Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCfan03
WOE: Atkins or just low carb in general
Start Date: June 2003
Mock Cream of Wheat - My new creation

I was playing around with the idea of using shiritake noodles as a thickener for other things and came up with this one. I think it really works although I have a few things to try - I might end up tweaking it a bit.

1/2 cup shiritake noodles or pearls (rinsed VERY well and drained)
1 TBS heavy cream
1 packet splenda
1 TBS ground golden flax meal

Place all ingredients in a magic bullet or small food processor. Process until shiritake are completely pulverized. My magic bullet has a tendency to get sticky so I take it off - open it - bang the ingredients down and couple times and re-process. Depending upon how cold your source ingedients are - it might be the consistency of a paste. Don't worry. Put it in a bowl and microwave for 30-40 seconds. That will loosen it up considerably.

To me - this looks and tastes a LOT like cream of wheat with sugar and milk.

****** says one serving is:

96 calories
5 grams carbs (but four are pure fiber)
2 grams protein
8 grams fat

You could cut the fat down by using half and half, but I like the taste of heavy cream.

I used shiritake pearls, if you use noodles - you might need to cut them up into smaller pieces with a scissors to make them work in a magic bullet or processor. Basically, you need liquid for them to pulverize. You probably could also heat the ingredients first and then process it. As I ate it - I also thought if I added butter and salt instead of Splenda - it would taste like grits.

Somebody want to try this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: guysgirl
Stats: 169/ 125 /135 5'4"
WOE: with chopsticks
Start Date: may, 2004
I'm gonna try this for my husbands breakfast tommorrow, Thanks. I'll let you know the results.....
guysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Yumm...I bet you use the little container that comes with your Bullet?
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #4

Start Date: November 2007
What are those noodles/pearls and where can I find them?
DesperateLowCarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #5

Well, mine are called miracle noodles. You can search for them. Sometimes you can get the shiratake at Whole Foods, the Asian Food Markets, etc.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: J.A.
Stats: 190/188/130 5' 3.5"
WOE: Induction Atkins
I get my shiratake at our local Kroger's and also at Meijers.
J.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr Big1
Stats: 195/180/165
WOE: sb
Start Date: 11/1/08
Sounds yummy...I'm gonna give it a try!
Mr Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I did use the small container for the bullet although either would work. You can easily double the recipe for a larger portion. Then I would think you should use the larger bullet container.

I hope somebody tries this - I am curious if anyone else likes it or if I am just weird.
LCfan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Awww come on. Somebody try this! I want to know if it works for anyone else.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abvidrine
Stats: 185/157/125
WOE: Atkins and 17 Day Diet alternating
Start Date: too many to list
I ordered some noodles

I'll be trying it when my shiritake noodles come in. I ordered from Konjac and got the shiritake with no tofu.

After reading your post I did a search on these noodles and people are about 50/50 on them. Some love them and some hate them.
I'm a bit worried about those people that report getting sick in the middle of the night after eating these.
I'm going to make sure that I don't gorge myself on them and I drink lots of water since they are so high in fiber.

Since I am a South Louisiana girl, I love my grits. I am going to make the grits version.
Butter and Cheese is what I am going to do.
I'll let you know how it comes out.
I will be out of town next week when the noodles arrive, so I will not be able to make this until Feb 9th.

5'5"
abvidrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

One of the things I noticed about Shiritake noodles is that if I did not wash them really, really thoroughly - I would get stomach "issues" from them. I think there is something in the liquid they are stored in (for me) that bothers my stomach. So now, I take them and put them in a collander and rinse, rinse, rinse a LOT. I mean I let that water run for 3-4 whole minutes and I move them around a lot. I make sure I have gotten rid of all the fishy smell which they can have from that calcium carbonate solution (they are stored in). Then I let them drain and I shake off all the water I can. I also sometimes put them in towel and get them even drier depending upon what I'm going to use them for. If do I that - I have absolutely no issues.

My husband can eat them out of the bag with the solution (not really, but with no rinsing at all) and have no problem at all.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

OK, I made it today with my food processor instead of the magic bullet and it worked out a lot better. You have to use more ingredients because the recipe I mention isn't enough to fill up my food processor. So I put in about 6 servings worth (two bags of shiritake.)

I just can't believe how much this looked and tasted like cream of wheat. I seriously would not be able to tell the difference. I am sure I could fool someone. I am going to sneak some on my husband tonight and see what he says.

I added butter, salt and cheese to one bowl to see if I could make it taste like grits.......and it tasted like cream of wheat with butter, salt and cheese.

So, that needs work. I have no doubt someone would be able to make it work though.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ReneeD70
WOE: lchf
"My husband can eat them out of the bag with the solution (not really, but with no rinsing at all) and have no problem at all."

I haven't been brave enough to try these again since my first experience, BUT I love Cream of Wheat, so maybe I 'll give it a try.
ReneeD70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Here's a kind of similar approach to Indian Rice Pudding (Kheer) I posted a while back. Real Kheer usually has golden raisins which I have omitted because of the carbs. You could just make this Vanilla rice pudding by omitting the cardamom, cinnamon, and almonds, I guess.

Makes (4) 1/2 cup servings

Approx stats per 1/2 cup:
32 cals, 1.75 fat, 2.5 carb, 1.75 protein

1 1/2 cups shirataki noodles, food- processed to rice grain size
1/2 cup vanilla syrup (I used DaVinci)
1/2 cup milk(almond or calorie countdown)
1 teaspoon Thick n Thin or xantham gum to desired consistency
3 teaspoons SF instant pudding mix (White chocolate or vanilla)
1 tablespoon almonds, slivered
1 pinch cardamom plus cinnamon if desired
2 tablespoons Splenda granular (or Quick pack equivalent would be better)

1. Rinse shirataki well. Process shirataki to rice size.
2. Mix thickener into syrup and let sit until it thickens a bit.
3. Add milk and pudding. Whisk for 3 minutes until thick.
4. Mix in shirataki, cardamom, Splenda and almonds.
5. Distribute into 4 small dessert bowls or ramekins and chill.

-Susan
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:12 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Ok, JuliaS, I decided to try this tonight, even though I've already eaten supper. I just got in a new shipment of the miracle noodles, although they weren't the pearls but the spagetti style noodles.
You are right, it does taste alot like Cream of Wheat. I had to double the recipe, so I could use up the entire package of shirataki. I didn't read your instructions closely enough, so I added more cream and some water because it was so thick. I used a pat of butter and some almond milk when it came out of the microwave, and I used more splenda, since I like my hot cereals pretty sweet.
I couldn't tell the "off" smell or taste of the shirataki, and rinsed it for a couple of minutes under hot running water before I put them in the bullet.
Think you have a winner here.
Thanks
lindaokc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Really, just like cream of wheat! This is great--I added cinnamon, butter, and some brown diabetisweet on top--such excellent comfort food!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Bravo Julia!

I just tried this with a couple of tweaks 'cause I'm low calorie as well as low carb. I used Calorie Countdown milk instead of cream, 1/2 tbsp flax, 1/2 tbsp protein powder (cause it has less cals than the flax and I'm not all that fond of flax taste) and some butter extract plus Splenda quick pack. Dash of salt, too. Nuked for approx 40 seconds. Pretty darned good!

Came in at around 26 calories, 1 gram fat, less than 1 carb for the 1/2 cup serving. Can't beat that!

This will make a nice addition to my breakfasts. I think I'll grind up several portions of the noodles all at once, without the other ingredients, and bag them for the week so I won't have to bullet every morning.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Susan
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Wow. This was impressive. If I had a dime for every time someone told me that some low carb substitute tasted "just like" a high carb alternative, I'd be a very rich woman.

This one comes close enough to be a new favorite. The savory finished version doesn't have the same clean finish as cream of wheat, but the sweet version is spot on.

Thank you so much for suggesting this. I'd have never tried it otherwise, and now I will have a new favorite breakfast food.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
had this again this morning and added vanilla protein powder so it would be a little more sustaining thru the morning--delicious!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

OK, I went back and rechecked how I entered the shiritake in ****** and I don't think I did it right. I didn't give them enough fiber grams. So I am going to revise my recipe slightly (just to show how to make it with a full bag of Shiritake and also then the ****** count revised for the correct fiber. I have decided to just split the whole thing into two servings instead of slightly more than two so the calorie count will go up per serving because the serving size is going up a little. With this recipe - you just cut the entire amount in half (a little more than half a cup per serving):

One bag Shiritake noodles - rinsed and drained very well (about a cup and a third)
2 TBS golden flax meal
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 packets Splenda

Put everything in a food processor and process until the shiritake pearls or noodles are completely pulverized. Just stop and look at it - if it looks like cream of wheat and there aren't any big pieces of shiritake left - then it is done. In mine - it take a minute or two.

Take it all out and microwave for about 30-40 seconds per serving.

Divide this batch into two servings - maybe 2/3 cup each

Per serving nutritional info:

149 calories
14 g fat
9 g carbs (but 7 are fiber)
2 g protein

As I said before - you could def cut down on the fat and calories by substituting for the cream and reducing the flax if you wanted.

(I use only golden flax because I can't stand the taste of the other)
Old 02-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the info, JuliaS and thanks for the new recipe also.

Thank you too, Susan (retroworx) for your yummy Indian Rice Pudding recipe. Gonna try it when I get to the store and get cardamom

Love it when I can find low carb recipes that are easy to fix
Old 02-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Has anybody upped the protein with protein powder? How did it work? I seem to need more protein for a meal. . .
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Janie,
I haven't but others on this thread have. Think I might try it also next time.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
About the grits attempt. . .I bet if you whirred in at the last minute 1-2 T. almond meal, or after you process it, along with an egg. . .and into the oven you'd have a cheese grits souffle. . .okay. . .maybe 2 eggs! Don't forget garlic and a dash of tabasco. . .hey, I think I'll make this for my superbowl. . .LOL. (I love this dish with sweet hot pickles I get by draining hamburger dills, sweetening with splenda and adding a bottle of hot sauce. Then let sit in the fridge for at least a day. . .and voila! hot sweet pickles)

There is also soy grits. . .but I try to avoid soy, when I possibly can.

Happy superbowl everyone!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
since grits are "corn-based" maybe adding a few of those miniature corn cobs will add to the flavor & texture or grits...i have noodles, canned mini-corn & a mini-processor...guess i'll volunteer for this one!
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

well, that didn't take long! I simply whirred a package of House noodles (fettucini) and a 1/4 c. of baby corn (net 1 carb) a little butter & salt & nuked 60 sec....quite tasty flavor but the "grits" were really wet and sorta loose. I have them draining now in a coffee-fliter lined seive...they may work very well for the souffle magnamaster suggested...on their own they aren't "starchy" enough to bind together without the flax as Julia mentioned in her original post...guess i should try adding the flax & see what happens???
Old 02-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

yes, the flax made all the difference texture-wise but added a "wheaty" taste to the grits that even onion powder, hot sauce & sharp cheddar couldn't mask... but now i can sure see why these ingredients make a great cream of wheat sub....and i know what's for breakfast tomorrow morning!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting, Bigmomma- thanks for trying that out.

I agree that it is the flax that is the glue that puts it all together. If I mix ground flax with just hot water it makes a very "gluey" glob - so I can see that it is what it binding the shiritake bits.

Now, there is something about grits (to me) that is somewhat more "slippery" and also "gritty" that I think we just can't get with either shiritake or with flax. Maybe if you just added a teaspoonful of cornmeal and then something like xanthan gum? (I mean instead of flax.) I've never worked with xanthan gum though so don't know how it works.

I also tried processing shiritake with chicken broth and found it was like chicken flavored applesauce. Yucky in texture, but probably could be useful in a recipe for something. Still trying to figure out how to make it into something though......? I was hoping to make it like a creamy chicken sauce but again, without the flax to bind, the shiritake didn't stick together no matter how small the bits. At the very least, this has been a fun ingredient to experiment with!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

[ At the very least, this has been a fun ingredient to experiment with![/QUOTE]
I hear ya Julia! I was so hoping to see someone come up with a pudding type dessert using the noodles...unless I missed it i don't think i've seen one yet...maybe your "cereal" with beaten eggs, a splash of da vinci & some nice spices would make a nice custardy sweet??
Old 02-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #30

Hi guys..

Didn't want to bother to get the flax, so I did a plain miracle noodle in the Bullet, with cream, splenda, cinnamon..It was very good and very cream of wheaty..

Okay..Let's talk grits, guys. You can buy a low carb grits extender product by the Not Sugar peeps. You ate a touch of REAL grits to the extender..cook like regular grits..throw in some cheese..and nommie, nommie..nommie..

Here is the product, but Netrition doesn't carry it anymore..

Expert Extras Grits Mix extender

Last edited by CarolynF; 02-03-2008 at 03:07 PM..