Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #631
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LS_Oregon
Stats: (240 high) 208/198/140
WOE: Low Carb My Way
Start Date: 01/09/2008
As a newbie to these boards, I have been amazed at all the help, advice and wonderful receipes there are. I am not a spring chicken, but have managed to go by whole life without a lot of cooking skills. Then along came these oopsie rolls. By the second try I had the perfect roll and even found a muffin top pan at an estate sale for $1.00, but was not crazy about the taste in sandwiches until I stared frying all my sandwiches like the old fashioned grilled cheese with the butter on the outside. Of course I loved the french toast and yes to me the double dipping dramatically change the flavor in my opinion, maybe it was the cream. But then eating my daily salad, I longed for croutons and my brain wiring came alive with the thought of oopsie croutons. I have not read completely though the other thread and didn't see it on here, so I, being the non cook, just had to tread the oopsie crouton waters alone. So, I made a batch with mayo and flax meal also adding Italian spices. The next day, I fried them in butter and olive oil with garlic. They soak up this up and the taste was great (you can probably guess how I gained weight, I loved butter and fried foods). However, they were not crisp enough. I then stuck them in the oven. They are still not as crisp as I would like, but the flavor was fantastic. Does anyone know how I can get them really crisp? Any advice?

Not sure if the photo will come through, but I will give it a try
LS_Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #632
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS_Oregon View Post
LS - I don't have an answer for you but I just wanted to say - those croutons and that salad look absolutely fabulous! Beautiful croupsies!!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #633
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tryinghardtolose
Stats: 195/149.8/140
WOE: Atkins
Sungoddess....Kisal.....and Babydollsea....

Thanks so much for the information! I'm not a real experienced cook, like a lot of others on here, so I have to rely on you nice people to help me out, from time to time!!!

I'm going to try the 3/4 t. of the QP and see what happens. Not sure when, but I'll try it the first chance I get!

Thanks so much..and thanks for the b-day wishes. It's been a good but hectic day, and it's almost over! Thank goodness!!!
Tryinghardtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #634
I'm his Princess

Gallery: Dedicated
Stats: Goal is a Healthy Weight!
WOE: Clean Eating!
Start Date: Everyday!
LS that salad looks great!
Dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #635
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Dedicated, its just a simple salad, but I so miss the crunchies and almonds just won't cut it for me. I really like those crunchy fried chow mein noodles, but something tells me if I tried every day for the rest of my life I won't be able to make those out of oopsie rolls.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #636
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/234/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I have an idea, LS! Give me until noon tomorrow...
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:48 AM   #637
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Time for another one of Cleo's Oopsie ideas coming up!! Stay Tuned!

HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:06 AM   #638
I'm his Princess

Gallery: Dedicated
Stats: Goal is a Healthy Weight!
WOE: Clean Eating!
Start Date: Everyday!
Quote:
Thanks Dedicated, its just a simple salad, but I so miss the crunchies and almonds just won't cut it for me. I really like those crunchy fried chow mein noodles, but something tells me if I tried every day for the rest of my life I won't be able to make those out of oopsie rolls.
NP! you can try!
Dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 AM   #639
something there

LOL. Mac, knowing me, it could be a BIG oopsie, but I am feeling good about this.

Worst case scenario, I know what I'm eating for lunch. And dinner. And... and...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #640
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
LS After you fry them to get all that buttery, garlicky goodness try drying them out in a low temp oven. Or just toss them in the melted butter, garlic, and olive oil and bake them until crisp. Great idea you had and salad looks wonderful.
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #641

Gallery: s1mon3
Stats: 220/168/145
WOE: Clean Eating/Cal & Carb Cycling
Start Date: July 2013
The salad does look good!! Keep us posted on the croutons...Wonderful idea!
s1mon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #642
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: got2getmoving
Stats: 298/292.8/xxx
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyblue View Post
I'm not crazy about these plain (too eggy) but I just made the french toast and I am in love!

I have made the recipe twice and think they are very eggy as well (the second time I purchased a mixer!! and I did turn the bowl of egg whites and they did not fall out - so they were definately the right texture.) I realize that eggs are about the only thing in the recipe - but what is everyone doing differently to make them not so eggy??
got2getmoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #643

Gallery: s1mon3
Stats: 220/168/145
WOE: Clean Eating/Cal & Carb Cycling
Start Date: July 2013
got2getmoving, what seems to help me is adding protein powder. Trying the different seasonings take away from the eggy texture also. HTH
s1mon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #644
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzip View Post
LS After you fry them to get all that buttery, garlicky goodness try drying them out in a low temp oven. Or just toss them in the melted butter, garlic, and olive oil and bake them until crisp. Great idea you had and salad looks wonderful.
I think you are right, they need to be dried out, I had fried them to get the butter flavor in it, but I can try baking. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #645
something there

I think I found a good, cheap, small-profile substitution for muffin top pans locally at Target! I'll be back in a bit after I try them for oopsies, etc!

If you haven't ordered any yet, hold off until I come back. This could work--and you might have some of these locally.

In the interim, here is what I purchased today! (Crappy picture quality--sorry) Look at these beauties!!! And they stack nicely, and they're cheap and non-stick! And you can make little cakes and shortcakes with them, too!

I've lost 130 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #646
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Itsanewme
Stats: 322/145/143-147
WOE: Weight Watchers/ Lower Carbs WLS 10/02
Start Date: Restarted 3/1/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2getmoving View Post
I have made the recipe twice and think they are very eggy as well (the second time I purchased a mixer!! and I did turn the bowl of egg whites and they did not fall out - so they were definately the right texture.) I realize that eggs are about the only thing in the recipe - but what is everyone doing differently to make them not so eggy??
I don't know how long you let them sit but I find if I let them cool on my counter for a few hours and then chill them thoroughly in the fridge they taste more bread-like and not eggy at all.
Itsanewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #647
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Let us know how they work...I am very interested Cleo!! Only thing..I dont have a Target around my area.

HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #648
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2getmoving View Post
The first time I made them, I thought the same thing, I think my brain still wanted white Wonder Bread but now am an Oopsie fan. I do a couple of things. I add spices and I always toast them, not in the toaster, but with my George Forman grill, but I butter them first, so they have a nice buttery flavor. I am going to try some with cheese on the bottom on the muffin pan to see if what that is like. Someone also had a Flasxeed Parmesan Cheese bun, which sounds great to me. One day I had some hot butter on the stove and tossed in a oopsie and wow, the buttery flavor was to die for.

Even if you don't use them as a traditional bun or sandwich, there are so many other uses. Here are some uses just gathered from this board, I may have missed some, but have not even tackled the other board.

Cheese Danish Oopsie
Chocolate Chocolate Chi
Abelskiver
Elephant Ears
Chicken Pot Pies
Oopsie Eclairs
Cheese Muffins
Layered Boston Cream Pie
Roll Cakes
Pumpkin Oopsie Rolls
Cream Puffs
Pie Crust
Oopsie Pizza
Corn dogs
Hot dog horderves
Cannolli
Strawberry Oopsie Cake
Flaxseed Parmesan Cheese Buns
Waffles
French Toast
Croutons

I can't wait to try the Strawberry Oopsie cake, but I still have portion control issues and I am afraid I will eat the whole thing.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #649
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Quote:
The first time I made them, I thought the same thing, I think my brain still wanted white Wonder Bread but now am an Oopsie fan. I do a couple of things. I add spices and I always toast them, not in the toaster, but with my George Forman grill, but I butter them first, so they have a nice buttery flavor. I am going to try some with cheese on the bottom on the muffin pan to see if what that is like. Someone also had a Flasxeed Parmesan Cheese bun, which sounds great to me. One day I had some hot butter on the stove and tossed in a oopsie and wow, the buttery flavor was to die for.

Even if you don't use them as a traditional bun or sandwich, there are so many other uses. Here are some uses just gathered from this board, I may have missed some, but have not even tackled the other board.

Cheese Danish Oopsie
Chocolate Chocolate Chi
Abelskiver
Elephant Ears
Chicken Pot Pies
Oopsie Eclairs
Cheese Muffins
Layered Boston Cream Pie
Roll Cakes
Pumpkin Oopsie Rolls
Cream Puffs
Pie Crust
Oopsie Pizza
Corn dogs
Hot dog horderves
Cannolli
Strawberry Oopsie Cake
Flaxseed Parmesan Cheese Buns
Waffles
French Toast
Croutons

I can't wait to try the Strawberry Oopsie cake, but I still have portion control issues and I am afraid I will eat the whole thing.
You musn't forget paninis and pizzelles Amore'!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oopsie Pizzelles.jpg (99.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Oopsie Panini.jpg (60.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Oopsie Cannoli.jpg (73.3 KB, 78 views)
babydollsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #650
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydollsea View Post
You musn't forget paninis and pizzelles Amore'!
You right and I love pizzelles! I still need to get myself a pizzelle maker! I am heading over to the Goodwill in a bit, they always have a large selection of appliances, some appear to have never been used. I know they had a pizzelle maker a couple of weeks ago, but it is probably gone by now.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #651
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I think I found a good, cheap, small-profile substitution for muffin top pans locally at Target! I'll be back in a bit after I try them for oopsies, etc!

If you haven't ordered any yet, hold off until I come back. This could work--and you might have some of these locally.

In the interim, here is what I purchased today! (Crappy picture quality--sorry) Look at these beauties!!! And they stack nicely, and they're cheap and non-stick! And you can make little cakes and shortcakes with them, too!

Also, I have purchased about the same size foil containers and have used those for the oopsies..very nice indeed!~
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #652
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post

I have a set of those pans, and I don't know why I didn't use them the other day when I made my oopsies... But I didn't.. I used them for something else just a while back!
I also have found that tuna cans are almost the same size... Since I only have 3 of the little baking pans, I used some of the tuna cans (both sprayed well) for the other pans (I can't remember now, but I needed either 5 or 6 pans). The tuna cans also worked very well!!! Next time I decide to make oopsies, I'll use the little pans & the tuna cans.

One drawback on the tuna cans, is they don't stack neatly like the little cake pans do.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #653
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
I love cinnamon rolls, so the other day I made some oopsies and added cinnamon & splenda. While they were cooking, I made icing from cream cheese, warmed, and added cinnamon and splenda & vanilla to it also. When the oopsies were done, I spread the cream cheese mixture on the warm oopsies and let them cool. O. M. G. !!!!

Another use for oopsies
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #654
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
I love cinnamon rolls, so the other day I made some oopsies and added cinnamon & splenda. While they were cooking, I made icing from cream cheese, warmed, and added cinnamon and splenda & vanilla to it also. When the oopsies were done, I spread the cream cheese mixture on the warm oopsies and let them cool. O. M. G. !!!!

Another use for oopsies
Now you are really talking my weakness, I love warm cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting. Do you think I can freeze these so I don't eat the whole batch in one setting?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #655
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think you can try. I doubt if you could leave them alone long enough for them to freeze (speaking for myself here)
Old 03-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #656
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Too late to edit, I guess. I'm sure the oopsies would freeze well and be good when they were thawed also. Just know that I couldn't stay out of them.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #657
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaokc View Post
Too late to edit, I guess. I'm sure the oopsies would freeze well and be good when they were thawed also. Just know that I couldn't stay out of them.
Oppsies freeze well made with the original Cleo recipe so I dont see why they wouldn't freeze with the cinnamon added.

The cinnamon roll idea sounds yummy!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #658
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: got2getmoving
Stats: 298/292.8/xxx
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: everyday
Thanks for the suggestions - I may try them again this weekend when I some time.
got2getmoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #659
Senior LCF Member

Waffle disaster. I made a great batch of nice fluffy oopsie rolls for a french dip this week. Well, while my perfect batch was cooking, I decided to make some waffles. First I forgot the protein powder, but did add some butter flavoring. I pulled out the waffle iron, only to discover is was a Belgian waffle iron. Oh well, I thought. I am not sure if it was the lack of protein or the Belgian waffler, but these things came out flatter than crepes. My nephews were over and thought it was so funny. So, to recover from this disaster, I threw some oil in a pan, broke them up and came up with oopsie fried chips. I sprinkled them with Splenda and they were great. I tried to get a picture, but my young nephews ate them in record time.... There is not any left for me to munch on tomorrow. I will try the waffles at a later time, but will also make more chips....
Old 03-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #660
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swinglow
Stats: 247.6/236.6/195
WOE: Simeon's R1P2 til May 15, 2010
Start Date: March 28, 2010
good for you, ls oregon! You "oopsied" your way into your own little find. Sweet chips? A winner, indeed.
swinglow is offline   Reply With Quote