Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: AnDee
Stats: 218/183..up 199.6...now 182.2..on the way down!
WOE: Uncomplicated LC - No Flour or Grains
Start Date: Oct. 18, 2004
[COLOR="Navy"]Taaa da! My cake was a success. The lemon jello was yummy for the cake and topped whipped cream and strawberries it was the perfect dessert after eating out tonight. Getting the cake out of the pan was a breeze. I sprayed it really well with the no stick spray and cooled the cake for about 10 minutes (in front of an open window) and the cake shrunk a bit, then it plopped out of the pan with ease. This recipe is an absolute keeper!

Sorry, I can't get the photos any smaller tonight. [/COLOR]

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Need2LoseNow
Stats: 439/434/199
WOE: low carb
Start Date: today
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnDee View Post
[COLOR=Navy]Taaa da! My cake was a success. The lemon jello was yummy for the cake and topped whipped cream and strawberries it was the perfect dessert after eating out tonight. Getting the cake out of the pan was a breeze. I sprayed it really well with the no stick spray and cooled the cake for about 10 minutes (in front of an open window) and the cake shrunk a bit, then it plopped out of the pan with ease. This recipe is an absolute keeper!

Sorry, I can't get the photos any smaller tonight. [/COLOR]

oh man!! that is absolutely gorgeous!!!
Need2LoseNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
Need2lose : The poke method that I am talking about is: Normally you take a white cake mix and bake as directed, then when the cake is cooled you take a small package of jello and add only 1 cup of water. Then you take a tooth pick or meat fork and poke holes all over the top of the cake. You then take the liquid jello (1 cup water&small pkg jello) and dump it all over the top with the jello running down the holes that you poke. Put the cake in the fridge for 1 hour and top with whipped cream. You end up with a white cake with little streaks of red running down the pieces. I actually tried this with the oopsie cake and it worked. You end up with little bursts of strawberry flavor every where there is a jello poke. Hope this explains it for you. Kathy
kathy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:13 AM   #274
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Determinedtolose
Kathy that sounds like a wonderful idea! I'm glad it worked too, because I am a big poke cake fan.
Determinedtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #275
Senior LCF Member

we have oopsie cake success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2LoseNow View Post
well, the verdict is in! the cake is totally yummy!! i had a small piece last night and it was good! the only thing i might do is omit the orange extract or use a little less...its giving me a slight aftertaste....but other than that, im enjoying it! the buttercream frosting is AWESOME! i'll definitely be making that again at some point! i have peach and cherry jello too, so im gonna make those flavored oopsie cakes too!

here it is all frosted....

and here's my slice...it was really good last night, but i havent had any today. it chilled in the fridge overnight.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #276

That looks beautiful, Need2losenow!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I officially started the oopsie diet! Made 3 kinds. . .one plain, one savory and for pizza, and the sweet one with jello. All portion wrapped and ready for the week.

Thanks one and all for the ideas.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #278

Brilliant Janie!!!!
That's a good idea!
Old 02-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: my3sons
Stats: SCARED
WOE: Low Carb & walking
Start Date: March 2005
I have tried to make these 2 times now-and I CAN NOT seem to get my egg whites stiff-I use the cream of tarter and an electric mixer-Always runny-Have some in the oven now that Im hoping will be somewhat edible!! Anybody tell me what Im doing wrong?!?!?! Thanks
my3sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #280

I know when I first started making the rev rolls that would happen to me too my3sons.
But I notice that if I get any egg yolk in the whites that can make them watery when folding.

What I tried from reading here is, use eggs at room temp, use a metal bowl when whipping the whites up, and when you fold the yolks with the whites, add a little of the whites to the yolks to kind of help combine them, then pour the yolks in the whites and fold very carefully.

I use a wooden spoon or a metal spoon. I haven't had a problem since.

Don't give up, you'll get the hang of it.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Red
Stats: 5'8 tall, 47 years young, 174/165/145
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Started Atkins 2003- Re-started induction 01/03/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons View Post
I have tried to make these 2 times now-and I CAN NOT seem to get my egg whites stiff-I use the cream of tarter and an electric mixer-Always runny-Have some in the oven now that Im hoping will be somewhat edible!! Anybody tell me what Im doing wrong?!?!?! Thanks
Never throw away a whoopsie oopsie. You can use them for pizza crusts if they come out flat or they still hold up as a bun. Mine were flat the first couple of times but were still yummy.
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swinglow
Stats: 247.6/236.6/195
WOE: Simeon's R1P2 til May 15, 2010
Start Date: March 28, 2010
Helps to put your beeters, bowl and spatula (or whatever you use for folding) in the freezer for a bit before, too. Also a vinegar wipe down is great if you must use a plastic bowl.
swinglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Here are my tips. ( I use an electric mixer)

1. Use eggs that are at least 3 or 4 days old. Thin, older egg whites whip more easily to a higher volume than thick, fresh egg whites. Once whipped, the foam from thin whites is less stable because the liquid film drains more easily from the bubbles.

2. Use a very clean metal bowl. I chill mine and my beaters.

3. Do not let ANY yolk get in with your whites. Don't fish eggshell out with your fingers- use part of the broken yolk. The tiniest bit of fat or egg yolk will wreck it as fat interferes with the formation of good foam.

4. After separating, bring egg whites to room temperature to ensure volume when beating, as warmer eggs whip faster than cold eggs. Egg whites right out of the refrigerator will not whip well. A beaten egg white can foam to 6 to 8 times its original volume if the egg whites have been at room temperature for 30 minutes before beating.

5. Be sure all your utensils are dry. Any moisture can be a problem. A humid day can even make it harder to whip them.

6. Use cream of tartar, it helps.

7. Be sure you are beating long enough. Soft peaks have tips that curl over when the beaters are lifted. For stiff peaks, continue beating egg whites on high speed until they form peaks with tips that stand straight when the beaters are lifted.

8. Work straight through and don't stop to take a break as the foam can break down.

9. Fold some of the stiff egg whites into the yolk mixture first to lighten it and then return it all to the whites and FOLD very carefully. Don't over fold. Leave some clumps of egg white for the oopsies.
Another helpful tip is that the heaviest ingredient must be on the bottom — so don’t pour the yolk batter onto the beaten eggs, scoop the eggs onto the yolk batter. Then begin to fold.

10. Be careful not to grease your sheet or spray it with Pam when you are plopping your mixture on it. It will cause them to start to spread and get watery and become flat.

HTH!!

Last edited by sungoddess; 02-17-2008 at 04:10 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cynthia12368
Stats: 300/268/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/06/2008
Cuban Sandwich

Tonight I made a Cuban Sandwich with Oopsie Rolls and it was GREAT! I really like the texture of these rolls because the original Rev Rolls were way too crumbly and sticky for me.

I've never posted pictures on here before, so I hope this works...

Cuban Oopsie Sandwich.jpg

Cuban Oopsie Sandwich (2).jpg
Cynthia12368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Oh my goodness, I haven't had a cuban sandwhich in years! I LOVE THEM!!! See, that's why I love coming to this board. You get so many great ideas that make low carbing just plain fun fun fun. Thanks Cynthia!! Ham, cheese, pickles and mustard, right?
Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #286
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: gettinserious
Stats: 3++/3++/170
WOE: lowcarb foods
Start Date: argh
Does anyone use a hand mixer? I have a big old Cusianart kind of mixer (think 1960s!) and while I love it, if a metal bowl will work better, I'd rather use my hand mixer. Less to clean ya know!
gettinserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cynthia12368
Stats: 300/268/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/06/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinglow View Post
Oh my goodness, I haven't had a cuban sandwhich in years! I LOVE THEM!!! See, that's why I love coming to this board. You get so many great ideas that make low carbing just plain fun fun fun. Thanks Cynthia!! Ham, cheese, pickles and mustard, right?
You're welcome, Swinglow. I made my sandwich with mustard, pickle stackers, roasted pork, ham and swiss cheese. Then I fried each side in butter, in my medium cast iron skillet, while smushing it down with my small cast iron skillet on top.

Last edited by Cynthia12368; 02-17-2008 at 07:35 PM..
Cynthia12368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #288
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: greannmhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinserious View Post
Does anyone use a hand mixer? I have a big old Cusianart kind of mixer (think 1960s!) and while I love it, if a metal bowl will work better, I'd rather use my hand mixer. Less to clean ya know!
I use a Kenwood Chef with a plastic bowl. Absolutely no bother getting the whites beaten into submission. Just make sure the bowl is squeeky clean and you should be ok. Eggs at room temperature - at LEAST 2 hours - is next. I don't refrigerate my eggs ever, so I don't have to remember in advance.
Babs
greannmhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #289
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: gettinserious
Stats: 3++/3++/170
WOE: lowcarb foods
Start Date: argh
hmmm, I usually wait 1/2 an hour. They come out ok, some are flat, but most of them are just the way they should be. Its the ones toward the bottom of the barrel that get kind of runny. lol. Especially the first time I did it and tried making TWO batches to once! OY VEY!

I am pretty good at doing the egg white thing. I just wondered if a hand mixer would do just as well. So thanks for that info.

I do have to say though that I did get some yolk in my whites once and it DID whip up fine. Go figure. Not saying its ok to do this all the time, but I still use it. Eggs are WAY too expensive to waste. lol.
GOAL #1: Get into size 22s or beyond by August!
GOAL #2: Lose 100 lbs by years end for a new wardrobe!!

"Cheats happen but the next moment starts now. What you do with it is up to you. Cheat again or abstain... its up to you."
gettinserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Sounds delish, Cynthia. Definitely gonna make one of those this week.

I use a hand mixer, Determined. Works like a charm.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:53 AM   #291

I made more rolls again. I totally love them! I double the recipe to get more and added some onion powder and salt. I wanted to put some minced dried onion on top, but forgot! They are still good!

I think, though, I need to bake mine for at least 10 minutes longer. Well actually, I didn't rotate my pans this time because one pan, the tops got brown and their bottoms stayed light and the other pan, the tops stayed light and the bottoms got brown. The browned bottoms were more sturdier the soft bottom.

I'll remember next time.

What I really love about these rolls is that they take no time for me to make anymore. I can just whip them up in a snap as I'm sure everybody can now!

I absolutely love them Cleo! I don't think we can ever exhaust the words "Thank You"!
Old 02-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
1. Cream of tartar is a must if you don't want to be totally frustrated. Xanthan gum in addition is even better.

2. Using an electric hand beater, I have timed the beating at anywhere from 7-9 minutes for very firm whites that don't slosh around the bowl. Yup! That long! (I had always stopped way before then until I read somewhere that it can take this long -- that gave me the confidence to just keep beatin' em to death, and that's when I made my first successful batch of truly stiff whites.)

3. If you haven't remembered to bring your eggs to room temp, simply let the unshelled eggs sit in a bowl of slightly warm water for a few minutes before separating.

HTH,

-Retroworx
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Wow, I honestly believe chilling your bowl is truly necessary, now. I beat my whites for no longer than 3 to 4 minutes and they get uber thick. I use only a hand mixer and I agree that cream of tartar and xanthan just makes the world a better place. LOL Ok, well maybe not all that, but definitely makes whipping your whites into submission easier.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinserious View Post
I am pretty good at doing the egg white thing. I just wondered if a hand mixer would do just as well. So thanks for that info.
I use an old-fashioned egg beater where you turn a crank on the side. It beats the whites stiff in 55 seconds. I timed it. The electric hand mixer takes 6 minutes. Go figure.

You can also use a whisk. That only takes a few minutes, also.
weasel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel! View Post
I use an old-fashioned egg beater where you turn a crank on the side. It beats the whites stiff in 55 seconds. I timed it. The electric hand mixer takes 6 minutes. Go figure.

You can also use a whisk. That only takes a few minutes, also.
i LOVE those egg beaters!! now i have to get one! lol
Old 02-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mslaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
1. Cream of tartar is a must if you don't want to be totally frustrated. Xanthan gum in addition is even better.

2. Using an electric hand beater, I have timed the beating at anywhere from 7-9 minutes for very firm whites that don't slosh around the bowl. Yup! That long! (I had always stopped way before then until I read somewhere that it can take this long -- that gave me the confidence to just keep beatin' em to death, and that's when I made my first successful batch of truly stiff whites.)

3. If you haven't remembered to bring your eggs to room temp, simply let the unshelled eggs sit in a bowl of slightly warm water for a few minutes before separating.

HTH,

-Retroworx
How much xanthan gum do you use and when to do you add it to your egg white?
mslaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mslaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia12368 View Post
Tonight I made a Cuban Sandwich with Oopsie Rolls and it was GREAT! I really like the texture of these rolls because the original Rev Rolls were way too crumbly and sticky for me.

I've never posted pictures on here before, so I hope this works...

Attachment 10891

Attachment 10892

Never had a Cuban sandwich before, but this was really good! I didn't feel deprived while the family was eating sub sandwiches. Thanks for the recipe
mslaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
Interesting that so many people recommend room temp eggs. I did that for a while, but I broke a lot of yolks. I find the eggs separate much, much more easily when cold. The whites seem to beat stiff a little faster when cold, also.

I like the cream cheese to be a room temp, however. Cleo's recipe says it should be cold, but I haven't seen an explanation how come.
weasel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #299
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel! View Post
Interesting that so many people recommend room temp eggs. I did that for a while, but I broke a lot of yolks. I find the eggs separate much, much more easily when cold. The whites seem to beat stiff a little faster when cold, also.

I like the cream cheese to be a room temp, however. Cleo's recipe says it should be cold, but I haven't seen an explanation how come.

Cooking school directions were to separate them while cold and let them sit to room temperature. But different strokes for different folks and people should just go with what works for them!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #300
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: alove4candles
Stats: 169/155/130
WOE: Workin With My Body
I made Oopsies for the first time and my DH made burgers last night. So I piled my Oopsies with avacado&mayo spread, lettuce, bacon, pickle and cheese....I never knew I could eat like this while still in Induction!!! I am sssooo glad I have found LCF & the Oopsie recipes. Next is the Oopsie Strawberry Cake
alove4candles is offline   Reply With Quote