Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #991
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/234/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
No recipes for the cheesecakes yet. Last year when I made those, I used spenda and ewwie! Not nummy. I am using steviua now, so let me play with the recipe and try again. The recipe is super pretty, but I have to say, the way I made the recipe with the splenda was the grode.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #992
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
No recipes for the cheesecakes yet. Last year when I made those, I used spenda and ewwie! Not nummy. I am using steviua now, so let me play with the recipe and try again. The recipe is super pretty, but I have to say, the way I made the recipe with the splenda was the grode.
Glad to see you back posting. Can you bake or cook with Stevia? I thought I had read someplace that you can't, comments?
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #993
something there

I bake with stevia. The hardest thing is bulking. A tbsp of stevia might suffice for 1/2-1 cup of sugar. That's a lot of bulk you end up losing. As such, it's important to consider other fillers that allow for the bulking without sacrificing flavor, texture or carb count.

It's great to see you, vli!!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #994
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
I bake with stevia. The hardest thing is bulking. A tbsp of stevia might suffice for 1/2-1 cup of sugar. That's a lot of bulk you end up losing. As such, it's important to consider other fillers that allow for the bulking without sacrificing flavor, texture or carb count.

It's great to see you, vli!!
As far as bulking goes, the same holds true with Splenda. It provides no bulking! The "bulk" completely melts away, it is only to help measure it cup for cup.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #995
something there

So, true! I think people loved the Splenda baking powder in the big bag for that reason. I'd be concerned that the element used for bulking would be sugar alcohols, so I'm trying to think outside of the box a little bit.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #996
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
Start Date: May 2007
Okay-- so I have a quandary-- I need a substitution for a Baguette--so I can make New Orleans Po'Boys. Any ideas?
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #997
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaseMama
Stats: 182/165.4/145
WOE: This week.... who knows?
Start Date: 2/2/2009
Erica - just make the oopsies in the shape of a baguette...
ChaseMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #998
something there

They so won't be crisp and flaky though. Oopsies don't get crusty, and when they do, they may crumble.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #999
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
They so won't be crisp and flaky though. Oopsies don't get crusty, and when they do, they may crumble.
Hey, Cleo! Hmmmmn. It may work, though-- what I'm obsessed (obsessed, I tell you!) with making is a New Orleans Catfish Po'Boy. I can low carb everything but the bun... but this might work.

Hmmmmn. I might try making a hybrid between your oopsies and my pork rind buns... I'll let you know if it works.

I feel like I need some sort of shadowy art deco lab with lots of arcane looking glass bottles and tubes glowing with luminescent liquids, and a good thunderstorm!
Erica L. Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #1000
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: surrealchereal
OK, well when preparing the oopsie, you can't use one of those stick blenders- they won't peak the whites. My whisk didn't do a great job, my arm fell off before they were firm. I did the egg yoke mixture 2nd (it was reccomended if you were using the same mixer). I don't have mixing bowls so the plastic glad bowl didn't help and it took me forever to get the cream cheese beat into the egg yokes.

By then the peaks I had fallen. It was too hot in here after all the heat I generated beating everything up. I refused to throw it away so I have a thin layer on the cookie sheet baking. It will be the thickness of paper when it comes out of the oven... but perhaps I have created a new low carb communion wafer? I'll keep my fingers crossed, who knows this could make me rich!

Whoops! it also cooks in 6 minutes- I cooked it for 15. It is just the right size for a door mat... hmmmm

Last edited by surrealchereal; 08-14-2009 at 12:54 PM..
surrealchereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #1001
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: why soitenly
Stats: 245/169.2/150
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 03/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
Hey, Cleo! Hmmmmn. It may work, though-- what I'm obsessed (obsessed, I tell you!) with making is a New Orleans Catfish Po'Boy. I can low carb everything but the bun... but this might work.

Hmmmmn. I might try making a hybrid between your oopsies and my pork rind buns... I'll let you know if it works.

I feel like I need some sort of shadowy art deco lab with lots of arcane looking glass bottles and tubes glowing with luminescent liquids, and a good thunderstorm!

Don't want to threadjack but can I get the recipe for the pork rind buns Erica mentioned? Thanks
why soitenly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #1002
Senior LCF Member

Here ya go
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post11635579
Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #1003
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealchereal View Post
Thanks for sharing this recipe, I am anxious to try this.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #1004
Senior LCF Member

I don't have pam, will they stick if I use olive oil on the pan?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #1005
Senior LCF Member

Yes they stuck and the oven in my apartment is not right. I had to take them out at 25 minutes. They were brown. But dang what a great way to eat a burger!! yea!!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #1006
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tskb
Stats: 219.6/160
WOE: Atkins 7/8/13
My first attept of oopsies are cooking as we speak. I am so nervous because I can barely boil water!! lol But they look okay. I wasnt sure on the egg yolks it seemed really runny before I mixed into the egg whites. Also can you 'over' fold the egg mixtures?
tskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #1007
Senior LCF Member

Well, how did they work? yum yum?
Yes the yokes will be runny. If you overfold your egg whites will collapse because the air is forced out of them.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #1008
Senior LCF Member

They are not flat and look good. I took pics I will upload. I havent tasted them yet.

Last edited by tskb; 08-22-2009 at 10:21 AM..
Old 08-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #1009
Senior LCF Member

Well I was going to try and post picture but struggling. I did cut one in half to have a ham and cheese sandwich to test them out and I was surprised that it wasnt so bad. I mean I shouldnt have been only because every one raves about them. I was surprised how light they felt and tasted. Kinda spongy not sure that is the right word but they didnt fall apart.

Last edited by tskb; 08-22-2009 at 10:32 AM..
Old 08-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #1010
Major LCF Poster!

Sherry, they'll taste better tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #1011
Senior LCF Member

So do you just let them sit out or put them in bags?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #1012
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tskb View Post
So do you just let them sit out or put them in bags?
Sherri, after they have cooled, you should put them in a plastic bag, but don't seal it completely. You should store them in the fridge (especially if your home is prone to molding, as mine is). (I'm actually surprised that breads & etc. mold so quickly in my home, since the humidity here is very low - dry. But things do. I think tho it may be because of the rock wall that we have in the living room with moss.)

If things don't mold quickly in your home, you may get by with leaving them out longer.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #1013
Senior LCF Member

Wondering what the texture should be like on these? Just want to make sure mine came out right. I put them in the fridge left corner of the bag open and they were sticky this morning so set them out to see if that helps.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #1014
Major LCF Poster!

I'm afraid that's pretty normal Sherri.
Taking them out a few minutes before using them is the best thing to do.
I also usually put a paper towel in with them, which helps to absorb some of the moisture (but not all).
The will probably be a little bit firmer, and not quite as hmmmm what's the word I'm looking for.... sorry it escaped me after refridgeration. Any additives other than the original recipe will affect the texture, but you usually still get that sticky after storage. But try leaving the bag a little more open, and it may help some.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #1015
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for helping. Although they have held up for the sandwichs I have had I just cant imagine it working on a heavy hamburger. They seem fragile...lol Seeing some of the other pics there are chunks of cream cheese that is visible and I do not have that so wondering if over doing the yolks broken them down to much. I will try less mixing on the yolks next time.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #1016
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Quote:
Wondering what the texture should be like on these? Just want to make sure mine came out right. I put them in the fridge left corner of the bag open and they were sticky this morning so set them out to see if that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
I'm afraid that's pretty normal Sherri.
Taking them out a few minutes before using them is the best thing to do.
I also usually put a paper towel in with them, which helps to absorb some of the moisture (but not all).
The will probably be a little bit firmer, and not quite as hmmmm what's the word I'm looking for.... sorry it escaped me after refridgeration. Any additives other than the original recipe will affect the texture, but you usually still get that sticky after storage. But try leaving the bag a little more open, and it may help some.

A lot of the stickiness factor has to do with dewpoint and humidity, since all the cream cheese in them attracts moisture from the air.

In dry climates (wintertime in Colorado, for example), they will readily dry out and lose stickiness at room temperature, then can be stored away without becoming sticky again.

In humid climates (the east coast, the south, etc), they will only continue to absorb more moisture from the air if you leave them out. Putting them in the fridge keeps them from absorbing more humidity than what's gets into the bag before storage, but limits how much they can absorb.

I've found that in my humid enviroment (the dewpoint was 73 when I got up this morning, with relative humidity at 95%; it's now dropped to a much less soupy dewpoint of 66 with only 66% humidity, and it's still quite humid), I need to bake them at a slightly higher temperature (325ish) OR for a slightly longer time (+5 minutes) to dry them out a little more. They end up browner than usual, and I still need to bag them and refrigerate as soon as they're cool, or else they'll still start absorbing moisture from the air. When I get them out of the fridge to use, if they're not already too brown, I may still need to put them in the toaster oven to dry out a bit to remove some of the stickiness.

Still, they're tasty and just the thing for burgers and sandwiches of all kinds, so it's worth the little bit of extra hassle.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #1017
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Quote:
Thanks for helping. Although they have held up for the sandwichs I have had I just cant imagine it working on a heavy hamburger. They seem fragile...lol Seeing some of the other pics there are chunks of cream cheese that is visible and I do not have that so wondering if over doing the yolks broken them down to much. I will try less mixing on the yolks next time.
I mix the cream cheese and yolks thoroughly, with hardly any chunks of cream cheese still showing at all, and have absolutely no problem with them holding up to a BIG burger, or chunky chicken salad, etc.

If yours feel fragile, you may need to bake them a bit longer next time, or at a slightly higher temperature. Ovens vary in accuracy, so it's possible that your first batch may not be cooked firmly enough all the way through.
Madam De Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #1018
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam De Leon View Post

In dry climates (wintertime in Colorado, for example), they will readily dry out and lose stickiness at room temperature, then can be stored away without becoming sticky again.
You would think that! But.... I live in WY and it is extremely dry here. I made them in the winter (when it is the dryest), after I let them cool & dry outside the fridge for quite some time, when I put them in the fridge, they DO still get sticky. Course things do oddly for me that they don't seem to do for others.
That being said, I also do know that the more humid the environment, the harder it will be to dry them out.

I always add some protein powder and/or flax meal to mine, to help the to be less fradgile. I just like them better that way also. Actually haven't made them this summer.

As for baking them longer as one poster said, you have to be careful, or you'll dry them out too much, (and they can still get sticky later) and they can become too brittle.

Also, I beat the cream cheese into my yolks (with the added protein/flax) quite thoroughly. It is when you start to add them to the whites that you really need to be careful about over mixing. (Cleo does leave little chunks of cream cheese in hers.) Again, I found that I need the added protein and/or flax meal to make them more sturdy. Still they still don't usually stay up to a big juicy burger for me. But then, neither does regular hamburger buns quite often!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #1019
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DoradoDave
Stats: 220 190
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2006
Okay, I made them and they came out like the photos. The taste is like a light omelet but should work fine for a BLT. I will know in a few minutes. I too would like more body to them and will try protein powder and other things. I thing a few dried onion flakes might help too.

Erica I am anxious to hear more on your hybrid with pork rinds.

Dave
DoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #1020
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ssimom
Stats: 335 before WLS (DS)/lowest 140/CW169/GW145
WOE: WLS (Duodenal Switch) and low carb
Start Date: Switched on 1/9/04//Recommitting to LC 9/09
So excited to try all of these recipes! Thanks!
ssimom is offline   Reply With Quote