunt. Will have to make more whipped cream tomorrow to go with the others.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I ran this thru Master Cook, and I still got abt 1 carb for each "cake", not including whipped cream.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000](I still have never made plain Oopsies!)[/COLOR]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2150442.JPG (62.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg P2150443.JPG (58.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg P2150445.JPG (71.5 KB, 41 views)

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar View Post
Would plain gelatin and extra sweetener/flavouring work with this cake? I can only get aspartame sweetened jello here in Ireland and I'm trying to stay away from that. How much gelatin should I use? Does your box of jello make a pint? A sachet here of SF jello is made up to 1 pint of liquid.
Thanks for any help.
Babs
[COLOR=red]Babs, As you see in my post above it can be made with unfalvored gelatin & flavoring. I wasn't crazy about the outcome using the kool aid, cause it was too tangy for me. But I think you could use flavoring/extract & sweetener. I can't tell you how much flavoring you would need tho.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]And yes, the packages they are using is the 1 pint size.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]1 package of the unflavored gelatin (1 Tablespoon or abt 15 ML) is what you would use to equal that package of jello.[/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinglow View Post
Hey Determined, pop it in the fridge and feel much better about it tomorrow.
Denise, I did it eat cold and it was pretty good! I was surprised that it didn't taste like egg.

I was thinking the same thing about trying to use an unflavored gelatin. I bet if a Da Vinci syrup was used, maybe that would work, huh??
Old 02-16-2008, 07:13 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedtolose View Post
Denise, I did it eat cold and it was pretty good! I was surprised that it didn't taste like egg.

I was thinking the same thing about trying to use an unflavored gelatin. I bet if a Da Vinci syrup was used, maybe that would work, huh??
Oh, Determined, I'm glad! Yeah, there's something necessary about the chilling of it, kinda like cheesecake. I recognized your reaction immediately because it was so similar to my own. LOL But the next day, it was really yummy.

I think you guys are onto something with the gelatin/koolaide thing. Maybe the davinci's is just what's needed to take it from ok to wow. And a little time in the fridge, of course... :P