Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #931
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: THINNER-2003
Stats: (2003)189.6/110/120-- (2009)190/142/120
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 2-26-03 --- 1-5-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tikes View Post
Look back on page 5 of this link: I can't believe how long this thread is! Kudos to all of you on your cooking and experimentation, I'm making these today!

Cleochatra's Best Ever Revol-Oopsie Rolls

3 large eggs
1 pkg Splenda
dash of salt
pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp!) Do not soften!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Makes 6@ about 85 calories a piece, >1 carb per
Why are these called "oopsies" now? They used to be called revolution rolls?
I wish i could find the original recipe. I don't think it included splenda and cream of tartar last time- but in any case, I can't eat those with the splenda in it and really don't want to go buy cream of tartar and don't know how my body will handle that either.
sigh....
THINNER-2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #932
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3tikes
Stats: 175/155/141 reached goal in 2004
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: January 2009
I think in this thread, people stated that these taste better and hold together much better. I used stevia in my "sweet" batch and some erythritol also - I like to mix my sweeteners together - I feel it does get rid of some aftertaste. I think you could use most any sweetener......... I've put so much different things in the yolks and they come out great!
3tikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #933
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by THINNER-2003 View Post
I wish i could find the original recipe. I don't think it included splenda and cream of tartar last time- but in any case, I can't eat those with the splenda in it and really don't want to go buy cream of tartar and don't know how my body will handle that either.
sigh....
These have twice the amount of cream cheese as Revolution Rolls do. (Actually, the original RRs in Atkins '72 use cottage cheese, but many people have substituted cream cheese over the years.)

They're called "oopsies" because Cleochatra doubled the amount by accident -- oopsie! -- and discovered that the result was far, far better than the original, which tended to crumble easily.

Sweetener of any kind is totally optional. Skip the Splenda if you wish. (I've never put sweetener in my oopsies.)

Cream of tartar is optional. It gives the egg whites a little boost as far as fluffiness, but I usually skip it. It's more of a subtle enhancement than a necessity.

The important thing is to beat the whites until they're stiff, like the top of a lemon meringue pie. If you can't turn the mixing bowl upside down, you haven't gone far enough.

Happy cooking, and good luck!

2009 JUDDDD SUCCESS STORY
6/8-149; 6/11-147; 6/18-145; 6/20-144; 6/23-145; 6/25-146; 6/27-145; 6/29-146; 7/2-144; 7/4-143; 7/7-142; 7/9-141; 7/11-140; 7/14-141; 7/30-139; 8/1-138
VFT August 1 after 8 weeks of alternate-day dieting!

Last edited by weasel!; 02-06-2009 at 07:21 AM..
weasel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #934
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnScorpio View Post
Its my egg whites that are giving me the problem. I thought I had it today, they didn't fall off the spoon when I turned it upside down but I guess that didn't mean much . I left the eggs out until they were at room temperature, chilled the bowl I mixed them in and everything else I saw for tips. Maybe its because I used a mixer instead of a hand mixer?
Excellent question! In my experience, a hand mixer is much better for a few egg whites than a stand mixer, because you can move it around and get to the bottom much more easily. (If you're whipping many eggs whites, six or more I'd say, the stand mixer would work fine.)

Keep trying, practice makes perfect!
weasel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #935
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by THINNER-2003 View Post
sigh....

Here it is (Found this on another thread) (sweetner is optional; if you don't want to use cream of tartar put a shake or so of salt in your whites. The amt in the recipe is so small I don't believe it could bother anybody's system) Just remember to really beat the whites!! and don't stir the yolks in - FOLD VERY CAREFULLY If there's streaks of white don't worry:

REVOLUTION ROLLS

Pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees.

You'll need
3 eggs
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons of cottage cheese
1 pack of art. sweetener

You seperate the whites and the yolks of 3 eggs (I put the whites in one bowl, and the yolks in another)- the key is don't get any of the yolks into the whites. Add 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar to the whites and beat the whites until they are fluffy. This is kind of a personal pref as to how you want the whites to be- to a stiff peak (you can turn the bowl upside down and they won't slide out) or not that much. I usually beat mine to a stiff peak, then fold in the remaining ingredients 3 eggs yolks, 3 tablespoons of cottage cheese, 1 pack of splenda. (I mix the yolks, cottage cheese, sweetener together in the other bowl before I add it to the whites) Don't mix it for more than a minute- so you don't break down the fluffy-ness of the whites.

After it's all mixed, spoon it onto a "Pam-ed" cookie sheet into 6 "piles"- the book says to stack it up 2 inches high per roll, but mine are never that firm to stay stacked, they usually kind of spread out on the sheet.

However they land on the sheet, just pop them into the oven at 300 degrees for an hour.

They kind remind you of a mix between angel food cake and a bun from McDonalds.
They're wonderful for breakfast sandwiches and great with burgers too!

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much" ~ Mother Teresa

Last edited by jlatislaw; 02-06-2009 at 08:07 AM..
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #936
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnScorpio View Post
Its my egg whites that are giving me the problem. I thought I had it today, they didn't fall off the spoon when I turned it upside down but I guess that didn't mean much . I left the eggs out until they were at room temperature, chilled the bowl I mixed them in and everything else I saw for tips. Maybe its because I used a mixer instead of a hand mixer?
Use a small tad of cream of tarter. I find it stiffens the egg whites better. I chilled the bowl and warmed the eggs only the first time I made oopsies. The last 200 hundred times I did neither and they turned out fine. I use a kitchenaid stand mixer.

You could be folding too long?
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #937
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I've eaten my share of Rev. Rolls.

I went with cream cheese, because cottage cheese in this recipe is like cream cheese without the will to live. Cream cheese is also more savory and makes for a more solid roll.

I made the original recipe, trying everything fro mayonnaise to cottage cheese, to soya powder and it took me back to the early 80's. I've just never been a fan of the original, but I think I'm also a super taster and do not like the taste of eggs.

So, for my family and me, it has to be cream cheese and no sweeteners.

If your rolls are coming out flat and spready, you can still use them for gyros and hot dog wraps. They are awesome!

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:05 AM   #938
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace
Zizi - you might try adding a scoop of protein powder and a big tablespoon of flax meal to the egg yolks. Mine were always flat until I did that. It really helps make a stiffer batter and a much more bread-like finished product whether you are using it as bread, cake or whatever.

Last edited by Grace; 02-07-2009 at 06:07 AM..
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #939
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: amesbelle
Stats: 180/177/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 2012
Hello!!!!

This is my first LCF post, and I must say.... You guys are going to be the death of my hand mixer, I think. I've seen oopsie roll recipes time and time again, and just haven't ever tried them... But, after reading ALL 32 pages of this thread (Oh yes, allllll 32), I can't hold out any longer. I just made a savory batch with dill, ground mustard, and some celery salt. When every the man gets home, I will be making turkey burgers with cilantro-sour cream-avacado spread and pepperjack cheese. I will try to take a picture... Then I'll have to figure out how to load it.

Yay, I'm so excited to be here!
amesbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #940
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maggieanne
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/1/09
I took my 2 oopsies with me to Steak & Shake today and switched out their buns for mine and I throughly enjoyed my double bacon cheeseburger. They tried to tempt me with a free chocolate sundae, my hubby took one , I just watched!
maggieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #941
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiveLaughLove
WOE: Low Carb - My Way
Start Date: Everyday
Marking my spot - I refer to this thread a lot.
LiveLaughLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #942
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoniBGoode
Stats: 21 lbs gone forever!
WOE: Almost Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 21, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshlynsMom View Post

I was so ready to have a "Philly" on these rolls last night (basically just the meat/cheese part). So excited!

My husband is the one who cooks in our family, not me really. So, I had him help me because I didn't want to mess it up. However, it turned out really runny in the end and they just sort of spread all over the sheet and were a mess. I was heartbroken! I did salvage a couple that I sort of made mini taco shell like shapes out of so it wasn't a total loss.

I am assuming DH didn't get the whites stiff enough? I want to try again because all of these pictures are mouth-watering, but I am so easily frustrated if I mess something up.

It may also be that you stirred the whites into the yolks, instead of folding them very, very gently. The batter should be almost souffle-like when you are done.

But flat "mistakes" taste great with syrup and butter as pancakes!!
JoniBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #943
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meee
Stats: 5' 7" - 49 - F
WOE: ~ CAD ~
Start Date: 8/15/09
i just found out about these Oopsie Rolls so i Have To Subscribe to this thread...!
Meee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #944
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meee View Post
i just found out about these Oopsie Rolls so i Have To Subscribe to this thread...!
Glad you found it! Happy reading!!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #945
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meee
Stats: 5' 7" - 49 - F
WOE: ~ CAD ~
Start Date: 8/15/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
As a BLT bread

Bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheese, mayo, topped with toothpicks and olives

[COLOR="Red"]WHY does this Oopsie Roll look DIFFERENT than the Regular Oopsie Roll??? is it put on the Sandwich upside down? because i really like the way it looks on THIS Sammich! [/COLOR]
Meee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #946
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meee View Post
[COLOR="Red"]WHY does this Oopsie Roll look DIFFERENT than the Regular Oopsie Roll??? is it put on the Sandwich upside down? because i really like the way it looks on THIS Sammich! [/COLOR]
It's me again ....
Cleo can tell you for sure but I would guess it was just the pan that she baked it in. The oopsies just take on the shape of the pan. In my experience when I use a cookie sheet/jelly roll pan they are flatter and larger than when I use my muffin top pan.
HTH
Old 03-14-2009, 05:59 AM   #947
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3tikes
Stats: 175/155/141 reached goal in 2004
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: January 2009
The side that is facing up is the side that was facing down on the baking sheet. I don't use a muffin top pan, and mine don't spread. I flatten mine down and push it into the shape of a circle. But that's why this looks golden - it's the side facing down.
3tikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #948
Senior LCF Member

Cleo - did you ever post your cheesecake recipe that you talked about in this thread?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #949
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lotpodz
Start Date: 5/21/08
i just made my first batch of oopsies today and am hooked, subscribing
Lotpodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #950
something there

I have made a few cheesecakes, but being the super picky person I am, until I nail it fantastically wonderfully perfectly, I would never share the recipe because I hate settling. Sorry it is taking so long! I have put recipes to the side for the time being due to writing deadlines.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 AM   #951
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have made a few cheesecakes, but being the super picky person I am, until I nail it fantastically wonderfully perfectly, I would never share the recipe because I hate settling. Sorry it is taking so long! I have put recipes to the side for the time being due to writing deadlines.
I completely understand. I'm the same way.
I'll look forward to the recipe later then!
Good luck with those deadlines!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:30 AM   #952
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kitababy
Stats: 332/324/165
Start Date: March 23, 2009
I am new to the board but have been reading these post all darn night. I ended up going to WalMart at 2:00 am to get the ingredients to make my first batch of Oopsie Rolls. I am going to let them sit overnight and use them for breakfast and lunch tomorrow. I promise to post a picture so i can "share with the class" also.

I just want to thank everybody on this forum, for sharing so much. I have been on other LC forums and everybody was so standoffish and judgmental. You guys seem really nice!

K.B.
kitababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #953
Junior LCF Member

My first oopsie...I'm not even sure if folks still read this thread, but I'm gonna post it anyway because I'm proud of myself. I made a sandwich with mines of a piece of a baked omelet I made and some beef sausage with some muenster cheese.

I think tonite I'm going to try to make a cinnamon batch for french toast and one with flax for sandwiches!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #954
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Looks delish.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #955
something there

Hey! Looks fabulous! I am subscribed to the thread. I just forget to check! At my age, I'm thankful for every day I can sneeze without peeing.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #956
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Quote:
Hey! Looks fabulous! I am subscribed to the thread. I just forget to check! At my age, I'm thankful for every day I can sneeze without peeing.
You can sneeze without peeing?!?!

Kitababy: Nice job

Last edited by jenna...; 04-02-2009 at 04:54 PM..
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #957
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Iffy336
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart 1/21
I'm subscribed to this thread as well!
Iffy336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #958
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Kit, looks great. Yes, this is a verrrrrrry long post and then all of the modifications that people throw in phew!
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #959
Junior LCF Member

Thanks you guys...I was just having one of my Jan Brady middle child moments...needing some attention...LOL!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #960
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
After having complained back in January that my oopsies weren't stiff enough and disintegrated, I tried my hand at making them again today. However, as I was going through my recipe cards I found a modified oopsie recipe that I am sure I got on this thread but way back several pages. They came out a lot firmer than when I made them before and I am pleased with how they turned out. Also, instead of beating the egg yolks first, I did the whites because you can get egg white in the yolks but not the other way around. This saved me from having to clean the beaters.

The original recipe divided the "dough" into 6 mounds, I used an old fashioned ice cream scoop that measures approx. 1/2 cup, and used two muffin top pans. Therefore, I got 12 smaller oopsies than the original recipe. I baked them for 25 minutes as opposed to the original 30 minutes since they were smaller.

Here is the recipe I used today:

3 large eggs
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
3 oz cream cheese
1 Tbsp almond flour
1/8-1/4 tsp xanthum gum
1 scoop unflavored whey protein powder
1 Tbsp wheat bran
1 Tbsp flax meal

Preheat oven to 300. Separate eggs. Cream whites with cream of tartar until stiff. Cream yolks with cream cheese. Add almond flour, xantham gum, protein powder, wheat bran and flax meal to yolks and mix. Using spatula, fold yolk mixture into whites. Spray cookie sheet or parchment paper or muffin top pan with Pam. Spoon mixture onto cookie sheet in 6 rounds and flatten slightly. Bake 30 minutes, cool slightly, remove and cool thoroughly. Sore loosely in open sack.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs

Last edited by vli1127; 04-05-2009 at 12:42 PM..
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote