Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: AnDee
Stats: 218/183..up 199.6...now 182.2..on the way down!
WOE: Uncomplicated LC - No Flour or Grains
Start Date: Oct. 18, 2004
[COLOR="Navy"]Hey Vesna. The reason for using cold cream cheese is the same reason cold butter is used when making croissants and puff pastry - it has something to do with the bit of butter getting coated by the flour, so when it bakes the layers are all fluffy. That might not be the best explanation, but if using cold cream cheese then there are tiny bits of cream cheese that do not totally incorporate with the eggs and create little pockets of creaminess.
I also separate my eggs when they are cold so the yokes never break, but wait to beat them (in a metal bowl) after sitting out 30 minutes. The egg whites come out glossy and perfect each time.
All that said, I'm swearing off the dessert version of the oopsie cake. I devoured half a cake yesterday (leftover from a party). So, it's going to be only ooopsie rolls for me.

Here's something I found about the reason for using room temp eggs:
To get the highest beaten egg whites, whip room temperature egg whites, not cold ones; it's because the egg's protein is more elastic and will create more tiny air bubbles. Also, the colder their temperature, the longer the beating time will be. If it is humid or raining outside, sometimes you won't get the proper volume no matter what you do.
Anne

[/COLOR]

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 04:03 AM   #302
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
I'm with you AnDee on the cake. I haven't even finished the other half of the cake! It's sitting in my fridge wasting away! I just can't get myself to eat anymore of it, I guess because of the carbs in heavy cream to frost it with.

It's just the rolls for me too for now on!
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:31 AM   #303

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedtolose View Post
You know I looked it up on dailyplate and it showed that some of the sr pudding flavors had anywhere between 8 to 13 carbs, and I think it was for the whole box. I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like to me.
I've got a chart on my site that lists the various pudding flavors and the carb counts per box. None are less than 20 carbs per box and some are as high as 30 carbs (Jell-O instant chocolate).

Carb counts for pudding mixes
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 AM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
I've got a chart on my site that lists the various pudding flavors and the carb counts per box. None are less than 20 carbs per box and some are as high as 30 carbs (Jell-O instant chocolate).

Oh that's right you do! I forget that you have a one-stop website! If we ever need to know everything or most things about lc, you have it.

Thanks LS!!
Old 02-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
FROM Cooks Illustrated
Quote:
Do you need to bring egg whites up to room temperature before whipping?

Baking books often recommend allowing egg whites to come to room temperature so they form peaks more quickly, but we wondered if the whipping time saved was significant.

Armed with a stopwatch, we whipped our way through several dozen egg whites. We found that room-temperature eggs took, on average, 1 minute and 7 seconds to whip up to stiff peaks, while cold eggs took 1 minute and 9.5 seconds

Last edited by shadowzip; 02-19-2008 at 07:53 AM..
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #306

Oh my gosh how about popovers!!! Make them in a popover pan, then get something to squeeze heavy whipped cream inside! Or something good!

Last edited by Determinedtolose; 02-19-2008 at 07:58 AM..
Old 02-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #307
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Zer
Stats: 5'10"; 65; 508.7/_320.0_/199
WOE: Atkins: <5%Carb; J-UD/DD(<2798/560cals); 128ozH2O
Start Date: Got scale at 432.4(2/8/08); 376.8(2/8/09)
Timid cook...feeling hopeful...might just try this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel! View Post
I use an old-fashioned egg beater where you turn a crank on the side. It beats the whites stiff in 55 seconds. I timed it. The electric hand mixer takes 6 minutes. Go figure.

You can also use a whisk. That only takes a few minutes, also.
I am a timid cook, so beating eggwhites stiff seems an impossible task, but this gives me hope. Just a whisk? Or a hand-crank egg beater? Wow, I can do THAT!
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #308
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cocapelle
WOE: Atkins
I made the oopsie, and used it for a sandwich. Tell me, if I did something wrong. These are very delicate and airy. Should I have baked them longer than 30 minutes? They kinda fell apart, being used for a sandwich. When putting mayo on them, that moisture made them fall apart. They have great flavor, but, I must have done something wrong???
Cocapelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #309

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedtolose View Post
Oh my gosh how about popovers!!! Make them in a popover pan, then get something to squeeze heavy whipped cream inside! Or something good!
The only problem is they are not hollow like popovers. Better to sandwich something with.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Quote:

Whoa! Now that I read that I will not make the instant puddings too much! Thanks Linda Sue!
babydollsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swinglow
Stats: 247.6/236.6/195
WOE: Simeon's R1P2 til May 15, 2010
Start Date: March 28, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocapelle View Post
I made the oopsie, and used it for a sandwich. Tell me, if I did something wrong. These are very delicate and airy. Should I have baked them longer than 30 minutes? They kinda fell apart, being used for a sandwich. When putting mayo on them, that moisture made them fall apart. They have great flavor, but, I must have done something wrong???
Hey Cocapelle,

Sounds like you didn't have enough cream cheese in it. Sounds a lot like the original revolution rolls. What's great about the oopsies is they are much sturdier because of the added fat. Some folks even use half a 8 oz cream cheese stick for 3 eggs. Makes a very sturdy bun. I, myself, use a third a cream cheese stick and a tablespoon mayo. You just need to up the fat and make sure your whites are stiff; Like you could turn the bowl upside down and they'd be ok. No falling.

Hope this helps.

"Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning" - Anonymous
swinglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Swinglow. I will try the mayo and 4 oz of cream cheese. The egg whites were very stiff. I wonder if I could have "over folded" the mix??? They held their shape, when I put them on the sheet, but, I did fold until I didn't see anymore white color.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Swinglow. I will try the mayo and 4 oz of cream cheese. The egg whites were very stiff. I wonder if I could have "over folded" the mix??? They held their shape, when I put them on the sheet, but, I did fold until I didn't see anymore white color.
It doesn't sound like you overfolded, they would have been flat if you did. I always fold mine until you can't see any more white, Although some people here don't. I think the recipe is very versatile, I see some here say they leave little bits of cream cheese in the yolks. I do my cream cheese and yolks with an immersion blenter while the whites are whipping in the mixer, and they are always very smooth. Just keep practicing and you will find what works for you. I think it sounds like they needed to bake a little longer, sometimes I bake mine 35-40 minutes.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #314
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swinglow
Stats: 247.6/236.6/195
WOE: Simeon's R1P2 til May 15, 2010
Start Date: March 28, 2010
Quote:
Happy to help, Cocapelle. One thing, though, if you use the 4 ounces of cream cheese you won't need the mayo. It's one or the other.

I fold mine until it's all blended but that's because I use xanthan in my whites. Makes em really hold up so I can get away with it.
swinglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! I'll try a little more cream cheese, or mayo, and bake them a little longer.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: H20Goddess
Stats: 181/140/140, 5'9
WOE: LC / Whole Foods
Start Date: Jan 10, 2005
Had a couple of Oopsies left over from this past weekend and decided to make a couple of cheese muffins with them. Simply sprinkled a little bit of Italian seasoning on them, a shake of garlic and then topped them with shredded cheddar and stuck them in the oven for approx. 10 mins. or for as long as it took to melt the cheese. The result? DELICIOUS!!! I'm going to make a new batch of Oopsies this evening just to make more cheese muffins. These will be great for snacking on at work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cake1.jpg (69.8 KB, 194 views)
H20Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #317
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 12yrslater
Stats: UGH
Start Date: Induction: 10/20/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Goddess View Post
Had a couple of Oopsies left over from this past weekend and decided to make a couple of cheese muffins with them. Simply sprinkled a little bit of Italian seasoning on them, a shake of garlic and then topped them with shredded cheddar and stuck them in the oven for approx. 10 mins. or for as long as it took to melt the cheese. The result? DELICIOUS!!! I'm going to make a new batch of Oopsies this evening just to make more cheese muffins. These will be great for snacking on at work.
Did you omit the splenda from the original recipe to make these?
12yrslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12yrslater View Post
Did you omit the splenda from the original recipe to make these?
Nope. These were leftover from the very first batch of Oopsies I made this past weekend. I made them according to Cleo's original recipe, calling for 1 packet of Splenda. I think the dash of salt and the sweetener in this recipe balance each other out so that neither flavour is dominent over the other.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #319

They are light and airy!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cynthia12368
Stats: 300/268/170
Start Date: Restart 1/06/2008
Here is a link to a video showing how to Beat Egg Whites w/ a Stand Mixer - Look & Cook: Beating Egg Whites - AOL Video

Here is a link to a video showing how to fold ingredients together - Look & Cook: Folding - AOL Video
Cynthia12368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #321
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
I had Oopsie rolls with Homemade Salmon cakes on them with a touch of mayo and lettuce for supper. YUMMY!! Wish I would had taken a picture but didn't. Now I am out and got to make a fresh batch tomorrow. I made a double batch and put them in my Lock and Lock storage containers with a small corner open and they lasted a week for me!!

HUGS and keep the Oopsie roll ideas coming!
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #322
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Those look great, H2o!!!

You guys are so clever!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:

This happened to me on my first batch. I'm sure I didnt bake them long enough sice they weren't very brown. I toasted them in the toaster for a short time, then used them for a sandwhich and they held up to even tuna salad. They were great!

Maybe you can try toasting them next time.
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:53 AM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks again Cleo!!!

Oh my I think I've died and gone to pizza heaven! After experimenting with Oopsies and seeing how great they were to make cheese muffins, I decided to try to make a full-sized Oopsie pizza last evening and the results were amazing! My photos aren't the greatest in quality but hopefully you get the idea.

Oopsies make a GREAT pizza crust! I used the original recipe as per Cleo's instructions. The only think I did differently was that I added some Italian seasoning to the egg yolk mixture just before folding it into the egg whites. Once folding the yolk into the whites, I spread the mixture into well-greased (I used butter) full-sized pizza pan (I used an aluminum one), slightly patting the mixture down with a spatula just to ensure even coverage of the pan. My apologies, I didn't think to take a picture of it before I put it in the oven. Stuck the "crust" into a preheated 300 degree oven and baked it for 20 minutes. After removing the crust from the oven I stuck it in the fridge for approx 7 - 10 minutes to let it cool down before I added the tomato sauce. In hindsight I suppose you really don't have to cool it in the fridge. The crust really does hold up very well.

After adding the tomato sauce and cheeses and all the other toppings I stuck the pizza back into the oven and increased the oven temperature to approx. 400 degrees and baked it for another 30 minutes or until the cheese started bubbling.

The crust was extremely pliable and as you can see from the photo I had no problem at all eating it with my bare hands. It wasn't greasy or messy in the least. It looks and feels just like real pizza crust even on the bottom. It was just like eating "real" pizza, honestly. It was very, very, VERY good. I ate two huge slices...lol. My mother, who isn't low carb at all, happened to be around and I gave her a slice and she thought it was delicious too. I have a nice sized slice in my lunch bag at work today and can't wait until lunch time.

Last edited by H20Goddess; 02-20-2008 at 05:55 AM..
Old 02-20-2008, 06:01 AM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks again Cleo!!!
Oh my I think I've died and gone to pizza heaven! After experimenting with Oopsies and seeing how great they were to make cheese muffins, I decided to try to make a full-sized Oopsie pizza last evening and the results were amazing! My photos aren't the greatest in quality but hopefully you get the idea.
Wow that looks amazing!!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 AM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Goddess View Post

Oopsies make a GREAT pizza crust! I used the original recipe as per Cleo's instructions. The only think I did differently was that I added some Italian seasoning to the egg yolk mixture just before folding it into the egg whites. Once folding the yolk into the whites, I spread the mixture into well-greased (I used butter) full-sized pizza pan (I used an aluminum one), slightly patting the mixture down with a spatula just to ensure even coverage of the pan. My apologies, I didn't think to take a picture of it before I put it in the oven. Stuck the "crust" into a preheated 300 degree oven and baked it for 20 minutes. After removing the crust from the oven I stuck it in the fridge for approx 7 - 10 minutes to let it cool down before I added the tomato sauce. In hindsight I suppose you really don't have to cool it in the fridge. The crust really does hold up very well.

After adding the tomato sauce and cheeses and all the other toppings I stuck the pizza back into the oven and increased the oven temperature to approx. 400 degrees and baked it for another 30 minutes or until the cheese started bubbling.

The crust was extremely pliable and as you can see from the photo I had no problem at all eating it with my bare hands. It wasn't greasy or messy in the least. It looks and feels just like real pizza crust even on the bottom. It was just like eating "real" pizza, honestly. It was very, very, VERY good. I ate two huge slices...lol. My mother, who isn't low carb at all, happened to be around and I gave her a slice and she thought it was delicious too. I have a nice sized slice in my lunch bag at work today and can't wait until lunch time.

Yumm-O
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #327

Pretty close to LindaSue's, but so much easier to make!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #328

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
H20Goddess, how many batches of Oopsie batter did you use to make your pizza crust? Was that a 12-inch pan you used?
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:59 AM   #329
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
That is GORGEOUS, H20 goddess! You done great!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:06 AM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
H20Goddess, how many batches of Oopsie batter did you use to make your pizza crust? Was that a 12-inch pan you used?
I just used the 3-egg recipe (enough for six Oopsie rolls) of Oopsie batter. And yes, I used a regular 12 inch pizza pan.

Edit: I should mention that my crust came out not to thin, and not too thick. Depending on the thickness you prefer you could increase the batter likewise.

Last edited by H20Goddess; 02-20-2008 at 08:18 AM..