Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dfc123
Evaporated milk substitute

Happy Holidays everyone! Sorry if this question has been answered a million times, however, can almond milk be subbed for evaporated milk? Would I need to make up for the change in thickness? I want to make pumpkin pie. Thanks!

Fern
dfc123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
HI. I am sure someone will be along to tell you the correct substitution. I just wanted to say I made a pumpkin pie with almond milk and it wasn't good. There just seemed no substance to it. I made another one- the Libby's recipe, and used heavy cream instead of evaporated milk and Splenda for the sugar and it was simply delicious. Like the real deal. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mule_Freak
Stats: 145/125-130/135
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Oct. 2003
I make pumpkin pie but use heavy cream in place of the evap. milk, works like a charm, Good Luck
Mule_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
I use half and half for the evaporated milk and it turns out great. Fewer calories, too!

Merry Christmas everyone.

JL
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
I wouldn't use Almond milk as it is really to thin to replicate the silky quality of evaporated milk. You can use Cashew milk, made with 1/2 the water which works great.
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:42 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dfc123
Thanks for the suggestions! I need a non-diary sub. Cashew milk is delicious, but the taste is so strong I think I might end up with a cashew pumpkin pie. It is also kind of carby. I wonder if I could add Not Sugar or something like that to thicken/silken almond milk? Happy Day for those celebrating Christmas.

Fern
dfc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrs I
WOE: low carb
Start Date: December 2005
Hi
My mom uses coffee mate as a non dairy sub in recipies - sounds sick but it's not.
mrs I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc123 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I need a non-diary sub. Cashew milk is delicious, but the taste is so strong I think I might end up with a cashew pumpkin pie. It is also kind of carby. I wonder if I could add Not Sugar or something like that to thicken/silken almond milk? Happy Day for those celebrating Christmas.

Fern
[COLOR=Red]Maybe, but If you are making your own Almond milk, I'd not only add something like that, I'd make it stronger (use more almonds/or less water). If you can use the soy, I might also add lecithin to it to help thicken it.

The creamer would be a good option, except for the trans fats. But sometimes there are trade offs!!!! (Most of it also has corn syrup. But I'm not sure if the liquid creamer do or not. ... Probably.) My mother used to use creamer for a dairy sub when she had a problem with dairy.

Hmmmm just a thought, and I haven't tried it, so I don't know, but I wonder if you could reduce almond milk by heating it slowly to make more like evaparated milk? As I said, I really don't know. But I'd add the lecithin or thicknthin to it too if I did. But go easy on the TnT, and maybe add it after you've reduced it down. This theory of reducing it may be all wet!
[/COLOR]

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote