Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I think I read on someone's blog that they are using soybeans for this. Maybe experiment and let us know how they turn out!

How about that carrot cake? Anyone??

I am still looking for the recipe that does not use ricotta or cream cheese. I wish I was more organized and didn't lose the recipe that I had! It was so easy and simple. I just cannot remember what else besides beans, sweetener, chocolate that it used. It was all thrown in the food processor which made it super simple to make. And they were very dense and moist and fudgey.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nekkidfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
I think I read on someone's blog that they are using soybeans for this. Maybe experiment and let us know how they turn out!

How about that carrot cake? Anyone??

I am still looking for the recipe that does not use ricotta or cream cheese. I wish I was more organized and didn't lose the recipe that I had! It was so easy and simple. I just cannot remember what else besides beans, sweetener, chocolate that it used. It was all thrown in the food processor which made it super simple to make. And they were very dense and moist and fudgey.
Ditto on the carrot cake! Several of us have asked for it, but no response yet.

HUGz! Jules
nekkidfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #213
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Tilly, the only other bean cake I've made was a white bean version of the chocolate cake, which I think that recipe is upthread here.

I DO have a pumpkin cake recipe, and I use Chicken Lady's carrot cake, so can point you at those if you like, but they are NOT bean cakes.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Tilly, the only other bean cake I've made was a white bean version of the chocolate cake, which I think that recipe is upthread here.

I DO have a pumpkin cake recipe, and I use Chicken Lady's carrot cake, so can point you at those if you like, but they are NOT bean cakes.
Char, I *thought* that someone said they made a carrot cake version using this recipe, but I don't think they ever came back to post the recipe.

Seen anything like that?

HUGz! Jules
Old 06-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #215
Gadget Gal

I did see it, they used strained baby food carrots IIRC - not sure if it was the whole recipe or not though.

Will try a search and see!
Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I haven't made the brownies using black soybeans, but I always use the black soy in my chocolate cake. It is terrific.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post
Char, I *thought* that someone said they made a carrot cake version using this recipe, but I don't think they ever came back to post the recipe.

Seen anything like that?

HUGz! Jules
I have a note where the carrot cake is and have found the pumpkin, or at least a pumpkin spice cake. Thank you!!!!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
I have a note where the carrot cake is and have found the pumpkin, or at least a pumpkin spice cake. Thank you!!!!
Would you want to share how to make the carrot cake?

HUGz! Jules
Old 06-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Balance101
Stats: 207/197/140
WOE: hHcg
Start Date: 10/7/13
The original poster tells how she made carrot cake under the Brownie recipe. Not sure if that's what you guys are looking for.
Balance101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Black Bean Brownies (TRIED AND TRUE)
Printable Version

Phase: 1
Preheat Oven: 350
Cooking Time: 30-40

1 15oz. can of UNSEASONED black beans - drained and rinsed
OR 1 1/4 cup cooked beans of any color
4 eggs (extra large)
1 cup Splenda
3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. oil or butter
1 Tbs Vanilla (FULL Tablespoon)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup ricotta cheese or cream cheese

For extra chocolatey goodness:
2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, melted with
2 Tbs. oil/butter in the micro..
Add a couple of Tbs. of splenda..

Then mix this in the batter right before you spread it in the pan.

chopped nuts - optional (I used chopped walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender- blend very, very well. At this point, I decided it needed more chocolate flavor so I did the addition above, then mixed it in.

Pour into an 8x8 baking pan sprayed with cooking spray or oiled with canola or olive oil. Bake for 30-40 minutes. (til toothpick pulls out clean).

Mine took 30 minutes..

I also made a carrot cake using Great Northern Beans/cinnamon/walnuts/2 shredded carrots/1/4 cup of dry milk powder and the basic recipe above not using the chocolate, of course. It was REALLY GOOD.
Okay, if you re-read the last paragraph carefully, it does tell how to make the carrot cake. I had seen that, but did not read it as a recipe, just as an idea. However, now that I've re-read it, it makes sense.

HUGz! Jules
Old 06-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
here are some variantions to the recipe posted on the south beach webiste:

Variations
There are a number of variations on the basic black bean brownie recipe, using different kinds of beans.
These are variations on the basic black bean recipe, above. (sorry, I didn't want to paste that recipe here not to distract from OP's recipe)
Chili chocolate - Add a teaspoon of chili powder to the mix.
Chocolate orange - Include the zest of an orange (but not the juice), with 1 tsp. of orange extract.
Peanut butter - Add 2 Tbsp of sugar-free peanut butter.
For these variations, substitute cannellini (a white bean) for the black beans.
Lemon ginger - Include the zest of a lemon (but not the juice), along with 1 tsp. of lemon extract and 1 tsp. of fresh grated ginger.
Harvest spice pumpkin: Add 1 cup of canned pumpkin, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp salt. Top with chopped pecans.
Cranberry orange: Include the zest of an orange (but not the juice), with 1 tsp. of orange extract. Add 1tsp. fresh grated ginger. Stir in 1/4 cup dried cranberries.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post
Hate to make you read through, but I *think* that someone in this thread did use soy beans ... maybe cooked them for a long time in a pressure cooker first to soften them?

HUGz! Jules
I made this with canned black soybeans and it was fabulous!!!
DBrown8614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown8614 View Post
I made this with canned black soybeans and it was fabulous!!!
Did you cook the soybeans at all, to soften them up?

HUGz! Jules
Old 06-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

No need to since they were canned. The recipe had you blend them, so they worked out very well. Quick recipe too.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No need to since they were canned. The recipe had you blend them, so they worked out very well. Quick recipe too.
Very cool! I'll give it a go!

HUGz! Jules
Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Enjoy!!! My children never noticed it was made with beans LOL. They are so picky and loved it!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #227
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: momtocj7mea
Stats: 282/179/162
WOE: Paleo/Primal..whole foods FTW!
Start Date: 11/30/11
I have made this with black beans and loved it! I am going to try with soybeans tonight to see if I like that as well. It would certainly help cut the carb count
momtocj7mea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #228
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Enjoy!!! My children never noticed it was made with beans LOL. They are so picky and loved it!
I am going to find those cans of black soybeans in my cabinet (purchased so much LC items and don't have extra storage space!). Then if I do tell my family what they are made of, I am hoping they WILL be grossed out and not eat them!!!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Posting my feedback using black soybeans ... it was delicious!! Really the only difference is I think maybe it needs a tad more sweetener, but that's it.

Question: Does anybody have a can of black soybeans? I don't have any more, and I'm trying to figure out how many carbs are in the whole thing. If you have a can in the cupboard, can you tell me how many carbs are in the can?

HUGz! Jules
Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #230
Gadget Gal

Jules, scroll down here for all the nutri info:

Eden Foods Black Soy Beans
Old 06-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Jules, scroll down here for all the nutri info:

Eden Foods Black Soy Beans
Thank you so much! I was so tired when I posted last night.

That is very cool! Only 3 net carbs for the whole can of black soybeans .... so this makes these brownies very low carb!!

Here's how I fixed mine yesterday, and I have to say it was fabulous!!

I diced up 6 big strawberries. I microwaved a brownie for 30 seconds, and then topped it with the strawberries and covered it in Redi-Whip. The mix of chocolate, strawberries and cream was oh-so yummy!!

HUGz! Jules
Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #232
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
They Sure do smell good, but 30 min out of the oven and they are still hot, so I'm afraid to taste them yet. ... but I guess a little nibble won't hurt. Hmm, it tastes like a light weight lightly flavored chocolate cake. It's yummy. Not brownies, but I'm not complaining. I made brownies yesterday for my mechanic, they were thick and really sweet, this is light and fluffy. I used 4 Large ( not XLarge) eggs, Granular Splenda, and cream cheese. Everything else was the same. I wanted to make it base line so I'll know what regular tastes like when I decide to tweak. I think, if I make it richer, the sweetness will take care of itself,maybe add more bakers chocolate not just as swirl.

This was fun to make. So easy!

Here is a photo. I made the chocolate syrup stuff and poured it in after I put the batter in the pan, so I drizzled it and swirled it with a spoon and this is what happened!! Wow the places where the swirls are taste even yummier! I think more chocolate is the key for me. I can imagine this would be a nice yellow/white cake. they tend to me milder and this would be perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: png brownie.png (82.6 KB, 42 views)
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
They Sure do smell good, but 30 min out of the oven and they are still hot, so I'm afraid to taste them yet. ... but I guess a little nibble won't hurt. Hmm, it tastes like a light weight lightly flavored chocolate cake. It's yummy. Not brownies, but I'm not complaining. I made brownies yesterday for my mechanic, they were thick and really sweet, this is light and fluffy. I used 4 Large ( not XLarge) eggs, Granular Splenda, and cream cheese. Everything else was the same. I wanted to make it base line so I'll know what regular tastes like when I decide to tweak. I think, if I make it richer, the sweetness will take care of itself,maybe add more bakers chocolate not just as swirl.

This was fun to make. So easy!

Here is a photo. I made the chocolate syrup stuff and poured it in after I put the batter in the pan, so I drizzled it and swirled it with a spoon and this is what happened!! Wow the places where the swirls are taste even yummier! I think more chocolate is the key for me. I can imagine this would be a nice yellow/white cake. they tend to me milder and this would be perfect.
Cover it and put it in the fridge. I think you'll find it is more dense and fudgy after it has settled and cooled.

HUGz! Jules
Old 07-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #234

Oh yeah, after hearing about the overnight mold incident, I put it in the fridge as soon as it was coole nough not to burn.

You are right, it's much denser after having cooled. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to remove it from the pan before chilling but I'm glad I didn't. I think it helped to condense the residual moisture. still seems like a cake over brownies, but I think I whipped the heck out if it, so it was super bubbly, super flowey and rose to the top of the pan and barely settled at all.

THIS IS FUN! I'm SO tempted to take this to game night and let everyone eat it. It might work unless BF knows I brought it, otherwise he'll warn everyone away from it . He's my worst skeptic. He'd tell everyone it was strange and then I'd have to admit before they tried it that it was bean cake. mmmm, it's really good!

But as much as I like it I won't be able to keep it around. I can already tell I won't be able to eat much of this , not because of self control, but because its so rich and yummy, I feel like I've already had enough of it! I'll either have to freeze it or give it away, cause I can't eat 7 more pieces of this in the near future ( I cut it 3x3, and it's still huge blocks)
Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Now making it with the black soy beans, I don't worry about how much of it I eat. Others might disagree, but with that much fiber, I think it's good for me.

I heat it, put diced strawberries and Redi-Whip on top ... and it is over the top yummmmmmmmy!!

HUGz! Jules
Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #236
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dazzlmebree
Stats: 221.5/198.7/170---Updated
WOE: SB/LC
Start Date: June 2, 2011
Hello!
I'm kind of a newbie here and i was needing some snack items for my vacation that im leaving for tomarrow morning in fact, and whipped this recipe up! This is what i was looking for! i used a low carb creamy peanut butter on top as a "Frosting" and garnished a few nuts on top and it is amaizing! i put it in a container reaady to hit the road but i'm having trouble staying out of it! haha
Thank you so much for the idea and the snack that i was needing!

~BreeAnn
Dazzlmebree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #237

Dazzle, will you let me know how it holds up for your trip? My mom wants to take it on a trip, but we worry because one person had ti mold when it was left on the counter overnight. Will you keep it in a cooler?

I have enjoyed this cake/brownie way too much! I took it to game night and my BF kept his mouth shut when his roomie asked to have some. Roomie ate half a slice with a glass of milk and said it could be sweeter. Buddy ate a slice and said it was very crumbly. Buddy went back for another slice. BF didn't try any and later said he suspected it was lowcarb since I'm trying to reduce and BF refuses to eat AS. His loss, but I'm glad he didn't rat me out. Nobody knows it's Bean cake. but since BF was so nice about it, I think I'll make one with regular sugar just for them.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quite good!!! I had to test before my breakfast, LOL!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #239

This is one surprising recipe isn't it. When I added the extra gooey, it would sink through the batter in spots before I could swirl it and it made big chocolatey pools throughout the batter. I'm gonna add more chocolate syrup either as swirls or stirred into the batter.

Also, I purposely tried this with 1 cup of splenda only. It was sorta sweet enough but not as sweet as you'd expect, so next time I'll use a sweetener blend to equal 1 cup for synergistic effect.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

I was thinking of trying it using one less egg, to see if it would make it fudgier. Any ideas on how using just 3 eggs might help or hurt it?

HUGz! Jules