Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #541
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Mary is right on the three ounces!

Cream cheese is 3 ounces (which makes a bun supple and strong enough to hold those Red Robin burgers)!

I've taken them to RR several times and have had amazing success with their huge gourmet burgers. (Carl's Jr too)
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #542
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: got2getmoving
Stats: 298/292.8/xxx
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: everyday
I tried making the oopsie recipe tonight and putting them in cupcake foil containers. I don't know what I did wrong but they did not turn out the way everyone has described theirs. They had an "eggy" taste (sort of like french toast) and I am not able to cut and use as toast/bread/sandwich because it is not "solid" enough.

I don't have a mixer so I used a whisk for the egg white and a spoon for the yolk mixture. Does anyone have any idea what I could have done wrong? because everyone's photos are really making me hungry for a sandwich and/or dessert.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #543
Mrs. Robbie Williams

Gallery: hippiegirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan488to300 View Post
OK I think I screwed everything up lol

My egg whites needed to be mixed longer I only have a hand mixer and I did not use nearly enough COT. She used a half a tbsp for a double batch so 1/4 tbsp for a batch would be good then.

Also has anyone tried these with cottage cheese like she said?

she did tbsp I used ounces but I swear that is what it said aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggg

I am soooo confused lol

ps one of my yolks broke in the white I fished all of it out but a tiny bit that might not of helped either from what she said

I really think these would play a big roll no pun intended lol in my diet if I can get them right lol
In the video, she's more following the original recipe. The oopsies came about because our beloved Cleo accidentaly (oopsily) used 3 oz instead of 3 TBS, and the rolls came out more sturdy, tasty, etc...

HTH
hippiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #544
I'm his Princess

Gallery: Dedicated
Stats: Goal is a Healthy Weight!
WOE: Clean Eating!
Start Date: Everyday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2getmoving View Post
I tried making the oopsie recipe tonight and putting them in cupcake foil containers. I don't know what I did wrong but they did not turn out the way everyone has described theirs. They had an "eggy" taste (sort of like french toast) and I am not able to cut and use as toast/bread/sandwich because it is not "solid" enough.

I don't have a mixer so I used a whisk for the egg white and a spoon for the yolk mixture. Does anyone have any idea what I could have done wrong? because everyone's photos are really making me hungry for a sandwich and/or dessert.
I'm not a cooking expert but the whites were prob not thick like they should....a mixer is most likely needed. I tried before to whip by hand to no avail..I got a hand mixer at target for $6
Dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #545
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: marymc
[COLOR="Indigo"]I put those suckers on my KitchenAid at high speed and just let 'em go whilst I stir the yolks ... I cannot imagine trying to hand whip, but I guess some people can do it! I'm kinda old... only thing I would end up with would be a big old hand cramp and limp egg whites! But that's just me..[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedicated View Post
I'm not a cooking expert but the whites were prob not thick like they should....a mixer is most likely needed. I tried before to whip by hand to no avail..I got a hand mixer at target for $6
marymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #546
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: s1mon3
Stats: 220/168/145
WOE: Clean Eating/Cal & Carb Cycling
Start Date: July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
That is how I like them the best. I add a TBS of whey protein to the yolk mixture. They end up sturdier and not so sticky. More bready to me.
That is what I would like to do...add whey! Are you adding a plain protein or flavored. I've looked in the grocery store to see if they carried the plain whey, but they were all flavored...I am going to the health food store tomorrow to check it out.
s1mon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #547

Mary , it is so nice to put a face with a post!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #548
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: marymc
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]Oh thanks s1mon3... I take the pic on and off to keep ya'll guessin' Just kiddin' LOL... I do change it back and forth though. I like variety!

When ya'll say whey protein is that the "whey protein isolate" stuff or the other "whey protein powder" stuff that comes flavored like in vanilla? Or are they both the same thing really? I don't know anything about this stuff. I bet that would really give the rolls some substance tho.[/COLOR]
marymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #549

I like variety too...nice picture!

I am referring to the powder stuff that comes in the different flavors such as vanilla. I don't know about the isolate...I know it probably has to do something for the texture. I add it when I make the flax bread and it helps that recipe too.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:00 AM   #550
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mon3 View Post
I like variety too...nice picture!

I am referring to the powder stuff that comes in the different flavors such as vanilla. I don't know about the isolate...I know it probably has to do something for the texture. I add it when I make the flax bread and it helps that recipe too.
I used protein powder in my egg yolk mixture to get delicious waffles..there is a thread here somehwere about it and they were the best Ive had!
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #551
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: caidenlee
When you make the waffles do you use all the regular ingredients and then add the protein powder? How much protein powder do you use? Thanks
caidenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
I used protein powder in my egg yolk mixture to get delicious waffles..there is a thread here somehwere about it and they were the best Ive had!
I can't wait to try them. I have my SF smuckers breakfast syrup on standby!!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #553

Quote:
Originally Posted by caidenlee View Post
When you make the waffles do you use all the regular ingredients and then add the protein powder? How much protein powder do you use? Thanks
Yes, the regular ingredients are used with the addition of the protein added to the yolk mixture. While I haven't tried to make them myself, I belive it is one scoop or 1/2...Sorry I can't recall exactly...someone will be able to give you the correct amount...Good luck!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #554
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tryinghardtolose
Stats: 195/149.8/140
WOE: Atkins
OK.....Let me try to be clear on this. If your making the rolls...for sandwiches...you use 1 TBS of protein powder, added into the yolk mixture. I'm assuming that makes them more sturdy. But if your making waffles, you use 1 scoop of the powder. Right?

Also, if you want to leave out the cream cheese, you only use 3 TBS of mayo? That's enough to make them as sturdy as with the cream cheese?

I have my eggs seperated and coming to room temp right now, and I can't wait to try these!!! Do you all use them fresh from the oven, or are they better after sitting overnight, like with the cream cheese muffins?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:21 AM   #555
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by caidenlee View Post
Use exactly the same ingredients but 1/2 scoop protein powder to the yolks..delicious! And I never wait for my eggs to come to room temperature..you can put them in a bowl of warm water for one minute or so and they are at room temp..someone from the foodnetwork gave me that hint..maybe it was Nigella Lawson..cant remember but it works perfectly.

Last edited by Mallory; 02-28-2008 at 07:23 AM..
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #556
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
spartan488to300:

Quote:
ps one of my yolks broke in the white I fished all of it out but a tiny bit that might not of helped either from what she said
Never separate your eggs over the bowl containing your whites. If a yolk breaks use it for another purpose and get a new egg. Even the smallest bit of yolk in the whites can diminish their ability to whip properly.
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #557
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2getmoving View Post

The whites definitely have to be whipped to full peak "dry" (turn the bowl over and they don't fall out). Can't tell from here if yours are that fully whipped or not, though it IS do-able if you have a strong arm.

Can tell you that using a muffin cup is probably not going to produce the wider flatter type, as in the various pictures in this thread. Page back through a few and look at the pics, that will help. They will take longer to cook through and will probably be more moist in the middle if they are in a cupcake type cup.

My oven temp is right on 300 (I use a thermometer to check it) and the wider flatter ones on a sheet take 35 minutes instead of 30. So maybe your oven temp isn't right on either...

But mostly I think it might be the cupcake shape. Always follow a new recipe as closely as possible to see how it works in your kitchen, then make the changes.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Oopsie Panini with George Forman Grill!

I just wanted to share a panini with Cleo's basic recipe for Oospies except with 4 eggs/4oz. cream cheese. I spread it onto a jelly roll pan and baked it 30 minutes @ 300F.

I cut the Oopsie "bread" into 16 pieces. I stacked it with roasted vegetables*, goat cheese, kalamata olives and a few slices of turkey tenderloin (Leftover from a few days ago).

I "grilled" on a George Forman Grill (don't have a panini maker). But you do get the nice grill marks. It was very tasty.

*Roasted vegetables
Preheat 450F. Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil on a jelly roll pan.

Add roughly chopped one of each:
  • red pepper
  • green pepper
  • orange pepper
  • banana pepper
  • a few slices of red onion
  • 1 tbsp each of fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 tsp fennel seed
Toss it up and roast for 30 to 40 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oopsie Panini.jpg (60.2 KB, 162 views)
babydollsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #559
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: got2getmoving
Stats: 298/292.8/xxx
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: everyday
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I don't think my egg whites were at full peak. I am going to definately have to buy a mixer. I might not have baked them long enough as well (although the fork came out clean). Anyway - they weren't that bad tasting - I ate some ham and cheese on them this morning. Not sturdy enough or big enough for a hamburger but it worked well with the ham and cheese. I will have to try them again another time.
got2getmoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #560

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins Inductions for 14 Days
Start Date: 6/10/2014
subscribe
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #561
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: alove4candles
Stats: 169/155/130
WOE: Workin With My Body
Can you store Oopsies in a cupboard or should you store them in fridge? How long can you store them?
alove4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #562
something there

I think they can safely sit on the counter for a day. After that, I'd refrigerate. Their life in the fridge is about 4-5 days, depending on moisture, and I try to keep the bag opened to allow for air circulation.

It is really important to note that you want to let the oopsies breathe pre-use by letting them rest on the counter in open air for awhile to allow them to 'dry out' and come to room temperature.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #563
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: alove4candles
Stats: 169/155/130
WOE: Workin With My Body
Cleo~ Your Wonderful~ Thank You for the recipe and advice!
alove4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #564
something there

You are so kind! The paninis aren't mine, though! I just came up with the oopsies.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #565
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
You are so kind! The paninis aren't mine, though! I just came up with the oopsies.
Everything is BECAUSE OF YOU!!!! We are all having a fun time making them into different applications! You are the genious behind it all!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #566
Senior LCF Member

Cleo,

I just wanted to tell you that there are more people who never visited your blog or know this website BUT know you now. They are all making oopsies now in my family....We went from and Italian-pasta eaten family to an Oospie Cauliflower pizza/Lasagna one!

You are now a Star!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #567
something there

Wow, babydollsea! That is such a wonderful compliment. I truly appreciate it! I love Italian food, and the more ways I can eat it, the happier I am. And then I don't have to eat people. And especially Italians.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #568
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Hey adopted Cleochatra (I adopted her today)

Did I mention that I made a double recipe with the original cream cheese
recipe, Put the batter into a large spring-form pan and baked, Oh boy it
rose high. Let it completely cool. Released from the pan. Cut it in half
horizontilly then filled it with Kevinpa's chocolate pudding. then slammed
on the top and covered it with more pudding. We let it set up in the
fridge for 4 hours (dang that was difficult) The we cut six big pieces
and topped with whipped cream. That is soooooooooooo good. Jay
said "can we eat it all" NO SILLY WABBIT. It was better day by day
until every smidge was gone. Now I am going to make a dyNOmight chili
relleno casserole with it. Wish I would learn to use camera, take pictures,
and post, but I'm too busy cooking and learning right now
Old 02-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #569
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spartan488to300
Stats: 488/446.5/200
WOE: Low Carb in general / with healthy fats mostly :)
Start Date: Feb 25th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Did I mention that I made a double recipe with the original cream cheese
recipe, Put the batter into a large spring-form pan and baked, Oh boy it
rose high. Let it completely cool. Released from the pan. Cut it in half
horizontilly then filled it with Kevinpa's chocolate pudding. then slammed
on the top and covered it with more pudding. We let it set up in the
fridge for 4 hours (dang that was difficult) The we cut six big pieces
and topped with whipped cream. That is soooooooooooo good. Jay
said "can we eat it all" NO SILLY WABBIT. It was better day by day
until every smidge was gone. Now I am going to make a dyNOmight chili
relleno casserole with it. Wish I would learn to use camera, take pictures,
and post, but I'm too busy cooking and learning right now
WOW that sounds amazing >insert drouling smiley here
spartan488to300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #570
I'm his Princess

Gallery: Dedicated
Stats: Goal is a Healthy Weight!
WOE: Clean Eating!
Start Date: Everyday!
So I decided to make the waffles......they look great haven't tasted it yet but they look good. I'm gonna have them with whipped cream and rasberries...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FOOD4 009.jpg (51.0 KB, 91 views)
Dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote