Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Pork Rind Stuffing/Bread Pudding by Rani

Here are a couple of interesting recipes involving pork rinds..She says the stuffing tastes like the "real thing"..Has anyone ever made this?

Rani's Pork Rind Stuffing
This will stuff a small roaster. Double or triple the recipe if you want more.

* 1 3-4 ounce bag plain pork rinds, lightly crushed
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/2 can of chicken broth
* 1/2 onion, diced
* 2-3 stalks of celery, diced
* Herbs to taste (I use thyme and sage.)
* 2-4 tablespoons butter

Cook the onions and celery in the butter. Toss them with the pork rinds. Pour the beaten egg over the rind and vegetable mixture and toss lightly to combine.

Add up to 1/2 can of chicken broth until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.

Bake as for regular stuffing, in a casserole or in the bird.

This tastes and looks like "real" stuffing!

Bread pudding is my favorite "comfort food," bar none. I developed this recipe after I developed pork rind stuffing recipe. It occurred to me that actually, bread pudding is really just sweet stuffing, so I tried using pork rinds as a sweet dessert. Amazingly, this worked, too. Don't let the ingredients scare you off!!

Rani's Low Carb "Bread" Pudding

* 1 3-ounce bad of plain pork rinds, lightly crushed
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/4 TO 1/3 cup granulated Splenda or other artificial sweetener (to taste)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (to taste)

Mix together the cream, eggs, water, artificial sweetener, vanilla and cinnamon.

Butter a 1 or 1 1/2-quart casserole. Put the lightly crushed pork rinds in the dish and pour the liquid over it.

Turn on the oven and let the casserole sit while the oven preheats to give the pork rinds a chance to absorb the liquid.

Sprinkle the top of the casserole with additional cinnamon and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.

Tastes best warm.

Variations:

* For a fruity flavor, replace some of the sweetener with sugar free gelatin powder.
* For mocha bread pudding, substitute brewed coffee for the water and add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder to the liquid.
* For almond bread pudding, mix 3 tablespoons ground of chopped almonds to the mixture and use almond extract instead of vanilla.
* Sugar free syrups such as DaVinci can be added to the bread pudding as well. For chocolate, add 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and perhaps some sugar free DaVinci chocolate syrup. You could drizzle the baked chocolate bread pudding with sugar free chocolate syrup or a sugar free fudge sauce.
* For a dairy-free version of bread pudding, used canned coconut milk for the liquid.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cricket4t
Stats: 285/200/160
WOE: Started with Atkins/Swithched to Caveman-Type
Start Date: May 3, 2007
I've never seen these recipes but they look promising. I'm saving them and will give the stuffing a try this weekend.
Cricket4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #3

I'm switching my menu..just went to the store and got some Bakenettes to try with a turkey breast I had in the freezer that is ready to cook..Will let you know what my opinion is..I LOVE stuffing and I can't remember in the 6 years of lowcarbing, if I have ever
had this..DUH.

I wished I liked bread pudding..but DH does, so I might make him a tiny one to see what he thinks. I'm "thinking" this would make a nice apple bread pudding..

We could use a package of the Alpine Sugar Free Cider in there..mixed with the water..Then maybe chunk up an apple and put it in there for texture..What do you guys think???

Last edited by CarolynF; 12-28-2007 at 11:15 AM..
Old 12-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
I'm switching my menu..just went to the store and got some Bakenettes to try with a turkey breast I had in the freezer that is ready to cook..Will let you know what my opinion is..I LOVE stuffing and I can't remember in the 6 years of lowcarbing, if I have ever
had this..DUH.

I wished I liked bread pudding..but DH does, so I might make him a tiny one to see what he thinks. I'm "thinking" this would make a nice apple bread pudding..

We could use a package of the Alpine Sugar Free Cider in there..mixed with the water..Then maybe chunk up an apple and put it in there for texture..What do you guys think???
I don't know about the bread pudding. I HATE the pork rind French toast; the taste is just dreadful to me. Bread pudding is a lot like French toast in flavor so I'm thinking that I won't like it. But if your DH likes the pork rind French toast then he will probably like this.

As for the apple I've never had bread pudding with apples. I've had it with raisins but never apple so I really can’t say.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #5

I just made both of these recipes..Almost used a whole bag of Bakenettes for both these recipes..

The texture of the stuffing is a bit spongey..but the flavor is fine..

For the bread pudding:
I added one package of the SF Alpine Drink to 1/2 cup of water..then chopped up 1/2 an apple..and baked it..added some walnuts on the top. It's really not bad at all..Makes like an apple crumble. It needs some whipped cream on top or some LC ice cream..
Old 12-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I just made both of these recipes..Almost used a whole bag of Bakenettes for both these recipes..

The texture of the stuffing is a bit spongey..but the flavor is fine..
Do you think some added almond flour would make the texture of the stuffing less spongy?
Old 12-28-2007, 04:27 PM   #7

Almond flour might have helped with the spongey feeling..I took the cooked stuffing out and sauteed it dry in a frying pan..Not so spongey. We will see what dh says tonight..LOLOL
Old 12-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: hdyhouse
Stats: 335/211/195
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2003
I have used the stuffing recipe, sort of anyway. I used to make my dressing using a combination of regular bread and cornbread. However, since starting this WOE, I have had to make adjustments. I found that dressing recipe using pork rinds and I decided to try using them in place of regular bread in my dressing, in combination with some Atkins corn bread. The result was a very nice dressing. I also substituted unsweetened dried cranberies for the raisins I used to add. I don't know how it would work without the corn bread, but I would not hesitate to try it.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #9

Henry: That does sound good with cornbread added. Of course, we could also add some LC bread OR some of Kevin's bread, too.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: hdyhouse
Stats: 335/211/195
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2003
Carolyn, I went to the pork rinds when I could not get a good l/c bread. I think adding the bread to the rinds gives it a good combination of texture and taste.
hdyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:10 PM   #11

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
had this..DUH.

I love bread pudding! This recipe seems it would be more custardy than bread pudding like-let us know how he likes it Carolyn. Now you've done it-I make a fabulous hc Chocolate Bread Pudding!
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #12

Lisa,

It wasn't very custardy, but I did like the apple taste..The boys ate it and said nothing..LOL.but it was all gone. Those pork rinds are like little sponges..so it wasn't really custardy..Chocolate sounds interesting..maybe you could LC it.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:21 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
So surprised to see Rani's (pronounce Ronnie) recipes here. She has been converting recipes for years. If you have aol she also has here own recipe chat weekly. I used to be part of a small message group years ago when I first started low carb (1998) She was one of the members and gave us all alot of LC recipes.

I love her bread pudding and still make it. I usually make it when I want to fall off the wagon. Would love to see her as part of this group. Who knows? Maybe she is...if so Howdy Rani!!! EJ in NJ
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #14

Yes, Dwight..She does have some great recipes..Maybe she'll stop by..If you "see" her around, tell her to come on in!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
I have used her recipe for homemade barbeque sauce for years. We all love it!

Judy
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:05 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
I sent her an email inviting her to join us.
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #17

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
A few years ago I made TrishZ's pork rind stuffing recipe which is pretty similar. I thought it was horrible and I threw it out. I wrote in my review of the recipe that it had a very odd texture and that it stuck to my teeth.

Pork Rind Stuffing
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote