Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
Julia, just wanted to add that i added an egg to your original recipe (along with more sweetner, vanilla ex. & pie spices) it was really good! sorta like bread pudding...will make a wholesome breakfast.
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi guys..

Didn't want to bother to get the flax, so I did a plain miracle noodle in the Bullet, with cream, splenda, cinnamon..It was very good and very cream of wheaty..

Okay..Let's talk grits, guys. You can buy a low carb grits extender product by the Not Sugar peeps. You ate a touch of REAL grits to the extender..cook like regular grits..throw in some cheese..and nommie, nommie..nommie..

Here is the product, but Netrition doesn't carry it anymore..

Expert Extras Grits Mix extender
Here's a recipe from Low Carb Luxury that I haven't tried that might be able to be adapted (flax in place of wheat bran, etc) without the Grits Extender. I haven't tried it, (believe it or not, this gal has never had grits, so I wouldn't know how close this comes) tho I have made a mock oatmeal in the past with some egg whites, xanthan, etc.

Low Carb Hot Breakfast Cereal

Ingredients:

* 2 Tablespoons egg white powder (Just Whites brand is great!)
* 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
* 2 Tablespoons wheat bran
* 1 1/4 cups warm water
* 2 packets Splenda (or sweetener to taste)
* dash of cinnamon to taste
* Heavy Cream, very cold

Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Gradually add water to dry mix using wire whisk. Microwave in large bowl on high for two minutes, stirring halfway through. It will fluff up to several times its volume and have the consitency of cream of wheat or cream of rice. If desired add a splash of very cold cream. Alternatively, you can leave out the sweetener and add warm butter for a creamy "grits" like accompaniment to morning eggs and bacon.

Makes 2 servings. 1 carb per serving (adjust this if you add cream, or for sweetener that adds carbs.)

-Susan
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCfan03
WOE: Atkins or just low carb in general
Start Date: June 2003
Bigmomma - did you cook your concoction? Can you post the recipe? I don't think my recipe which only microwaves about 30 seconds would be enough to cook an egg. I'm having a hard time picturing yours - is it like a casserole? quiche?

Actually, adding ground up shiritake would be a neat way to add fiber and fullness to a quiche without taste or calories. Hmmmmm....
LCfan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
Julia, for my "pudding" I put the noodles, flax, egg, cc milk (about 1/8 c.) sweetner, a tiny splash of vanilla & spices (cinnamon & nutneg) into the blender then nuked on 50% power for about 11 minutes (i checked it after 8 mins & it was still "jiggly" wet). The texture was sorta semi solid when it cooled. I'm thinking I'd like to try this again & maybe add cottage cheese for even more "nutrition/protein"...and I agree, since shiritaki noodles add "bulk" to dishes for almost no carbs or cals. & without adding any of their own flavor, maybe pureed it can be used like a Z-Trim type of filler to make casseroles, desserts, maybe even sauces "stretch" farther...oh and to answer you orig. question, my dessert looked more like a custard than pudding...think flan.

edited to add, i used 50% power cuz i was afraid of the bowl overflowing in the micro. It would probably cook in 2 mins on full power if i used a biger, deeper bowl

Last edited by bigmomma; 02-04-2008 at 03:10 PM..
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:17 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
You can buy the glucomannan powder, which is what they make shirataki out of, to thicken sauces and puddings. Lately I have been trying it in my angel food cake recipe instead of xantham. The recipe is not perfected yet, but my mistakes are getting better and better tasting.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Soobee! I ordered some of that powder and it just came yesterday. I have not the slightest idea of what to do with it though. Have you tried it in other things? Does it work as a traditional thickener? Do you have anything to share?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
[COLOR="Red"]Have you guys thought about using wheat bran in place of flax meal?. Below is a recipe I use all the time and it is very good, but I would like to try this one as well[/COLOR]

Cream of wheat
1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1/4 cup H/H
1 egg
2 tbsp wheat bran
dash salt

mix using wire whisk over medium heat until just hot thick, cook too long and you'll get scrambled eggs.
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Tater Head - sounds interesting. I happen to be allergic to wheat, so I can't try that (actually it is possible wheat bran would be ok, but I'm afraid to try) Somebody else should try and compare though.

I got out my gluocomann powder today and put it in a shaker container. I made a small cup of beef boullion. I then took it and shook a little powder on top of it to see what would happen. Pow! It was like instant gelatin! Weird!!!!! I tried to stir it in and then put one more shake on it and suddenly it was WAY too much. It was like a gelatinous ball of gook. Nasty and inedible. So, a little goes a LONG way with that stuff - for sure! I'm going to have to try again but with a whole lot less of it with a lot more liquid. Before it firmed up - it looked like how corn starch would look if you added it to broth. I need to find someone who has been successful with this stuff....
Old 02-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
To make a pudding consistency, you need 1 t per cup of liquid. If you wanted a gravy consistency, you would need less. I am experimenting with it in baking and frostings.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Wonder how they make the shirataki noodles out of this?
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Hey, just wanted to post that I made this with a teaspoon of cocoa powder to see if it might taste better or like malt-o-meal. It was not a significant improvement in my opinion. I have also used a variety of DaVinci syrups (fruit flavors and caramel) to see how they impact it. Again - I didn't really find a favorite. I still like the original.

Just as an FYI - I ground up more shiritake and added it to that cauliflower recipe that is so popular (the one baked with cheese, cream cheese, etc.) I though it would seem like rice. It was an interesting addition. It adds fiber and no taste and so could be a nice way to stretch out that recipe regarding calories too. It did seem a bit dry to me though and I am not sure if the shiritake was to blame. I might have overcooked it.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
Hey Julia,

I made this exactly like the first recipe you posted and I think it is WONDERFUL!

I had a package of Rigatoni shaped MIRACLE NOODLES (far better than the tofu Shirataki IMO). I had no clue what I would do with this shape, just too much "noodle" for me, but now I do !

Thanks for the great breakfast I had this A.M.
NGJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome! so glad to hear someone else likes it. The first recipe is my favorite still. I've tried variations but nothing has been as good to me.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crmcdonald
Stats: 231
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: February 11, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Here's a kind of similar approach to Indian Rice Pudding (Kheer) I posted a while back. Real Kheer usually has golden raisins which I have omitted because of the carbs. You could just make this Vanilla rice pudding by omitting the cardamom, cinnamon, and almonds, I guess.

Makes (4) 1/2 cup servings

Approx stats per 1/2 cup:
32 cals, 1.75 fat, 2.5 carb, 1.75 protein

1 1/2 cups shirataki noodles, food- processed to rice grain size
1/2 cup vanilla syrup (I used DaVinci)
1/2 cup milk(almond or calorie countdown)
1 teaspoon Thick n Thin or xantham gum to desired consistency
3 teaspoons SF instant pudding mix (White chocolate or vanilla)
1 tablespoon almonds, slivered
1 pinch cardamom plus cinnamon if desired
2 tablespoons Splenda granular (or Quick pack equivalent would be better)

1. Rinse shirataki well. Process shirataki to rice size.
2. Mix thickener into syrup and let sit until it thickens a bit.
3. Add milk and pudding. Whisk for 3 minutes until thick.
4. Mix in shirataki, cardamom, Splenda and almonds.
5. Distribute into 4 small dessert bowls or ramekins and chill.

-Susan
Hi, Susan: In your recipe, you refer to "sf white chocolate pudding." I have never seen this flavor. Is it instant or cooked pudding? What is the brand? Thanks. Carol
crmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Carol:

The pudding is a pretty obscure Jello flavor (I believe I purchased mine from Amazon), which is why I mention you can substitute with the vanilla. I find the vanilla to be a little chemical tasting, while the white chocolate is more neutral, somehow. Here's a link to Jello SF puddings:

JELL-O Fat-Free/Sugar-Free Instant Pudding - JELL-O Gelatin, Pudding, and No-Bake Desserts

Look out for the carbs in these puddings, btw, and make sure you can afford them in your plan.

HTH,

Susan
Old 02-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crmcdonald
Stats: 231
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: February 11, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Hi Carol:

The pudding is a pretty obscure Jello flavor (I believe I purchased mine from Amazon), which is why I mention you can substitute with the vanilla. I find the vanilla to be a little chemical tasting, while the white chocolate is more neutral, somehow. Here's a link to Jello SF puddings:

JELL-O Fat-Free/Sugar-Free Instant Pudding - JELL-O Gelatin, Pudding, and No-Bake Desserts

Look out for the carbs in these puddings, btw, and make sure you can afford them in your plan.

HTH,

Susan
Thanks! I would use Carb Countdown to make the pudding; however, there are still a good number of carbs in a serving.

I was wondering...has anyone used Almond milk to make pudding? It's a lot thinner than milk or CCountdown, so it may not work. A lot fewer carbs, though. Carol
crmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Carol:

I've used Almond Milk in the instant puddings -- works just fine.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jammer
Stats: 203/140/139, sz 14/6/6
WOE: BFFM - Gluten Free
Start Date: (w/Atkins) 2/18/2001
JuliaS, where did you buy your glucomannan powder? I've only found it in stores in capsule form,and I would like it in powder form in a bag.

Thanks!!
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

I order from Konjac Foods

They sell the noodles in all kinds of shapes and the powder itself.

They also ship really fast!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Anyone done anything interesting with the glucomannan powder since we last discussed it? Mine's still just settin' here. . . waiting for inspiration!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jammer
Stats: 203/140/139, sz 14/6/6
WOE: BFFM - Gluten Free
Start Date: (w/Atkins) 2/18/2001
Thanks, JuliaS!!
Oh my GOSH, I can't wait to get my hands on this stuff. you need inspiration? Well, I took 4 capsules last night, broke them up, put them in with egg whites, 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese and 1.5 TBSP of peanut butter, a bit of Splenda, and made peanut butter omelettes for dinner. So nice and fluffy. Sounds weird, I know, but I think I am going to try waffles tomorrow morning. I think I can get away with using less oat bran, oat flour, oatmeal, and lowcarb baking mix by using this stuff. So, it'll cut down on my cals and carbs at the same time, AND be good for me. More fiber= good for you!
The key to success – in anything – isn't extraordinary, superhuman effort. It's daily action. You find a set of actions that you believe will produce good results if you follow them consistently, and then you follow them consistently. Just focus on taking small consistent steps, and suddenly you'll discover that you've arrived.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
Are any of you people, like me, that thought the shiratake noodles were horrible?

I am just curious if you now thing that they taste great as this cereal. I bought 6 packs of them and threw out 5 packs because the taste was wretched, in my opinion.

gs
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingsmaller View Post
Are any of you people, like me, that thought the shiratake noodles were horrible?

I am just curious if you now thing that they taste great as this cereal. I bought 6 packs of them and threw out 5 packs because the taste was wretched, in my opinion.

gs
It's not usually the taste that gets people, but the texture
Old 06-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Thank you Julia S for the cream of wheat recipe, and to Retroworx, for the Indian Pudding recipe. I have about six packages of shirataki noodles that are about to expire. I don't eat them by themselves much, anymore...and was wondering what to do with them.

BTW, I didn't know they made them without tofu...I'll check that out.
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle View Post
Thank you Julia S for the cream of wheat recipe, and to Retroworx, for the Indian Pudding recipe. I have about six packages of shirataki noodles that are about to expire. I don't eat them by themselves much, anymore...and was wondering what to do with them.

BTW, I didn't know they made them without tofu...I'll check that out.
You are quite welcome, Melle.

Have you seen this post about making mashed ShiraTatoes with the noodles?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-potatoes.html

Will you try it out for me and tell me how it works for you? Carolyn seems to be getting a different result and I can't quite figure out why. . . .

Let me know if you try it and whether your noodles are the tofu kind or not.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Paleo|Primal Newbie
Yes, I will try them, tomorrow. I have the Shirataki Tofu Noodles. Last time I was at the store, I bought about 8 packages. But, I found them to be kind of rubbery, so they are still in the crisper drawer of my fridge. They expire in a couple of days, so I want to get them cooked. I hope to find some good recipes, for these. I really like them...but I just can't get them chewed-up. So, maybe chopping them in the food processor, will help.
Sugar Free Sweet Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
This recipe is simply wonderful!!

I added a bit of butter and some cinnamon before popping it in the microwave (still in the small bullet cup). This is a one-dish wonder!! You are now added to my recipe book!! (even DH liked it but just about barfed when I told him what it actually was!)

Kris
Kris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kare30bear
Stats: 5' 3": 201(16/17)/137.4(5/6)/120(?)
WOE: LC/JUDDD (6/20/12)
Start Date: LC 3/7/11; restarted LC 4/30/12; JUDDD 6/20/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfan03 View Post
I was playing around with the idea of using shiritake noodles as a thickener for other things and came up with this one. I think it really works although I have a few things to try - I might end up tweaking it a bit.

1/2 cup shiritake noodles or pearls (rinsed VERY well and drained)
1 TBS heavy cream
1 packet splenda
1 TBS ground golden flax meal

Place all ingredients in a magic bullet or small food processor. Process until shiritake are completely pulverized. My magic bullet has a tendency to get sticky so I take it off - open it - bang the ingredients down and couple times and re-process. Depending upon how cold your source ingedients are - it might be the consistency of a paste. Don't worry. Put it in a bowl and microwave for 30-40 seconds. That will loosen it up considerably.

To me - this looks and tastes a LOT like cream of wheat with sugar and milk.
Tried this for breakfast today and LOVE it!! The only thing I did was add some cinnamon, but hubby likes it too. Thank you SO much for coming up with this...it's going into my recipe box to keep!!
kare30bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zudy
WOE: vlc
Finally tried this and it's great! I made a couple of changes. Instead of processing the cream with the shirataki and flax meal, I put in a T of water. Had to micro it for about two mins total because it was too "wet" at one min. Then I used the 1 T. cream (and some butter) on top, which I would have done anyway! It tasted more like oatmeal than cream of wheat to me, however maybe that's because the flax I used was Trader Joe's Toasted Golden Flax..yummy!
zudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

this is such an old thread! I am so glad somebody found it and tried that recipe again. I thought it was so cool that you could make shiritake taste like hot cereal!