Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #901
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BLUTTO66
Stats: 425/319/285
WOE: Modified Low Carbs
Start Date: Latest Restart -MAY 2ND 2008
bump
BLUTTO66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2009, 06:16 AM   #902
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthymom74
Stats: size 12/tight 6/6
WOE: lc+pilates
Start Date: Sep1 08/Dec10 08
suscribing
healthymom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #903
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2dm
Low Carb "Ice Cream" Cookie Sandwich

Here is what I made tonight. Took a couple pieces of my coconut bark and melted it. Then poured over my Oopsies and put in freezer for a few minutes. Then spread some Cool Whip on one Oopsie, put both together and made a lowcarb "IceCream" Cookie Sandwich type thingy majig... VERY GOOD!

mom2dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #904
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brandisgang
Stats: Start weight 211 Goal 165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01-05-09
Judy, thank you for posting that for me. I am looking it up now. I look forward to trying Oopsies! I am learning so much here to add to what my mom has taught me. ~Brandi~
brandisgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #905
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
brandis-- I am a second generation low-carber, too! My dad taught me the way when I was 14. While the road hasn't been an easy one, I still look back and appreciate what he gave to me in terms of knowledge, as unconventional as it was at the time. Now my kids are fans of low-carb. I think it is something special to be able to pass on healthy eating and a positive lifestyle to the next generation!

Sorry, I was feeling nostalgic!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #906
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SassyMe818
I LOVE THIS THREAD!!
SassyMe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #907
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGJ26 View Post
I have to agree, they MUST dry out for a day to get the bread consistency...its funny cause I was thinking our friend Alton from food network could do a whole show on the chemical reactions that occur in the making of an ooopsie !

When I first take mine out of the oven they are very meringue like but magically overnight turn to bread.....

Great idea, I'm going to do that from now on. Here some more tips for keeping them from getting soggy and stuck together.

• Don't seal the container when you store them. Here's a pic of the way I store mine, in a container in a partially closed zip-top bag.
• Store them up on their edges, like books on a shelf, rather than flat like a stack of pancakes.
• Store loosely, in a container where they have space and are forced together tightly.

I also put them in the toaster oven for a minute before using. Has anyone tried using an actual slot toaster? (I don't have one.)

2009 JUDDDD SUCCESS STORY
6/8-149; 6/11-147; 6/18-145; 6/20-144; 6/23-145; 6/25-146; 6/27-145; 6/29-146; 7/2-144; 7/4-143; 7/7-142; 7/9-141; 7/11-140; 7/14-141; 7/30-139; 8/1-138
VFT August 1 after 8 weeks of alternate-day dieting!

Last edited by weasel!; 01-26-2009 at 04:41 PM..
weasel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #908
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SassyMe818
[COLOR="Magenta"]Can someone find a way to make Chicken and Dumplings out of these oopsies...pleeeease!![/COLOR]
SassyMe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #909
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tryinghardtolose
Stats: 195/149.8/140
I use a slot toaster all the time when using my oopies. But watch them closely, as they burn quickly. I just toast them lightly so that they dry out even more. YUMMY!!!!
Tryinghardtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #910
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: THINNER-2003
Stats: (2003)189.6/110/120-- (2009)190/142/120
Start Date: 2-26-03 --- 1-5-09
Where is the thread about how to make oopsies please?
THINNER-2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:35 AM   #911
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
I can't find the Oooopsie recipe. HELP!!!
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #912
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3tikes
Stats: 175/155/141 reached goal in 2004
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: January 2009
Look back on page 5 of this link: I can't believe how long this thread is! Kudos to all of you on your cooking and experimentation, I'm making these today!

Cleochatra's Best Ever Revol-Oopsie Rolls

3 large eggs
1 pkg Splenda
dash of salt
pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp!) Do not soften!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Makes 6@ about 85 calories a piece, >1 carb per

Last edited by 3tikes; 02-03-2009 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: adding more info
3tikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #913
Senior LCF Member

Mine just came out of the oven......mmmmmmmmmmmm. I added mustard, garlic salt, cayenne pepper and parmesan cheese to my yolks. I made some in silicone mini muffin pans with hot dog in them. They all turned out great. Two (probably stupid) questions.....when you have a sandwich, you use two of them right? In other words, you are not cutting one in half right? Because mine are really flat. Also, the ones I made in the muffin top pan really stuck, even though I sprayed with olive oil......? I will try the reynolds release with my sweet ones, I do better with the shape being made for me, I'm not very good freehanded!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #914
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AutumnScorpio
I have officially given up on getting these to work. I've wasted nearly a dozen eggs and they always turn out flat. I'm not even going to try anymore, obviously I'm missing something. Yours all look so fluffy and good but I guess I just suck in the kitchen . Its so discouraging.
AutumnScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #915
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Yes, you need to use two for a sandwich.

I"m not sure olive oil is "slippery" enough to keep them from sticking to your pans, unless you use a LOT of it. I've started using parchment paper to keep them from sticking.
Madam De Leon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #916
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnScorpio View Post
I have officially given up on getting these to work. I've wasted nearly a dozen eggs and they always turn out flat. I'm not even going to try anymore, obviously I'm missing something. Yours all look so fluffy and good but I guess I just suck in the kitchen . Its so discouraging.
Oh my - don't give up!

Even your flats will be tasty- use them as wraps instead of buns.

When you whip your egg whites, do you whip them so that they'll form stiff peaks? And that you can hold the bowl upside down without them falling out?

Then when you fold in the yolk mixture, do you do it very gently, by hand? Some people have tried using the "fold" setting on their mixer - nope, that won't work, it'll just break down the volume of the stiff egg whites.

So use a very small spatula or teaspoon, and gently mix in the yolks by hand. If you end up with yolk mixture not mixing in and falling to the bottom of the bowl, you can sometimes get it to mix in by scraping it back up to the top, or you can just make mounds on your baking pan from the fluffy parts of the mixture, then make little wells in those (like making a gravy well in your mashed potatoes), then go back and and add the soupy mixture to the well, so it doesn't spread all over.

If you've been doing these things and they've still come out flat... well, we'll still continue to try to trouble shoot for you - but don't give up, these are soo worth it!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #917
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AutumnScorpio
Its my egg whites that are giving me the problem. I thought I had it today, they didn't fall off the spoon when I turned it upside down but I guess that didn't mean much . I left the eggs out until they were at room temperature, chilled the bowl I mixed them in and everything else I saw for tips. Maybe its because I used a mixer instead of a hand mixer?
AutumnScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #918
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
THANK YOU 3tikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #919
Senior LCF Member

Mine are kinda flat too, I mean I could never slice them down the middle. I used xantham gum as well. Mine have peaks here and there on them, but I agree, flat or not, they are soooo worth it. Make french toast tomorrow!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #920
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Maybe try making floopsies. They seem less touchy.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #921
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hipslikemonroe
Stats: 220/177.5/140
WOE: Low Carb
Thank you so much for this recipe! I've been making a batch every week and they've gotten me through induction so much better than when I did it before. I make oopsie french toast or 'egg mc muffins' for breakfast nearly every day. I also make an individual pizza's with them and they satisfy my late night pizza craving. I love OOpsies! I failed the first time, but found if i use the brick cream cheese and keep it cold they hold up much better than when i tried the whipped/soft kind it turned very liquid, and it spread out making them flat.
hipslikemonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #922
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnScorpio View Post
Its my egg whites that are giving me the problem. I thought I had it today, they didn't fall off the spoon when I turned it upside down but I guess that didn't mean much . I left the eggs out until they were at room temperature, chilled the bowl I mixed them in and everything else I saw for tips. Maybe its because I used a mixer instead of a hand mixer?
Test the bowl of stiff egg whites - very stiff - I mean they should look like this when you pull the beaters out of the stiff egg whites:

| | |
^ ^ ^

As opposed to like this:

( ( (
^ ^ ^

Then, just to make sure, turn the entire bowl upside down - those egg whites should be so stiff that they don't even slide around a little bit in that bowl, much less fall out!

I don't personally worry at all about whether the eggs are room temp or cold, or whether the bowl and beaters are cold or warm. I think that's something that's only important when you're whipping cream, not egg whites.

The electric mixer should make the job easier than a hand mixerfor whipping the egg whites.

You can also use the the electric mixer to mix together the egg yolks and cream cheese.

But, do not use any kind of mixer to fold the yolk mixture into the stiff egg whites!!!

Use a long thin spatula or teaspoon to very gently fold the yolk mixture into the egg whites. Don't worry if there's some whites that don't turn yellow - it's ok, because this is where you're going to run into problems if you overmix.

When you make the piles of oopsie batter on the baking pan, you can flatten it slightly if you want.

Please also realize that these are not going to be 1"tall buns like the hamburger buns you'd buy. Mine are usually less than 1/2" high once they've cooled off, and yes, you need to use two of them for a sandwich, they're far too thin to slice.

They won't be perfectly smooth on top when they're cooked either - but that's ok.

The idea here is to have something to put your sandwich meat or burger fixin's in that you can pick up with your hands, rather than having to use a knife and fork all the time.

Oh and so you can also have some lovely breakfasts, like french toast.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #923
something there

Valentine's Day mini pizzas. It's time to share the picture again.

I love Madame de Leon's imagery. lol!

So you don't want my breasts to form in the oopsie batter.

You want Posh Spice breasts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minioopsiesvalentine.jpg (50.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #924
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Valentine's Day mini pizzas. It's time to share the picture again.

I love Madame de Leon's imagery. lol!

So you don't want my breasts to form in the oopsie batter.

You want Posh Spice breasts.
Yes, I'd love it if my girls looked like that!

So here's the thing - make sure those egg white peaks are *perky*!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #925
something there

If I can turn the bowl upside down and the egg whites don't move, I know I'm good.

Unlike my breasts.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #926
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
i am going to try this recipe out again and see how it does. sue
missymagoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #927
Senior LCF Member

Okay, honest to pete! I can't quit eating these. I had two for a sandwich today (that by the way held up to turkey, bacon, and coleslaw, yummy) and then I made a sweet batch with some unsweetened cherries and walnuts sprinkled on top (ate two of those) and made a batch as muffins with jalapenos and cheddar sprinkled on top - ate two of those also. How bad is this? I'm afraid to make anymore cause I can't quit eating them.....and I ate them right out of the oven - can you imagine how good they'll be tomorrow? Okay, we all know there won't be any tomorrow but help! I'm an oopsie-addict! Is there a support group?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #928
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straightscoop
Stats: 135/115/105 5'4"
WOE: Protein Power/Mostly Vegetarian/Volumetrics
trouble getting your oopsies fluffy?

If you are having trouble with your oopsies falling flat, I have a suggestion. I use Better 'n Eggs egg substitute instead of whole eggs. You can whip it up like egg whites and therefore you don't need to fold in the yolk. Lucrene brand of egg substitute works too (sold at Safeway stores), but Egg Beaters don't whip properly. I also use Laughing Cow cheese wedges warmed to room temperature instead of cream cheese. It's very soft and spreadable and comes in herb and garlic and onion flavors too. You just mix a small amount of your beaten eggs with it first so it's thinned out, then fold that back into the rest of the eggs. I get really light and fluffy oopsies this way and also a lower calorie count for those of us who need to watch calories and carbs. I've also experimented with gently folding in a little wheat bran to make the oopsies a little less eggy tasting and makes a great base for pizza crust if you spread it out into a large cookie sheet lined with non-stick foil.
straightscoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #929
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AshlynsMom
Start Date: January 5, 2009

I was so ready to have a "Philly" on these rolls last night (basically just the meat/cheese part). So excited!

My husband is the one who cooks in our family, not me really. So, I had him help me because I didn't want to mess it up. However, it turned out really runny in the end and they just sort of spread all over the sheet and were a mess. I was heartbroken! I did salvage a couple that I sort of made mini taco shell like shapes out of so it wasn't a total loss.

I am assuming DH didn't get the whites stiff enough? I want to try again because all of these pictures are mouth-watering, but I am so easily frustrated if I mess something up.

Last edited by AshlynsMom; 02-05-2009 at 12:22 PM..
AshlynsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #930
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightscoop View Post
If you are having trouble with your oopsies falling flat, I have a suggestion. I use Better 'n Eggs egg substitute instead of whole eggs. You can whip it up like egg whites and therefore you don't need to fold in the yolk. Lucrene brand of egg substitute works too (sold at Safeway stores), but Egg Beaters don't whip properly. I also use Laughing Cow cheese wedges warmed to room temperature instead of cream cheese. It's very soft and spreadable and comes in herb and garlic and onion flavors too. You just mix a small amount of your beaten eggs with it first so it's thinned out, then fold that back into the rest of the eggs. I get really light and fluffy oopsies this way and also a lower calorie count for those of us who need to watch calories and carbs. I've also experimented with gently folding in a little wheat bran to make the oopsies a little less eggy tasting and makes a great base for pizza crust if you spread it out into a large cookie sheet lined with non-stick foil.
I have no trouble with oopsies falling flat, but your cheese wedges sounds intriguing. How many and what's your recipe?
jenna... is offline   Reply With Quote