Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 06:10 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsadm
Stats: Way too big/Too big/Much smaller
WOE: Atkins
Has anyone tried Coconut flour?

If so, how have you used it? Would it be any good for "breading" and frying, as in chicken cutlets? Is there a preferred brand?
Thanks!
mrsadm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I use it to make coconut shrimp along with unsweetened coconut. I used it once to make some coconut "cookies" too. They were a little dry but good. [/COLOR]
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
I think the general consensus has been that it's not very useful and doesn't simulate or perform as well as real or other low-carb flour subs. I've tried it in a few things, including recipes in the coconut flour cookbook, and nothing is ever quite right, I'm afraid.

Susan
retroworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
I am trying to get rid of my two packages by substituting 1/4 cup in recipes for flaxseed muffins, cakes and blueberry muffins. I do not like it when it is used as the primary flour.

It needs a lot of eggs to make it hold together and it makes the recipe too eggy for my tastes. When I get rid of the flour I have, I will not purchase any more.

gs
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I don't remember who posted this recipe, or where, but it's absolutely the best!

[COLOR="Blue"]3 Minute Coconut Flour Brownie

2 T. melted butter
2 T. cocoa powder
splash vanilla
1 egg
1/2 teas. baking powder
1 T. oil
2 T. coconut flour
1 T. cream
sweetener to - 1/2 c. (I use 8 drops sweetzfree + scant 1/4 cup Erythritol)

Whisk together. Nuke for 1 1 1/2 minutes depending on microwave.

I make this in a shallow square container, cut into 2 servings and like topped with a little whipped cream. I usually add a few chopped walnuts into the batter. Recipe is from Big Daddy D on another site.[/COLOR]
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FatKat184
Stats: 160/152/140
WOE: low carb
I use it to bake with, along with almond meal & whey protein powder.

I tweaked a favorite recipe for one bowl chocolate cake and came up with really yummy cupcakes! Moist, dense, and VERY flavorful.

fiercelyshe.com - Chocolate Cupcakes FiercelyShe Style...Gluten And Sugar Free!
FatKat184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:13 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Peanut Butter-Coconut Cookies~~

1 C [COLOR=#0066cc]Almond Flour[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]3/4 C Coconut
26 packets Splenda
1 C Natural Peanut Butter
1 scoop protein powder
2 Jumbo Eggs
1/4 C [/COLOR][COLOR=#0066cc]Ground Flax[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] Seed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Mix ingredients together. Form into 24 balls on a baking sheet. Use a fork to press into cookie shape. Bake for 8 minutes.

Makes 24
Nutritional breakdown per cookie:
120 cal/9.3g fat/2.6 net carbs/5.2 g protein
(1.6 g fiber per cookie)
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]Peanut Butter Muffins

2 tablespoons of [COLOR=#0066cc]coconut flour[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]1 teaspoon baking powder
2-3 packets low carb sweetener ( I use [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0066cc]stevia[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000], but anything should work)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (or almond butter if you don't like peanuts)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325.

I mixed all the dry ingredients together first, then cut in the peanut butter til it was crumbly. Then, I beat in the eggs and vanilla until the batter was thick and smooth.

I got it to spread evenly among 12 greased mini muffin cups. The batter will puff while cooking, and the finished product looks like a real muffin, not an eggy souffle.

I baked mine for 7 minutes in my toaster oven. It may take slightly longer in a regular sized one, but it is good to check at 7 minutes. They are done when a wooden toothpick tests clean.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]
17 total carbs, 11g fiber, 26 g fat and 19 g protein[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Peanut Butter-Coconut Cookies~~

1 C [COLOR=#0066cc]Almond Flour[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]3/4 C Coconut
26 packets Splenda
1 C Natural Peanut Butter
1 scoop protein powder
2 Jumbo Eggs
1/4 C [/COLOR][COLOR=#0066cc]Ground Flax[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] Seed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Mix ingredients together. Form into 24 balls on a baking sheet. Use a fork to press into cookie shape. Bake for 8 minutes.

Makes 24
Nutritional breakdown per cookie:
120 cal/9.3g fat/2.6 net carbs/5.2 g protein
(1.6 g fiber per cookie)
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]Peanut Butter Muffins

2 tablespoons of [COLOR=#0066cc]coconut flour[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]1 teaspoon baking powder
2-3 packets low carb sweetener ( I use [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0066cc]stevia[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000], but anything should work)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (or almond butter if you don't like peanuts)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325.

I mixed all the dry ingredients together first, then cut in the peanut butter til it was crumbly. Then, I beat in the eggs and vanilla until the batter was thick and smooth.

I got it to spread evenly among 12 greased mini muffin cups. The batter will puff while cooking, and the finished product looks like a real muffin, not an eggy souffle.

I baked mine for 7 minutes in my toaster oven. It may take slightly longer in a regular sized one, but it is good to check at 7 minutes. They are done when a wooden toothpick tests clean.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]
17 total carbs, 11g fiber, 26 g fat and 19 g protein[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
Nigel,

these look great! can't wait to try 'em out!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKat184 View Post

I tweaked a favorite recipe for one bowl chocolate cake and came up with really yummy cupcakes! Moist, dense, and VERY flavorful.

Thanks for the recipe! I use coconut flour with almond flour too, but haven't tried it with protein powder. I'll have to try it. I don't like it with a lot of eggs either, but have noticed it does well (so far) with a flax/water substitute that I whirled in the blender. I really like it as a filler for meatloaf and salmon patties too. My kids and husband agree.

I forgot to ask what your tweak was for the recipe above.

Thanks, Criosa

Last edited by Criosa; 01-21-2008 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: tweak question
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
Here's another great link -

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...y-muffins.html

I have made these w/blueberries or rasperries or lime extract or chopped lc chocolate bar... and sometime no add in... We really like these!
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:

These look great! Is the lo han absolutely necessary?
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
These look great! Is the lo han absolutely necessary?
i like to use the three sweeteners (xylitol, stevia, lo han) because they each bring out the better "sweet" in the other. stevia is too bitter (to my tastebuds) to use alone, xylitol is too carby to use alone, and the lo han doesn't provide any bulk if used alone. also, with regard to the lo han, i can't yet find one that doesn't use fructose as a filler. i'm not a big fan of fructose (converts in your liver to triglycerides). that said, the amount of fructose is SO microscopic that i look the other way.

you certainly can try the recipe without it! only the taste would be affected, if at all. just keep tasting the batter to make sure it's sweet enough.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tryinghardtolose
Stats: 195/149.8/140
Nigel...on your Peanut Butter Coconut Cookies recipe...you said 3/4 C Coconut. Is that unsweetened coconut or coconut flour. My guess is coconut flour since this is a coconut flour thread but I just want to make sure!

Also, do you or anyone else know how much of a quick pack I would use instead of the 26 packets of Splenda?

I have a whole bag of coconut flour that's been in my freezer for a while and I've been afraid to use it, after all of the negative comments about how dry it turns out. I'm excited to try these recipes!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]There are 48 teaspoons in 1 cup. There are 2 tsp in a packet of Splenda. So 24 packets = 1 cup. One pack of Quick Pack is equal to 1 cup of sugar. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]That makes 1 pack QP = to 48 tsp sugar or 24 packets Splenda. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]The hard part is to figure how much of a QP for the extra 2 pkts (4 tsp which is just over 1 Tbsp.) Approx 1/16 of a tsp of the QP. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]So 1 Quick Pack + 1/16 tsp. You might find the 1 QP is enough. [/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
i like to use the three sweeteners (xylitol, stevia, lo han) because they each bring out the better "sweet" in the other. stevia is too bitter (to my tastebuds) to use alone, xylitol is too carby to use alone, and the lo han doesn't provide any bulk if used alone. also, with regard to the lo han, i can't yet find one that doesn't use fructose as a filler. i'm not a big fan of fructose (converts in your liver to triglycerides). that said, the amount of fructose is SO microscopic that i look the other way.

you certainly can try the recipe without it! only the taste would be affected, if at all. just keep tasting the batter to make sure it's sweet enough.
Yeah, it's a shame they call their Lo Han sweeteners "calorie-free" when they're using fructose! I found pure Lo Han Extract, but it was $18 for 2 0z! You can it online for about $14 w/shipping included. It's called Life Solutions Lo Han Extract. I heard it doesn't even sweeten that well. Apparently past a certain point it doesn't get any sweeter. When I get more erythritol, I'll try using that as the third sweetener. Thanks for the recipe!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Yeah, it's a shame they call their Lo Han sweeteners "calorie-free" when they're using fructose! I found pure Lo Han Extract, but it was $18 for 2 0z! You can it online for about $14 w/shipping included. It's called Life Solutions Lo Han Extract. I heard it doesn't even sweeten that well. Apparently past a certain point it doesn't get any sweeter. When I get more erythritol, I'll try using that as the third sweetener. Thanks for the recipe!
THANKS for the info on the lo han!! (the sweetener thing can be so frustrating...i do great eating clean EXCEPT during my period. then i CRAVE chocolate and indulge with this recipe. hope you like it! )
Old 01-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tryinghardtolose
Stats: 195/149.8/140
crazywoman....thanks for the translation! I do have some packets so I could just add 2 of them. I only wanted to use the QP to save carbs.

Thanks again!
Tryinghardtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryinghardtolose View Post
Nigel...on your Peanut Butter Coconut Cookies recipe...you said 3/4 C Coconut. Is that unsweetened coconut or coconut flour. My guess is coconut flour since this is a coconut flour thread but I just want to make sure!

Also, do you or anyone else know how much of a quick pack I would use instead of the 26 packets of Splenda?

I have a whole bag of coconut flour that's been in my freezer for a while and I've been afraid to use it, after all of the negative comments about how dry it turns out. I'm excited to try these recipes!

Thanks in advance!
Oh, so sorry, it is coconut, not coconut flour...guess I wasn't paying attention...

For breading, I use coconut flour mixed with some parmesan and almond flour and a little ranch dressing mix (dry)...First I mix up an egg and some cream and dip the chicken in that and then in the breading mixture. You have to cook at a lower temperature than you do for regular deep fried chicken but it comes out pretty tasty. You can also bake this instead of frying it, but when I bake it, I use a little butter in the pan also--helps to crisp it up.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
bump
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeighDear
I make these pecan muffins all the time....My own recipe, adapted from a label on the Coconut Flour package...

3 eggs beaten
3 tbs. melted butter, cooled
1Tbs. Vanilla Davinci's syrup
2 Tbs. Heavy Cream
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
pinch salt
1/4 c. Diabetisweet or Splenda
1/4 Cup PLUS 1 Tbs. Coconut Flour
2/3 Cup chopped Pecans

Whisk liquid ingredients in a large bowl til thoroughly mixed. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl til well mixed. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well til smooth. Add pecans. (Mixture will be pretty thin) Let sit at least 10-15 minutes
Spoon into greased muffin cups, about 1/2 full. Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes. Cool in pan, then on a wire rack.

These muffins may seem a bit soft & "eggy" while warm, but they aren't when cool. They are very moist and taste delicious....
LeighDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ReneeD70
WOE: lchf
Is coconut flour just unsweetened coconut finely ground? Kinda like almond flour is really natural almonds finely ground?
ReneeD70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeD70 View Post
Is coconut flour just unsweetened coconut finely ground? Kinda like almond flour is really natural almonds finely ground?
Coconut Flour is made from fresh organic coconut meat. The meat is dried and defatted and then finely ground into a powder very similar in consistency to wheat flour.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
THANKS for the info on the lo han!! (the sweetener thing can be so frustrating...i do great eating clean EXCEPT during my period. then i CRAVE chocolate and indulge with this recipe. hope you like it! )
Totally know what you mean about TOM! It's a dangerous few days there cravings-wise.

Do you have a carb count for these? I am going to try them with pecan meal (instead of almond flour) and hazelnut oil. They look so yummy!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryinghardtolose View Post
crazywoman....thanks for the translation! I do have some packets so I could just add 2 of them. I only wanted to use the QP to save carbs.

Thanks again!
[COLOR=red]You are most welcome! Ya had me kinda confused here for a moment, but I guess ya meant you would use one QP & 2 packets (cause ya asked about 26 packets)? .... Yes, there is a conciderable difference in the carb count between 1 QP & 24 packets![/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I have a huge bag of coconut and have tried to make everything from muffins to cookies with it, with varying results. The texture is not great for a main flour. I find Carbquik, Carbalose, or one of Kevin's flour mixes to be more useful, but I'm going to have to use up this bag somehow so I'll try some of the recipes in this thread.

I've also used coconut flour to bread meat before frying. It has tasted good, but it sucks up so much oil it's frightening.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighDear View Post
I make these pecan muffins all the time....My own recipe, adapted from a label on the Coconut Flour package...

3 eggs beaten
3 tbs. melted butter, cooled
1Tbs. Vanilla Davinci's syrup
2 Tbs. Heavy Cream
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
pinch salt
1/4 c. Diabetisweet or Splenda
1/4 Cup PLUS 1 Tbs. Coconut Flour
2/3 Cup chopped Pecans

Whisk liquid ingredients in a large bowl til thoroughly mixed. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl til well mixed. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well til smooth. Add pecans. (Mixture will be pretty thin) Let sit at least 10-15 minutes
Spoon into greased muffin cups, about 1/2 full. Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes. Cool in pan, then on a wire rack.

These muffins may seem a bit soft & "eggy" while warm, but they aren't when cool. They are very moist and taste delicious....
How many did this recipe make and did you use regular or mini-muffin pans? Also, do you or anyone else on this thread know what the shelf-life is on the coconut flour. I have had some for a couple of years and it is still sealed and stored in a dark cupboard. Any help will be appreciated.
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeighDear
First, I store my coconut flour in a Ziplok bag, in the freezer....even dried & ground, coconut flour has some moisture in it.....you can't leave it in the pantry like regular flour....

My posted recipe actually makes a LOT....It yields 12 mini-muffins, and 6 regular-size muffins for 1 recipe....

I take the mini pan out at 15 minutes....The regular pans actually come out of the oven at 22 minutes.....

I didn't use liners....just sprayed the pans with non-stick....

They really are SO yummy.....My non-LC DBF loves them.....

You can sub the DaVincis vanilla for some almond extract and sub the pecans for toasted, chopped almonds.....AWSOME!
LeighDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nibbs
Stats: want to tone & tighten
WOE: Everything in moderation
Coconut flour can be used to bread pork chops or other recipes - just used 1/4 to 1/2 cup coconut flour mixed in with your regular flour. Coconut flour absorbs liquid. It works great! Just be careful how much you eat & how much fruit you eat! Too much of both will stop you up!! :blush:
Nibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:44 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steadfast
Stats: 169/142/135
WOE: Atkins, BFL 6/23/05, Atkins 1/09
Start Date: 1/5/04, restart 1/09
I just made Leigh's muffin recipe this morning using just a few toasted Almonds and almond extract. I made a streusel (LC!) topping, here: Healthy Indulgences I saved some of the topping in the refrigerator because I did not need it all. It would also be good with nuts added to the topping but I am limiting nuts right now!

They were delicious! I wish I knew the carb count. I ate two for a breakfast/lunch meal today. Wonderful with coffee for something different than eggs. I made 5 regular sized muffins and baked 21 minutes. Thanks so much, Leigh, for a wonderful recipe! It seems like it would be very adaptable to various ideas (coconut muffins, chocolate muffins, etc)
Steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieRobo View Post
Here's another great link -

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...y-muffins.html

I have made these w/blueberries or rasperries or lime extract or chopped lc chocolate bar... and sometime no add in... We really like these!
I just made these and they are terrific! They actually look and taste like muffins! YUM, thanks for the recipe!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote